Coffee Time

I want to get into coffee.
I'm talking whole bean, home grinding coffee.
I like dark roasts (Starbucks Verona).

So what are some recommendations for:

1. Beans- country?
2. Grinder?
3. Prep- drip, press, moka?

Thanks!

Ease in to it.

Go to Starbucks, buy Verona whole bean, ask them to coarse grind it for press for you.

Take home. Use in press within the next 7 days, yea, you'll finish the bag.

Next try some of their special roasts, or go find some local sources of good beans. Again, if they can grind it for you, good. Meanwhile you have to realize that not having a great grinder means that you will have coffee with a lot of dust in it, or not uniform in size, and you'll have to oversteep or it's too watery and such.

tl;dr good grinders are a big investment

You don't "get into" coffee you pretentious hipster fuckwit

>Beans
Arabica, country doesn't matter as much but locally roasted beans will taste better
>Grinder
The cheapest one you can find with ceramic (or metal in a pinch) burrs. Stay away from blade grinders
>Prep
Up to you, though I wouldn't recommend drip. It's a matter of personal preference, some people prefer Reddit memes such as Aeropress over French press. Moka pots will give you something closer to espresso but it's not the same.
If you're interested in home espresso, note that it is a money pit. Decent machines start at $1000 new, and only start being good at around $2500. Less expensive machines are just steam toys

I get my beans from Whole Foods and they're pretty yummy. Locally roasted and cruelty-free too

Sure you can. Like anything there is the basic vs fancy stuff. After drinking pre-ground stuff I want to step up my game. See what I'm missing out without having to spend a fortune at a coffee shop. If it doesn't taste better for the time/money investment, then I won't continue to do it. So step off your high horse and kindly go fuck yourself buddy.

This is the info I was looking for. Anybody have some experience with a Baratza Encore?

>not buying a coffee grinder and grind it before use
50 percent of the aroma are lost within the first minutes after grinding. If you don't grind yourself yu can just as well just buy pre-grinded Aldi coffee.

>tl;dr good grinders are a big investment
Nope, a conventional coffee grinder with adjustable sizes are sold 20€ and up. Just buy a used one.

try it black and in the ass OP i'm sure u would like it.

>1. Beans- country?
Try them all, dumb dumb
>2. Grinder?
Depends on how much you want to spend, but you'll want something with burrs. Hario hand grinders are like $35 but take a few minutes. A Baratza Encore is the minimum for an automatic and start at $100 refurb
>3. Prep- drip, press, moka?
Start with a french press or a pourover cone

You'll also need a scale (AWS 2kg $20) and probably want an electric kettle

Get a load of this special ed motherfucker

If I just put some ground coffee in a minute and pour hot water on it, then wait a bit and drink it, what the fuck am I? Hipster? Faggot? Retard? Normie?

You're a roach

Gross

Understood. Thank you.
I was having trouble pinpointing it.

If you watch Amazon the Bodum Bistro burr grinder drops below $80 every once in a while. I got mine for $72usd.

Honestly if you're drinking dark roast your palate is going to miss the nuance of fine coffe. Most of the nuance is on the bright, floral side on the front end. If you enjoy the over-roasted pungent blast, fine, but you will waste a lot of money on nuance that you either can't taste or won't enjoy. You will just think it's "weak"

The best test: go to the nearest big city to you and head to the most pretentious espresso shop with the most hipster looking faggot barista. No, not Starbucks. Ask for whatever their $5 pour over from the middle americas (not africa). Guatemala, Mexico, Costa Rica... not Colombia so much. These are all typically very floral and somewhat rasiny or tamarind. It will be medium or lightly roasted and should be packed with floral and sweet flavors. Drink it black, of course.

If you think to yourself "eh, that's pretty good but kind of weak" then you know not to waste your $.

If you're like.. omg I want to go back in time and re-drink every cup of coffee I ever had black and poured over (I literally had that feeling) then by all means, welcome to the club

Go all out right away with an EK43

>Starbucks
I recommend you kill yourself

I live in a country where coffee means instant powder coffee, a week ago I bought my first ground coffee, and don't own a coffee machine or anything
Currently making very weak watery coffee the cowboy way (hot water in cup, let it sediment, then drink the liquid part)

Any way I can make it more enjoyable? Also how much coffee should I use

is the $500 meme dead yet?

I like the Kona coffee, good breakfast coffee, makes a good morning poop

you forgot to call him a numale

Thanks dude!

Wife likes the dark roast, which are okay, but I like the lighter stuff. She is getting more into coffee after the Keurig debacle so I'd thought I get her some premium shit.
Thanks for your input!

I am kill

Get yourself a French press and experiment.

>Wife likes the dark roast
I bet she does you cuck faggot

On topic:
>chew beans
>boil water
>drink boiling water
>don't be a fucking pussy bitch and cry

Done.

Just go to your local health food store and buy some organic locally roasted stuff. It's hard to go wrong with that. I personally use a french press with finely ground beans. I know it's supposed to be course blah blah, it makes really good coffee. I drink it black and it's not bitter at all.

Also Starbucks is literally mcdonalds level quality.

fucking kek man

Cold Brew

Don't need to fall for the expensive gear meme just a grinder and some jars.

>cruelty-free
Do the beans have feelings or the nigger children farming them?

Costa Rican Tarrazu is pretty lit senpai.

I came here just for that.

Must be sad that your hand can't love you back huh?

Can I get some feedback on my current system?

I currently have pic related and I grind my beans with an electric coffee grinder until it is as fine as possible.

also currently going through a bag of Sumatra Dark Roast my friend gave me

This is an espresso machine my boy
The numbers are shots of espresso, the thing on the right is a milk further
(I'm sure it also makes coffee alright though)

Yeah I know it's an espresso machine, but I was just asking if there was anything I could improve or something new I could try doing

I guess I could try making an americano, or "regular coffee"

Yeah, throw that piece of garbage out and get a real espresso machine and an actual grinder.

That thing doesn't make anything close to espresso even Mokas and ibriks are closer. Hell, even an aeropress is closer to espresso than that thing.

Link? Preferably something under 100 canadian pesos for the espresso machine, I am poor ;_;

No animals or humans were harmed in the roasting of the coffee beans. This includes unicellular animals such as yeast, so if there are yeasty beans they throw them out instead of killing them with heat

>Beans
Anywhere, I have had beans from all the main regions (asia, Africa, South and Central America) and some of the less common places, Vanautu and Australia were my last 2. Each bean is different and its a personal taste, for a dark roast I prefer African beans, Lighter roast I go for a Central American with mayne a blend of Asian.
> Grinder
A decent conical burr hand grinder will give you a good arm workout, dont cheap out. I have a Breville smart grinder, it does a good job.
> Brew methods
Go Aeropress if you want a strong sharp espresso type coffee, Drip filter is meh. Espresso machines are very expensive for a half decent one and even though ypu can get a decent coffee out of some of the cheaper ones it takes a lot of practice.

Just my 2 cents. My wife calls me a pretentious coffee faggot.

a $20 blade grinder will produce better results than preground even if you just pulverize into dust it for 25 minutes

i just pulse it, never let it get to full speed, and stop when the grind is on the coarser side

it's not perfect, but it beats preground