When? When are we going to make the next step in evolution?

When? When are we going to make the next step in evolution?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599?via=ihub
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9039115#p9043898
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8205938#p8206096
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9072343#p9072588
warosu.org/sci/thread/S7644877#p7651596
warosu.org/sci/thread/S7644877#p7650927
warosu.org/sci/thread/S6862166#p6862235
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8800448#p8806774
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8369061#p8369080
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8339168#p8339266
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8322068#p8322156
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8261316#p8261569
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8261316#p8261598
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8230504#p8245636
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8219875#p8220852
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8208158#p8208194
warosu.org/sci/thread/S7530472#p7532449
warosu.org/sci/thread/S7412900#p7419557
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Evolution doesn't have steps.

Not my point. I wanted to know Veeky Forums's opinion on transhumanism or whatever it's called.

My opinion is that humanity will fractionalize into various extremist tribes and wipe each other out.

You asked when we're going to make the next step in evolution. The fact evolution doesn't have steps is pretty relevant to a question about the next step evolution doesn't actually have.

Everyone is using smartphones now. A gadget that didn't existed 40 years ago.

There are no need to implant things in the body. Our body reject most metals except the expensive titanium. Implants are harmful to our body.

Our evolution will be primarily biologic. Our offspring will have the qualities we have & we value when seeking a Wife.

For a Smarter offspring seek a Smarter Wife.
For a Beautiful offspring seek a Beautiful Wife.
For a Mighty offspring seek a Mighty *Father in Law*

But many Normies will have a Dumber offspring since they seek a Dumb Wife.

Transhumanists seem to overestimate modern science, technology can improve and allow for, say, synthetic limbs, but uploading minds is such a complex task I sincerely doubt humanity will ever be able to achieve it.

>Not my point.

Try saying what you mean and mean what you say, instead of something else.

Humanity would need to come together first for that to even happen.

It's already happening, it's been happening for thousands of years. The tribes have nukes now though.

If we were to achieve immortality, how would you call it? For me it seems like a big step forward.
>the west will fractionalize into various extremist tribes and wipe each other out.
Fixed it for you
Well it doesn't have to be GiTS-tier. How about cloning organs etc. etc.? I am just talking about achieving immortality and altering/upgrading the body.
Maybe, but what about the rest of the body?

>If we were to achieve immortality, how would you call it?
I would call it immortality. Why are you even bringing up evolution? That wouldn't really be a natural selection mediated event.

It depends, curing cancer could be done before the dawn of this century, and immortality should follow.

>Well it doesn't have to be GiTS-tier. How about cloning organs etc. etc.? I am just talking about achieving immortality and altering/upgrading the body.

Cloning Organs is quite feasible (achievable attainable / viable/ realistic).

It's possible for every organ except the Brain.

Cloning Brain Memory is almost impossible. Even if possible the Clone will not be you. You will die, a clone isn't you.

gtfo you obsolete meatbag.

>How about cloning organs etc. etc.?
By Stem Cells.

You can also inject Stem Cells to regenerate the entire body including the Brain.

So Yes, It's possible to extend the life forever

By cloning Stem Cells & injecting in your body for regeneration.

It's not feasible. Ignoring the chemical aspects (food processing, metabolism, etc) most of the frequencies generated when you put current through conductive metals, AC or DC, act on cell membranes and are very close to the natural resonant frequencies in the intercellular space. ie, it screws up electron transport, proper response to receptor binding, and ion channel function. Remember, the phospholipid bilayer has many charged proteins in and through it, and it's coated with glycoproteins with charged sialic acid terminals. The body is primarily an electrical system, the brain especially. You'd need shielding and something that allows current and radiation out similar to the skull. Even then.

I became infatuated with this idea as well, watched a lot of stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Lain, Texhnolyze, etc. I've got trigeminal neuralgia and a fucked up digestive system, and replacing the body seemed appealing. But there are better approaches, and I doubt it'll ever come about. We're already made of programmable, self replicating machinery. At the very least a superior replacement should be capable of self maintenance.

eventually you'll hit the limit of information your brain can store.

they really need to make a story about immortals that suffer from having full brains.

