SpaceX Iridium-3 LIVE Launch

Rev up those rocket engines motherfuckers:

spacex.com/webcast

WE GOING TO MARS

>T minus 2:00:00

Other urls found in this thread:

floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/09/19/spacex-files-trademark-starlink-satellite-broadband-internet-constellation-elon-musk/680714001/
licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=1190019
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>SpaceX is targeting launch of Iridium-3 from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The instantaneous launch window is at 5:37 a.m. PDT, or 12:37 UTC on Monday, October 9. The satellites will begin deployment about an hour after launch.

>(A backup launch opportunity opens at 5:31 a.m. PDT, or 12:31 UTC on Tuesday, October 10.)

>Following stage separation, the first stage of Falcon 9 will attempt a landing on the “Just Read the Instructions” droneship that will be stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

Bump

how will le bald amazon man ever recover

inb4 HOLD HOLD HOLD

By having more money.

Then why hasn't he done anything of any use yet?

He's been busy building giant dildos

Just give up already Bezos.

15 minutes.

Insprucker is a national treasurer

It will blow up.

As much as I love SpaceX, calling the drone landing ship "just read the instructions" makes me hope it crashes cause someone forgot 1 step.

T MINUS THREE MINUTES MOTHERFUCKERS

T minus two Minutes

Lift off.

seems a bit sluggish today. Then again it's already going 12000 km/h

it's sorta sad that these are now routine. we're landing rockets, and only 7 people are in this thread!

inb4 drone ship cameras freeze up and miss the actual landing

Just wait until 2020 when everyone is watching that first rocket to Mars

FH thread should be quite popular.

Lol fuck you

WE DID IT

spooky landing!

It's actually really good that they have become routine

Even the SpaceX staff sound less enthusiastic lol

Onto the next challenge

Requires faith

called it

still have 2nd stage experimental reentry, fairing capture, west coast RTLS, to look forward too. Then FH and then BFR after that

The announcer reminds me of chris chan.

>Even the SpaceX staff sound less enthusiastic lol
I'm glad that the hipster PC crowd is out and we are left with a professional.

& Dragon Crew

>so many different things to look forward too

God it feels like I'm drowning in good shit after a decade of nothing.

INTERMISSION

Is FH happening this year? I want to see 3-booster landing.

nah. But 99% happening q1 '18

Fuck, I'm tired of waiting.

3 mo is better than 6 mo

>Falcon heavy test's payload will be "the silliest thing we can imagine"

It's gonna be something from Rick and Morty isn't it considering Musk is a big fan

Source?

Scheduled for November 2017

FH demo still pencilled in for Nov/Dec 2017

Although given the tone of Elon's speech last week at IAC it's likely to be delayed again

He kept pointing out the unexpected difficulty of just strapping three first stages together

Well at least NASA is competing strongly

People still believe this scam?

>Falcon heavy test's payload

An Elon bobblehead?
A mini model of New Glenn?
Another F9 first stage?

mini nuke.

Predicting they go full SJW and it's going to be a giant Trump head or something.

Screencap this.

Music gets weird

FH demo flight payload is a will be Arabsat according to their launch manifest

WE ANTARCTICA NOW

>Stay frosty

Thets first actual flight. The demo flight will have a wacky payload

SHIT WE BACK

NANOMACHINE DEPLOYMENT SOON

just how many rolls of that reflective gold foil have we gone though with building satellites?

also, pretty deployment

>Solid oxygen ice
-218.8 °C

Dayum

GDI ION CANNON DEPLOYMENT WHEN?

They really do need a second small drone ship nearby with some cameras. Otherwise, we have to wait for the helicopter cams later on.

the Spaceflight Inc 50-sat mission should be fun to see the deployments

What was that one deployment some time ago that had tons and tons of sats being shat out like it was laying a track for Pacman?

well the Indians did a bunch of multisat missions. Dunno about SpX

orbcomm?

the fuck was that a huge white blood cell?

Shit did you see that bunch of oxygen break off and float away?

it was a space organism

Yeah, it is the Indian one!

Here's the footage.

>ISRO PSLV-C37 104 satellites deployed, new world record.

I sped it up to fit everything in under 2mins.

its like its laying eggs or an orbital bombardment

Poosats?

SPACELOO

SpaceX is gonna take over the entire goddamn launch market next year if they don't RUD

>days

Days between launches?

since the previous launch, yeah

I really don't remember them being so packed together though.

POO
IN
LEO

Its strange, yeah. Kinda miss the threads with 400+ replies, autism-infused arguments and /pol throwing in some casual shut just for good measure

Ta da, now you know why the Apollo missions were hardly important to most people after 11. There were the same exact feelings towards landing on the fucking moon. Seems crazy, but it’s true... it’s hard to imagine feeling meh towards a mars landing, but we’ll not care after the tenth one or so

>we’ll not care

Humans are broken

Needs more disasters

Did Elon really say people on mars before 2024? What the fuck is wrong with him. Years ago I admired him and thought he was highly intelligent. But then he couldn't stop talking about muuuh climate change fearmongering, PV, mars, hyperloop, dangerous AI and other stupid shit. At first I thought he just spouted this nonsense for PR but over time I felt that it was just too much and he really is just a dumb retard who got rich through luck and very hard work.

Weeelll if you're so smart, how come you ain't got no rocket imperium?

