Grocery Stores

I've shopped at Aldi for most of my life.
I grew up pretty poor and you save an incredible amount of money by getting your food there, which is why we went. It used to be pretty trashy as far as atmosphere, but they've renovated/opened up a lot of Aldi stores in my area.

If I could complain about Aldi at all, I would say their selection isn't too great in some areas. You're limited to just Aldi's brand for most items and they may only have one size of that particular item.

Where do you go grocery shopping and what are the pros/cons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qkxAEBzLL3o
independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/aldi-gin-best-world-spirit-10-cost-cheap-international-wine-spirits-competitions-awards-a7864211.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well I used to go to Vons/Safeway until they closed down the one by my house. Seems to be the Aldi equivalent. Now I shop at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, some attempt by Walmart to make some bougie Vons for middle class neighborhoods. Has a pretty good selection and is pretty cheap so I don't mind.

They actually have a couple of those in my town but I've never thought to shop there. I feel like Walmart (supercenters) produce section is pretty shit. Tbh I thought they were closing the neighborhood Walmart stores.

The best store in my town is called Food Festival. Then we have a Walmart with some shelf food but no produce, not a Super Walmart. Then the worst super market is probably Piggly Wiggly. Kwik Trip has all the food Staples you need if you don't need to do a full shop, such as onions, bread, butter, milk, potatoes etc.

Apparently another German bargan brand store called Lidl just opened up 20 stores on the east coast. Expanding up to 600 stores within the next year.

The fucking grocery store war is on.

A long time ago in a grocery chain far far away...

STORE WARS

People who get their groceries at Walmart

My buddy had a lidl right by his place in Nottingham it was pretty sweet

The produce is middle of the line, i've got some hanger streak that wasn't bad quality from the walmart neighborhood market but I wouldn't trust them with any better cuts

not a grocery store per say (no produce) but we buy practically all of our prepackaged food at ollies, its cheap

tfw closest grocery store is 50 miles away

It's okay. In 3-5 years we will be buying all of our groceries on Amazon anyway.

There's actually one a few miles from me but i've never been. I'll have to check that out.

It's too sketchy for me to buy food at, but the clearance children's DVDs are totally up my alley.

Aldi. Deals are fantastic, they edge out even the other discount grocers in my area and most of their generics are pretty good. I go to a Walmart Neighborhood Grocer for soda and sometimes pick up a few produce items.

Vons/Ralph is my first choice for fresh produce, fresh meat, and seasonings.
Sam's Club for everything else.

Aldi has a crap selection, but luckily the one by me is within a block of a real mid-tier grocery store. I buy everything available at Aldi and for the stuff their missing, like any kind of herb, I can walk another block and get at a real grocery store.

This right here is the king of poverty shopping.

>not shopping at based Winco

I shop at Food Town which is a chain mexi-mart for produce and meat.
>Pros
It's cheap
>cons
Very few coupons or sales.

I also shop at Kroger.
>Pros
Name brand shit costs the same everywhere.
The store is much nicer and has fewer "undesirables"
Great phone app makes coupons and sales easy
Boar's Head deli is pretty good
Large selection
Kroger brand items are honestly good quality
>Cons
They don't carry a few items I buy regularly
More expensive produce and butcher/fish

I've been a Hy-Vee hick my whole life.

i go to stop&shop because its close, also discount on gas with their points

HEB. No complaints. Love their cheese shop and bakery. Their freshly made wheat tortillas are awesome. Great selection of produce and their prices are great.

Oh and they have a big selection of craft beer.

You save more by targeting marked down specials at other stores, fruit markets are also good when they are trying to compete, aldi is consistently low but you can get lower.

Redneck Aldi.

Same brands cost half as much compared to the biggest retail store here and you actually get through the cashier's in decent time, not wait for 10min while the cashier asks the grandma in front how her kids are and stupid shit like that.

Oh great I cant wait for other people to decide what produce I buy.

