KBBQ

I gorged on some korean bbq the other day and decided to try it at home.

There was this really good side dish made from cucumber and radish, but doesn't seem to be a standard banchan because I can't find any recipes for cucumber AND raidsh. I'm guessing it's just sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sugar, but does anyone have clues what else might have been in it. Wasn't spicy.

Anyways I'll be posting some pics.

Other urls found in this thread:

10000recipe.com/recipe/6864390
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kbbq looks like a scam to me, just like all asian cuisine.

wow, okay. i can't wait to hear this one.

why exactly do you think korean barbecue might be a scam? and what does that even fucking mean, a food being a "scam?"

>order chicken
>its actually rat

It's kind of a hassle, yes. You have to manage the timings so there is a steady stream of food coming out as you eat and flip stuff over and adjust temperatures. Plus it makes your clothes and hair smell.

But, it tasted great, I like the concept, and I like cooking. Pic related are the marinated meats I'm cooking tonight. Left is chicken, right is beef chuck. Beef has been marinating for 36 hours and chicken since this morning because I forgot to pick up chicken.

Here is my setup. I considered buying one online, but actually discovered that the nearest korean grocer had a ton of different plates. Wasn't sure which one was good but I went with a heavy one so I could sear more meat.

stick to Mcdonalds

Cut and salted for the side dishes. Mushroom will go straight onto grill.

>A good Korean side

Yakiniku is better than Korean BBQ because the meat is basically the same but the sides aren't terrible

Cooking the chicken.
But yakiniku is not marinated, is it?

Looks yummo. What was the meat marinating in? What cut of beef?

It is

>cucumber and radish
add the word "korean" and you get about 8 hits.

It's as simple as it sounds, and of course should be good enough that you can figure it out anyway, sweet, sour, salty, bitter, fishy..this is your guide to hit all senses.
Since you're getting into this hardcore, why not go find the best couple Korean cookbooks?your mushroom looks tasty and browned

I get that Korean is a social experience, all sitting around a bowl in the center of table, talking, drinking some beer, dipping, and making it last like fondue. I like the flavors too. But, I never saw anyone take it to the home experience without the teppanaki setup or street food griddle.

Post lots of pics. Tell us about your fun! To me looks like you're dirtying about 30 bowls for the dishwasher and playing sous chef with all that mise en plase.

Magically turned into beef. Sweet onion and mushroom were very good. The mushroom browned much better than the meat and I actually liked it the best even though its only seasoning came from the meat next to it.

Meat was marinating in store bought bulgogi sauce. They have separate ones for pork/chicken and beef. The pork/chicken one is orange and is spicy. I just pick the cheapest one or the one most people got. The beef was thinly cut chuck roll and which I then cut up some more. It came out so well on the grill plate, I think I will cook more stir fry meats on it from now on.

I did include "korean" but only got one recipe that had a different looking product than what I ate. I believe it must have been a family recipe, or maybe what I had wasn't radish but something else. Pic related is what I ended up doing with the vegetables in the end. I only had two of those korean cucumbers to work with, so I ended up copying something we got and enjoyed from the korean grocer before, and it ended up very close. The radish, on the other hand, was slightly bitter to me. Perhaps it needs to soak in its juices for overnight or more, I'm not sure.

>why not go find the best couple Korean cookbooks?
I like to cross-reference recipes online just to make sure I don't forget any flavors and then going off by gut feeling.

It was a lot of fun cooking it, but definitely a lot of back and forth for one person. I had to take it out onto the balcony to avoid too much smoke inside, so it sucked the social aspect out of it. I cooked in as big batches as I could without cooling the plate to a boil, and it became a game of ferrying the meat inside, slapping on a new batch, and ducking my head inside to grab a quick bite while someone else took over.

Near the end, I was able to sit down and chow. The family thought it was delicious, and we ended up with a plateful of meat for leftovers.

>To me looks like you're dirtying about 30 bowls for the dishwasher and playing sous chef with all that mise en plase
Not too bad, and I'm not the one who has to do it hah. The pic in the OP isn't mine. I just needed a few containers to salt the vegetables and reused some of them.

What kind of radish did you use?

You used google search? I did. Amazing how they differ so much.

Nice pics. Glad you liked your results.

I had sensitive fire alarms in one apartment I live in. It sucks for searing, and I couldn't disable it with 12 foot ceilings. I couldn't even operate the gas fireplace that came with the unit without it going off, which supposedly added $150 to my monthly rate for my type of unit. It looked good with Christmas stocking hanging on it, I guess.

Anyway, once you get a pantry of the ingredients going, you won't have to buy sauces, though they can be a good deal. I used to mock up a cucumber salad to whatever asian meal I was eating. I did rice vinegar, and then depending on the cuisine it'd get a splash of fish sauce, chli oil, toasted sesame oil, lime juice, cilantro, basil, sambal....sometimes just yogurt. It didn't need to be traditional, just something other than my cider vinegar/sugar, or dill/sour cream mood. Sometimes I just put Makoto dressing on it (ginger-carrot-soy sauce dressing similar to the japanese steakhouse dressing). If I'm doing Indian food, yup, it's there. You don't have to be so traditional. Try your hand at pickling anything quickly like that, with a little fermented fish sauce, you can make it taste pretty far gone and homemade. I love marinated green onions, cut stalks into 4 inch pieces so they stand up the vinegar. Mushrooms. Mustard greens. Green beans. Brussels sprouts. Anything can be turned into fresh kimchee like a quick pickle.

One of pic related. My experience with pickling daikon radish is that it literally stinks. This one didn't stink, but was still a tad bitter even after plenty of sugar.

Korean pears are $2 each here, and the store bought marinate actually tasted as good as my from scratch one, so nowadays I just buy the bottle. It's funny you mention yogurt + cucumber. I was planning on trying my hand at tzatziki and pita next.

You have to be the nicest person I've ever seen posting on Veeky Forums

>babby's first slow board

you've got that right, glad I came to this board

sth like that ?
10000recipe.com/recipe/6864390