Do academics ever have fun? Why are the always so serious about everything...

Do academics ever have fun? Why are the always so serious about everything? The world would be a better place if we didn't have Ivory Tower intellectuals coming up with ways to radically reform civilization. Like, just calm down.

t. inferior brainlet

>he thinks Philosophy is anything but a practice by which to immortalise yourself through history

ahahahahahahahhahaha

I'm a college professor (okay, just a lecturer, does that count?), and I like drinking beer and playing computer games.

history teacher in highschool=/=academic

The world would be in the palaeolithic without revolutions.

You are a brainlet if by fun you mean only clubbing and shit like that.

>dude have fun like let's play some Street Fighter or like smoke weed lol
>dude let's chase some chicks bro let's go to the beach mane

You will never experience the joy that is making brain gains.

kys

They are the high priests of what Rousseau called the civic religion.

Brain gains are fun, but going to the beach with pals and sime brewskys is fun too, you should try it, although you need friends and money for the beverages, you do have those, right?

>the beach
>tfw I live in the middle of fucking nowhere in the midwestern united states

Some of the best bait I've ever seen here.

:(
Go sea the see user

Dude, how the fuck do you think history came to be? If we didn't have an inherent drive to radically transform ourselves, we would never developed civilization in the first place, nor the billion iterations of it.

>History came to be
>We would never developed
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGSGAHAAHAHAHAKAJAJAHAAHHAHAHAHHHAHA

A couple of my professors hold lectures that are halfway ridiculous/hilarious, the humour sometimes bordering on juvenile.

>Do academics ever have fun? Why are the always so serious about everything?
>coming up with ways to radically reform civilization.
That's their idea of fun.
> Like, just calm down.
To which they'd reply "Why are you always so serious about everything? Do brainlets ever have fun?".

OD on heroin right now.

not an argument

If you don't reform civilization for the better, the troglodytes will; not out of conscious effort, mind, but out of the chaos that their blissfully-unaware actions inevitably cause.

>Like, just calm down.

Empty words. I am calm.

>W-WE GOTTA REFORM CIVILIZATION OR ELSE WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!! *hyperventilates*

Calm down, dude.

There is still a lot of fun to be had in both philosophy and academia. Take Chrysippus, for example, who laughed to death.
While few philosophers and good authors are not often hysterically funny, most of them are often quite witty, lying in the golden mean between buffoonery or boorishness, as Aristotle suggests.
There are witticisms in Plato, Aristotle, Epictetus, Kant, Spinoza, Deleuze, Dostoevsky, etc.
And Zizek of course does his best to be a stand up-academic.

i was planing on applying to HLS this year with hopes to eventually become a legal academic but my LSAT is exactly their median, and, as a white male, I won't get in now that they're accepting the GRE

not an argument

/thread

It's odd that nobody's replied that they have to be that way in order to be respected teachers and professors.

This. It's conformity at its finest.

Identify as a tranny or queero.

It's easy as shit, just put on some lipstick.

I hope you realize the irony of you posting an image of Schopenhauer when you made this thread. He was very much of a 19th century playboy/pua when he was young

>this fucking post

Interiorism is way more fun than fun. And that's just its lowest property.

no affirmative action points for queers tho

trans might work. A well written personal statement about how you want to be the next trans rights leader would probably get you in

that image was the gayest, most autistic thing i've seen this entire month so far.

i'm a university lecturer
i used to date another lecturer
she was the dirtiest girl i ever met
man she swallowed so much of my cum i'm surprised it didn't start leaking out of her eyes

does that count

It counts user.

One of my philosophy professors is famed to hold a huge party in Dublin at the end of the year, taking his five favorite students into the garden to smoke a joint. Hell, a lot of my professors are really easy to talk to and clearly drink and play videogames/browse the internet (although mostly reddit).

twas rank and fame that tempted thee; twas empire charmed thy heart

>hopes to eventually become a legal academic
why

what area of law are you interested in?

>reddit
>"fun"

youre not missing much
t. former californian

>caring about the illusory material world

>reddit is any different to Veeky Forums

It's so subtle, yet so effective. Look at how he's making these anons so angry. Truly a master work.

from*, not to. Stay in school, kid.

They have to save their jobs and reputation