>watching Mind of a Chef
>David Chang's segment is fantastic
>Sean Brock's segment is fantastic
>April Bloomfield's segment is garbage
>Edward Lee's segment is fantastic
>Magnus Nilsson's segment is fantastic
>Gabrielle Hamilton's segment is garbage
huh...

maybe you just have a problem with women so it made their segments seem worse. this thread kind of makes it seem like you're probably not that great of a person, might want to work on that my dude.

If you watched those segments, you would agree too. And I know this is not a fantastic measure of their cooking abilities but Bloomfield's and Hamiltson's restaurants are the only ones that have below 4 stars on Yelp due to consistently bad food. Just read the reviews on Prune, half the people say the food is poorly cooked, bland, and overexpensive for a restaurant that prides itself for not being pretentious. Hell, the very first episode of Hamilton's segment shows her using garbage ingredients from a supermarket, acting like a huge dick to her line, and then flipping that and charging obscene prices.

Meanwhile, David's segment has a bunch of just straight cooking parts with simple ingredients despite his very trendy restaurants. Edward Lee has an entire episode where he just cooks meat with fire out in the middle of fucking nowhere.

well it's possible that they're bad chefs or bad people in general, i won't defend them just because they're women. there's nothing wrong with criticizing a woman but the OP makes it seem like you're a fedora-wearing redpiller who just wants to say mean shit about women on the internet.

Well I am implying that Netflix either chooses less than par women chef's just because it's easier to appear more impressive as a woman and/or that women chefs just aren't as charismatic for some reason

Typically modern media 'interest story'. Gabrielle had 2 kids, then divorced her bread winning husband and married a woman.

I'll go back to /pol/ now.

Amerifats really need to shut the fuck up with their Yelp shit.

But yes, most womens chefs are shit as head chef.They excell in garde mangier and patisserie tho. but even there, the men are mostly better in a professional enviroment

t. head chef in a french style high class restaurant whose patisserie chef is a fatass black lady from ghana who makes such good desserts that we got into a few magazines just because of her.

Yelp is literally just "street talk" except on the internet, how else are we supposed to know about these random ass restaurants? I'm not shelling out 60 bucks just to find out a place has shitty food

>below 4 stars on Yelp
lol

Nice restaurants are typically not an enjoyable experience to the working class. They're intimidating places full of strangely named food, alien customs (like "entrees" that are not a huge heap of slop with an automatic side of fries) and the dangling implication of some sort of intentional surprise. Surprise is where the divide lies. The target customer of a place like that thinks a bit of novelty, in preparation, ingredients, or presentation, is a bonus. It doesn't even always have to be successful, but at least, some effort at delivering surprise is a sign that the place cares.

For some others, like people a generation (or less) removed from living hand to mouth, predictable food is a matter of life and death. Perhaps they lucked out, got a job in a booming sector, or inherited a home, or something like that? Doesn't change the ingrained tendency. Surprise, or the expectation of surprise, undermines all the prerequisites to enjoyment.

Yelp is where people who should have just gone to Olive Garden go to vent after they experienced regret from trying to experience life on the other side of the railroad tracks.

p.s. been to several Bloomfield restaurants, they're good.

Have you seen the pictures of the food at Prune? Lmao, it's not high class or haute cuisine by any mean.

If you think the food and wine at Prune are typical of working class food in America, you're even more out of touch than me. Kudos on that.

here is a picture of food with consideration to novelty, proper preparation, quality ingredients, and thoughtful presentation

here is some more of that food that can only be enjoyed by the elite who can truly comprehend the joys of a deep fried sandwich and eggs

>t. head chef in a french style high class restaurant
Nobody believes that.

Meanwhile here is Magnus' restaurant, Fäviken, rated 5 stars on Yelp

>go to a restaurant you saw on Netflix
>wow, the sandwich is $20
>I bet it's going to be amazing
>it's a fried sandwich
>mommy mommy make the mean liberals stop cucking me!
This is no one's fault but your own

some more food that resonated well with the working class

>he's actually defending this
For what purpose?

It looks pretentious af.

I hate to say this.... well not really. Most people who call themselves "chef", lets say 80%, are actually fucking hacks. I have only worked with one person who is actually a capital C Chef, i.e., works the line faster, can cook anything without a recipe, creative specials off the top of his head, can control a line of "LOL I'm a pirate" retards, knows how to calculate food cost, streamlines processes, etc.

Of the other "chefs" I have worked for, I would say 60% male 40% female, the males are mostly more like kitchen managers, as in they are great on the line and good at organizing prep and keeping people in line. The females are basically diversity hires who you would never want on the line during the rush but are good at coming up with cute ideas for specials/menu items. I'm sure that there are some good actual women chefs out there, but they will never be as good as a man. To be a real leader of men (and don't kid yourself, line cooks are 90% men), you have to have the aura of "this guy is better at my job than me, and could probably kick my ass". No woman can truly lead a group of alcoholic, testosterone fueled dudes. It just doesn't work that way.

or maybe we should be looking at someone with a few more reviews from working class people, someone who was just a regular ol guy like us. Sean Brock with his southern-style restaurant, Husk

Surely this food will be grilled cheese quality right?