Aldis.
Because I'm not a dumb fuck who wastes his own money on things that won't bring me happiness.

You think people are dumb fucks for being concious of what they put in their bodies? I like Aldi but why you gotta be an edge lord?

My favorite movie theater is about to be bulldozed to make way for a Lidl. I'm sad.

Canadian poorfag here.

Most deals on bulk items are pretty good.

Metro is a good alternative if you want to by shot in bulk

>In America there is a supermarket unironically called "piggly wiggly"

Christ

UK here

Aldi and Lidl are pretty much identical too. I think we will see a death of the "middle" stores (Tesco, co-op here, dunno about murrica) and be left with posh shops and cheap as fuck shops.

Are there still "people" who unironically don't shop at Whole Foods?

Why would I when food co-ops exist?

I miss Ralphs. It was super comfy because employees never bugged you. I would chill the room temperature 2 liters in freezer for 15 minutes and go read magazines while I waited. But they closed the one by my house down.

I go to Winco now. It's alright. They have loss prevention at the one I'm at, plainclothes following you around. It's a little distracting.

it's for super poor areas only.

No it's not. It's regional.

Based Harris Teeter err day

>north carolina is an open carry state
>HT allows open carry in their stores
>Some moms against guns group threatens them with a boycott and makes a huge deal
>HT tells them to fuck off

Do you shop at a store that has your back ideologically?

yes, regional to super poor areas. You do not find it anywhere nicer. I'm from the fucking carolinas, dolt, I would know better than some euro looking it up on wikipedia

The fact that anyone even had an issue with open carry at a grocery store is a sign that North Carolina is fully yankeefied.

I grow my own veggies, fruits and own hens so I don't really need to go there.

The fact that a NC company told them to fuck off is a sign it's not

>Carolinas

You're a fucking hillbilly piece of shit who knows nothing.

Piggly Wiggly invented the concept of the modern grocery store and was first to do basically everything. The people who owned the business had their heads up their asses or else every other grocery store in America today would be a Pig.

As someone whos parents sometimes shopped there growing up, it evokes memories of niggers, bad smells, and niggers.

I'm a genius IQ with fully white heritage, a hard science degree, and a lifetime of pursuing knowledge, feel free to come at me suburb dweller.

>Fry's
Pros: I work there so I get 10% off kroger brand products, it has a gas station attached and with the card I usually get like 20 cents off gas prices.
Cons: I work there. It's busy as fuck because it's the largest store in the city and people drive from hours away (reservation) to shop there.

>Sprouts
Pros: Best produce selection, it's a 5 minute walk from where I live
Cons: like whole foods it's full of shitheads and buying more than 5 items makes your bill $80+

>Basha's
Pros: cheap meat and a larger beer selection than the other grocers
Cons: it's fucking depressing in there, terrible service, loyalty card is totally worthless since the cashiers will scan one for you whether you have your own or not.

We just got our first Aldi a couple months ago, last year we got a mega Kroger. Has a fucking bar and is the size of a Costco
Before that we got most of our groceries from Walmart, usually food lion for produce
Also, a Lidl just opened yesterday down the road from aldi, haven't been in yet. Kraut grocery stores are pushing out everything, plus publix is coming up from Florida. Already bought out Ukrops

>United/Market Street
Compared to Walmart, things can be pricier but produce & meat tend to be higher quality. Pretty good breakfast burritos at their deli.
A lot of their stores are cramped. Their "exceptional service" philosophy can feel overbearing. Checkout tends to be slow.
>Walmart
Great for anything that isn't extremely reliant on freshness. Also great at making you want to get out of there as soon as possible.
>Walgreens
Worth mentioning because their app actually does deliver some decent deals from time to time.

>what is the NC research triangle
>what is Asheville

Nazi here
Lidl is viewed as being ever so slightly more upper class than Aldi.

Lidl has better baked bread by fucking far tho.

