Mic drop

>mic drop.

Other urls found in this thread:

newscientist.com/article/2149742-half-the-universes-missing-matter-has-just-been-finally-found/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>no link

excellent post OP.

newscientist.com/article/2149742-half-the-universes-missing-matter-has-just-been-finally-found/

not OP, just not a useless twat

More kabbalah from the Science cult eh

Does this explain galaxy clusters and super clusters too? Also, in the bullet cluster, wasn't the gas ripped away from the dark matter? How does this work, if DM is gas too?

So then they basically found out what "dark matter" really is?

Most models of the universe predict twice as much 'ordinary' matter than we've been able to detect. They found a way to see the missing half of ordinary matter and not dark matter.

Basically, what used to be dark matter is no longer dark matter now because we know how to see it now? Or, is dark matter something else? Because I thought it was just matter that was made up of whatever that was just hard to find millions of light years away.

>what used to be dark matter is no longer dark matter now because we know how to see it now?
No. This is about the missing baryons not dark matter. The density of normal matter in the universe can be measured with the cosmic microwave background which allows for both the normal matter and total matter densities to be measured. The missing baryons were missing because they are predicted from simulations to be at temperatures and densities where they emit little light and don't leave big absorption lines.

I see, thanks.

Glad to hear your mother has been found safe and well user

you're going to have a hard time until you learn how to read

Baryons are protons and neutrons.

>Tanimura’s team stacked data on 260,000 pairs of galaxies, and de Graaff’s group used over a million pairs. Both teams found definitive evidence of gas filaments between the galaxies. Tanimura’s group found they were almost three times denser than the mean for normal matter in the universe, and de Graaf’s group found they were six times denser
>tanimura team - stack data on 260,000 pairs
>de graffs team - stack data on over 1,000,000 pairs
>tanimura team - three times denser than mean
>de graffs team - six times denser than mean

You know what I think? I think they fudged it.
Stacking the data gave them a result, but the result seems to be in line with how many pairs they stacked rather than independent.

And,
>made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter
Dark matter is a fucking placeholder name. We just called it that because we couldn't see it.

When people say there is less matter than is currently accountable in the visible universe, what the fuck are they talking about? how are they measuring this?

stuff's behaving as if affected by matter, but we can't see any

What's wrong with saying it's being effected by fields?
Why matter?

Because gravity.

Ours being affected by gravity, the only force that matters on these scales.

So what is gravity?

not on Veeky Forums

An overhyped movie.

Not real.

They're not using the same galaxy sample moron. de Graaf et al. used the BOSS CMASS sample while Tanimura et al used the lower redshift SDSS LRG sample. You wouldn't expect them to get the same number, the galaxies probe different times in the universe and live in different environments.

>You know what I think? I think they fudged it.

You know what I know? You have no idea what you're talking about.

The total density of baryons can be calculated from the cosmic microwave background. The sound waves imprinted on the CMB are sensitive to all the normal matter in the universe, there were no missing baryons back then. Additionally you can use big bang nucleosynthesis which gives the same number.