Why didn't they go in the room? Stalker/roadside picnic

Why didn't they go in the room? Stalker/roadside picnic

I wanted to speculate, but realized I don't actually remember enough of the ending conversation to answer.

Too fearful of finding out what it is they really want.

well I'm glad that didn't stop you from posting a vacuous non statement anyway to remind everyone of your pointless existence with a pointless post. well done loser.

It's bumping a thread I'm interested at. Glad you responded.

Because they won't believe.

Wouldn't the Stalker have been there before, anyway? I took the ending scene as evidence he did meet the wishgranter

look kiddo, i know in school they give you participation trophies and on reddit they give you a million upboats for commenting "this" on a post you agree with but i for one hope you go blind so I dont have to interact with you on my literature forum ever again

I would have walked into the room and walked out jacked as fuck.

>fumes about a useless post
>in two useless posts filled with impotent rage
>"""""my""""" forum
kys yourself autismo

I realize it may be difficult for you, with just now realizing that you're worthless and have nothing interesting to offer the world but do not think that I will ever stop reminding you of that. as long as this thread exists, i will be here, blowing you the fuck out. so you can hide the thread buti will probably find you in another thread. best bet for you is to head back to rebbit, son

A lot of Tarkovsky's films have to do with faith and the ability to transform reality through their own spiritual strength.

Like in Andrei Rublev with the kid who knew nothing about bell-making, yet masqueraded as a dude who knew how to fix bells, went through the whole rigamarole of rounding up the town to make it, and then when it's finally all over, the finished bell actually peals.

I think there's something about the whole "spiritual rejuvenation" that runs through Dostoevsky to Solzhenitisin and Tarkovsky. Maybe it's a Russian thing I dunno, but it's fascinating.

but how do you know that's actually your deepest desire?

They would have gone out after having an orgy.

Why are we having film discussion on Veeky Forums? The movie has next to nothing with the book other than the premise.

I like this, keep going. Top-tier lit discussion.

>tfw not sure if expert baiting or terminal autism

Alright fine I would walk out famous

> 3 hour late post
Faggots, do you even Veeky Forums?

i would fly out of the room as powergirl

why is there a black doggo?

Are there any books like Stalker or Roadside Picnic?

I love Russian post-apoc, I have very vivid dreams of living in a world like that quite frequently.

this

Didn't like the film too much. The cinematography was really bad before they arrived in the Zone. The acting was bad. The music was bad. The way they got past those guards was hilarious. Pointless scene where he told that woman off before departing. The ending was retarded, MERP I HAS BOBM GUISE!!1!1

Bergman takes a shit in Tarkovsky's mouth yet again. Sad.

cuz they realized that anything gained from the room would be false, besides, i think they all had their wishes granted outside of the room, at least in the film i noticed the electricity, the phone call, the pills, all of that seemed to have a wishlike property. probably they didn't need to go in at all.

It's been a while since I watched Stalker so I might be remembering the ending wrong. But from what I recall, after they arrive at the room, they have a discussion where one of them concludes that a previous user of the room had been unable to use it to save his dead relative, because the room gave him what he "truly" wanted, which was wealth, and it devastated him that he couldn't "want" his relative to come back more than wealth. So the men decided not to go in because they were afraid of what the room might give them, either because they didn't want to find out what they really wanted or because the gift might be dangerous.

>MERP I HAS BOBM GUISE!!1!1

It seems that you are retarded

porcupine/teacher in the film, the vulture in the book

The true miracle room was the friendship they gained along the way.

Hour of the Wolf is ignored because while it is an entirely interiorist piece, which is almost unheard of in the West, it is also entirely Dionysian, explosive, shocking, bestial, etc.

It makes basically all of cinema look embarrassing.

Your "criticism" of Stalker is so profoundly disconnected from reality that I can't even give a counterargument.

I think that was more evidence of how being in the Zone affected him/his family overall, not necessarily the wish granter.

