Which country has the best curry?

For me it's Thai curry, the best curry. Japanese curry is for plebs.

Agreed. Out of what I've had, Thai > Indian > Japanese.

>which country has the best shit?
good thread, gaylord

I've never understood Japanese curry and "curry rice" is just gross. Sweet Thai curry with veggies and meat served over rice is delicious though.

I think it's generally accepted that jap curry is pretty crap compared to other nations versions.

Panang curry, red curry and green curry - in that order. Thai curry is probably my favorite. Indian mutton curry does not fall far behind.

Explain curry
Serious question
Asking for a friend

They never give enough rice for all the curry they give you.

>Japanese curry is for plebs.
i agree. went to japan for a trip and had curry a few times. its sweet, and not too rich. its not bad, but the 2 indian restaurants i also went to in japan were hella great. my vote is indian.

Eh, you're not supposed to eat curry with rice? I always eat it together with rice, no matter which type of curry, whether Indian, Thai, or Japanese?

Google

Bangladesh, Indian, then Thai. Or maybe Bangladesh is more like Northern Indian. Idk because this is based on limited experience in the US.

Rendeng is the best curry

Thai and british indian curry is my favourite.
Authentic indian curry is garbage.

Curry Rice (カレーライス) refers to Japanese curry. Which is a a roux thickened meat and vegetable stew flavored with curry powder and served with white rice. It's really hard to even consider it a true curry.

>I've never understood

It's just beef stew with a slight curry flavor. What's not to understand?

I'm biased because I eat it all the time but Indonesian curries are good shit with rich savory, sweet, and spicy flavors. Gule is delicious, along with Rendang.

Nepal, Indian (north), Bangla, Sri Lanka, India (south), Thai. In that order.

Japanese curry rice barely qualifies a curry. I like it, but it's a very different thing.

Thick, spicy stew.

Hot meat and vegetables in a heavily spiced gravy made out of either tomatoes or a variety of chilis.

>Indian better than Thai

Japanese curry is only great for flounders instead of pork or beef.

An Asian stew often consisting of meat, vegetables, various spices, and coconut milk, usually served with rice. There's so many variations on curry it's honestly difficult to define

Pretty easy. I don't like coconut. Puts Thai at the bottom for me. Gimme pad thai or tom yum or satays erry time. At a Thai joint, I'm more interested in other shit, anyhow.

Honestly?

To "curry" used to mean taking questionable meat or fish and spicing the shit out if it, then stewing it in thickened emulsion often with vegetables. Dairy fats (ghee, clarified butter, yougurt, milk, cream) play a heavy role (coastal areas swap coconut milk for the same effect). The spice blend and fat component vary by region, so it's got a lot of variety.

Ah, okay. That's understandable.

What's everyone's thoughts on Korean curry?

Disgusting just like all Korean food.

thailand

I first had curry in Japan when I was in the 4th grade and loved it.

Had Indian curry with some coworkers a few years ago and they all eat it with their hands and it wasn't as good.

I do Japanese curry in the pressure cooker or crock pot.

Thai > British Indian > Malaysian > Japanese >>>>>>>>> Real Indian

there are thai curries without the coconut. coconut milk is a meme made by the same hipster pieces of shit that always
>muh authentic

fuck you these regions have countless different version of their food and there is not 1 right version you retards

t. guy with thai gf who makes the curry without coconut

Jamaican

I've always wanted to try Jamaican. How does it differ from others?

I've never actually had many other types of curry, but compared to Japanese it's a lot grittier, thicker and spicier. I think the general interpretation of how it should be varies from person to person because each of my family members makes it differently.