Infantilizing the opposition is a poor tactic that serves only as masturbation for your own ego.

>a $20 brunch menu item might as well be $400
Poverty logic
Defending what? I'm just pointing out how strange it seems to see someone talking about Yelp scores for fairly well respected chefs.

Because the chef is a woman and thus cannot be critiqued.

I'm saying no well respected chef gets consistently bad reviews when their restaurant serves basic shit like eggs and steak, MilkWood, Edward's restaurant is reviewed quite well and isn't nearly as expensive as Fäviken

Oh and here is April Bloomfield's restaurant, The Spotted Pig... a burger and fry joint I guess

>half a potato's worth of "fries" and a slider
How much does it cost?

26 USD

I don't understand, is it that supposed to make me angry?

No, just supposed to showcase the difference between the female chefs showcased on Mind of a Chef and the male chefs

Pffffffffffthahahaha

>raw eggs
>english muffin out of a pack
>frozen hashbrowns,

>burnt bread
>eggs steamed not fried
>jelly from a jar

If this is high dining for breakfast, then i'll just fucking stay home

>only meat and bun
>worst way to prepare fries

is she even fucking trying

Note that this is considered $$$, or the 31 to 60 USD range. Edward Lee's southern comfort restaurant, MilkWood is shown as $$ or the $11 to 30 USD range and this is what you can get there.

is that the ass of a lemon?

Breakfast (and brunch, which is what those are) is never "high dining"

it actually has a very thin layer of what I assume is bleu cheese under the bun

i see a house made biscuit with a bunch of potentially tasty bullshit on top. I'd try it

Messy, but looks legit good.

For close to $30, it better at least be more than pre-packaged shit.

so someone sneezed bluecheese in the other room with that burger. sounds shit

I feel like... it's an egg? I'm not quite sure, I forgot what the yelp description was

high end breakfast and lunch is amazing dude, im sorry you never had it.

30 bucks for that mess is a joke

If you don't want to spend $30+ for breakfast, try not ordering steak and a bloody mary at a sit down joint

Better yet, go to the corner bodega and order a bacon egg & cheese on a roll and eat that on the sidewalk

what no it can't possibly be an egg, I have no clue

why...why is that knife about to fall apart? Isn't this supposed to be a higher end place?

Where are you from that you think brunch is lunch?

>dude this is shit
>well don't get it then and go somewhere else
>yeah but it's still shit

I at least dont want my shit to look like my drunk uncle terry cooked it in another one of his benders

I really don't understand what you're complaining about. Do people go to places like the Spotted Pig expecting the food to be stacked in neat little towers with geometric sauce patterns?

Well according to the episodes of Gabrielle Hamilton that I watched, she uses really cheap stuff in her kitchen because...? I guess because she's a mom living in New York? She consistently berates her line for wasting literally the crumbs on the table or the smear on the bottom of a pot.

However, if you watch any of David Kinch or Magnus Nilsson's episodes, they have a one-on-one session with their chefs on new entries to the menu where they seem genuinely interested

>nitpicking this hard
Hamilton please go

>If you don't want to spend $30+ for breakfast
Don't order it at Bloomfield's restaurant.

>sees burnt sandwich and steamed eggs
>implies it must be a steak and bloody mary
It's like you're ignoring every post made up to this point.

Once again you are complaining that a mid priced "comfort food" restaurant isn't delivering the same type of experience that a $400 restaurant delivers.

I know $25 and $400 must both seem way out of reach, but they're really not, nor are they expected to be, remotely comparable.

I need to watch this episode, she seems off her fuckin rocker

this thread is cancer

none of the food pics look bad and you all sound like bitter cucks

In all fairness, that burnt bread is supposed to be burnt. It's deep fried, it's a monte cristo. But everything else looks bland.

Do people really charge $30+ for food they dumped out of a bag and heated up and expect people to be happy with it?

>lunch vs brunch is nitpicking
Sure and sushi is the same thing as ramen because they're both from Japan

It's the very first episode of season 4 I believe, which is not terrible as she makes some like ok-ish dishes. But wow I expected the restaurant to be a bit more than some average ass brunch place with the way she treats her line.

>is supposed to be burnt
Holy shit, this defense force is unreal.

As opposed to shat out of an angel's ass and dipped in liquid nitrogen?

How would you expect to cook a hamburger if not with some sort of heat?