Chad Übermensch > > > Virgin Trans Human

Disabled Peoples' Lives suck and You know that

>eventually you'll hit the limit of information your brain can store.
Immortality alone wouldn't do that to you. You forget things all the time and would continue to forget things while being immortal unless you're assuming there's some other separate procedure you went through to not forget anything anymore.

>eventually you'll hit the limit of information your brain can store.

There are no need to hoard useless trivia in your biological Brain since we can already access easily a lot of information by internet without implants.

You can simply forget/delete irrelevant information/knowledge inside your Brain. Just like in the HD of your computer.

Keep just the important & relevant knowledge in your Brain.

>they really need to make a story about immortals that suffer from having full brains.
Been done a number of times. There was also a Star Trek episode centered around that. The brain being a finite state machine, and eventually iterating to a point where novelty and enjoyment was mechanically impossible. If I recall, the primary cause of death for these beings was suicide. They just became tired. Similar stories have been written about civilzations that solved all of their problems, eliminated all conflict, provided for all of their needs, and then fizzled out in apathy.

it's only going to get better. they have wired robot arms to primate brains. the primates eventually figure out how to think the arm into moving and feeding themselves.

>Elves, Vampires, Gods, Angels, Wizards & other Mythological Beings should suffer from Full Brains.
No they shouldn't. Where are you getting this idea that none of these creatures ever forget things?

The point is that humanity has always been fractionalized as tribes and has never come together in the first place.

>they really need to make a story about immortals that suffer from having full brains.

Interestingly I don't know any Fantasy Movie / Anime about that.

Elves, Vampires, Gods, Angels, Wizards & other Mythological Beings should suffer from Full Brains.

Because they live for hundreds of years

Where they store the Memory? Magical Hard Drives? Since they are based on us Humans They should have a limited Brain too.

>Interestingly I don't know any Fantasy Movie / Anime about that.
Texhnolyze is an anime that has the lattermost as part of it.

Ghost in Shell level Cyborgs or Fantasy Mythological Beings don't exist.

However they are a source of Inspiration of what we want to become:

Living hundred of years
as a Übermensch
or a Cyborg

Genyse is active

>Texhnolyze is an anime that has the lattermost as part of it.
This Anime looks interesting. I'll watch it later.

>But there are better approaches, and I doubt it'll ever come about.
You mean I will never be turbo chad with a titanium exoskeleton fucking cyborg stacy in our virtual reality while driving 200mph on my hybrid liter bike exploring every inch of the world, studying philosophy for hundreds of years and taking up every hobby there is? You are crushing my dreams famalam :(

By the time prosthetic hands are able to do everything a regular hand can we'll already have cloned limbs.

Endoskeleton*

Cybernetic prosthesis will be cheaper and faster to fix people. Since you can mass produce generic parts and store them. Then a few surgeries to attach and physical therapy.

Organics have to be slowly grown on demand. Painstaking grafting. Anti rejection drugs.

It's damn good. I can't seem to find a decent quality version of it though.

The US raws are the best version (soft telecine, japanese are hard). Should be fine just watching with no further processing.

In reality though, the US version is a mix of hard and soft telecine, and the pattern changes dynamically (aligned to scene cuts). I was making a release a number of years ago, and fixed a lot of problems, but never finished. Don't have the hardware or will to do it the way I want to right now, though. VFR was also a pain at the time, as rescuing some orphaned fields would require that, along with the endings which are interlaced credits on a progressive background. Etc.

Regardless, US raws are fine. They should be on nyaa. I might make a release eventually, but I can't imagine running QTGMC or a bunch of lossless encodes on this shitty laptop.

Thank you for the effort and know that it does not go unnoticed.
I'll grab the US raws and see if it's improved from my version.