Japanese curry isn't really like other curries, it is definitely good but usually tastes completely different from others

a lot of thai curries don't even use coconut milk bro

but i admit tom yum is some awesome shit

>chilled applesauce or sushi

with curry at once
dear god ffs

>baby carrots

I don't really count Japanese curry as curry. It's more of a stew considering how mild it is.

the uk

Suriname

Paki curry is trash.

how does Vietnamese curry never get mentioned? it's similar to Thai but with a lot of complexity in addition to the sweetness from the coconut

penang, rendang, thai peanut...amok from Cambodia, and all the delicious south indian curries you can get at lunch places on a thali...

damn man now i want some curry

yes, Mughal cuisine is so terrible
>i'm a trash person with an uninformed opinion

Because all rook same. But it's most likely because Vietnamese cuisine is mostly sold as Bah Mi and Pho. Most people would probably think that their curry is the same as Thai curry.

Eating this makes my whole body stink

Like my anus can be white-glove clean and everyone will still get hysterical and ask why I smell like shit

Filipino > Thai > Japanese >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> can't eat > Indian
I like less spiced up and sweeter curries, so the list is like this. When I ate an India curry, it tasted like I ate perfume.

Japanese curry is like a British version of curry, only a bit milder. I don't see why people think it's for plebs.

Some curries aren't that bad. It all depends on how much spice is put in them.

You must be a FLIP because no one else would say any of the food from the Philippines is good.

How DARE you insult the most powerful race in the world?

That's cause it's british influenced

There's a Filipino neighborhood like a highway away and they have shared markets with other Asians like Thais and Viets. I don't see what's wrong with their food. It's like shitting on Hawaiian and Korean food for using spam in their recipes.

Philipino food is like a variation of other Indochinese food. Saying their food sucks is like saying Indochinese food sucks. Or is this an Indochinese nationalist rivalry thing we have here?

England.
>Vindaloo created in England.
>Vindaloo my favourite curry.
>Vindaloo good.

>Anthony Bourdain's a Filipino
I should've known when he said he enjoyed that supersweet Filipino spaghetti in his CNN show.

Bourdain also enjoys that Chongqing Hot Pot from Szechuan. He has a really experienced tongue for all kinds of cuisine.

As a Vietfag I have to say Vietnamese curry is the fucking worst. It's literally soup with a shit ton of chicken bones.

>tfw I had curry and rice at a white ex's house for dinner
>mfw her mom put in some canned fruit into the curry

Flipfag here.Filipino "curry" is fucking shit. I've had other curries from Singapore/Malaysia, Indian, Vietnam, Japan and I can pretty much say that Filipino curry is downright an insult to the term curry. I still like Sinigang and our other shit tho.

I've tried many Filipino dishes. I live in a city with a huge Asian population. First sign that their food is not even remotely as good as the other food in the region is the general lack of Filipino restaurants. Notice how there are a ton of east Asian restaurants everywhere but there might only be 1 or 2 of their restaurants per city? Yeah, their excuse is "because our food is home-made". Well that simply is not true, the region of the world and climate just don't account for that. Homemade foods are predominantly from the colder climates where a dish would have to be cooked a long time, roasts or stews(we're not counting curry here because most can be made quite quickly as where real stews cook for hours sometimes) etc. In fact, they're most famous when it comes to lechon and sisig, both very very much so not homemade dishes.

Ok so lets give them the benefit, I have eaten home made Filipino food. Adobo is pretty mediocre, and yes, I have tried different variations as apparently the dish can have a million recipes. I mean look, it's not bad food, but we're comparing it with other SEA cuisines here and the supposed best national dish wouldn't even be top-10 in any of the other cuisines in the region. I did enjoy a couple of these noodle dishes but when I asked if they were really Chinese my friends family would just laugh and say it was kinda stolen from them. Most of the other food they make at home are things like lasagna or potato salads which are obviously good but obviously not Filipino.

My issue is that a country in the region of the world which many people consider to have the best cuisines in the world has a vastly mediocre one.

Bourdain says he likes a lot of things on his show. He's very respectful as often food is an integral part of a country's culture.

How is Filipino curry shit, may I ask? I had Filipino chicken curry before and it is quite comparable to Thai phanaeng curry in my honest opinion.

Not sure where you're getting that statistic from. During my trip to San Diego, there were a lot of Filipino restaurants in the county. That said, I think most of the meals they serve that are soup-based were too watery and quite different from the ones I've eaten in Filipino street eateries back during Asia trips.

