Fantasy and Magical Realism

>Magical Realism is Fantasy written by people who speak Spanish - Gene Wolfe
Was he right? What is exactly the difference between the two?

almost right.

fantasy is generally where everything takes place in an invented world (The Shire, Melnibone, Frankston, etc). magic realism is where everything takes place in a conventional setting but with one or two fantasy elements thrown in. the standard is "why is there a purple Giraffe in my yard?"

So King Arthur is magical realism?

He's wrong.

> 9th century Wales
> conventional setting

if you insist.

Stop being an obtuse faggot

"I see the judges have made their decision.. now let us see them enforce it."
- Andrew Jackson

Someone on Veeky Forums a long time ago described magical realism as "wetback fantasy." Seems apt.

Lampo begs to differ

>Reading spanish genre fiction writers rather than Tutuola's epic myth inspired works
Gee, y'all.

I consider magical realism where the author tries to incorporate groundrules to the magical aspects of the plot and abilities of the characters who use magic,instead of a Deus ex Mechana of typical fantasy writing. Gandalf is a Wizard,but nothing is explained about what he can do. It could be that the fire magic he uses can be attributed to the Ruby elven ring Narya he has recieved from Cirdan the Shipwright,as can the occasional invisibility he seems to rely on his comings and goings. Nothing is certain,so any interpretation is possible. On the other hand,the Vampires in Ann Rice novels are more defined,and behave within the structures of their abilities. The magic transforms the body into a thing requiring blood,and needing to shun sunlight,until time increases the powers to wean the individuals off of both necessities. Harry Potter tries to define its world,but the attempts are not well concieved and inconsistent with its superimposing the Wizarding World over the "real" one.

I'm sure other examples are out there...but you get my idea,right?

That's... wrong.

>realism means realistic
l m a o

Magical Realism is a marketing nomenclature to put latinoamerican authors in first world bookshops. Most authors don't share a lot of tendencies within their works but what could be said about it is that approaches that "latinoamerican mistic" to realistic settings, it's basically a light approach to our reality, where you find odd shit because lol we savages along with real literary merit because lol we not so savages.

Secondary world fantasy is only one kind of fantasy.

>impliying that the term is just used outside Latam

I'm a latam myself, friend. I know this shit just because I'm a latam.

I'm from Wales, it's pretty conventional

you need to live in a romance language country atleast to know the difference. and theres lots of post colonial spanish and portuguese countries. once you understand the grain of that even from two countries on opposite spots on the globe, you will understand.

It's a throwaway witticism that mocks people for inventing a term for Borges's work so they wouldn't have to resolve the conflict between being literary and a fantasy writer. It's besides the point to wonder if he is "right".

do you get a lot of dudes in primitive armor trying to take over the British Isles? because if you do, i'm one hundred percent behind you, bach. ausfag here.

also i think "Cau Dy wyneb a Ffwcio dy ewyrth!" is an awesome battle-cry.