Quick Question

Did vegans exist during medieval times/Dark Ages? If so, how did they get by? Asking for a friend.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_vegetarianism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know how old you are, but in the dark ages you'd be an adult and you'd probably look like your grandparents at your age. You'd have 2 or 3 years left to live if you're lucky.

The vast majority of Europeans subsisted on bread in the middle ages, so...technically yes. Meat, dairy and sweets were occasional foods. Alcohol was important because water was putrid and would kill you, children drank wine/ale.

veganism is a reactionary movement of modern times, when we have the means to mistreat the environment in ways we couldnt before.
hence - pointless question

The life expectancy was so short because so many people died as babies and little kids.

Some people did live to older ages. Not everyone died by the time they were 35 or whatever you're thinking.

Believe it or not it's possible to survive on a diet that doesn't meet all of your nutritional needs. In fact I'd venture relatively few people ate well enough to be meeting their daily requirements regardless of whether they were vegan or not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_vegetarianism

>Did vegans exist during medieval times/Dark Ages?

Nope. It's a modern luxury made possible with advanced growing techniques like hydroponics, central heating, and artificial lighting. That as well as refrigerated long-distance transportation (ships, trucks, and aircraft).

A lot of vegans don't realize this since they're used to walking into a supermarket and buying fresh tomatoes in January, but they fail to realize how much technology was required to enable that.

Yes.
By attaching religious bullshit to it. Many Christian monks, priests and others followed a vegan diet and many enforced the same diet, at least part of the time, on their followers. They didn't get harrassed for it because the masses of the time believed in spookygodpowers more than they do now.
Basically, veganism then is just as it is now: a means to control people.

you ate what you had mate

maybe the hindus or budhists had such ideas

Except for the Nobles and Catholic Priests, most people very rarely ate meat. I'm sure a certain percentage of the poor had some milk which they made into cheese and probably eggs, but meat was a rare treat. It certainly wasn't by choice as it is today, but by the necessity of a brutal, grinding poverty.

buddhists monks were and are commonly vegan. I don't know enough about it to say if it was for ethical reasons or based on the poverty lifestyle

Actually, believe it or not, meat was probably only consumed once or twice a week depending on the "class" of the people and if they could afford it or not. Things like cabbage, lettuce, potatoes, bread, milk, and eggs were highly consumed throughout the ages.

>children drank wine/ale

Not regularly, goats milk was a highly consumed commodity throughout Europeans at least. I don't really know too much about other peoples those.

of course not
meat was considered a luxury and factory-farming was non-existent
the only people abstaining from meat by choice did so for religious reasons, as a kind of penance

No potatoes. Turnips.

Monks were supposed to be mostly vegetarians.
They were only allowed red meat when they got sick.
So eventually, the infirmary became the dining hall in the monasteries of Europe.

Also Sadus are vegans I guess but how much energy do you really need to sit around all day?

user, you knew when you posted this question that it was shit. Just look at the image you used. Do you ever stop and ask yourself "why do I go around shitting up boards with awful topics that I know will get replies"? Please consider that next time before you post, and remember, anime fucking sucks and is not welcome outside of designated containment zones

Thank you

*tips*

no but the majority did because we could cure alot of the diseases and living condition were harsher with more manual work and little to no safety regulations

I agree with you, however claiming "anime fucking sucks" makes you look really silly. There's dumb moeshit, and then there's timeless masterpieces.

This, there were plenty of famous people 2000-3000 years ago who lived to their 70's, 80's, and sometimes 90's.

What?
While not a believe myself, I was raised in and am still culturally part of a Christian church which, to this day, still has heavy adherence to vegan diet, many of whom doing it year round rather than only during the half of the year you're expected to. I still keep many-to-most of the dietary habits and attend services from time to time, though mostly as a social thing. I have nothing against religion. There's nothing fedorable about acknowledging that many rules religious groups set for themselves have no practical use beyond being to both
a) set themselves apart from other groups and
b) to exert some influence and control within their group.
Mormons do it with hot drinks. Jews do it with kashrut. Jains do it with mushrooms, eggs, onions and garlic. And old school Christians do it with veganism. And that's a-okay.

>And old school Christians do it with veganism
Citation please.