I like how you keep on doing this "you must be poor and can't appreciate this" schtick even as I compare a CHEAPER restaurant to the stuff Hamilton was plating out

i don't see a burnt sandwich, it looks like a pretty normal amount of browning. both the presentation and the photograph are bad tho

>comfort food means they can't buy new 2 dollar steak knives when theirs are literally falling apart

Hamilton please go

>dumps preformed "hamburger" patty out of a bag
>heats it up
>WALA IT'S HOMECOOKED!
>$35 PLUS TIP PLEASE

I am appreciating all the proper chefs restaurants, just not April "American Iron Chef" Bloomfield's or Hamilton's new york brunch spot

>dumps preformed "hamburger" patty out of a bag
>heats it up
>WALA IT'S HOMECOOKED!

where is this coming from

>deep fried is burnt

holy shit dude really

the steak and the monte cristo sandwich both look good, you're being total cancer.

I didn't say they didn't look good. I would eat them... at Norm's. Certainly not a chef I would feature among Magnus Nilsson or even Sean Brock

Why reply to posts you didn't read?

oh and the burger too.

i really don't see any other explanation for your actions other than you're trying to make a point about women by being emphatically harsh about these pictures.

I'm saying nothing about women, my grandma is an excellent cook. I'm saying Netflix made poor choices with their women chefs because of cultural significance (Hamilton wrote a bunch of trendy books and is now a lesbian, Bloomfield is an Iron Chef) while they didn't hold men to those standards and thus they were of better quality episodes along with highlighting better restaurants

i have read the whole chain. i don't see where you're getting the 'out of a bag and dumped into a pan' thing. it seems made up/speculative.

there is a mixture of different types of cuisine on mind of a chef. it's not supposed to be a hall of fame show for the world's culinary masters.

oh sorry, I read it wrong. She simply competed on Iron Chef America and got the highest score. Certainly impressive im sure.

>as I compare a CHEAPER restaurant
You mean the one you kept mentioning that's in like, East Methville, Mississippi?

Hmm I wonder why that could be
>restaurant rent in Mississippi: $475 a month
>restaurant rent in NYC: $67,000 a month

>i have read the whole chain
Clearly you didn't.

>food they dumped out of a bag and heated up

Different types of cuisine? Sure. That's expected.

But there should be some standard level of quality involved.

The vibe I got from Hamilton is that the episodes were more about "her" rather than "the food".

you're saying that women were selected because of cultural criteria and men weren't. i don't think that's entirely true, i think they were all selected for cultural reasons.

i haven't seen all the episodes of mind of a chef, it's just apparent from the pictures you're posting along with your hyperbolic commentary that you're reaching, trying to labour a point.

Are you actually trying to argue that they're justified in how much they charge for this slop?
This quality of food is expected of a roadside diner.

You're right. I appreciated Chang's trendy japanese-inspired modern cuisine with sweets and baked goods, Brock's homemade southern comfort foods, Lee's fusion of Korean, Northern, and Southern American tastes, and Nilsson's pure swedish creativity

I just didn't want to see episodes about a french chef making salad because her kids liked it and Bloomfield reminiscing about burgers

i read that you already mentioned it you fucktard, the point is you pulled it out of thin air in the first place. there's no evidence anyone has done this.

I know Veeky Forums thinks restaurants should charge the exact wholesale cost of ingredients and not a penny more, but these places are, actually, supposed to be for-profit businesses. You have to pay rent, insurance, taxes, wages, and so on, before you even get to the ingredients.

$30 for brunch, including a drink, is pretty normal in NYC

I'm not quite looking for normal on a show featuring bright and creative minds in the world of cuisine

Refer to
That english muffin clearly came out of a bag, and that "hashbrown" has clearly been reheated in the fryer.
If you can't figure that out from the image, you have no business talking about food quality.

nigger you're trying way too hard.

>is pretty normal in NYC
Maybe for quality food, but not for diner slop.

>he's still defending it

i'm not defending it. i'm just saying it's not clear to me that it came out of a bag.

I don't think you've actually had diner slop, but clearly you're on a crusade here. I have to leave for work, have fun screeching all day about a Netflix show

Actually you guys are right, we shouldn't be comparing brunch food.

Here is the lamb with crispy mint and feta over potato wedges. 24 USD

Then you've never cooked anything.

that's not even me, the OP, lmao

>I have to leave for work
You don't work.

i have cooked at least one thing, user.

that thing was english muffins.

they looked like that.

Cutting a store-bought muffin in half and toasting it isn't cooking.

>that lamb
holy shit there is like literally nothing on it

to me this stage of the argument feels like we've just had a movie sword fight atop a ship's plank and you've been doing dirty tricks the whole way through and now you're on your back and throwing sand in my eyes.

i meant that i have baked english muffins from scratch.

>but the OP makes it seem like you're a fedora-wearing redpiller who just wants to say mean shit about women on the internet.

I don't agree with that, I think the OP supports the very real and normally true notion that men are just better at basically everything than women, all people considered

it's a scored chop.