Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?t=m&q=knife sharpening service
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bessemer
youtube.com/watch?v=sijUq_Gxyu4
youtube.com/watch?v=gy-v1MwAJTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tojiro DP for £30.
Might be a meme but for that price I love it

The $40 Victorinox Chef's knife is a restaurant kitchen favorite as they do not need special care while washing to avoid damage and can be replaced cheaply.

I was looking at that one on amazon. Is the knife of good qualitu?

Got this one a couple of months back. I'm really happy with it. I love the profile and it's decent steel for a reasonable price.

Can someone recommend a good whetstone for an absolute beginner?

go to /k/ theyll know what you need friend

Haven't you just started another thread with the exact same question and the exact same pic, you retard? And you were given answers. Just get decent name brand water stone, it's a fucking stone, there's not a great deal you can get wrong.

I like my Wüsthofs, but I'd take the 9'' versions over the 8'' ones.

Mercer Renaissance 8-inch

Give me a foolproof way to sharpen knives pls. Be advised I have a short attention span.

lmgtfy.com/?t=m&q=knife sharpening service

retard is kind of harsh, we call them autists where I am from

shapton kuromaku

no soak water stones means no time soaking and no oil to fuck around with and make a mess. Come in a wide variety of grits. Manufactured stones have high consistency of grit as well. Now fuck off.

Classic 10" wusthof

The "best" one I've got is some basic Henckel chefs knife, but barely ever use it. I got a cheap ass knife a while ago which I tend to use a lot more, because it has a nicer grip, a better weight and is sharp enough for me.

>bolster

Gross.

Exact same knife. Retired professional chef, went through my career with me. It's a great knife.

>Reddit spacing
Gross.

My grandmother gave it to me, it's from the ~1970s and was just sitting aside unused for 4 decades.

>muh reddit
Gross

>falling for the reddit spacing meme

Mac mth-80. Best knife I've ever had.

$40 Victorinox.
Do not sharpen it, ever.
Buy a new one when it gets too dull.

@cooltoolme on Instagram.

Look the guy up, dude is super talented at knives.

I got a 210mm damascus steel gyuto from him two years ago, has held it's edge so finely.

Not shilling. Really check him out.

I also have a 8in miyabi
chef knife, a shun 6.5in chef, a 9in wustof, and a 10in chef by myabi.

I love them all, but my Nap knives are my favorites. Can't beat the light weight and sharp edges

Mercer 12". I work in a bakery, so it's great for cutting sheet cakes, brownie slabs, and releasing pastries from sheet pans. I use my 14" Victorinox serrated slicer more, though. Good for cutting cakes.

just bought this

For the price the quality is good, though not as good of a value since they became a meme.
Pic related; bolsters are for moms.
Deal with it

A SilkyChef from the dollar store.

It's a total piece of shit, but if I buy a new one every year for the next 40 years, I'm still saving money.

10" dexter russel cooks knife

Knives like that are usually the main knives for a chef and get used a LOT. Did the one knife truly last you your whole career? How often did you sharpen it, and how?

IIRC I have asked you before, but please never sell it. Or if you do please offer it on kitchenknifeforums.com first. Such a beauty in pristine condition is much too nice for some idiot who buys it on ebay and then ruins it in three months with a pull-through sharpener.

Why on earth would you not sharpen it and spend $40 for a new one when you can sharpen it in five minutes, for 2 cents in wear of steel and stone?

>SilkyChef
It will still be a shit knife, dull as fuck and super thick behind the edge and will make prep and cooking a pain in the ass until you die. Do you really want to go through that for the next 40 years? As someone who is obviously interested enough in food and cooking to hang out on a cooking board?

Can anyone explain why you would buy a full bolster knife. They seem entirely impractical?

It balances the weight, adds some strength to the blade and protects your hands.

That's about it afaik.

stamped steel chinese cleaver and a cheap stainless steel chef knife. I have my own grind stones.

I'm not a pretentious faggot that buys hundreds dollars worth of knife that you won't use to their full potential ever.]

buying an expensive knife is a hobby not a requirement for cooking.

They are a bit more comfortable to hold when choking up on the blade, aka using pinch grip (or can be made so with a bit of sandpaper and elbow grease) and they add a great deal of stability to the heel of the blade so you can chop through chicken thigh bones for example. I agree they are a pain in the ass to sharpen on a whetstone when you don't have access to a belt grinder to move the bolster back a bit.

to add to that, modern metallurgy produces uniformed steel of which having a quality no hand crafted metal can ever match. A good quality stamped steel knife is all you need.

There's nothing in the kitchen that require to be cut with a light sabre.

>buying an expensive knife is a hobby not a requirement for cooking.

