Fell HARD for the stem meme

>fell HARD for the stem meme
>graduated from UC Berkely with 3.4 GPA in MechE
>literally no jobs
>friends with liberal arts degrees are making $60k+ starting

nice job brainlet, should've gotten a Women's Studies degree and found a sugar momma

did u.. get internships? suck professor dick? work experience? anything??? engineering is a huge competitive meme so gpa isnt always gonna carry you to a job buddeh

>tfw dad is president of engineering company and I could have been 300K starting
>didn't become an engineer because I thought it was a meme

the grass is greener user

I did biochem at Cal and now I'm a pharmacist. Feels average, man.

>3.4 gpa

>3.4 gpa
lol

I fucking cringe everytime I'm reminded that Americans are given As for breathing. What an uneducated shithole country.

>fell HARD for the Wildlife science meme
>live in the forest behind my old house
>sleep under leaves
>subside on berries and leftover boy scout food
>currently hiding in a pile of leaves behind a public library to post this
I can't go inside, I look more beast than man now.

Not the problem. That should be a more than good enough gpa for industry which usually asks for 3.0+. OP probably has no social skills or something.

Sounds like a good life.

>literally no jobs
you have a 3.4, what do you expect idiot

>tfw fell for the CS meme
>150k starting

in SF where it's $40,000 per year just in rent for my 1 bedroom apartment :D

150k STARTING!!!

Funny, in CT it seems like every engineering position I find is for mechanical. I can't find electrical to save my life.

>150k starting

Damn son

Hold up. This is sincerely the first place where I ever heard a 3.4 is bad for industry. Last I checked it was good for anything other than grad school and the very selective companies.

international students average 3.7

[citation desperately needed]

serves you right for picking a degree just because you thought it's practical. because of people like you the market is flooded.
once people start studying what they like (and not feel like they even have to study something just for money) the market will go back to normal. until then - have fun sponging off your parents.

this is true
if everyone needed 4.0 to get a job there wouldn't be enough engineers to go around, retard.

that's just what my university(very large highly ranked) average is for the international students. they get high GPAs, and take your job. sorry

>110k per year after housing expense

and your point is??

it doesn't end there retard. you probably save like 30K per year if you actually try to.

>tfw 3.54 GPA in Math BA
>Hired as an electrical engineer right out of undergrad
>also in grad school for applied math

the MEME was true
it really is 300K starting.

More info though so other math majors can also live the meme:
>made a lot of connections with professors
>wrote 2 mathematical research papers for my resume (thesis in math + engineering paper in nonlinear control)
>learned C and MATLAB whie in undergrad
>applied to about 30 jobs before getting hired

>saving 30K is a small amount
I'm not the user you replied to, but being able to save up an amount that is equal to 2x fast food salary sounds good to me.

When did you write your research papers?

How did professor connections help and how did you make them? Ive been talking to a few of mine but wondering if it was worth.

not him but i spoke to a math prof in 1st year about stuff like this, and at the end of 2nd year he took me on to begin a research project

basically if you show that you're actually in it for the long haul and that you can get good grades, a prof will be likely willing to take you on. you just need to show initiative in working hard and talking to them.

sure, but treating it like you're pocketing 100K every year or whatever is just not true. and it's probably not 30K either. you pay more for E V E R Y T H I N G in those places.

This. That's actually very, very good for an elite engineering program. The average in his class was probably around 2.4 or something.

>UC Berkley
Kek. The moment an employer reads that he knows you are some antifa communist troublemaker. You aren't getting any job.

no it isn't. my school is huge and the average is 3.75 for international students

>The moment a meme reads meme he knows meme meme meme meme. You aren't getting any meme.
Go back.

>sample size: one fucking sebset of students in one fucking university
Not enough people to have a significant effect, buddy.

Eh. I go to an elite university and average freshman GPA for engineering is 2.7. Upon graduation it's about 3.3.

i did my research papers in my 3rd year. I also took extra classes to graduate in 3 years.

Specifically they helped me get recommendation letters. also my current job as an EE is through a professor.

yeah but those chinese cheat a lot

>CS student
>Never talked to a single person or made a friend all 4 years
>Never talked to any professors
>Never had a job, internship or anything
>2.5 GPA
>No connections and shit grades so no job will hire me
>Still refuse to be a fast food wage slave
>Gonna be living with my parents until they die, then either die myself or get neetbux

Become a Physical Therapist or a Nurse, you memer

>grauduated from UC Berkeley
haha no you didn't
anyone who's smart enough to go to UC Berkeley doesn't waste their time on Veeky Forums

Wew. I'm at pic related as well. Biochemistry, graduating this Spring

Glad to be getting a diploma just as our school rankings took a nose dive

>UCB
>Smart
>Not an antifa gender/black studies wasteland

UCB routinely ranks among as one of, if not the best Universities in the world for Veeky Forums. Sure the liberal arts department is full of hippies but most of the rest of the student body is apolitical. And that's not even going into the fact that many of the people who start shit at protests there don't even go to the school.