Aldi offers very cheap internet packets for your phone

both have this weird section filled with random ass electronics and camping materials

Hard to choose the better one

We've got one that we used to go to every time they sent out a -15% sales flyer to pick up bulk stuff like cereal, pasta/potato stuff, poptarts, olive oil and seasonings, but in the last year or so their selection has gone to utter shit and they've been jacking up prices to the point where it's not even worth going.

>
>>Carolinas
>You're a fucking hillbilly piece of shit who knows nothing.
I guess you've never heard the term "Research Triangle" in your little life, then.

>If I could complain about Aldi at all, I would say their selection isn't too great in some areas. You're limited to just Aldi's brand for most items and they may only have one size of that particular item.
Yea, I think their whole point is the selection is small. I can't do my whole grocery shopping there. I treat it as like a convenience store for 1 meal, or to pick up some hostess gifts, snacks, or party food.
I like their:
round boule of "tuscan" bread
chocolate chip brioche (amazing french toast bread)
trail mix creations
chocolate bars
cheese, salami, crackers
canned pretzel dough near the biscuit doughWhere do you go grocery shopping and what are the pros/cons?
Publix
Pros:
yes sir/yes ma'am employees who like their jobs for being taken care of
bag packing and trunk loading and someone else walks the cart back
always diagonal parking spaces, never too close for any size car, never can people ding doors or roll carts into spaces
best subs/best bread for subs/best meat for subs/best fried chicken and mojo pork
produce is always 100% perfect, and 100% of the time perfect, and the selection is diverse
meat never sucks in anything but prices
Cons:
I don't think there are any. People claim expensive, but it's competitive for sales.

I also shop at BJ's Warehouse, Winn-Dixie, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, but rarely. BJ's membership is great for paper goods and keeping up with big holiday gift giving, and party quantities.

>random ass electronics and camping materials
I always figured was some sort of overstock, or maybe trying to capitalize on the whole summer picnic thing with cheap hibachi grills and tents.

Aldi's got great wine.

I go to Aldi for the chocolate and Lidl for the rest.

HT has the absolute best produce section and their store brands are so cheap. I miss being in VA, Kroger is good but I pay quite a bit more than I did at HT. Still better than Aldi, though, at least I buy produce and meat there. Aldi is only cheap for packaged crap food and spices, their produce is garbage

Aldi and Lidl are owned by the same family. It's a pair of brothers who compete with each other to see who can do better. Basically, Aldi's focus is on the lowest price, while Lidl tries to provide a bit larger of a selection of products.

>Where do you go grocery shopping and what are the pros/cons?
Wegman's.

>pros
Great selection, lunch buffet for workers on the go, in-house restaurant that my gf loves, and a live jazz bad sometimes.

>cons
Kind of pricey, far from the house.

Winco is fucking amazing - makes going to any other store pointless due to the prices.

a fucking joke

Im German and Aldi and Lidl are pretty gud. Also WEZ. But sometimes I really envy your superstores, for lack of a better term.
youtube.com/watch?v=qkxAEBzLL3o

>seen thousands of Wegman's trailers
>never seen a Wegman's store
2spooki

Are you in VA?
That describes my area to a T.

Mostly Aldi and Woolworths, sometimes i shop at my local supermarket either for conveince (it's a 3 minute walk to the store ) or speciality items like chinoto.
Aldi's also great for specialty items too but The quality and quantity of brands are questionable.
Woolies is able to fill that gap albeit at higher prices.

>Aldi and Lidl are owned by the same family.

Nope, guess you're confusing that with Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd (North/South) which are two independent companies run by the two brothers. They were forced to split by the Kartellamt, similar to the US Trade Commision, sometime in 1970 I think. Trader Joe is owned by Aldi Nord, whereas Aldi USA is run by Aldi Süd. Lidl is entirely out of this.

What is Whole Foods like?

I'm too poor to buy organic or from a farmer, but I also don't want to buy the shitty meat from stores like Aldi.

mid west Ship n save, you get 10% full order/ 15 bucks off if you use their cupon shit

I go to dierbergs for higher price stuff

Whole Foods isn't that expensive if you don't buy organic or fancy stuff and stick to the store brand, bulk bins, butcher and fish counter.

