Are there any posters on here that attend an Ivy League?

Are there any posters on here that attend an Ivy League?

If so, can you share your expiriences pertaining to the student body and class instruction?

Everyone's a keener and it's really easy to become an exquisitely polished mediocrity

I would prefer not to

Something like 85% of us are Ivy League. Almost all of us have a ten inch cock. All of us can last an hour on a bad day. Make 300k over the summer. Fuck three different bitches every day.
And you're asking us about classes. Fuck outta here.

Well it just so happens I'm writing my history altering magnum opus and want to get it published whilst in an Ivy so I can reap the lucrative rewards of my endless insight and virtue.

Fuck outta here brainlet

nothing special

>be me, freshman at top ivy, Fall 2016
>decide to take an intense, one book a week paced year-long humanities course that's offered in lieu of the writing requirement
>get to read homer, plato, aristotle, sophocles, shakespeare, the founding fathers, ulysses, etc,
>"this is gonna be great, lectures are taught by a rotating series of top professors, you get assigned a seminar with a top professor, and you get weekly writing courses with nice TFs"
>BIGGEST FUCKING LIE

>lectures are totally unrewarding, except for one dude who actually conducts himself as a serious literary critic, but only gets a chance to lecture once
>another prof on Shakespeare: ITS LUCRETIUS BRO, THE RENAISSANCE WAS ALL ABOUT LUCRETIUS, READ MY BOOK BRO... hell at least this lecture was interesting. I could have put together 90% of other lectures.
>one professor does nothing but brag about how he met toni morrison and gabriel garcia larquez in Mexico
>same professor often started seminars by reading passages out loud from the book, like popcorn reading shit we did in elementary school
>eventually found out that he's a half-Mexican anthropologist, focusing on Aztec mythology
>why the fuck is he in this course? diversity.
>seminars full of wealthy, snobby students, often foreigners, bashing middle class white people because it's election year.
>have to hold back my tongue to deal with these arrogant shits, sparing them from a thrashing the likes they have never seen
>get an essay pushed back a week because of the election, have to fake having tears or get ostracized by peers
>final lecture with student-submitted questions, final question is "Which one of our selected works should the president read?"
>lucretius-bro professor couldn't help but pander to a class of snot-nosed freshmen and say "the federalist papers" for cheap laughs
>mfw some people (not me, TY financial aid) are paying $60,000 for this experience that can be emulated for free on the Huffington Post
>get 10% taken off final grade because I didn't go out one of the few outings that always filled up by the time I was able to respond... an A knocked down to B+ for an event that's otherwise meant to inflate GPA
>learned literally nothing except that Plato is an unrepentant badass, that Cortez did nothing wrong, and I loathe the people I interact with at this school
>mfw I'm done with liberal arts and I declare a major in chemical biology

Never. Fucking. Again. The only worthwhile experience was encountering people who seemed genuinely into literature, which inspired me to strengthen my analytical skills. Otherwise, these people, professors and students included, were nothing more than hacks and aliens. Completely fucking bewildered by how some of these people manage to breathe. Go to these schools only for the fucking name on a piece of paper. You will have your individuality and your sanity robbed at corner.

...What was the Lucretius prof's name?

What was that? Sorry, I got distracted because my nobel prize shelf finally gave way under the weight.

I go to Columbia

Students are hit or miss. I hate about half of the people I meet

Lots of elitism. The people ive met in clubs are generally better but have some degree of social ineptitude

Mostly spend my time with my suitemates (who are very chill and in my frat) and with my bf

>sparing them from a thrashing the likes they have never seen
Ok, I laughed.

Actually sounds like you had a good time.

I took a similar class at Princeton (called HUM sequence)

It was disgustingly bad

Ivies are fine and I'm sure the education is better than most, but that is meaningless and you shouldn't expect too much from your classes.

