If you're stationary at a high altitude on a hill or tower, or on a high energy trajectory in an airplane...

If you're stationary at a high altitude on a hill or tower, or on a high energy trajectory in an airplane, does that increase or decrease your reaction time via general relativity? What about perceptual acuity, attentional bandwidth, or working memory capacity?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHYUt9hGQc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Since my familiarity with the Air Force is essentially just the acronym "OODA" itself and not even what it actually signifies, I have no idea what the answer to this might be

You could test this by putting some guys in one of those NASA space simulators and give them various degrees and directions of thrust while they try to do paperwork

Or make them do a simultaneous head to head political compass consistency test tournament

See if you can flip someone completely over backwards out of their chair with the power of your dynamic, energetic space rhetoric

It would be exactly like almost any episode of Gundam

>via general relativity

yes, it would change it technically if thats what you where hoping for, their reaction time would be on average a couple nano-seconds slower (from the reference of something outside of the plane) simply because of time dilation.

keep in mind, the difference is so small for non relativistic speeds that the only time it is ever taken into account is in hyper accurate geo stationary satellites that cant afford to have their clocks drift a couple microseconds every day, and these sattelites are moving many times faster than the plane

practical use = 0

Yes this is what I'm looking for. Why would practical use be 0? Think of the amount of relative acceleration involved in jet fighter trajectories

If you want to go full retard with it, even swinging around lightsabers there is huge relative acceleration if your wrist and lightsaber are somehow connected to your brain, which they are

You think it be ha ha comrade, but it is not. Although there is no scientific reason this would be true, there's even no scientific reason for it to be false even with ordinary swords without any force mumbo jumbo. That would certainly drain all the magic out of it though. Or maybe put it back in, depending on your perspective. Maybe midichlorians are relativistic.

Think about it, how do the neurons in your brain work? Some kind of pattern recognition and memory formation that we don't understand. How do you learn to swordfight or fly a plane? Lots of repetitive drills that train the neurons in your brain, spinal cord, and wrists. Magic?

Don't worry though, even after all this time, I STILL think body switching is some kind of voodoo BS

It's probably more like, in that moment where you're really just ready to just kill the son of a bitch, so much you're even ready to die too, you might as well switch bodies or whatever but it won't make any difference

Son of a bitch is meant to be gender neutral here, it's also possible to be the daughter of a bitch

This is meant as a fan theory about Star Wars by the way, I have never been in a situation myself where I ever wanted anyone dead that much or anyone wanted me dead that much, at least not in person

>relativistic
>jet

if you can make a jet that goes even 1% the speed of light i will suck your cock.

>ITT

I didn't say anything about the speed of light. I said relative acceleration, not relative velocity. I don't know enough general relativity to know whether my idea makes sense, but I'm not that dumb

what ive been trying to say is that your idea has no practical application at all.

jets, ans any other vehicle we have ever made doesnt go fast enough to make a difference above a couple MICRO seconds in DAY
i repeat

a couple MILLIONTHs of a second in DAY thats hoe much slower, slower, you would appear to someone outside of the craft.

in your perceptive of being inside the craft, everything else is faster by a couple micro seconds a day, and your reaction time or acuity or any other pseudo science bullshit (seriously how did you think this would change things like attentional bandwith or memmory capacity)
would be completely the same as always to you, because these changes are only ever observed to be happening to other things in reference to a point of observation.

pic is you

What about momentary differences in RELATIVE reaction time, as in microseconds per second?

If it really is microseconds per day normally I can see how this would never make a difference between two reasonably stationary points or a jet and a stationary point, but how about two jets in a dogfight?

For example, what is the GR trajectory of a physical eye saccade and the corresponding visual (photons) field of view?

Or actually now that I'm thinking of eye saccades, how about two mostly stationary snipers on hills looking at each other from several kilometers apart?

Actually a sniper probably doesn't even saccade, not that I would know. What's the GR trajectory between a mild startle reflex and an itchy trigger finger?

Keep in mind that even in this stationary case, if one of the snipers is physically higher up, the light has to go uphill in the Earth's gravitational field to reach him, so that's already a slight relativistic deviation in terms of microsecond level human reaction time

it makes no difference you fucking dunce, two jets flying directly toward each other vs one jet approaching a stationary object just means the effect is doubled, so it'd be a difference of 2 picoseconds instead of one

Don't worry though, I can almost guarantee that a computer cannot do enough real time 4D GR calculations to run a dogfight on its own, so you still need kid Anakin to actually fly the spaceship and go pew pew pew

Do you know anything about relativity at all? What about the shape of the entire 4D manifold of the jets own masses and accelerations over the duration of the entire engagement?