Nah bruv, I'm just a /k/omerade who happens to like qt boat grills a little too much, mebbe this is more to your liking? Also long time lurker, 1st time poster.

>complaining about animu on 4chin

*yawn*

Use that image in the OP instead of some weeb trash and I'd be inclined to agree with you

most certainly they did.
I'm thinking monks, and the upper classes, dabbled with dietary experiments.

>longtime lurker
>makes this bad of a thread
yeah keep lurkin friendo

Three of the oldest Christian sects still around today all stress vegan diets at least part of the time.
They are the Tewahedo, the Copts and the Byzantine Rite (collectively encompassing both Greek/Byzantine Catholicism and Greek Orthodox), listed in order of most to least restrictive diet. None of them are strictly vegan, to be clear, though many devotees maintain veganism simply because it's easier to do that than it is to keep track of what days dairy, eggs and/or meat are allowed.
IINM, these are the three very oldest sects still around, but if not, I'm certain they are, at least, among them.
Look up "fasting and absinence in the _____ church" with the blank filled in with one of those three for more information.

Damn near. People lived on grains and vegetables mainly but that was because of their circumstances.

Why are all /k/ posters pent up manlets who overcompensate their lack of masculinity with big guns?

>None of them are strictly vegan
That's what I figured. Thank you.

It makes no sense for such an old tradition to be strictly vegan. At that time people were struggling to survive. Nobody had the luxury of forgoing potential food. And things like dairy animals or chickens were ideal sources of cheap sustenance.

>Wake up sheeple!!

Well me and user over here wanted to know from 4chin's perspective and I thought this would be the perfect place, since this board has gone to shit long time ago.

As I said I lurk, not post. Also I live in rural Alaska, so guns are kind of a necessity.

You misunderstand. For the Tewahedo, for example, veganism is expected 227 days of the year. For Copts, 210. For Byzantine Rite, 186. Copts and Byzantines also have special dietary rules the Tewahedo lack, like "dry fasting" wherein in addition to abstaining from animal-derived food sources, even oil is forbidden on certain days. You're meant to eat bread and vegetable soup when a dry fast comes around.
On top of this, many members of the clergy of each of those sects traditionally held to veganism back then and still do today.
Keep in mind, the first vegetarian organisations, which back then were more akin to today's veganism, were founded by Christian groups.

No one who admits to being a churchgoer would use the term sheeple, user. Stop trying so hard.

I'm just having a bit of fun.

You can split hairs all you like. Point is that they were/are not strict vegans, 365.

>Many Christian monks, priests and others followed a vegan diet and many enforced the same diet, at least part of the time, on their followers.

a) the church enforced pescatarianism, not veganism
b) the church defined animals like ducks, beavers and capybaras to be "fish" for dietary purposes because it turns out nobody likes pescetarianism, nevermind veganism

You misunderstand.
Are they strictly vegan?
No.

Fuck off.

This.

And it happens in other religions as well. People are fond of talking about how buddhists are supposedly vegan, yet they also don't consider fish or shellfish to be "meat". And likewise, the prohibition for Buddhists is that they cannot take a life, not the food specifically. So Buddhists can and do eat meat--it was just slaughtered by someone else. Even those famous monks in Thailand, etc, who go around begging are allowed to eat meat so long as the animal was not killed specifically for them. People are likewise fond of talking about vegans in India, yet that's also a misunderstanding. Hindus have a prohibition against eating beef flesh, but dairy products are widely consumed and even used for religious rituals. The whole reason why the cow is a sacred animal in that religion is because it's a provider of nourishment to humans via dairy. And of course they will happily eat other non-cow animals.

And no one claimed they were.
The original post said
>at least part of the time
>pescetarianism
Not so. Look up the fasting rules of those churches.

>And no one claimed they were.

See:

Meat was eaten by all classes. Come winter time, fauna become the only reliable sources of calories.

How does that prove that someone claimed they were/are vegans 100% of the time, always and forever?

There's an awful lot of goalpost moving between "old school christians were vegan" and "they had a bunch of specific restrictions on eating animal products, but were still permitted to do it on certain days"

How exactly does stating old school Christians exerted control by enforcing veganism [at least part of the time] (as stated in the earlier post, had you followed the line of conversation) move a goalpost?