>frat
>bf
Truly patrician desu

>not reinforcing shelves hung FOR THE PURPOSE of collecting nobel prize
>nobel prizelett-cucklet
>SHIGGY

I bet your opinion on works don't even influence the judges KEK

>get an essay pushed back a week because of the election, have to fake having tears or get ostracized by peers

Yep. It's a nightmare. So glad to be leaving. It's a suffocating echo chamber filled with the most pseudo-enlightened 'freedom fighters' you've ever seen.

I hated it. I made some good friends, but I fucking hated the culture. You're better off going to a state school.

>better off going to a state school

I'm a US soldier, and I was thinking of going to school abroad for a free education and returning to America for post grad studies.

All in all, American logic is beginning to elude me.

Princetonanon here, I agree with this. I think that "academia" culture is toxic, and I've learned to value a lack of pretentiousness over intellect here quite quickly

There's few things more obnoxious than "Marxist" tenured professors making $100k a year at an Ivy League, moaning about "exploitation".

They don't give two shits about the GA/TAs or adjuncts who are being exploited so they don't have to teach the pleb classes.

you're not
>t. somebody at a state school

My favorite short story

As someone who goes to a state school, how do I deal with feelings of inadequacy and envy?

I come from clueless immigrant parents. Feels bad man.

Should be noted that they only finished high school back in their country, and came from poverty. We're solidly middle class now, but it sure sucks not having guidance growing up. Hell, I even remember translating fucking bills for them as a six year old, because their English was that bad.

By being the best version of you. Ivy Leaguers have to become great in spite of their Ivy League education. At least you haven't been coddled in your college education because your parents gave you tutors and you lucked out on college admissions. The only reason the Ivy League has any brand name recognition is because suckers like you allow them to have it.

I went from state to Ivy for postgrad

Work twice as hard to find the people who care. And actually work to find out who you are, and bust your ass to be the best (objectively, not just locally) at that thing. Then you can go anywhere and do anything. Most Ivy kids don't do this.

State schools produce "OK" smart people by default, and top tier schools produce "Good" smart people by default, but "Great" is accessible to both, and I think it's actually harder to accomplish at a top tier school because "Good" is so seductive and so easy.

>The only reason the Ivy League has any brand name recognition is because suckers like you allow them to have it.
You're right, but how exactly do I get past this? You mention being the best version of myself, but that's a bit vague.

>actual open gays in frats not just "dude frats r 4 gays" meme

You're a long way from Texas

Anyone here with Yale stories?

Just do what you want to fucking do, and do it well. Nobody's gonna talk shit about your pedigree when few Ivy Leaguers can compete.

good choice going into science

i went to NYU and did chemistry but took some liberal arts courses for fun. i never realized how idiotic and out of touch to reality liberal college students really are. the professors that were blatantly liberal were even worse. always choose STEM and teach yourself literature on your own. it's the best path.

STEM Phds are for the hired help, you're going to a ruling class institution but doing a vocational degree for peti-bourgeois climbers, Sad!

lol

I know many people who did this among the grad students here, so I really wouldn't worry too much if you are passionate and work hard I think the most important thing is to read, to be honest. I'm constantly disgusted by how few of the kids here even do their required readings, much less supplementary ones.

You shouldn't feel personally inferior for not coming to a place like this. It is 85% a lottery, including a lottery of birth (in a class currently with a kid who probably has an IQ of 60....oh guess what, his last name is the same name as my dorm). The learning environment here is also very toxic, since you are supposed to hate all your classes and do everything you can to do as little work as possible. People that take advantage of the many opportunities here are derided, and others are always looking to throw you under the bus to benefit themselves. I know a kid who got a federal government opportunity that you need a background check for, gave the name of one of her "closest friends" and was backstabbed and lost the job.

I honestly really dislike it here even though I've found some people I care about and academically I do well. I come from the rural midwest this has been a huge culture shock for me. I think that people from the coasts might genuinely be soulless.