Go find some integrator company. No one wants to do that shit because you travel to bumfuck cornstown 5 months/year

No

maybe for its past reputation, but not anymore.

You didn't fall for the right meme. You should have picked pure math : ^ )

What does that picture have to do with anything...?

Pharmacist is a respectable job, regardless of whether the work is menial.

Don't bother, user, everyone on here is either eurotrash or a neet at their local college and will trash talk top schools while trying to convince you they're getting the same quality of instruction at their cc as you are at a top 10

>looks at resume
>sees school
>UCB
>YOURE HIRED
thats how the world works

One of the biggest benefits to going to a top-tier college is research opportunities and internship recruiting. If you did nothing besides grind in class, you aren't going to get shit, especially considering that plenty of your classmates are probably taking internships or research themselves.

Most UCB stem grads will continue onto grad school and undergrad ranking (and GPA) is weighed heavily in admissions, but besides that, it really does work like that sometimes. Alumni networks are a huge advantage and if you get to an interview and the guy doing it sees you both went to, e.g., Georgia Tech (a highly ranked school that graduates a lot of engineers/scientists), he is much much more likely to hire you. I know this burns people, but it's true. Companies are not looking for the best talent, but good "fits" for company culture, etc., and if half the employees all hail from the same school, it adds an element of cohesiveness

this desu
i just got the job because of my friend who was hired before and because I went to the uni the boss like

Alright keep stroking your dick thinking about how amazing and exclusive your school is

This is completely false. I'm a postdoc at Cal and Veeky Forums is my go-to time waster.

I'm not. I went to to a shitty undergrad, did well (3.9 science GPA/3.8 cumulative) and had to make big leaps to overcome the shitty name. I tell like it is and coming from a top school is a huge advantage. It doesn't even have to be elite. Penn State is mediocre but has an excellent alumni network, as does UVA, mines, UT, and even a&m

The way the blue banner wibbles gives me an autism flare up

>quality of instruction
Nice meme
You're responsible for your own "instruction" wherever you go, and you're almost totally on your own past the first year of grad school. Get the "hard" book and learn from that, test yourself to a higher standard, whatever. Your school serves only to credential your knowledge/skills at a certain level and superimpose a superficial structure over the process.

>past the first year of grad school
>falling for the grad school meme

>MechE
>3.4 GPA
Congrats, you’re a slightly above average MechE, on par with civil. ME is easy, it’s where the idiots who fail out of other engineering fields go to, before they fail down to business.

You need to stand out, so either 4.0, internships, recommendations, know people etc.

This is what most EEs say. They always attract the saltiest people

>t. asshurt CivE

>ME is easy
Attend a single lecture on CFD, then you can talk.

I study mechatronics engineering. how would you rank that?

EE>ChemE>MechE>CivE

It all makes sense now

Let me guess:
>You were the kid who just did classes without doing ECs
>Never reached out to professors or networked
>No internships
>"focusing on academics" while smoking every 2 days

3rd year 3.98 Cal MechE here

>even a&m
Nigga we're a cult

It's probably because they skew the ratings for international students to match your grade inflation.

Most uni websites tell me a 60% from my country is considered a 4.0 for admissions purposes.

>saving

For what purpose? The economy is going collapse well before we retire.

The problem is that any non-retarded EE undergrad who went through the effort to get his PR will always outearn you doing the same work. So why not just get a Eng ugrad and study math in freetime and postgrad since you end up doing the same work anyway.

Also let everyone learn from OP no one cares about GPA and you still seem like an idiot in an interview. Get experience and references.

He's not wrong.

Engineering professionals are extremely conservative. They like their swearing and intolerance to pussies so if they think you'll ruin their work culture it's easy enough to toss your CV in the bin.

Why don’t you go back and get an engineering degree then? Are you fucking retarded?

>literally have door open
>decide to neck yourself instead
just wow

How is it possible that all americlaps have such ridiculously high gpas? Last semester my faculty had exactly 1 (one) person with a 4.0 bachelor the average was around 1.7-2.3.

Didn't mean to link your post.