/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Lazy Man Edition
Since nobody was in the mood to make a Thread last time i'll just do it now so when I wake up the general isn't 404.

>what are you reading?
>how is it so far?
>expected releases?
>buyers remorse: what shit book were you shilled?

Fantasy
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

e-reading.club/bookreader.php/69834/Le_Guin_-_Solitude.html
isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?35507
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gene Wolfe is objectively the greatest living American author.

Donate to my charity user

Second Gentleman Bastards book. Only a few chapters in but so far I'm enjoying it as much as the first - which is to say it's perfect for killing time, but not something I feel the need to pour through in a single sitting.

What's some good political scifi? Without ayyyliens.

I took a Sci-Fi course, reading Delaney and Dick now, and watching Tarkovsky and shit.

Got any Sci-Fi criticism books you'd rec?

The ones I can think of are more fantasy-centered. What did your course tell you? The TTC course makes a big deal out of Delaney because he's gay and black but his language that makes you betray people sounds really interesting. Makes more sense at least than a language that lets you see the future.

Hey /sffg/ let's read a short story.
e-reading.club/bookreader.php/69834/Le_Guin_-_Solitude.html
Ursula K. Le Guin, Solitude, I read it once and thought it was kind of neat, came back to it and didn't speed read and it was a horror story. It's anthropological SF about a society where adults don't talk to each other, not even on the internet.

They did give us some books, but I thought you'd have something more based here, as is usually the case.

Yeah, the language thing is interesting, but they are probably forcing him because he's gay as you said.

>Atwood
>Le Guin
Them too, because they are women, I guess. Although Le Guin is fun.

Yeah, Le Guin's a legit good author, much, much better at shorts than novels though. I have never met anyone who likes Atwood.

I could give you some neat stuff about fantasy but I haven't found much good SF criticism. You might like Appendix N, it's about a guy reading the books Gygax recommended in the back of the first D&D and finding hidden gem after hidden gem. It's a neat perspective that goes back to way before anyone tried to make SF literary, taking all these works on their own terms and not for what they're subverting. There's a noisy fanbase springing up around it but Jeffro's got a good style.

Our very own Aramini published a couple of books on Wolfe, so technically SF criticism but it's all Wolfe-centered.

Ah, Le Guin's Language of the Night has some good stuff. A lot of her observations on SF are way off though imo.

So I've watched The Magicians tv show. It was a good enjoyment. So I liked Julia story a lot, especially part about false goddess, Chrisitians symbols, you know. So any books about these themes: gods summoning in modern setting, good gods turn evil, like that?

inb4 Buffy novelizations

Has anyone read Sins of Empire yet? It's been out for a few days. I guess I was absent on launch day, probably missed the fans.

just finished Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy. I thought it was pretty good. Scott Brick was an amazing narrator otherwise I don't think I would've gotten through some of the slower parts in the first book...but once I got to the end of book one I was hooked. Also really liked City of Mirrors, wasn't at all what I expected from the third book in a trilogy.

...also Zero's backstory made me cry a bit.

Gene Wolfe >>>>>> Your favourite author

And you wonder why people detest Wolfe fanboys. You don't actually like books, you just want to feel superior and smart.

American Gods?

Does anyone know anything similar to Blood Song by Anthony Ryan ? With a lot of fighting/battles and an op warrior MC.

If you like books so much what do you have against good ones?

How did you like Dhalgren and Hogg?

>So I've watched The Magicians tv show.
I can assume you read the books that series was based on right?

No one was shilling it, no one talked about it for that matter. The author didn't instill trust when he rushed that third book. I have it bookmarked and will get to it sometime this year, it's not something I would drop all my current books to read.

Same shit will happen with ADARE and the blood song guy when they drop their books this year.

How is that Catholicism coming along?

I'm curious, which book is most 'catholic'?

I like it when I read about it in books but then whenever I meet the real thing I feel uncomfortable and slightly disgusted and just want to go back to my books. I like Christian writers but IRL everyday Christians just aren't my kind of people. But then I don't like people in general. They're not like the ones in my books.

Summae Theologica

>Summae Theologica

Should have used one of those breaking sound barrier effect just under the sledge to show how hard he is hitting home. The mound on the book is telling, but some more hints would have been nice.

Nothing, but people who sperg the fuck out if someone likes a book that their favorite critic said had subpar prose are more annoying than an itchy asshole.

Nam2 of anime?????? Some context???

Nobody was talking about critics here. And I'm the only critic that matters.

boku no pico

My Little Sister Can't Cum This Much

You sure? The character does look kinda like a guy. And the condom could be from gay sex. Ep number?
I already fap to tomgirls on sadpanda, my soul can't get more damned.

watch from the start dude the plot builds up well

Fucking degenerates.

Cream Lemon is the only officially Veeky Forums-approved hentai. Accept no substitute.

What should I watch else? I've watched all this shows on list.

Get the fuck out anime fags

Are Saint Seya and CC Sakura on there?

I've never watched a book before. Is it fun?

Do you read all books in Braille?

I think GRRM ruined fantasy for me, nothing I read holds up to ASOIAF

lol

I am enjoying this.

Good for you.

How much longer til The Winds of Never Ever?

Have any of you plebs read Ben Galley yet? If so, What'd you think of him?

The Written looks interesting, might read.

haha

>space opera set in our solar system
>Mars is a military dictatorship

>Earth are the good guys

>that one friend who always needs the author to explain things
>Characters must also always have "logical" reasons for doing what they do, or they're shit
>Likes "bad ass actions"
Don't even understand why he liked Malazan so much.