Everything has steps.

Biologically we're the same we were 4000 years ago. The only thing that's changed is our ability to store vast amounts of information in books and the ability to distill all the useful information into something a child can easily access.

>Everyone is using smartphones now. A gadget that didn't existed 40 years ago.
EXACTLY THIS!! Cellphones connected to the internet are the next evolutionary step in what's made mankind grow so much in the past 4000 years.

It's grown so much a cell phone on the internet is almost like a SECOND BRAIN!

So how do we improve on this second brain. What if we had a device like an EEG and used machine learning algorithms along with personal training to be able to request information instantly with a single thought, and then a google glass type display to instantly show you the information. How fast could the brain surf the web when unhampered by a mouse and keyboard? I believe it would be VERY simple to make this system of computer aided information recall/requesting faster than our ability to remember some of our own memories. I say some because there are always somethings that are hard to recall and take time to pluck out of your brain. So the real challenge, or techno singularity time, would be when this assisted recall device (I'm naming it) works faster than your ability to recall any and all your memories.

When that happens it'll reshape the human condition.

>It's grown so much a cell phone on the internet is almost like a SECOND BRAIN!
But I hope that the Plug/Jacks that will connect the gadgets with our brain won't change so fast like the Apple Products.
I don't wanna need to buy extra dongles.

Too bad cell phones cause brain damage. Woops!

And to the sources I mentioned:
Everything by W.R. Adey or S. Bawin, including "Nonlinear Electrodynamics in Biological Systems", 1984.

A few examples:
Adey 1981 - Tissue Interactions With Nonionizing Electromagnetic Fields
Adey 1988 - Effects of Microwaves on Cells and Molecules
Adey 1990 - Joint Actions of Environmental Nonionizing Electromagnetic Fields and Chemical Pollution in Cancer Promotion
Adey 1993 - Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields
Bawin 1973 - EFFECTS OF MODULATED VERY HIGH FREQUENCY FIELDS ON SPECIFIC BRAIN RHYTHMS IN CATS
Bawin 1975 - EFFECTS OF MODULATED VHF FIELDS ON THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
Bawin 1976 - Sensitivity of calcium binding in cerebral tissue to weak environmental electric fields oscillating at low frequency
Bawin 1978 - Ionic factors in release of Ca2+ from chicken cerebral tissue by electromagnetic fields
Bawin 1996 - Extremely-Low-Frequency Magnetic Fields Disrupt Rhythmic Slow Activity in Rat Hippocampal Slices

Raines 1981 "ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD INTERACTIONS WITH THE HUMAN BODY: OBSERVED EFFECTS AND THEORIES" (NASA)

That provides a solid foundation, more modern and specific stuff is readily available. You can start with:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599?via=ihub
And start following citations. There's a lot out there showing calcium channel activation, single and double strand breaks, cell death in the hippocampus, dentate gyrus, and cerebellum, albumin staining from blood brain barrier leakage, and altered dendritic morphology with reduced arborization in pyramidal neurons. Etc.

There is also the NMRI bibliography of US and Soviet literature compiled by Zorach Glaser. Some of this research is easy to find, some of it isn't.

Possibly never. Artificial limbs have one major defect: they can't repair themselves. Now, this is not a problem if we're talking about arms/legs prosthetics; internal organs, though, or articulations are completely another matter (you would have to undergo dangerous surgical operations every few years only to maintain them).
Cellular regeneration is the long-term future, my friend

Well...... There's also mounting, rejection, power sources, etc. Which are all major defects, and do not have proper solutions on the horizon.

Deus Ex - Human Revolution actually handled this quite well. Jensen's arms are crudely cabled and bolted to his mid-collarbone in a lot of the concept art. Shit just can't be connected well enough and sustain the same directional forces that actual limbs can. Not to mention having very different specific gravity.

Lol, we're actively trying to kill off our most advanced race, why would you think evolution is due to progress?

