PSA

Stop reading fiction. Fiction is for subhumans who would rather entertain themselves than be enlightened.

Fiction books were printed so the masses could be satisfied when there were no other forms of entertainment around. It was a form of social control to prevent radicalization. Reading fiction books is no better than submitting yourself to a television screen or a radio program.

...You are aware that reading books such as the Iliad, the Bible(inb4 nonfiction) or Zola's works can give you insight on the workings of a culture and society better than textbooks can, right?

>he can't see the non-fiction values in fiction

who cares about any of this

i'm a nihilist btw

OP this board has turned to shit because of people like you.

Absolutely correct, when Melville and Joyce sat down to start their works their first thought was "oh man I'm gonna brainwash so many suckers into being controlled by society this is gonna be great"

I remember being 25.

I got over it.

I absolutely loved harry potter fuck you

gr8 b8 m8

Well I mean there is some validity to what OP is saying, in that there are people who read nothing but fiction and consider themselves intellectuals. I went through a phase where I read nothing but nonfiction for several years, and I'm glad I did (even though I'm not an intellectual). Also I'm sure fiction gets used as an opiate for the masses at times. But to pooh-pooh it unilaterally on that basis, as if you dare not pick up a Clive Barker novel for fear of succumbing to its heroin-like wiles, is a tad silly.

I've 24, have run into this mindset of OP's frequently since I was in my teens (always in places like this, sometimes in places like reddit, never in places like stackexchange) and it is always equally abysmal.

OP's philosophy deserves to be parodied in a great work of fiction.

>not reading for the sake of reading

L M A O

>reading

C U C C

name one example of how reading fiction did that for you. in detail or you're talking out your ass.

we'll wait

maybe i don´t want to think about reality
maybe i want to just entertain myself
did you ever consider that?

no not really
there are people who read stuff op would consider enlightening and think of themselves as intellectual meanwhile they don´t understand shit

>WOAH nietzsche is soooooooooooo me like we are totally Übermenschen and those normies fuck all up

op should realize that it doesn´t matter what people are reading, the only thing that matters is how they act about it

>had to read his post to even reply
S H U C C S

Ever heard of Borges and Kafka?

>maybe i want to just entertain myself
Then you are a subhuman, like OP said.

>entertainment is for subhumans
This mindset is characteristic of people who didn't accomplish much in life and try to overcompensate and define themselves through things they consume. Just let go, do something worthy and stop hating yourself, lads.

Oh shit this guy's older than us, pack it in guys

I agree that modern fiction is but yet another drug of the rabble, but some literature of greater age give unto their readers certain truths. Faust, sorrows of young werther and most of lovecrafts works are few but great examples of this.

Fuck off, Mohamed.

The Brothers Karamazov

Fiction's the mind at play, the open source, the full monte. It is not bound to any preconception, an author can go in whatever direction he pleases, be it aesthetic, ideological, religious, political, sexual, whatever-- or, he can fashion characters in which each one of these mental tendencies dominates, and show how persons, whatever their persuasions, concerns, fears, obsessions INTERACT. What specialization purports to give us as much? The specialty of fiction is life, not WHAT IT IS (biology) but HOW IT IS LIVED. And the authors we wind up liking best, of studying, with whom we abide, are the ones we feel represent the whole shenanigans, 'life,' most justly. So? Get off of that non-fictive high horse and read an actual book.

Cool autism bro

eat my fat dick

The Bible isn't fiction. Do you have any idea how categorization works?

There is no such thing as an intellectual who does not read fiction

Don't worry OP, most people in the autism spectrum prefer non fiction. You aren't wrong, just 'different'

Harry Potter is great for getting kids to read storybooks rather than just comics.
A century ago it was Jules Verne.

You cannot read Gilgamesh or the Iliad without being radicalised.

OP's philosophy is a parody.

Fantasy is the best genre out there. You are a fucking moron who only reads fantasy for children. Adult fantasy is pretty much dead.

Persian book of Kings, literally revived and saved the Persian language.

Fiction teaches you how to write.

Reminder that non-fiction is just as fictitious as fiction

Reminder that aphorists who violate dictionary definitions should be shot.

>Persian book of Kings, literally revived and saved the Persian language.

This. A lot of the history is actually checked against the Shahnameh, too, because many other writings were lost. Ferdowsi is some of the best record we have, a window 1000 years into the past.

Also includes giant snakes growing out of a palace that demand to be fed the brains of two human men a day and a child raised by giant thunderbirds.

He's right, though.

>fag thinks philosophy isn't fiction

Even much hard science gets found out to be incorrect, made up, or exaggerated.

>Stop reading fiction. Fiction is for subhumans who would rather entertain themselves than be enlightened.

But what if I'm subhuman?

This is interesting. I wonder how? What I remember of Gilgamesh is the mantra-like: how can i rest? How can i be at peace? Despair is in my heart. --Enkidu's not coming back. Homer I've read over again, some of it in Homeric (koine is relatively easy, Classic clear but hard because the authors with whom one deals are of uncompromising quality, and very different)--- classic Attic Greek is itself radicalizing because AS a language it's far superior to any modern language, by far. Latin AFTER Greek (my off case) is all but impossible. Reading the highly idiomatic, i.e. cliche-ridden, Romans is like walking through mud with heavy boots. That said, I do like many of the poets, esp. Vergil and Catullus--

Radicalizing.. I feel youre right, but I have trouble seeing how. If you mean it in the way it sets you apart-- for instance, I know the world I inhabit is very different from the one the majority of my friends do-- who, by the way, confidently think in sheer ignorance that reading's a waste of time (if so, what isn't) and yet are easily bored in a way I never am-- then I agree. I rarely argue points, however-- I'm just polite and watch them. This, of course, is almost an ideal situation for a novelist, but, although I do write, I'm not a novelist.. I'm curious to hear your thinking on this-- Radicalizing? How!

no, he doesn't because he's clearly a fucked retard