But it is true that homemade food is different. The consistency of restaurant sinigang is very different from family to family, and the same goes for adobo. Some adobo are dry, some are like stews. Some have eggs, some have string beans.

>recipes kinda stolen from them
I never understood this logic. Curry itself was "stolen" from the Indian subcontinent. Every peoples and culture have a different take on very many kinds of food.
That's how you get so many different sausages in Europe, different dumplings in Asia/Siberia, and noodle dishes throughout Indochina.
Hawaiian cuisine is "stolen" from all the countries that surround it.

>obviously not Filipino
There is only one place in the world that serves supersweet fastfood spaghetti.
The same way I think Japanese spaghetti is its own recipe and quite Japanese and the same for Italian spaghetti as well.

What you call curry I call A FUCKING STEW m8

How different is that from Indian curry?

>Vindaloo
>England
Vindaloo (also known as vindalho) is an Indian curry dish popular in the region of Goa, the surrounding Konkan, and many other parts of India.[1] The cuisine also includes a variation of the dish.

>A "vindaloo", a standard element of Indian cuisine derived from the Portuguese carne de vinha d'alhos (literally "meat in garlic wine marinade"), is a dish of meat (usually pork) marinated in wine and garlic.[2] The basic structure of the Portuguese dish was the Portuguese sailor's "preserved" raw ingredients, packed in wooden barrels of alternate layers of pork and garlic, and soaked in wine. This was "Indianized" by the local Goan cooks with the substitution of palm vinegar for the red wine, and the addition of dried red chili peppers with additional spices. It evolved into the localized and easy-to-pronounce dish "vindaloo".[4] Nowadays, the Anglo-Indian version of vindaloo calls for the meat to be marinated in vinegar, sugar, fresh ginger and spices overnight, then cooked with the addition of more spices.

So it's portugese that became indian that became english

So, it's not a British curry?

These Portuguese are amazing. One of my favorite Japanese foods had its origins from 1600s Portuguese sailor cooking, tuna belly nanbanzuke.

The Portuguese introduced a lot of things to Japan: Guns, Firearms, Christianity, Tempura, etc

It's British in the sense of it being Imperial British.

what about kimchi though? kimchi is pretty tasty

also korean bbq is the best thing ever, but i suppose that doesnt involve much culinary work, its just meat

>yfw japan would suck without the portuguese

Thai green curry is my favorite.

Indian > Thai > Jamaican > Dog Shit > Japanese

Thai curry is great but its kind of a one trick pony in that all the good curries are coconut based while Indian curries are based on pretty much anything.

Philipino food is fucking awful, there is a reason their restaurants dont do well outside of flip areas.

>japanese 'curry'

Indian >Thai
I like what I've had of Sri Lankan
Haven't had Jap curry, didn't even know it was a thing

Literally just beef stew over rice goddamn

don't forget the hamburger pattie

>WAHH THAT ASIAN FOOD DOESNT CONSIST OF TENTACLES AND CARVED UP PINEAPPLE!!!
>HOW CAN I ENJOY BEEF STEW AND A PATTY???!?! WHERES MY AVOCADO
>HOW DARE COMMON PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES EAT SIMPLE FOOD??!?!

>Literally just beef stew over rice goddamn
This describes every beef curry though, surely?

The McChicken is a curry.

calm down senpai

pretty bad taste desu

Is gumbo a curry?

>does gumbo contain ingredients that have been curried?
Retard.

Is mayonnaise a curry?

Gumbo usually gains much of it's flavor from its dark roux based sauces and "cajun" spices and seasonings.

Thai curry is fantastic. Japanese curry is just sugar sauce for children.

>Thai curry uses sweetened coconut milk
>But Japanese curry is sugar sauce

???

>sweetened coconut milk
What kind of recipes have you been using?

Rendang*

and this is the correct answer, even though some places make it overwhelmingly strong

t. lived in 5 different asian countries

she makes it with her semen