Water Pollution

Anyone have any good articles or news stories on water pollution? I usually drink out of a plastic bottle, but I've heard that plastic isn't safe to drink out of either. How about drinking water out of the faucet in the Midwest?

Other urls found in this thread:

hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/
google.com/search?q=chemicals in tap water
google.com/search?q=pharmaceuticals in tap water
google.com/search?q=fracking tap water
google.com/search?q=sewage leak tap water
google.com/search?q=illegal dumping tap water
google.com/search?q=how to test your water for pollution
usatoday.com/story/news/2016/03/16/testing-assessing-safety-of-drinking-water-lead-contamination/80504058/
scholar.google.com/scholar?&q=plastic leach BPA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/

For years health experts have been unable to agree on whether fluoride in the drinking water may be toxic to the developing human brain. Extremely high levels of fluoride are known to cause neurotoxicity in adults, and negative impacts on memory and learning have been reported in rodent studies, but little is known about the substance’s impact on children’s neurodevelopment. In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children. Based on the findings, the authors say that this risk should not be ignored, and that more research on fluoride’s impact on the developing brain is warranted.

The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.

Earth scientist here. You just pulled a huge thread. Water pollution is a huge problem and it's getting worse. I could fill volumes, how much data are you looking for?

Just enough where I can get a good enough picture of how big the problem really is. Anything you can manage will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

And is there anything that an average person should be doing to protect themselves against these toxins? Like using certain bottles and buying certain water filters.

Lay it on us pls

google.com/search?q=chemicals in tap water
google.com/search?q=pharmaceuticals in tap water
google.com/search?q=fracking tap water
google.com/search?q=sewage leak tap water
google.com/search?q=illegal dumping tap water

Sometimes, knowing the correct search terms is essential.

google.com/search?q=how to test your water for pollution

You need to know what is in the water first, before you can know what methods you need to employ to remove it. Some things simply can't be removed at home; outside of a lab or without using specialized lab equipment. For instance, fracking chemical filtering systems for farms are extremely expensive to purchase and to run. They are normally only used by people who won lawsuits against the company that poisoned their well water.

Don't listen to that guy, anti-flouride movement is full of paranoid schitzophrenics. When he says "health experts have been unable to agree" he means that people with doctorates and education all say that fluoride is fine but mystic herbalists and crystal chakra healers think it's going to cover up your penal gland and stop you from seeing into the spirit realms. It's complete tinfoil hat teritory

The real toxin problems in america's drinking water is stuff that's legally NOT supposed to be there, like lead and arsenic. Lead in drinking water is seriously a big problem in the US

We're talking hundreds of scientific papers in dozens of hydrology journals.

It depends entirely on what source your water is. A lot of the midwest still uses wells, even community water supplies are often unfiltered well water. Unfiltered well water's biggest problem is biological, cryptosporidia and giardia, much of this is from ranches, chicken farms, and other animal handling that doesn't properly treat animal waste before dumping it. Much of this seeps into municipal water through underground aquifers. Too many people think groundwater is 'filtered' naturally and therefore safe to drink. Unfortunately this means that if little Timmy gets sick from cryptosporidia people just think it's just something he ate or that he got diarrhea from an illness and don't look too much into their water supply.

The huge problem here in the Wasatch front is mining. 150 years of unrestricted mining in the Rocky Mountains left behind mounds of mine tailings just sitting on the side of roads that seep everything from lead to arsenic into the rivers lakes and streams. That depends on your definition of 'midwest' but I don't think you live near the rockies, if you do, mining has left shit in the water you wouldn't believe but here in the Wasatch front it's all filtered before getting to your tap. I would worry if your supply is from a well but those are extremely rare even in the boondocks

If your water is treated before it gets to you, it should be 99.8% safe to drink. There are exceptions but those make front page news. The EPA's primary concern is water supply. Bottled water is monitored by the FDA not the EPA and their primary concern is meat and drugs. Most bottled water is safe, so long as you get it from one of the big name companies like Coca Cola but their water comes from municipal water so you're just paying for public water. The little companies can get you sick and that is well documented.

And we're defunding the EPA because republicans. Great

Plastic has BPAs don't do that.

Filtration is the only way, with proper minerals added post filtration so you don't mess up your health.

Most of the US water supplies have lead and other nasty crap in them from decades of EPA and local corruption. That was not actually known until flint happened and once that stuff started coming out the media stopped talking about flint.

Best way to go is RO unit. Then add your minerals downstream of it.

>pic

How is Florida so lead free?

>he doesn't exclussively collect rain water and then boil it and reverse osmosis filter it before running it through charcoal for all your water

fucking sheeple

Wow, that mining bit is really interesting.

>paying for filters

I have my own water well.

Is this a false flag controlled opposition?
Can't even spell schizophrenic properly

>plastic isn't safe to drink out
i cant imagine being this autistic desu
i thank the gods every day

>tfw you try to get water tests done for a few things and get a run around to rival the Boston marathon,

usatoday.com/story/news/2016/03/16/testing-assessing-safety-of-drinking-water-lead-contamination/80504058/

There's a reason companies are switching out BPA for other plasticizers. Oh, and it isn't because of the health of their customers. It is because the other plasticizers replacing BPA are not as well studied for the time being. It is like an arms race. Studies show up saying X is bad, so they change it to little studied Y. Studies show up saying Y is bad, so they change it to little studied Z...

scholar.google.com/scholar?&q=plastic leach BPA

>drinking out of water bottles
Xenoestrogen from BPAs.

>Midwest faucet water
Fluoridated if it's a town source, contaminated with Atrazine if it's a well.

The best option is distilling your water in glass with an electric heat source. It is prohibitively expensive though, most likely. Faucet is safer than plastic bottles.

Earth scientist guy again. Florida has almost 0% mining. It's almost entirely limestones and corals. Nothing of value there to dig up, nothing to leave behind.

That's my guess. I'm not a hydrologist but I do have hydrologist friends. I can ask a couple but this thread might not be up that long.

I reread my post and think I should make a correction. Your drinking water should be 99.8% safe to drink but this doesn't mean much. The natural water in the US is becoming undrinkable. We have fucked up our rivers lakes and streams so badly that may states have been forced to put warning signs on the side of rivers that eating shellfish taken near our streams could be hazardous to your health. This is because shellfish are filter feeders who collect toxins in their body. Toxins put there by corporations too busy worrying about money to bother checking what damage they cause and hoping nobody notices until they've run off with all the money like bandits. Shellfish are simply the first organism to show symptoms.

Hurrah capitalism.

So even if your drinking water is safe doesn't mean shit if you eat anything caught drinking from or living in tainted water (hint, everything). As I said before I live in the Wasatch front, out here the university I graduated from did a 4 year study on fish from a nearby lake cataloging heavy metals found in the fish, remember those mine tailings dumping lead and arsenic into the water supply? Guess where it all ends up.

So we have a real serious problem that needs to be addressed and isn't because the cost is astronomical and the robber barons that run our government aren't getting paid enough to clean up their own shit.