Japanese food sucks

It's bland and one-dimemsional and the one decent thing they make is watered down Indian curry. Amazing what weebs will convince themselves of. If you list japanese cuisine as one of your favorites then just cut out your tongue cuz you ain't using it properly.

Other urls found in this thread:

sushimaki.com/menu
youtube.com/watch?v=BMuLYVOqFNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Americanized sushi is the best thing to happen to Japanese food.

What did they change?
t. never ate either sushi

>people still fall for the true taste of the ingredient meme

Japanese sushi tends to be pretty simple. While they do have rolls they tend to be made with a small number of ingredients.

Americanized sushi focuses on rolls. They are often highly complex and have all sorts of sauces drizzled on them.

I think they're both great on their own merits.

Interdasting ty.

Haven't you made this thread before?

I fucking hate sauces and fake crab shit

At least use authentic Japanese cuisine instead of curry if you want to bait

>b-b-b-but muh subtle flavors and 100 tiny bowls!
Yea, nah, it's boring

>Americanized sushi is the best thing to happen to Japanese food.
I have to admit the american fusion items are my favorite on the menu. This (Abe Ng's rididulously pedigree'd Sushi Maki) menu is a hit with its lychee, mango, avocado, fresh citrus, soft shell crab, guava, roast pork, cream cheese, plantains, see if you can discover why they are the biggest thing in Japanese food in Florida.
sushimaki.com/menu
There's a reason they are in all the Whole Foods, and every stadium and airport.

t. pajeet who can't eat food without overspicing it in order to kill the giardia and destroyed his palate in the process.

Some shit just tastes bland. Eating it unseasoned for the sake of tradition is dumb.

Just because poor plebs 200 years ago couldn't afford spices doesn't mean you have to eat boring food.

don't you have a street to shit in?

Its much less spice-y but i would hardly call it one dimensional.

so basically japan focuses on the quality of few simple ingredients, while america prefers thowing in as much fake crab and shit sauces they possibly can in order to please the desensitized palate of pigs used to MSG?

Haha yeah fuck off kunt

japan has literal table shakers of msg, the thing with rolls is more that it lets you hide the fish

From what I understand...a student here, so...
Traditional Japanese food is kind of the opposite of American culture.
Precise portions, paired with intent. A very controlled atmosphere.

To put it another way; improv is not welcome.
Recipes are designed to reflect precise tastes and passed down.
Talkin' about down to every grain of rice in some cases...
From what I understand, it boils down to pallet per dish.
Optimizing that to the fullest.

So there is a love and hate with this...
Which I think why, when trads get to the states they go nuts with fusion...
Partly to cater to the customers...but partly to kind of freewheel and experiment...

Imagine escaping...
Someone's dad, standing over you...
NO NO NO NO NO...start over...
Horrible...

youtube.com/watch?v=BMuLYVOqFNQ

>Just because poor plebs 200 years ago couldn't afford spices doesn't mean you have to eat boring food.

But spices aren't the only way to season food.

Is it better than Korean Food, though?

Pretty much, yeah. Mostly because Japan has fucking awesome access to good fresh fish while that would be limited to coastal areas in Japan.

>Precise portions, paired with intent. A very controlled atmosphere.
>To put it another way; improv is not welcome.

That's certainly true of fine dining in Japan--i.e. Kaiseki, tea ceremony, meals at ryokans, and so on. But remember that Sushi started out as street food. It was a cheap snack that could be eaten with your hands. Sure, there are some fancy sushi places that are very formal, but the majority of sushi is sold at cheaper places where there is no real formality. You can even get sushi delivery, or from a convenience store.

>Some shit just tastes bland

Indeed. But sushi is by definition seasoned. Originally it was fermented and had a very strong flavor, a bit like blue cheese. Then the fermentation step was replaced with using vinegar. The word sushi basically means "vinegar rice".

>while that would be limited to coastal areas in America.

Fixed my retarded fuckup.
Point is that some flyover isn't going to be able to get sushi quality fish for anywhere near a reasonable price, so cheaper ingredients like fake crab are substituted.

Yeah when I feel like eating curry I usually go to an Indian place and for sushi I try eating at an Americanized Japanese cuisine. There are some authentic Japanese restaurants in SFO but the uncooked items like sushi which it was famous for didn't really do it for me. Authentic japanese ramen is one of my favorite bites though! Can never get enough of pork bone.

Post Korean War Korean food rocks. Marinated fried chicken, grilled pork bellies and such.

Do you have an elipsis fetish or something?

I'm Indian and I like sushi a lot. Mostly for the wasabi and ginger I'll admit but japanese food can be good when you don't want to pig out nor want to pay for an expensive meal.

What I don't get is people paying hundreds of dollars for sushi.

DESIGNATED

SHART

KANGZ

JUST

FUCKED

AND

SHIT

Yes

Yeah no /pol/ was great for this website, surely

A good point. Still, it's always been interesting to me how precise portions are in Japanese cuisine. Take sushi, whatever way. Pretty much the exact opposite of the Olive Garden in every way imaginable--clean precision versus sloppy over indulgence, even at the most base level, you know?

Some curry is alright, there's like place in town that does god-tier THICC curry pots, shame its overpriced as fuck

Japan has the "Sa Shi Su Se So" or 5 S's of Cooking. They are, in order

>Sato (Sugar)
>Shio (Salt)
>Su (Vinegar)
>Seuyu -> Shouyu (Soy Sauce)
>Miso

As a result the flavours in their dishes tend to be simple. Keep in mind that Japanese cooking is about texture, not so much the taste.