>rewind to when America used wampam
>we massed produced it to get an edge on the honest natives
>hey this isn't enough, I think we should round them up and put them on 'reserves"
>fast forward to today

Humans are soulless in general, Americans are just the gold standard.

Princetonanon here, I was close to someone who goes to Yale now and went full SJW since getting there. Kind of sad, because he used to be funny and now he gets triggered by almost everything as a microagression.

I think Yale is most infected with SJWism of HYP for sure

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure if I want to go to grad school. My school's SCM program is ranked in the top 5 in the nation (I'm double majoring in Supply Chain Management and Computer Information Systems), and I'm the first in my family to attend university, albeit a state university, but I'm sure there have been people like me who have gone to/or are currently at the top universities.

I realize that there's more to life than your alma mater, but I can't help but feel somewhat annoyed by the elitism among high school students. For example, my friend is at Tufts now, and I just know she looks down at me for attending our state univ.

looks down on* whoops

and
>I think the most important thing is to read, to be honest. I'm constantly disgusted by how few of the kids here even do their required readings, much less supplementary ones.
Are you serious? This is a surprise, since I was expecting more from Ivy students.

Not an Ivy, but Stanford here
>students are hardworking and super competitive
>start up/stem fags are irritating and arrogant
>humanities program is lightweight and very liberalized
>humanities students are all women or pseudy effeminate men, literally the STEM throwaways, people who couldn't make it in engineering
>except for philosophy, which is pretty good but very small and analytic focused
>humanities faculty is relatively exclusive, and STEM faculty virtually does not meet with students because there are too many
>sophomore and already have job offers

maybe worth it, but I sure don't feel like it

also,
>a lot of dumb kids mixed in that you can immediately tell got in because of affirmative action
>a lot of smart asians
>a lot of dumb rich whites who more or less bought their way in

As someone who lives in the Amazon jungle and has no intention of ever going to an Ivy League school...

... Why on Earth do you pay for it? Who in their right mind would ever bother to study literature with the help of a teacher? Did Melville have literature teachers? Did Fernando Pessoa?

Read books, for God's sake, and emulate the style of the great authors. Copy the whole of Shakespeare. Memorize Milton. Learn French. Train meters. Train many, many, many different types of meters.

I confess Ivy League might be good for making friends, however. I myself am quite alone and know no one else with interests similar to mine. I'm a Law student and I don't pay a single cent to go to university.

This.

You don't become intelligent by studying under smart people, you get there by challenging yourself, coming up short, and changing your perspective. Identify your flaws, train your weak point, and repeat the aforementioned cycle.

Bodybuilding teaches you a myriad of skills to help further your mental state. Speaking from experience identifying a strength deficit and overcoming it holds a very similar emotional feeling to that epiphany you feel when studying difficult material.
I can't quite put it into words at 4am and drunk off champagne, but physical persistence involving reaching goals translates nicely to building new and unique mental habits. It's always an uphill battle, but it's one that can be fought effectively alone.

does Hogwarts count?

You pay for the pedigree and the potential connections you can make (for the jobs).

You won't learn anything useful in the humanities in most colleges since they're essentially just vacuous liberal echo chambers.

How dare you

That's funny, because I know I am supposed to look down on people from Tufts. You shouldn't let retarded hierarchies like that get to you: there's always going to be someone else above whoever is above you. People that look down on you for things like that aren't worth your time.

I think something to think about is that by going to a state school, you multiplied the number of alumni connections you could have by a couple thousand, which can only help you in the future, especially if you just want to go into the workforce.

I really think you should just make the most of your experience there and enjoy your freedom from this atmosphere (even though I recognize this is easier to say from where I sit, and maybe it's meaningless since I don't plan on dropping out).

completely serious

We have "precepts" which are basically required small discussion groups for almost every (non-lab) class (normally 10-15 kids) and I have never been in one where more than 3 kids had something to say (though at least another 10 will bullshit something for "participation" grade).

Princeton again, I went here for the job connections. It's been helpful; I got the exact internship I want for this summer, and I don't think I would have without this school.