>this whole post
off to Letterboxd or some other circle-jerk shithole with you

your greatest wish is unconscious, dummy

id walk out with a HUGE dong

...up my ass

The dog was just a stray wandering around their set during production in that area and Tarkovsky decided to leave it in the shots

you were supposed to make a deep psychological analysis on it

>implying there's anything deeper than the random whim of a wandering dog that acknowledges neither man nor art nor his own immortalization through the art of man
>implying it wasn't there to simply love and be loved by the people passing through its home
>implying the dog could have anything to gain from the room at all
>implying the dog isn't actually the protagonist of the film, needing nothing, seeking nothing, curious of those who do

That bell making scene is the best thing Tarkovaky ever did, holy shit. But please use spoilers for people who haven't yet seen it.

I think you might be actually psychotic

thanks for the blog post man

>dude, if only our minds could be like dog minds, there would be no wars

Stalker (the movie) is not about post-apocalyptic world, it's a metaphor for there's even an odd shelf as an explanation for complete idiots.

Roadside Picnic is, but it predates most pop cultural pillars of the genre, and the Chernobyl as a realization of the Zone itself.

Tarkovscuks spend so much energy to avoid realizing that all of his films are deeply flawed one way or another. Even Nostalghia is littered with so much tripe. Sad.

Le supreme martyr-poet humiliated by a guy from Sweden who shoots in black and white and only uses like 5 actors.

>read an article about the upcoming Roadside Picnic tv series
>the author nonchalantly claims that the novel predicted the Chernobyl incident
I'm not even mad. I find the whole Roadside Picnic/Stalker/S.T.A.L.K.E.R cultural phenomenon really fascinating. A sci-fi novel that discusses the idea that alien races, if they existed, may not care all that much about humanity, Gets appropriated by Takovsky to make an existential film about humanity's effect on nature, urban decay, and the futility of most of man's pursuits. Then both the novel and the film get adapted into a shoddy open-world FPS game where you don't know if the dreadful atmosphere is intentional or just a product of terrible game design. But the game manages to become a commercial success due to its moddability and to the fact that it caters to the American perception of Russia as an impoverished, decayed, make-shift society. The whole thing is akin to how myths were invented in ancient times.

The zone is honestly just a great setting: a mix of steppes, Cossacks, atoms and cheap mafias
It's stereotypically Russian, from every age of its history

Is the candle scene in Nostalghia the most tense scene in cinema history?

How is Tarkovsky's book "Sculpting in Time"?

"Essential kino-literature" is the correct answer.

(It's pretty good, but nowhere near as entertaining as Stan Brakhage's disastrous memoirs of his meeting with Tarkovsky)

nostalghia is desu the greatest film ever made in terms of pure cinematic visuals. Seriously,name ONE movie that is more impressive. (Maybe only paradzanov is on par with tark imo)

We don't even have to leave America to find superior cinematography. Pi, Apocalypse Now (original), Taxi Driver, No Country for Old Men, The Master.

>dude there's pond full of junk lmao

More like Turdkovsky.

Oh come on, Tarkovsky is great...absolutely...but we also have Lopushansky, Terayama, Aleksei German, Schroeter, Syberberg, Ottinger, Pasolini, Fellini, Tarr ect. ect. for pure visual masterpieces.

They might be nicer images (debatable) but they lack inherent meaning, whereas Tarkovsky has as much depth to his images as he does his words.

>that image

I was on /tv/ when the guy was drawing them. Good stuff.

>Veeky Forums sneaks in another kino thread
best threads desu

>Tfw lit has better discussions in movies than books

And better discussions on film than /tv/.

Seconded, what the fuck is this guy's problem? Who hurt him? I almost feel bad for him.

Monkey doesn't actually have telekinesis, the glass falls off the table because of vibrations from the train passing in the background. It's made to look like it could be telekinesis as an allegory for how, after entering the room, there would be no way to know whether your wish was actually granted, or events in your life just happened as they were going to happen anyway.

but nigga she looks at each glass just before each of them starts moving, no way it was coincidence.

Let him be, he's a faggot atheist

Don't forget that the concept of stalkers is also used in Metro 2033 (novel, haven't played the game). In the book, stalkers are the people who dare to leave the metro and scavenge the uninhabited postapocalyptic Moscow for supplies and other useful items.

my greatest true wish is a mommy-gf

>entirely Dionysian, explosive, shocking, bestial, etc.

And that's bad because...?

Thanks for the namedropping

saved

Monkey's paw.