Assuming you're almost in a vacuum so that you can ignore air drag and whatever else it is that makes the forces involved non conservative or whatever that's called

A pod race is actually ideal for this, since the entire 4D engagement is mostly just masses colliding with each other occasionally while tracing out a rough circle in 3D space or a rough spiral cylinder in 4D spacetime

You can even extend this to model engagements and reaction time in most FPSes, since they are typically mostly frictionless. I got my inhuman reaction time by playing half life 1 and 2 on the hardest difficulties over and over again while aggressively save scumming, a long with a little Counterstrike in my youth

I was never able to get into Call of Duty because it's meant to be played with an analog controller and I can't stand the floaty feel compared to the deadly precision of an optical mouse

Much to my chagrin, I later learned that if you actually want to git good at half life or Counterstrike you're supposed to set the sensitivity low, not high, so you don't twitch all over the screen with 720 degree turns at the slightest startle

Actually besides half life, I was also obsessed with Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2), but in that one not only did I save scum my way through, I even had to read a walkthrough to even navigate the levels. And I couldn't win any of the lightsaber boss fights. So sue me, I was in high school

I played most of the sequels too, but they never quite recaptured the charm of the original (except the Sith expansion pack, which was great), mainly I think because I thought the charm of the original was how ludicrously hard it was

I just loved the feeling of being completely lost and surrounded by storm troopers and dark Jedi. You just don't get lost in pure non RPG single player FPSes anymore

This is also what I liked about Morrowind so much - you can theoretically play it, which I in fact did, without cheating by using any quest waypoints or artificial maps. Oblivion and later simply aren't designed to be played this way without heavy modding

I have the opening music of Morrowind permanently stuck in my head because it really promised you the experience of getting totally lost in a magical open world, and the game really delivered. But once I'd beat it once and noticed how broken the economy was, I got this hollow feeling that I was playing dress up with virtual dolls by myself and was never able to recapture quite the same feeling. A true multiplayer Morrowind would be amazing, but that would take a game design master class

Maybe in a truly advanced Star Wars game, characters could program software components for the storm troopers' communication and command and control systems using a similar skill tree to droid building/hacking

If you're with the rebellion, you'd first have to sneak all the way in to the station and steal the plans like Obi Wan

I should point out for the record that making a long series of increasingly lewd and threatening posts on Veeky Forums over several years doesn't make me a Star Wars character. At best, I might have been one of the tech support staff on the original Death Star when it blew up

Maybe I met Darth Vader in the death star's final moments, and he either did or did not order me to evacuate in a small ship, or possibly both

How could Darth Vader have accomplished this? Easy - he could have given standby orders for his entire clone army to evacuate under certain conditions, then when he summoned his SS troopers to cover him in their ships, the command went down the standard communication lines

If you really squint, maybe the entire explosion of the Death Star wasn't quite what it looked like on screen

>the Canadian Liberal party in the conservativism part of the compass

In fact, if you REALLY squint relativistically, maybe the Death Star itself wasn't nearly as physically large as it looked, and it was just spinning very fast in a complex 4D pattern

That makes what exactly it was those x wings and tie fighters were physically seeing through their glass windshields during the entire fight a scientifically interesting question. And what about when the Millenium Falcon was pulled in by a "tractor beam"?

This is a good visualization, though it would be more like a Kerr black hole, and there couldn't have been any actual real physical black holes involved in this of course

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHYUt9hGQc

The two rings that form on the surface of the black hole are computer visualizations of GR field lines. They are the two opposite ends of the Death Star along the axis of your attack physically wrapping around you, as if spacetime itself is going inside out

Or, if you look at it another way, it's as if the Death Star is physically shrinking in size as you approach it, because you are actually physically inside the station but still think you're outside, because due to special relativity you can no longer physically see the tunnel walls above or behind you

If you include the trajectories of the Death Star, whichever planet that was, and the Rebel base, it gets really wild. What if at the start of the battle, the rebel base and the planet itself were all already INSIDE the Death Star?

As in, maybe anything that's "in range" of the Death Star's laser is already physically inside the Death Star itself, because the Death Star includes some far floating gravitational reflector modules or something

Then you wouldn't even have to have any faster than light travel in the Star Wars universe at all, not even in hyperspace. It would just be Death Stars (and regular stars) and Star Destroyers all the way down

There's even no need for any quantum mechanics, since it's all just a movie / D&D campaign anyway, and you have all the dice rolls you'd ever need

The only tricky thing about this is that the Star Wars universe has a lot of facts about "mass", "size", "energy/power", luminosity, angular momentum, etc and in this interpretation these concepts are all slightly ill defined even on a purely physical level

But since this is all fiction anyway AND everything is ill defined, you might as well just use the numbers you already have and just fudge it

This is a little weird, but even "number of soldiers" is a little ill defined if they start out together but then split up into relativistically disconnected regions of spacetime and then meet up again later in various locations, especially if you also have cloning machines and Jedi/Sith brainwashing to contend with

> how many enemy soldiers?
> I don't know yet! Stop asking!

