What's Veeky Forums's opinion on YA?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on YA?

It's a nice stepping stone for new readers but should be ignored once you're able to read better things.

Better than nothing, right?

But l don't get why people over the age of 20 would read anything like it. I'm not saying they should be reading Joyce or Melville, but maybe they should consider transitioning to airport lit.

what is airport lit?

Michael Crichton
Ken Follet
Robert Ludlum

Those kind of guys.

Schlocky genre fiction. Think Dan Brown, Twilight, 50 Shades, some Stepen King.

People should know better thanks to read YA. Honestly, I don't understand the appeal. Is it because you are incapable of reading at above an eight grade level? That seems to be the only answer. There are a million better things to read, and honestly the barrier of entry to good literature isn't that high. There's honestly no excuse besides "I'm completely braindead/female."

Always hated them. I have read only classics since I was 12.

>According to a study by Renaissance Learning, your average college freshman reads at between a seventh and eighth grade level.

>Based on the summer reading books assigned by 341 American colleges, five of the seven top books had an average “readability formula” of 7.56 — meaning about “halfway through seventh grade.

It's because of the American """"""""education"""""""" system.

trash

YA is airport lit.

Ken Follet is pretty badass. Pillars of the Earth remains my favorite novel.

Yeah I actually like Follet and I liked Crichton a lot when I was younger. Ludlum was pretty meh though.

>tfw had collegiate reading level in 5th grade

didn't mean much in the end though, society doesn't reward literacy anymore, at any level.

should have gone into law, it's literally "reading tedious shit: the job"

I got an MPA and I kind of regret it.

My literacy is still ridiculously high though. I took the GREs to get in to a grad school and scored 99th percentile in critical reading. Only got 89th in writing and 67th in math because I'm a numerical brainlet.

It terrifies me that I was 67th percentile in math because I never took anything higher than high school level statistics and didn't do any practice problems, yet I scored in the top half of college graduates seeking postgraduate degrees.

/thread

The "I read YA because it's light" argument makes no sense to me. Japanese lit tends to be pretty light, for example, even though guys like Murakami are somewhat metaphorically dense, and you won't be able to fully appreciate Kawabata if you don't actively care about aesthetics.

And even then, Camus, Kafka, Dosto, and a shitload of popular writers are still pretty light.

fpbp

It's because they misinterpret their own motives. They don't read YA because it's light, they read it because it's familiar.

FWIW I do think the toxicity towards YA that most people here have is bad. The average normie doesn't read any books ever, and reading YA is better than nothing.

desu senpai, I dont, and cant believe enough people do to have these threads every day.

i got bored of YA books when i was in 4th grade.

by the time i was in 8th grade i had finished the greeks.

what the fuck do you think my opinion of it is?

goosebumps and hank the cowdog is pretty cool, motherfucker.

This. YA is comfy the same way tendies and having your mummy rub your back is comfy.

YA books are like Thrillers to me as in I like to read them from time to time because they're usually quick reads and can be fun but most of them are shit and I end up being annoyed by them quickly because they're often very formulaic and lack depth.

Why do Reddit users hate truth?

>YA
>goosebumps

2/10

>big words
>tfw i use to post on reddit a few years ago and everyone got buttmad whenever i used words with 4 syllables or more

I was forced to watch so many movies like this on netflix and I get ptsd style flashbacks when I think about it

>1985
>Gorgeous Winston Churchchill.
>Has to choose between dumb fucking whore slut or daddy.
>Choose whore.
>Fucking pseud.