And here we go

The upper crust of undergraduate education is still full to brimming with kids who don't read and who do bare minimum shit. They're there to confirm that they're part of the upper class, not to actually devote themselves to scholarship or anything like that.

There is a smaller layer of kids who actually do the readings, and they still end up being fucking nothings, because they approach it in the same way they approached the seemingly highfalutin curriculum of their fancy private high school. They read 34 pages of Nietzsche and absorb a few approved talking points on Nietzsche and then spend the rest of their lives not only pretending to "know" Nietzsche, but not realizing they're pretending.

If you want to be get into any school, just read, like the other guy said. If you just read, if you actually devote your life to reading, you will be better than every single other person. The current educational system, from the bottom to the top, is based on gaming standardized tests, absorbing the correct opinions and talking points, and cultivating a plausible academic mien.

That's it. That's the whole thing. Ivies are great because they expect a little more rigorous fakery, but it's still fakery. It's WORSE fakery. You ever watch Jeopardy, and the show has a a topic you happen to be a master of, and you immediately realize these are all basic bitch surface level questions? And that the people you thought were smart were actually just really good at knowing the Correct Opinions To Have about Shakespeare and US history? Yeah, that's because they went to private schools and memorized how to be good bourgeois trivia dispensers so they can have their rich faggot friends over for barbecues and mutually agree that they are upper class Shakespeare-knowers.

If you want to actually be a human fucking being, just read all the books. Identify geniuses and emulate them and try to surpass them. Don't look to the automata who attend Yale, and automatically assume they're people.

Half the writers for shitty rags like The Guardian are neat, tidy, plausible, posh little Oxbridge brats who haven't had an original thought since they were seventeen. America's managerial class is stuffed with New York Times crossword-writing upper middle class professionals who are good for literally nothing. It's all shit. The only thing you can't learn at a state school is just how shit it is. You can't know how shit these people are until you've watch them milling about their pointless rich lives for several years, all that money and parental oversight amounting to nothing more than a well-dressed zombie who will spend the rest of his life as a prole who enunciates 40% better than the proles who make his coffee at Starbucks.

>you're going to a ruling class institution but doing a vocational degree for peti-bourgeois climbers
w-what?

>Amazon jungle
are you serious? how did you end up in such a situation? is life idyllic there?

i think i've come upon the same conclusion as you, my man. most people don't genuinely do things (whatever the thing may be), and if they do actually produce things, it's not in a genuine way. how many kids actually wanted to go and do however many hundred hours of community service over the course of high school? none of them did. they did it because they thought the admissions office would rave over it. fucking retards. then these robots grow up and start businesses and are a part of the world.

it's scary how difficult it is to have real opinions, to think on your own, etc. and if i'm finding it difficult i know it isn't a thing unique to me.

Thanks for these posts, anons. That being said, I do have younger siblings who are still in elementary school. What's the best way for them to get into prestigious universities?

This makes me feel slightly less shitty for going to a public school.

Have their shit together by the time they're 14. That's really it if your siblings have any passions.

there's nothing wrong with public schools, just that the teachers who give a shit are few and between, and they give you the material haphazardly so you constantly have to prod them to give you the maximum.

>the teachers who give a shit are few and between
This has pretty much been my experience. All of my professors do the bare minimum required to keep the class running and nothing more. I can usually have decent conversations with them if I catch them during office office hours but they're incredibly apathetic during lecture.

It's simple really, just be born Brazillian

legit question, what can be achieved by stem majors? where does it lead?

Extracurriculars in high school. Have a "passion" that sells and is fairly unique (aka not soccer unless you're the best soccer player in the country). Definitely need good grades by 14.

For example, wrote about my translating animu and it was my biggest extracurricular. I just phrased it in a non fetish way

It's faggots like you that are allowing the academics to perish to liberalism.