Years ago you admired him, when he was talking "stupid shit" about reusable rockets that are just impossible?

You have my keks.

>when he was talking "stupid shit" about reusable rockets that are just impossible?
Except that wasn't stupid shit. Nor was it revolutionary or a novel idea. Rocketry is such a tightly regulated field that of course there is near zero competition and innovation in launch vehicles. It's all government programs.

Even if you ignore the strict regulations, almost everything is government related. There is almost no commercial / free market. Satellites are already saturated and market is declining. It does not pay off anymore to launch a satellite and the only entities who do it are government related where lucrativity doesn't matter because the money is stolen from tax payers or good will from companies with too much money, such as facebook wanting facebook access for free everywhere on the world via satellites.

The people who made money via satellites used them for broadcasting stuff like TV channels or selling earth images and both are outdated now.

There is no market for it. SpaceX depends 100% on government for its existence. Space from the very beginning has just been one huge waste of money.

Only SpaceX is going to be putting up its own satellites for satellite internet next year (Starklink?) It is intended to be world wide and super cheap. Basically, taking the rug out from under everyone else, except for the lag.

Get ready for India, central Africa, Eastern Russia, Mongolia, and other places to start shitposting on Veeky Forums soon after that.

>SpaceX is going to be putting up its own satellites for satellite internet next year
How is this supposed to be lucrative? Shit data transfer for ridiculous cost. How much per satellite including launch costs, how long will they last and what is their data transfer rate?

They will last five years or so. Data transfer will be super fast. Lower lag than some physical lines; C in space is faster than C in a cable. The home unit will be pizza box sized.

StarLink will make spacex billions upon billions of dollars. Can’t wait for them to go public...

I had Hughesnet for a year. It was terrible for lag, for gaming purposes, fine for everything else. The worst part was their data plans. Basically fucks you every way possible then throttles you to dial-up speeds as penalty. SpaceX should be able to totally wreck that in short order.

All you provide are words. Where are the numbers? What altitude are the satellites? How does the data transfer work and what are the power losses?

I think this is as much as known right now,

floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/09/19/spacex-files-trademark-starlink-satellite-broadband-internet-constellation-elon-musk/680714001/

So basically absolutely nothing yet people suck Elon's dick so hard the lack of air kills what little remains of their brain.

>Hughesnet
Looked it up real quick. As expected it requires you to install a satellite dish so zero mobile usability. 10 GB per month costs 50$. For that amount of money you can get 1gig/sec connections in some places and I pay less than that for 250 meg. So basically what you get for 50$ is what others get in less than a minute of internet for maybe 1/50000th the cost. Exactly this is the problem with satellites. Ridiculously more expensive. Only specialized utility for shitholes in the middle of nowhere.

So posters like are dipshitting out of their ass and have no idea how it will work and how it will make money.

Just saw this.
>Currently I have the $90 plan which gives me 20 GB per month and ends up to be $116 per month (with taxes, etc)
So apparently there are hidden costs and it is actually even more expensive. Bravo. Even if spacex manages to lower the costs tenfold which should be realistic it will still be shit.

You’re retarded and I feel dumb having to spoonfeed you

licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=1190019

It should be scrapped. Fuck Falcon Heavy

>It should be scrapped. Fuck Falcon Heavy
Elon agrees

F9 and FH will become redundant as he focuses on BFR

Sad but necessary considering the only marginal gains offered by FH. My guess is they'll do the maiden voyage as a demo and then move straight onto BFR

What if it explodes? This fucking project already drained years and years of their time. I fear the DEMO event.

The point is that SpaceX constellation will be hundreds of satellites in LEO instead of handful of GEO birds

This will allow SpaceX to offer latency comparable to fiber internet, huge amounts of bandwidth and no need for large dishes

Large LEO constellations are a very different beast than todays satellite internet

Zero practical information such as costs, just a rough theoretical framework.

Did you even look at the document yourself? What do you think how expensive it will be to build and launch several thousand satellites? This isn't an issue of surface coverage or bandwidth or athmospheric disposal. It is an issue of cost and feasibility.

>So basically absolutely nothing yet

What part of "launching next year" did you interpret as "already completed, here's the specs"?

>zero mobile usability.

You just realign the dish from where ever you happen to be. Satphones don't need to do that though. Also, you were told Hughesnet is terrible.

You probably shouldn't compare Hughesnet to SpaceX when we know next to nothing about the latter.

Seems you lack critical thinking and are simply sperging out, kid.

>The point is that SpaceX constellation will be hundreds of satellites in LEO instead of handful of GEO birds

I think the latest number was 12,000 satellites in orbit for the Starlink internet thing.

>money is stolen from tax payers
>huge waste of money.
Oh no, it's one of those freemarketeers.
Making money is a huge waste of human work and resources.

If it explodes I imagine they will cancel it totally

Most likely not.

>Exactly this is the problem with satellites.
If you think it's bad just because it's "a satellite", then you're a moron. Hughes sucks simply because it's a GEO satellite. It's all about the distance. We only have sucky GEO right now because it's the only orbit where you don't have to have to launch a hundred or more.

See how far away GEO is? That is where the lag comes from. The sucky bandwidth comes from there being only one satellite that everybody has to talk to. See where Iridium is? That's like 5% of the altitude, which means 5% of the lag.