Or just stop reproducing and have a machine that creates new humans from base DNA to prevent genetic fuck ups.

I'm already (t)here.

I just got an iphone SE fml
...so should I eliminate electronics from my bedroom?

This is who you're talking to when you respond to a post talking about how microwave pulses/emf/rf/vlf/whatever is bad for you and will wreck your life through vgccs. The following posts outline one man's mental illness and egotistical delusions. It's pointless to argue with him.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S9039115#p9043898
He admits he's dumb as a box of rocks.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8205938#p8206096
Autistic textwall about how he's a clever superhuman with undiagnosed MS and self diagnosed bipolar and an insane skeleton

warosu.org/sci/thread/S9072343#p9072588
Goes on about smart meters, the evils of processed food, and how he's so unique among sheep.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S7644877#p7651596

warosu.org/sci/thread/S7644877#p7650927

warosu.org/sci/thread/S6862166#p6862235
Gets told he's nuts by a doctor

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8800448#p8806774
This speaks for itself

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8369061#p8369080
I'm a special warrior pls stroke my ego

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8339168#p8339266
This entire thread is him wigging out about how he's totally not insane and the evils of shrinks.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8322068#p8322156
Him going on about his genius again.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8261316#p8261569
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8261316#p8261598
Protip: Don't constantly call people myopic if you want to remain user.
Muh jaw problems muh nerve probems

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8230504#p8245636
Spends half a thread freaking out about MUH JAW MUH SUPER HEALING MUH LOGIC and CT scans, plus some of his wacky medical adventures.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8219875#p8220852
He's some sort of genius philosopher.

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8208158#p8208194
Muh logical framework cures acne

demented meme that will lead to our enslavement, it be better if we became enlightened but all the fedoralords deny consciousness and have hard-ons for robots wafius so that will never happen

warosu.org/sci/thread/S7530472#p7532449
>Junction that filters pain signals
Ayy lmao we got a regular JC Denton here

warosu.org/sci/thread/S7412900#p7419557
Turns out he's a dumb tweaker who thinks he's smarter than any doctor.

>Interestingly I don't know any Fantasy Movie / Anime about that.
This is basically the main point of the Silmarillion. No, it's not exactly "full brain," but Tolkien has his own, definite ideas about the implications of immortality on peoples' lives and motives.

Typical 'I fucking love science' thread.

I just want to cut the brain out of my body while it's still young and at its peak and transplant it into a robot that will keep it there forever so I can keep learning. It's a scary thought that in 10 years my brain just won't learn as good as it does now, and even worse, some day my body stops working while my brain could keep going.
Organics suck, I just want to keep thinking forever, is that too much to ask for?

I'm working on it nigga. Pic related, I work with these autistic fucks

Well The Last Question by Issac Asimov is pretty much right up your alley. Awesome short story.

It's already been made : autism

THIS!!! PLESE I JUST WANNA LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you me ddesu?

> Cloning Brain Memory is almost impossible.
Yeah? Any formal proof of that?

> Even if possible the Clone will not be you.
I'd argue that it would be me for all intents and purposes. If you disagree, then I can say that you are not the same person as you from month ago, that person is ded.

I've been doing some amateur thinking about how brain memory cloning could be done. First I considered just performing a scan at microscopic or even quantum level and just recreating the structure. However observer effect will likely complicate this shit.

Other than just memory cloning there's also personality cloning/digitization, the real topic of this thread. The difference is that it affects how you act, not just what you know, reflexes, instincts, inhibitions and all that shit. So, my idea is what if we use Machine Learning. Create an AI agent that "shadows" a person in his daily life, learning about how he acts in different situations and refining the model, till its behaviour is indistinguishable from the original. Now that's what I would call immortality.

One problem: How do you make stem cells regenerate the exact same stuff that was there before and not some random shit. You know how cancer works?

not him but that's not the difficult part actually. A particular serum containing specific transcription factors used to induce a specific cell type. Your comment on cancer makes me think you have no idea what you're talking about

All I can say those pussies didn't deserve that immortality. If I had it, I'd find new and new ways to keep myself entertained.