The commissary
I think it's cheaper than most places and it's not garbo quality either

Masters of their craft.

>he doesn't live in a commune, subsisting only on organic arugula fertilized with the corpses of arch-capitalists

I shop at ALDI. My family always brought me to Walmart and other local grocery stores like Town & Country. My friend introduced me to ALDI earlier this year and I can't get enough of it.

It's slightly cheaper, the quality of most stuff is equal to namebrand stuff, and it's noticably cheaper. Also, since you bag your own stuff, lines aren't long either. Best of all, none of the ALDI around me have motorized scooters, which is awesome because you have to constantly walk around fat fucks.

Poorfag, also shopped at Aldi as a kid. Don't recall anything bad about the food. But I do remember bags cost money, and you had to put in a quarter to get a cart. However, you got your quarter back when you returned the cart. Good times.

As an adult, I usually shop at Giant of Weis. Giant out of location convenience after work, but I always go to Weis for produce.

are you the same dubuquer who posted in the water thread and the picture of a tenderloin? i feel like i'm following you around

The products will likely be different here in the usa. Americans like sliced square loaf bread, so the bread selection will likely not be anything like german selection.

I lived on the South Side of Chicago, and now I'm up north again. There's Aldi less than a couple blocks from me now, and my mom's place out south. Two totally different stores.

So much German import stuff and cheap, lean meat at mine. Basic bitch stuff and the meat costs more out south. It's all about location.

Poor neighborhoods get less quality stuff, or it's more expensive. The difference between North and South side stores is staggering.

I'm surprised a cheap grocery delivery service hasn't come about on the south side. Everyone is so scared to leave their house.

Woodman's. It's an employee owned company. The prices are cheap and the selection is great. It's all around a great grocery store.

I liked Aldis though when I was living by myself in a college town. The small layout and prices are very convenient for a college student.

>Aldi poor and trashy
Get on my level.

This reminded me that I haven't visited my grandma in a while :(

Sup, Wisconsin guy

Hy-Vees in my area are really fancy. Is that not the case everywhere?

>their selection isn't too great in some areas. You're limited to just Aldi's brand for most items and they may only have one size of that particular item.

That is the reason they can keep their prices so low, retard

WTF where do you live? In Alaska? In the Australian Outback?

because the delivery guy would be robbed and killed, of course.

Hy-vee moved upmarket years ago, but some ancient stores still exist and they're hick as fuck.

TJ's
The produce is mediocre but never literally bad
Everything else is great

Seeing that picture is just bizarre to me. I took my mom to their Mother's Day brunch buffet and the food was on par with the buffets at my local country club. That Hy-Vee looks like a slightly trashier Dollar General.

Called it.

I think they're called Lion in the US.

yes, Food Lion

I have a simmilar stop. I live in a smaller town so my selection is Kroger, Walmart, Brookshire brothers, or La Michocana which is a straight up mexican trash hole... but goddamn do they have great pan dulce and a good selection of cheap meats.
I go to Kroger any time I can because with my Kroger card I get good deals on the meat and produce, and honestly its better quality and freshness than Walmarts (although walmart has the better bakery)
Brookshires is overpriced and only good for a few niche things

Uuuug I wish I had one of these near me. My little town has been trying to get one of these build for like 5 years and Ill have moved on before that happens.

Appearently, thier Gin is supposed to be incredibly good, one of the best in the world. There alcohol in general appearently is award winning, they won over 150 awards for thier alcohol this year alone.

independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/aldi-gin-best-world-spirit-10-cost-cheap-international-wine-spirits-competitions-awards-a7864211.html

*their

Loved when I worked there. They're almost the only grocery chain in the states to let the clerks sit down while working, and the chairs are pretty comfy.

They know what their customers want.

Ingles, because I want a store as old and broken down as I am.

god tier