> but I just KNOW we've got like 20% more than them, I don't know how, it's just a feeling

> but how many of our allies or enemies are Sith? I can't detect the Sith!

(This is OP on my phone)

Actually now I kind of regret calling the Jedi scum all those times. Oh well, what's done is done

For the latest movies, I would say to the rebellion, why are you trying to use the Emperor's own strategy and tactics against him and actually expecting to win? You need a whole new fresh idea to beat this guy

Personally, when I sided with Emperor Palpatine against Luke I was mainly just hoping he would protect me from Luke, I wasn't actually expecting to win at anything

Like, you've got to admit that Luke has a really scary look in his eyes during the entire last part of Return of the Jedi. You can't see Darth Vader's eyes, but the mask almost makes him look cute

When you consider that he might somehow be able to pull you into that blue holo Jedi afterlife with him, things really get scary

In this situation, my strategy would be to ask him to at least give me some basic lightsaber training before he starts in on hitting me with his fists

I think the real moral of Star Wars is that this generation of NEET gamers is so coddled that we could all be physically manhandled by our 70 year old grandfathers

My worst nightmare is one day encountering a lookalike of one of the Star Wars actors doing a cosplay and giving me a threatening look. Those guys (and girls) are buff

Since this is supposed to be all tumblr intersectional, anyone who talks shit about any of the characters in the current trilogy should have to physically encounter a character with the intersection he or she talked shit about

In this case my primary arch nemesis is obviously Kylo Ren himself, but fortunately with him I can always just appeal to Emperor Palpatine for protection

My secondary arch nemeses are obviously the white girl and the black guy, but they'll have to go through Kylo Ren first to get to me

So is Han Solo really dead! Yes, absolutely, dead as a doornail, probably in blue Skywalker heaven, having snuck his way in through Leia

How, then, is it possible that Harrison Ford is alive but Carrie Fisher is dead? Either the mysteries of the force, or that old coke habit, not sure which

The reason this joke is funny is because, although the force isn't real, heaven probably is, just empirically based on my own experience

To get subtle about this, what if the "Obi Wan" who helped you steal the plans wasn't the real Obi Wan but was only Old Ben, and either intentionally or unintentionally stole a slightly incorrect set of plans?

The only way for it to be intentional and for Old Ben to actually be on the dark side, would be for there to already be clones of Luke already on the Death Star, which I think is implausible

You can imagine an AU where everything is exactly the same, down to the acting, but Old Ben is 100% dark side and is just THAT good an actor. This would be a bizarro universe like the Superman Red Son comics

Anyone who has seen the dark side working around them and in their own mind knows exactly what I'm talking about here. Some are too young to understand

Did I give anyone another dramatic alpaca just now?

What is Old Ben's motivation in this scenario? He's just another Sith piece of shit, taking orders from his clone master, and he's found another potential clone of Skywalker's son, and he might as well get this over with...

Worse, he's so far down in the Sith's horrible hierarchy, he doesn't even know why "bbbut the Sith have gone extinct!" isn't going to get him anywhere as an excuse

Actually my real arch nemesis is a fat black woman from the South on the internet, but I haven't quite figured out how to work that into the mythos

in none of these situations would the speed / speed differences be close enough to even be detectable.

light moves so fast it could go around the globe 7 times a second. light lag isnt something we have ever taken into account outside of really far away sattelites and other space missions

What's detectable? How many nanoseconds does it take for the human nervous system to detect something?

Here's my previous thread btw

Aren't a lot of visual circuits for example only some small single digit number of neurons deep? And it can only take a small change in the electrical input to change the output of the first neuron in the circuit, completely altering the resulting sequence of neural spikes. Even if by that point things are no longer relativistic, a relativistic effect could have determined which particular sequence of neural firings you get

Maybe the electrical circuit that controls eye saccades is quantum even if most aren't, and that's why the motor output is so jumpy?

Let me venture into outright crank territory for a moment - can you model neural circuits or memories as regions of space that are wired together in a relativistic circuit, and regions of space that are wired together in a quantum circuit, but not both at once (since we don't know how)?

The boundary between these two regions where we don't have a model would be a circuit of roughly human brain size and topology, which is convenient

This episode is proof that you don't have to do well in school to succeed.

Yeah. I think if he ignored the relativity part, Naruto might have been able to bullshit his way through this one successfully just from practical experience