Do any of you actually sharpen your own knives yet?

Do any of you actually sharpen your own knives yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/King-47506-Combination-Waterstone-japan/dp/B001DT1X9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501134059&sr=8-1&keywords=sharpening stones
amazon.ca/Professional-Leather-BARBER-Straight-Sharpener/dp/B0070OJL40
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only the ones I use.

Yeah but I don't use a faggot ass machine. I do it by hand. Fuck dude I'd just rather you don't sharpen your shit than brag about using a machine to do it. There is nothing superior about a machine sharpener.
>pretentiousness for no reason.

Only the ones I never use

It's not pretentious, you stupid asshole. I worked whetstones into the garbage for 20 years, so don't tell me what's pretentious. I went from oilstones in the 80s, to whetstones in the late 90s to a machine in 2005. Grow up.

No, I don't have $150 to plop down on a Chef's Choice diamond knife sharpener.

I heard other electric knife sharpeners are complete shit, and you can't spend less than $150 and expect to get something that actually sharpens instead of just wrecking the blade.

Tungsten drag sharpeners ruin everything. These shit diamond blade rotary wheels don't destroy the blade, but don't sharpen like a whetstone does. But who needs that for day to day food? 5 minutes on that machine and a strop with polishing compound(jewelers rouge) creates a blade that can shave our face if you need it to.

Getting two of these delivered tomorrow. See if it gets a decent edge.

Well I respect you for doing it by hand. And if that's the case than you know machines are inferior and for beginners. I started out using those meme pic related things you can get at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks. Wouldn't hold an edge for shit and started using stones. I had a buddy that used a machine and it was just as bad as pic related. They will always have burs and fold over.

They have 2 sharpening coarsenesses and a deburring wheel. That's essentially how you sharpen a blade properly. I used to go from 400 to 1000 to 6000 to a jewelers strop to make sure the burr was pulled off and aligned. but now I just can't be bothered outside of the workshop. Cutlery isn't woodworking.

You shouldn't need to sharpen it often, maybe 2-3 times a year. Why would you buy a shitty machine for a task that you only do every few months?

I mean you don't really need to sharpen most kitchen knives but every few months or so. Just buy a good honing rod and you'll be fine. I only sharpen mine about every 6 months and only if it actually needs it. And if we are talking bushcraft knives than I usually just sharpen them when I'm /out/ and I've got some down time. And for that job I use pic related. Does a great job while /out/

because I'm the designated sharpening guy for my chef friends and others? I was the guy who grew up in a violin shop who knew steel. So I got the task.

I find that actual sharpening is not called for very often if the knife is properly cared for. I just hit my knife every now and again with a honing steel and it has never needed sharpening.

my test is, can I shave my arm. If I can't , it's dull.

most people use a hardened steel steel. I have a ceramic steel. I use it when I'm desperate and need to straighten my burr. Mostly I just hit the stones or the sharpener.

And if you buy a knife of good quality and steel from the get than it will stay shave sharp with honing and rust prevention.

I started sharpening my knives myself about a year ago. I bought a $20, 30 cm long, 2-sided wetstone from the Oriental market in my neighborhood. The box it came in didn't even say what grits the two sides were, but I'd guesstimate them to 400/1000. It was in their restaurant supply section next to woks, burners, & things.

Anyway, I taught myself how sharpen my kitchen knives well enough to cleanly slice paper with that stone. Then I bought a couple more stones from Amazon: another 400/1000 that came with a block to hold the stone, and a 2000/5000. Since then, I've kept my knives perpetually sharp and expanded my knife collection. I added a sujihiki for slicing stuff and a deboning knife for breaking down larger cuts of meat.

If I thought it was worth the investment, I would consider a machine to sharpen my knives, but given that it really only takes about 20 minutes and only needs to be done about 2-3 times a year, sharpening by hand will always be the best option for me.

ummmm, kinda true. If you have Rockwell Hardness of over 58, it will hold a great edge, but you risk it when using a steel steel on it. I have a ceramic steel for the more brittle metal blades.

I have 15 knives, and chef friends, and family. I just can't ruin my wrists. You need perfect wrists when you sharpen on stone and they end up aching over time. If you have 5 knives, get a stone, if you have a hundred, get a machine.

They have some great alloys and powder steels that can get over 58 rhc and not be brittle. And most good Damascus knives have the best of both worlds too. But I agree ceramic makes a much better rod.

Most chefs send there knives off to be sharpened. And just use a strop and honing rod in between.

>You need perfect wrists when you sharpen on stone and they end up aching over time.

that's just pure malarkey, you stupid geezer. people have been sharpening knives on stones for MILLENNIA and most of them have not had perfect wrists. And yet, all those knives over all those years have come out sharp and perfectly fine. Maybe your aching wrists were a sign you were using bad technique, but you were just too dumb to figure out how to correct it. KYS.