I know of a solution.

Progress needs adversity and all that shit?

Ye, cause that worked out sooo well for krypton...

Nice fanfic, bro.

>Robot shadows you throughout life, mimicking your actions until its indistinguishable with you
>You die
>You have no idea if the plan worked because you're dead now
Bulletproof

There's a guy who put a chicken heart in a jar, and kept it alive for 40 years by changing out the fluid every single day. The chicken heart literally out lived him, and the day after he died they discontinued his experiment. It could have lived forever. If you think about it it makes sense. The human body is multiple organs working in unison. If a single organ fails it could be the end of you. If you eliminate all organs except the brain, then all you need to worry about it keeping a single organ alive and healthy. Should be easy, right?

I want to be a brain in a jar that lives forever. Just give me an internet connection and I'll be all set, some VR environment to live in, and a robotic arm attached to a RC car to feed myself and change out my brain juice with.

Huh. I thought the whole point of silmarillion was "muh worldbuilding".

I'm with you bro. If there's one thing worth living for is to keep learning new stuff.

Anybody can read it and see it's the same guy.

I still don't understand, do you? The robot becomes you. What you really are isn't some specific collection of particles. It's their configuration, a pattern.

Tomorrow

You'd still need someone to change water in the jar regularly.

That's what the robot is for. Just remote control it. Or you could have a large tank of the stuff with an automated system to change it out. Or both, redundancy is good when it comes to life support.

shit, nice idea

Jesus christ you are dense. A circuit board cannot have the same processes as a brain, regardless of how powerful it is. (Basic computer science)

And observing the output of a function over a limited domain does not necessarily mean you can recreate the original function (Basic high school math)

In short >>>/global/rules/2

Nope, not at all. Tolkien was deeply interested in immortality.

>REEEEEEEEEEEE

If you can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter.

>A circuit board cannot have the same processes as a brain, regardless of how powerful it is. (Basic computer science)
That's not computer science, it's an arbitrary bullshit claim based on nothing at all.

The difference between what exactly? I have a feeling you're just shitposting to save face and actually have no substantial criticism.

>A circuit board cannot have the same processes as a brain, regardless of how powerful it is. (Basic computer science)

Do you even ANN, bro?

Sure it's similar. So are apples and oranges.

Hmm. So I guess EPFL is full of quacks and lunatics then.

Meh, you get the same juice from both anyway. Well, except the latter have a bit less apple concentration.

You're about to get replied to by a thousand searle shitposters crying "that's not the same thing!"

How do we get from "Meh" to "The robot becomes you"?

Yeah, well abacus and calclulator.exe are not the same thing either, but guess what?
IT.
Does.
Not.
Matter.

Idk, you're the one who sets arbitrary goals.

It'll come when it comes; It's like a zen process. Without allowing the water to fall, there is no waterfall.

No, I am not a robot. Yet.

The fact it works is pretty decent evidence it's the same general concept. What are the chances a virtual structure that models the high level notion of weighted connections between neurons would let you build working image recognition and self-driving cars without that model having something to do with actual brain function?

>What are the chances a virtual structure that models the high level notion of weighted connections between neurons would let you build working image recognition and self-driving cars without that model having something to do with actual brain function?
English, please. And no, neural nets are not star trek tier technology.

I'm the guy who wrote the second post you cited. Not sure what's non-English about it.
Also I didn't say it was Star Trek tier. Image recognition and self-driving cars exist right now and work using backprop nets.

Star trek is sci-fi. Sure, it has predicted/inspired some recent tech advancements, but that doesn't mean that all cool new tech is going to be like it.

interested user here. Could you elaborate on your pic?

Pic related.

I'm interested in dedicating my life for this cause, but what field does Veeky Forums think is the best candidate for transhumanism?