I actually spoke out against this shit in my final year at college, started bringing up the conservative point of view whenever liberals started jerking each other off about politics. Two professors failed me and I lost my honors but I'm the better for it.

I've got a scholarship to maintain and a med school to attend. If you think I'm going to grandstand autisticly towards an unreceptive audience, then boy you have another thing coming. Shut up you stupid faggot.

Good for you lad, if med school is what you want then stay cucked. And I mean that sincerely, you have a future and I don't.

If I ever get tenured because of research, then I'll definitely make a point to stand my ground. I also do my best to contribute by participating in Republican clubs, canvassing for Republican candidates, etc. It's just that I don't see a point in making public displays until I have the power to back it up. I'm just a wee lil' boy with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. You have to pick your battles or else your efforts mean nothing.

I went to a lower Ivy. It was a great experience. People in here need to lighten up a little bit. A big part of going to an Ivy is the connections and social cachet. At least half the people go there for free because of financial aid. It was extremely diverse place with interesting people. And if you want to, you can avail yourself of excellent classes with leading professors.

>A big part of going to an Ivy is the connections and social cachet.

Now I can impress shallow dumbasses without doing anything.

>At least half the people go there for free because of financial aid.

Perhaps the greatest advantage. I'm very thankful for this.

> It was extremely diverse place with interesting people.

97% of people think and act the same way.

>And if you want to, you can avail yourself of excellent classes with leading professors.

Unless the humanities departments are trash.

Byron went to Cambridge, Keats went to Kings, T.S Eliot went to Oxford, and that's just to name a few. You've got to be really naive to think that studying your subject at some of the best universities in the world won't give you the opportunity to be a better author/critic.

The education people receive at those universities now is sub par compared to what guys like Keats got out of it.

C.S Lewis probably had more raw knowledge as an undergrad from Cambridge than most Harvard Phds have years after getting their d.phils.

Sounds like you went to Yale.

>mfw there are people actually dumb enough to attend a university in a liberal art
Why in God's name would one do this

This. Even you some how managed to convince Oxford to let you sit a double first like Wilde, the test for Greats is easier now than even twenty years ago. I'm reasonably certain that All Souls made its entrance exam easier recently too.

I imagine it would be worse at Yale, especially without based Harold Bloom to lead you out of the culture of resentment.

This is honest to god giving me PTSD. I didn't go to an ivy league but a lot of friends and family did. I wasn't interested in college at all, but ended up at a decent top 50 university, which I hated and ended up having a mental breakdown at. The atmosphere of academia is, to echo someone above, absolutely toxic. Everyone is a poser, and an extreme narcisist. Being friends and relatives with people who were and are extremely academically ambitious and have literally said stuff like "Yeah, but pretty much anyone can get into Columbia." or "Yeah Nyu is like my back up back up back up plan" is awful. I had my "best friend" look at me while I was struggling with an undergrad while he was already starting on his pHd and say to me "Why don't you just be a plumber?" Its revealed a really ugly side and uncovered class based dynamics that I never wanted to be aware of. I tried, i still read but I wish i could stop being aware of this kind of pointless and painful intellectual game that so often goes along with it.

>I know a kid who got a federal government opportunity that you need a background check for, gave the name of one of her "closest friends" and was backstabbed and lost the job.
Columbia?

I go to Oxford, but for Physics. So... probably not that helpful I guess.

But I like almost everyone here. There are small groups of assholes (rich saudi princes who wreck restaraunts and throw money around, radical cringey right and left wing "activists", stoners who sneer at people who actually study), but the average person here is a cool, welladjusted and intelligent worker. And for some reason the people here are more attractive-looking than in my hometown, not sure why that is.

I've got an offer from Oxford. If all goes as planned I'll start studying there later this year. I'm incredibly worried about being inferior to others there. I'm a state school student from the north of the country (usually considered the inbred bit) and when I visited Oxford to be interviewed and stayed a few days, people were just so smart there.

I'm pretty much only going for the prestige and opportunities there to set me up for a successful career.

