I pretty much grew up on Calvin and Hobbes. Anyone else read the books? What are your thoughts?

I pretty much grew up on Calvin and Hobbes. Anyone else read the books? What are your thoughts?

comics are for little children

Probably my favorite newspaper comic strip

I think only midwesterners like this bullshit.

Garfield is basically the same thing

i absolutely loved calvin and hobbes, and read most if not all of them, i own an autographed copy of There's Treasure Everywhere, and in some ways idolize Watterson's reclusion. I like to think that I was taught quite a lot about language and ideas through this comic, as well as the far side. Instead of exposure to videogames, and tv, I would read Calvin and Hobbes as a youth. i think i'm better for it.

As a Califag I can promise you're wrong as fuck

>implying New Englanders don't swallow it up
To this day every book fair has a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes compilation books

Mexican here. I love C&H and I treasure the memories it brings reading them as a child and they still hold up as a great work

6/10 for making me reply but regardless of bait it's such a retarded statement.

I think the midwest is more into stuff like Cathy and Family Circus

Wrong.
t. Indian

the best comic strip out there.

What a bunch of cucktrarians you are.

i'm french and i like it

this

it's the only newspaper strip worth owning books of, especially if you found all of them at a garage sale for cheap like me

Watterson rewrote the book on how to create a comic. None of his material is dated or cliche. The dynamic between Calvin and Hobbes is original to the point that they can argue but then realize the folly of their own posturing in a manner that doesn't feel preachy. One of the best strips was where Calvin finds a raccoon in the road that's been hit by a car and runs home to tell his mother. The arc of this encounter that lasts 3-4 strips shows a young boy being forced to make decisions and opinions about god and mortality that will follow him for the rest of his life but delivers the material in such a manner that you don't fwel the authors presence on it. I personally love Bill Watterson because when it came time to sign the papers for syndication with the big wigs for big big money he took the high road and said no thanks because he felt doing so would compromise the integrity of his work by having it whored out to gross merchandising. To this day he rarely does interviews and he only allows for the occasional calendar to be made with his intellectual property on it. 10/10 would read again.

C&H is patrician as fuck.

I unironically believe that Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest work of literature to be produced in the past three decades. That is, if you can call is literature. Comic strips are first and foremost a visual medium and only literary secondarily. I'm sure nostalgia goes a long way in predisposing that thought, but screw it.

Technically, this thread should be anyway. We have C&H threads somewhat frequently there, and it is almost universally liked.

well, i unironically named my son calvin after this character, so that should give some indication about how i fell about it.

Bay Area kid here: 3 of my grandparents were English teachers, and we all loved this comic.

Aw, my son was such a little Calvin when he was 6.