Slow Cooker Recipes

I've recently bought a slow cooker to help feed me through uni. What are some cheap beef/chicken recipes that I can use for my slow cooker?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/perfect-pot-roast-recipe-pioneer-woman.html
food.com/recipe/debbies-crock-pot-chili-45069
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pot roast

Pot roast.

chuck roast
potato
Carrot
celery
Mushrooms
Onions

Make sure to brown your meat

seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/perfect-pot-roast-recipe-pioneer-woman.html

Sample recipe, feel free to take liberties experiment with flavors vegetables. Worcestershire is great. When Dutch oven recipes say put in oven that's when you transfer everything to your slow cooker. Browning the meat helps a lot but I'm not sure if you have other kitchen appliances?

Do you eat pork?

I don't mind pork but I prefer beef and chicken.
Cheers, I'll try making it tomorrow

>I don't mind pork but I prefer beef and chicken.
Okay. Would you like a fairly cheap, but tasty, pork recipe followed by a few chicken recipes?

That sounds just about perfect to me.
I have to live on a student budget and I am relatively new to cooking

Okay give a few mins and I will post some recipes/prices (USD) to make with your crockpot, along with how you can use the leftovers to make other dishes. I have been cooking on a student budget for a while, hence my tripfag name.

Are you in the US by chance?

Pulled Pork all day.

Pork butt
barbecue sauce of desired flavor
Hamburger buns
time

Garnish with mustard and nom

I'm from the UK, and thanks for the help
I'll look into some pulled pork recipes

Don't bother. American BBQ sauce that is required for pulled pork is sweeter than chocolate. Just take a bottle of ketchup and dump that plus the entire bag of brown sugar into the cockpot then add vinegar, red pepper, and black pepper. Cook that on low with a pork butt until it's done. There you have it: glorious sickeningly sweet American BBQ pulled pork. They are a disgusting people.

I've never had a sweet tooth anyway, it makes me feel sickly

American BBQ is so sweet and disgusting. Everything they eat is packed with sugar including their fucking meats.

I can't say I've ever had it myself but you seem pretty polarised on the issue

"German" Pork Roast

1 2-3lb pork roast ($5)
2 cans (~14oz each) of Sauerkraut ($1.50)
1 onion ($0.25)
1 can ~28oz of Chicken broth (~$1.25)
Some Dijon mustard with horseradish
Some minced garlic
Total ~$10 and will feed around 8 people

Directions:
1) Slice the onion and spread evenly over the bottom of the crockpot
2) Pour the chicken broth into the crockpot
3) Place pork in crockpot. Then smear mustard all over the top of the roast.
4) Open sauerkraut and dump on top of mustard covered pork roast.
5) Cook on high for about 5 hours.
6) Serve with some boiled potatoes and if you want, you can make some gravy with the leftover juice.

Leftover ideas: Shred with forks and make pulled pork as suggested, make carnitas, make enchiladas, etc.

Chicken recipe incoming in a bit.

>I'm from the UK, and thanks for the help
Okay, then my prices might be a bit off/leftover ideas. No worries man, I can stretch a dollar to eat decent, but I cannot guarantee that you will have all the ingredients. You all still have whole chickens there right?

I'm not huge on sauerkraut, is there a substitute for it?
haha, yes we do have chickens in the UK

>I'm not huge on sauerkraut, is there a substitute for it?
No, but you will not get the "sauerkraut" taste when you eat it.

>haha, yes we do have chickens in the UK
I meant whole chickens. Give me a few minutes and I will take some pics with my phone of some rubs from a cookbook that I consult fairly often for chicken rubs.

Are torillias (mexican not spanish) common there along with enchilada sauce or is that a bit much price wise for your budget?

>amerifag here

I can assure you he is right. I fucking hate it. Its all as sweet as candy. Its terrible.

He clearly puts too much salt in his food.

A lot of American BBQ sauces are overly sweet, but nothing's stopping you from getting a similar flavor without all the sugar. Just ignore tards like him.

Rubs 1

Rubs 2

Rubs 3

Get one whole chicken and rice it in cold water and pat dry. Pick a rub and rub the chicken down with your desired rub. Place chicken in crockpot (DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID!!!) and cook on high for about 4 hours. The whole chicken is done, and can be served with your favorite side dish/es.

Leftovers: you can fork shred the chicken and make some enchiladas, or if no sauce is available at a reasonable price, then perhaps chicken quesadillas. Worst case, you have some chicken salad, or chicken sandwiches ready to go.

Do you need some more ideas? Also, sorry for the fucked angles on the pics; my phone is a bit retarded.

yeah, whole chickens are fine here, tortilla's are common her but I am unsure how much enchilada sauce is.
Definitely sounds like a simple meal for me, thank you.
I'm not opposed to having more ideas but I think i'm content with what you've given me :)

food.com/recipe/debbies-crock-pot-chili-45069

ground beef
onions
pinto beans
tomatoes
green chili (probably can't get this in UK but any chilis you can get a hold of are valid)
tomato paste
chili powder
cumin
paprika
salt
black pepper
garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
onion powder
dried oregano
red pepper flakes

don't be afraid to experiment, slow cookers are forgiving, hard to fuck stuff up.

A lot of bbq sauce you buy in the store has too much sugar but it's easy to replicate by making your own sauce. Mix store ketchup (which itself has a lot of sugar if you get the wrong brand, check which has the least) with apple cider vinegar, some mustard, and a small quantity of carmelized brown sugar or honey. Really should make your own ketchup too, but it's hard to get the texture right. If you do that, skip all the sugar in the ketchup recipe but add more brown sugar/honey to the bbq sauce. I do this in my slow cooker as well, so give it a try. Good for pulled pork or any random slab of beef really.

Slow cooker 101

1: Go to grocery. Buy 1.5-2lbs of whatever the cheapest cut of beef you can find. Probably top round, london broil, chuck.
2: Rub tomato paste and whatever powders you like (paprika, garlic powder, whatever). Throw whatever vegetables you like (carrots, potatoes, celery, whatever) on top. Pour in beef broth until the beef is barely covered (maybe a little more if it's a really lean cut). Cook for 8 hours on low. Salt and pepper to taste.

Extra credit: When finished, transfer veggies + broth to container and refrigerate overnight. Wrap slab of cooked beef in foil (be careful not to let it fall apart, it should be tender at this point) and also refigerate overnight. Next morning, slice it up and put everything back in the slow cooker for 8 more hours. This way all the slices get the flavor of all the stuff covered more evenly.

Lmao where the fuck do you shop that a 3lb pork roast is $5?