And the daily tirades when he's whining about people who are whining about Trump, or why Nintendo is retarded

He used to be so much nicer but now 80% of the time on skype it's tirades.

How is Jeff Vandermeer or Virconium?
I need some escapism.

hehehehe

The Grim Company was fantastic. Found it really funny at times too.

What's the SF equivalent to asoiaf in terms of scale

Asimov's shit.

I'm about to order The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and I'm thinking about also getting Stranger in a Strange Land. Thoughts? Are they shit?

You can just download them and read the first few pages yourself if you're unsure.

Is Jeff Vandermeer any good?

You already asked a few posts above. If you want opinions you can always use the search function and look in the archive.

>How is Jeff Vandermeer or Virconium?
Anyone?

Shit nigga you aint even gotta download them, there are free pdfs online
Also I damn near loved Stranger in a Strange Land but have yet to read Moon, so I would recommend it strongly

>You already asked a few posts above.

Different guy. I just jumped into the thread. I usually use warosu but I was feeling peculiarly social.

Yo, read The name of the wind, best book ever

What's the wind's name anyway?

delet

If you listen close enough you can hear it softly as a breeze passes you by. "Gary Stu" it moans as it travels the lands. "Kvothe is a Gary Stu" the wind whispers in its wake. "Rothfuss is a hack and will never ever ever release Book 3" say the rustling leaves to each other in frustration.

>what are you reading?
Leviathan Wakes
>how is it so far?
It's shit, but it's entertaining enough.
>expected releases?
Too much backlog even think of new books.
>>buyers remorse: what shit book were you shilled?
Leviathan Wakes. I'm reading it to be up to date in the sphere of what everyone's talking about, but then again I could be reading something actually good.

In case you didn't read them, the books are quite different from the TV show. DESU after reading the books first, I couldn't stand the show.

He edited some fuck huge Anthologies with his wife. The Weird, Time Travelers Almanach, The Big Book of Science Fiction. Great stuff. Just ignore the few token Authors who obviously were included because diversity.

ʸᵉᵃʰ ᵘᵘᵘᵘʰ ᶜᵃᶰ ᴵ ᵍᵉᵗ ᵃ ᵀᵁᶜ ᵉˣᶜᵉʳᵖᵗ

croats should be banned

Is this more entertaining than anime?

yeah

Not really. I'm only here because I already watched 300+ anime and there's nothing interesting left.

I'm sure the answer will be different today than yesterday. Be sure you keep posting it in every thread!

How do all these professional writers live without writing anything? What do they do all day? Is all their income from Patreon?

Rothfuss gets huge word-of-mouth sales. Lots of my normie friends try to get me to read NotW. He's probably just living off royalties still. Jemisin makes five grand a month off Patreon though.

The more people that read you, the less you have to write. The less people that read you, the more you have to write.

Has any author ever set a work in the fantasy universe where Rothfuss prose=Wolfe prose? Cause this butthurt little fella could use some validation.

Pierce Brown writes anime.

Does anyone here keep up with Kingkiller or ASOIAF and can tell me what the latest news are?

>the solar system is ruled by corporations under the iron fist of a large military contractor that has the monopoly on the production of top end military hardware
>off-world workers and colonists are downtrodden and only people on earth live in prosperity
>the story is infantile, edgy bullshit

I read Walter Miller's 1951 post-apocalyptic novelette Dark Benediction, where a space borne virus has landed on Earth. Those who are contaminated by it turn grey and are inflicted with a frenzied desire to lay hands on others, thereby passing on the contagion. With no cure found, the virus soon spreads widely, and society regresses to murder and brigandism; civilisation collapses.

Two years on, a young man scavenges for food around Texas (Houston and Galveston) where the action takes place. He encounters dangerous men, a love interest, and a religious hospital who aim to research the virus and rebuild society. Here there is much of the same imagery and meaning as can be found in Miller's later novel A Canticle For Leibowitz. However, this is arguably better written: a more concise treatment of similar aspects in a more approachable package. Overall it deserves four 'dermies' out of five.

Did not read stranger, but moon is a great book, although I did not read it in english.

Last I heard rothfuss had his draft for book three sent back for serious reworks

Any gay SFF kino?

GRRM postponed his book another year. Just like he did last year. No idea what the other fat fuck is doing.

I googled that and he says he's mentally ill and has to focus on health, therapy and hobbies right now. Also he's hysteric about Trump, because we all know Trump will exterminate the Rich.
Fuck.

I remember being hyped last year.

Time to pirate some Sanderson I guess. Just feels so empty and soulless.

The steel remains

>Just feels so empty and soulless.
Well, he is a Mormon.

Why are you not reading this right now? How do you deal with never being as cool as Lord Juss of many mountained Demonland or as cunning as Lord Gro?

Thanks dinon. What collections are you reading these out of? I have fond memories of an SF novella collection than had some I barely remember, like one where a guy walks across the US to avoid teleportation booths, and Enemy Mine.

But Card's a Mormon and he's got too much soul, everyone mooning around talking about how they feel.

>Why are you not reading this right now?
I was skeered and awa' from Brandoch Daha.

I'm going through an Asimov and Greenberg edited anthology called The Mammoth Book of Vintage Science Fiction: isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?35507

But there are a lot of cheap old anthologies out there with similar stories, usually edited by Greenberg, Silverberg, or Asimov. ISFDB and then Amazon is handy for finding them. This goes for you fantasy folks as well.

This book is amazing. It's like what a ten year old boy would write if he were some sort of genius.

any tips on writing a sci-fi book?

I just finished it yesterday. Fantastic read.

Find the oldest, most worn books on the fantasy shelf of your library. Report back.