Mac 'n' Cheese General

Share your strats for the ultimate comfort food

Today I made some with Manchego and Chorizo

Anyone got some good tech for keeping mac & cheese nice and creamy after refrigerating?
Shit always goes dry for me

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>make big batch of cheese sauce
>don't add pasta
>portion off cheese sauce and refrigerate
>make fresh pasta each day
>add portion of cheese sauce to hot pasta to reheat

Could be a good way to save time but also retain that fresh mac taste
Also could reduce oil separation that typically comes with reheating mac & cheese in the microwave

Gonna try this later
Will post results tomorrow if thread isn't delet

seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html
I'm very curious about this technique, has anyone here tried it?

You need some stewed tomatoes or roasted red peppers to top off your mac n cheese. The tartness of the tomatoes contrasts with the creaminess of the cheese.

Ground mustard seed in the cheese sauce (not the condiment, the powder), a layer of cheese then a layer of breadcrumb mixed with butter put on top before baking. Topped with lots of green onion after baking. A few drops of Tabasco is good too. I like having it with a vinegary side salad to balance it out a bit since it's pretty rich.

If you don't have a breadcrumb topping to get soggy then you can reheat it with a bit of water or milk. Pasta always absorbs moisture from sauces as it sits so you need to add a bit more back in when reheating, you can't really prevent it unless you soak the cooked pasta in water until it's absorbed as much as it'll hold but that'll probably give it a strange/mushy texture. Either that or just take advantage of it being dry and make fried mac and cheese.

I like to make a proper bechamel and then add in gruyere and monterey jack
then I boil up a bunch of mac and drain it well
I then prepare a single packet of kraft mac and cheese and stir it through the bechamel and finally add the drained mac and combine

>gruyere
based, but man its expensive

No but now I'm curious. If you try it please post results comparing it to a regular roux based mac

How about some broiled cherry tomatoes

>take advantage of it being dry and make fried mac and cheese.
hey, is that a good idea

>seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html

I haven't followed that exact recipe, but I always make mac and cheese without a roux. If you pick a cheese that melts well on its own then the roux is totally unnecessary. Gruyere and gouda are great choices. So is blue cheese.

The roux is only needed if you pick a cheese that doesn't melt well, like cheddar.

Boil pasta
Cook in this

Wa la, I like to add black pepper as a secret ingredient

>double cheddar
Wow look at moneybags putting on airs here

I live for decadence my friend, a night dining with me is a true hedonistic delight of limitless excess

Instead of bread crumbs, use crushed Cheetos.

Add a small amount of milk or butter when reheating.

This is such a stupid question but how do I make the cheese sauce taste more like the Kraft artificial shit? I've used just standard UK cheddar and something about the taste is off. I want that strong taste man.

Probably a mix of velveeta, sharp cheddar, and cheese whiz.

Not 100% sure (I'm not a fan of the fake cheese taste so this is going off of old memories where I ate it to be polite), but that would probably bring you a bit closer to what you wanted.

It sounds weird, but maybe some of that dried parm would help a bit too, its got a similar fake, pseudo-cheese sharpness

Yeah I was thinking of adding something around those lines. Thanks user

this might or might not be a meme post but I use crushed salt and paper kettle cooked lays

infinitely better than crumbs or panko

You could probably bulk order kraft shit online

What else do you use? Milk/butter?

My God, this looks amazing.

Way too much cheese in this recipe, it's even more than the frozen Stouffer's. Use more pasta or less cheese.

I've made this. Makes an extremely rich and cheesy mac. Its hard to eat a lot of it, but it's way more flavorful than any other method I have tried. Like other user said, i would use more noodles than this recipe calls for to even it out.

Pasta, cheese that melts well, and a little cream. Milk would probably work too.