No shit, most chefs send their blades off to band sanders. They're cold sharpeners. They don't fuck up the temper of good blades.

oh, ffs, just fuck off, you idiot. this is officially a kid's board. You've don't nothing in life and it shows. Sharpening 20 blades in a row ruins your wrists. I don't give a shit what ghetto you come from.

Sorry, I didn't mean to snap on your trolling ass. Keep talking, you clearly know what you're talking about. I keep forgetting to stop being serious on this shitbox of a forum.

WTF do you need that many knives for? and if you have that many knives, you should almost never have to sharpen them

No shit, asshole. I bought them for $2.30 a piece for gifts for friends and not enough of them went out. So I ended up with a mountain of blades I sharpen every 3 years. Get it? You people are quick to judge and fucking retards when you are faced with the truth. AND I sharpen blades for friends because I KNOW HOW TO DO IT. god.

where do you people live? like fucking west virginia? listening to you, you're the dullest bastards on the planet trying to find something to bitch about.

hahaha you're the only person in here bitching... no one gives a fuck that you sharpen knives, plenty of people do it

I'm looking to get a gift for my brother. I've been thinking of a whetstone (or a couple stones) and whatever other sharpening accessories would be needed. Can someone recommend some good bang for your buck starter stones and other sharpening essentials? When I look I can see multiple stones of the same grit going for wildly different prices; things like that plus my own ignorance of sharpening is making the research difficult.

Still no reasoning as to why you need to use that many knives, are you autistic? do you use all of them just so you can sharpen them? Just use a couple knives like a normal person.

OK, you need a 400 grit Stone before you use the stone I'm going to recommend to you.

You need to create an edge first, then sharpen that edge, then polish that edge.

amazon.ca/King-47506-Combination-Waterstone-japan/dp/B001DT1X9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501134059&sr=8-1&keywords=sharpening stones

This is the sharpening and polishing edge.

After that you need a Strop with green polishing compound to make it razor sharp.

amazon.ca/Professional-Leather-BARBER-Straight-Sharpener/dp/B0070OJL40

dude, shut up.

I use King whetstones

When you're "dressing" a blade, you use a grinder or a band sander. That dresses the blade to be sharpened. Then you sharpen the blade, then you polish it.

>$2.30 chef knives

Do they really exist?

Are they even made of metal?

You obviously need the top of the line Japanese sharpening stones from Chosera, goy.

Three Chosera stones and a stone holder only $348 at ChefKnivesToGoDotCom.

It was purchased at Canadian Tire, Farberware blades. They're at least Rockwell 54. I just about shit myself. I can shave my .. well I can shave my legs today with them after putting them through the sharpening process. My Buddy had one that was put into a cardboard folded sheath and he drew it out like a superhero and carved his finger to the bone. A bunch of white goo and blood right to the bone of his thumb, we rushed him to the hospital. So I stopped giving out those blades. I can't never forget that image.

where did the childish, bitchy critics go?

For those of you with Japanese knives with 59-61 Rockwell, how do you maintain your blades? Do you hone them at all? I hear that will chip the edge since it's so brittle. Asking because I recently bought a Mac MTH-80 and wnat it to stay sharp as long as possible.

I got it recently. Not bad. Good weight to it.
Surprisingly large.

If you hone anything over 58, it'll chip the living shit out of it. Sharpen and strop it. Don't put it on a steel, or it'll break into pieces. I've broken blades myself.

oh, THANKS! That's good knews. I recently carved my fingers off and I was wanting a dicer I could use that I wouldn't ruin my fingers with.

are you always this much of a faggot?

just.. don't. just.. don't be that kid.

Who the fuck has time for that shit? I cook because I love foodie culture, not because I like wasting time with gadgets.

I buy a new set of Wusthofs once a year and I give the old ones to the cleaning lady. If you can't afford Wusthofs there are many cheaper knives out there.

>Don't put it on a steel, or it'll break into pieces. I've broken blades myself.

Then you must be some kind of retard. I've got a 61 HRC gyuto that has been dropped multiple times, honed on a steel, put under a heavy pile of dirty dishes, and just generally treated like shit. From the worst of the abuse, in other words the stuff done to it intentionally to see what would happen, it chipped. From minor abuse, it was fine. From routine COOKING use, nothing bad has ever happened.

I don't know why people buy COOKING knives and then subject them to Rambo style torture tests where you try to stab through a cinder block or whatever, and then act surprised and start raving about Pearl Harbor when the knife sustains some sort of damage.

Fucking retard.

I don't have as many friends as I thought so my cheap ass ass knives the post lol

I sharpen mine with the stone I keep by the sink. After every wash they get a quick sharpening.
And why the fuck do you have 13 of the same knife?

Gee bill