Ayy, im going there next year too.

We should be bros. Which college you at? Trinity for me.

Oxford is extremely attractive I just don't know how I can compete when I go there

Seriously man dont worry.

Oxford applicants are a thousand times more competitive and smugly superior than Oxford students. If you dealt okay with the people you interviewed with, actual Oxford students will be fine. Theyre friendly!

Ayy, I'll be at University college. I really liked Trinity when I visited, lucky you.

What course you studying? I'll be doing French and beginner's Russian

So I graduated from college with a 3.0. I did an honors thesis and have one publication (non-fiction, nothing special and only sold like 20 copies).

I've studied two languages since leaving college and I've been working a steady job as well. How would I go about doing graduate work at an Ivy or Oxford? Or am I fucked because I blew my GPA the last year at school?

My dad did that exact degree at Oxford I think. And I'll be doing Maths.

When I tell people Im going to Trinity for Maths they assume I mean Cambridge and get really impressed until I explain lmao

Nah Oxford > Cambridge. Just solely based on the extra curricular stuff. Forbes put them at number one in the world too (I continually check lists and stuff just to big myself up a bit).

You still in sixth form?

I agree that normally oxford > cam, but Trinity Cambridge really specialises in Maths specifically. Its one of the very few cases in which colleges actually do matter.

>you still in sixth form
Yeah, I'm incredibly bored. I just want to skip to starting university already!

Intelligence and attractiveness often go hand and hand, good genetics tend to come in packages

Holy shit, that sounds terrible. How did you cope? How are you today?

ahh fair enough.

Yeah me too on the sixth form thing. I've been really complacent too since getting the offer given I only need to get AAA

Which part of the UK are you from?

Central London. I've lived here all my life, so I'm looking forward to moving to oxford.

And i am *exactly* the same about the complacency thing lmao. My offer is A*AA, but an A* in maths is trivial. I just have to avoid picking up a drug addiction and I should be fine desu.

Are many of your friends going too? None of my friends got in, which I actually kind of like. The idea of a fresh start is appealing.

its amazing. you assert your traditional masculinity through hazing and drinking all the while everyone knows you get pounded

how strenuous is the physics curriculum?

I live up north. It's pretty shit but Manchester is nice. I too am excited to be out of it and living in Oxford.

I know quite a few people going to Cambridge, but all the friends I know who applied to Oxford got rejected

I'm only first year, so this might not be too accurate.

Initially it was extremely easy. The first part of the course is just making sure all the students are at the same level
I went to a pretty good secondary school, so I'd already done 70% of the stuff and had plenty of time for socialising.

The current term has been a little tougher though. Its very manageable, it just means you cant go partying every night like you can at some unis. Working at a relaxed pace, you pretty much have time for one major hobby and going out twice a week, the rest is work.

liberal arts; not even once

are you that desperate for money that you have to do a vocational degree?

>these are the only two options
lmao fucking brainlets cannot even comprehend doing a real degree

No, Princeton

Not surprised to see it's common though

We have an "eating club" (like coed frats) dedicated to kids interested in politics pretty much, which is a funny catch-22, because if you join political groups you kind of have to join that club to have friends, but if you have friends from that club your friends will all double cross you if you ever start to succeed

Yeah it's definitely the fault of college freshmen that liberal academia is completely worthless.

not at all. but if I can cater to both my needs and my interests by studying science, why would I choose propagandised interpretations of literature instead? This way, I can choose what I want to read and learn about in my own time.

does it count if you go to a mid-tier school for undergrad then go to an Ivy for grad? can you really say that you got an Ivy league education?

I dunno man, if you're having mental breakdowns at NYU maybe you should consider being a tradesman or a sailor or something.

>I'm incredibly worried about being inferior to others there
While you will encounter people there who are unquestionably smarter than you, which is good, the main thing you're probably going to learn is how fucking stupid/petty/foolish Oxford People actually are.