What are typical books an English major would study?

What are typical books an English major would study?

Other urls found in this thread:

english.ox.ac.uk/course-structure
undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/english
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shitty YA identity politics, unless you go to St. John's or somewhere similar.

What literature would you put in an university English curriculum if you could?

Confirmed never having gone to university

I'm not sure how common early English literature courses are, but probably Beowulf, Chaucer, the Pearl Poet (mainly Gawain), Herbet, Donne, Swift, Sterne, Milton, Jonson, Shakespeare, Bunyan, to name a few.

I have, and I've checked many reading lists. There's literally graphic novels on them, like Persepolis, there's young adult novels written by POCs, and there's a couple actual pieces of literature written by "dead straight white men."

english.ox.ac.uk/course-structure
undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/english

Spenser, Shakespeare, Dickens, Eliot, Austen, Melville, Joyce, Woolf, to name a few.

heh i hadn't read that post, we both said to name a few.

I mean, universities may offer intro level English courses on modern stuff like that. My school has a dystopian fiction class in the English department. But if you were actually pursuing an English degree, that would just be one of your electives. The requirements to get a degree in English are going to be actual literature

Been reading too much right wing bs lad

Lol youve never been have you

No, wow, you caught me. Detective Trueman on the case. I literally lied about everything. It's not like I'm a president of my university or anything. Faggot.

>English major

Are you actually?

yep, i completely forgot Spenser somehow, and i loved the Faerie Queene. and i second all the more recent authors you included

You did lie

i envy you your willpower to charge through Spenser, have you read any Burton? i suppose he would also be an excellent example of one to study under english lit.

St. John's? NY or MN?

Fifty shades of grey series

I read some good stuff at school. Borges, Pynchon, Virginia Woolf, Aleramo, Kafka, Kawabata, Nabokov, Jennifer Egan, DFW, John Barth. Lolita is huge for critical reading courses, Crying of Lot 49 gets assigned a lot, Dream Tigers by Borges was a nice surprise, also had to read Labyrinths.

Hardly any. English majors in the US might read three or four books in a semester, and 80% of them don't even care to read those.

This. I took a class on American Lit in college, and all we read were by female or minority authors bitching about white men.

He's talking Annapolis. I went to St. John's NY. Fucking sucked my dude.

These are the prescribed readings for my uni's Intro to English class:

>Peter Carey, selected short stories
>Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
>Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
>Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway
>Thomas Pynchon, The Crying of Lot 49
>Carol Ann Duffy, Rapture

Fuck

I'm a senior and I want to go to Michigan so bad, but why are they so cucked?

Is there literally any reason to get an English degree if you're not determined to do graduate studies afterwards?

I've read various articles about how BAs in English are starting to get some traction in the corporate world because they are desperate for employees who know how to communicate effectively, but I feel like that's bullshit.

They're desperate for professionals who also know how to communicate well, not random idiots blabbering poetically.

You joke but after looking for 'proper jobs' for the past three months, the idea of working as a barista again is pretty appealing.

It's not exactly like most of the entry-level monkey work you can get as English lit grad is paid much less than what you get for making delicious coffees all day.

Lol, Michigan. Enjoy a place that thinks it's the best in the world while solidly producing constant mediocrity.

Depends on the ideological contours of the institution. Some will be trying to stretch the literary tradition to be more inclusive and incorporate intersectional or comparative study into their field, while more conservative instutitions offer an explicit focus on classical form, mythology, technique, tradition etc.

t. Ohio state

Are you in the UK?

I'm studying English Lit in a third world country, here's what's on the reading list for my Novel classes:

Robinson Crusoe
Gulliver's Travels
Ivanhoe
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
Great Expectations
Vanity Fair
Wuthering Heights
Heart of Darkness
A Passage to India
Sons and Lovers
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Mrs. Dalloway
Lord of the Flies

In that order.

Why is the one common book in all of these lists Great Expectations?