The point is that a GOOD knive is essential for ENJOYING cooking. Not all expensive knives are good, and you can cook even with shitty knives, it's just that prepping is a pain in the ass. But bad knives are only bearable for a hobby cook or professional chef if you have never experienced what difference a truly good knife can make.

Metal wise and thus cutting power, both knives equally sharpened, a cheap stainless steel knife does not lose to an artisan knife. The only "good feel" is in your mind.

Been trained traditionally in chinese cuisine, that means no fancy knives. Cheap steel cleavers is all I need. Think Chen Kenichi from iron chef.

As an actual chef, I need a strong quality knife that can hold up to having the shit beat out of it all day. The fact is, is any knife under 150$ just simply isnt worth my time and they wont hold an edge for longer than a week. If youre at home however, anything above 50$ is probably good value as youre not really doing enough to fuck that edge up. Unless youre stupid.

My current knife is a suisin inox 270mm gyoto. Shits a beast. I bought it in like feb and Ive only recently had to hit it on the stone.

Also, youre a fucking idiot. Having a good knife is an absolute requirement if you plan on making quality cuts.

>not doing prep and maintenance everyday
>"professional chef"

fuck off

wut

Not that guy, but nobody ever mentioned "hand-crafted knife" other than you, he clearly mentioned "good knife" not "handcrafted knife" what the fuck are you going on about?

You mean hitting it on the steel? If youre stone sharpening your shit everyday youre just grinding away your knife for no reason.

What are you cutting that dents your knife? Smashing bones?

A 1000 dollar knife does not use better steel than a cheap stamped steel knife. Modern metals are made in literal industrial quantities with precision chemical makeup.

This is 21st century, hell, we could've done it since late 1800 when Henry Bessemer invented oxygen furnace. We can produce steel with exact molar composition of carbon and other elements.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bessemer

Guess what, artisan knives buys their steel from the same fucking source.

It's a fucking 10 dollar stamped steel knife, yes grind the fuck away.

Maintenance everyday faggot or stop calling yourself "professional". The only "professional" chef that does not do it everyday has other people in the kitchen do it for them.

Working in a restaurant for a living does not a "professional chef" you make.

>My current knife is a suisin inox 270mm gyoto
You sound more like a saleman than a chef.

Unless a knife's made extremely malformed, the only thing matters is the quality of the steel. A "good knife" nowadays does not use a steel that's warrant the extra price.

And an ergonomic knife makes it artisan, so stfu.

I don't even know what you mean by "cutting power". How well a knife works in practice is determined by many factors - actual sharpness of the edge (at the apex), coarseness of the edge, angle of the cutting bevel, thickness behind the shoulder of the bevel, smoothness of the bladeface, degree of (or lack of) convexity of the bladeface, thickness of the blade at the spine (wedging in hard and thick stuff like celeriac), steel quality (how well the edge holds up against impact, chipping and abrasion etc) ... I agree that there are plenty of artisanal blades that are shit, but if you know where to look and what to buy chances are you can get many more of those factors right for more money. I have second hand shitty stainless knives that I have thinned and polished myself, they will go through onions and carrots more easily than some of my $200 blades, but teh steel won't keep an edge nearly as long.

Welcome to Veeky Forums where anything that isn't rock-bottom dirt poor poverty shit from Walmart might as well be unobtainium. We had some guy screeching last week about how mad he was that Spotted Pig hamburgers weren't on the same level as the reindeer lichen with ants at Faviken even though they cost 25 dollars.

Also, if you just cut meats and veggies and use proper technique and don't ban your edge on the fucking cutting board. You can maintain an edge with any shit quality steel. Steel is fucking hard compare to flesh and plants, hard as balls.

It's like diamond cutting into glass hard.

Even with a rubber cutting board, the fact that youre just making cuts at any kind of decent clip, youre gonna bring down and dull that edge just a little. Someone whose actually a chef is gonna be using that knife at a much much higher clip than any home kitchen and shitty knives are gonna lose their edge literally that day. You simply dont have the time to stone sharpen your shit every day. The value is in that knife holding its edge. 1000 dollar knives are retarded, yes. But if youre in that 150-300 dollar range, youre getting something that will actually last you.

See thats just you being retarded and thinking you know shit when you dont.

>the only thing matters is the quality of the steel
You obviously know jack shit about knives. See my post directly below yours.

There's a difference between funtionality and showing offness.

If I cook to entertain, yes I would use that Japanese knife that costs $1400, because that's part of the "entertainment". But for everyday use any cheap knife is just as good.

Show us your fucking work, I can carve a fucking pagoda from a rotten cucumber with windows that's see through. Even that does not require a thousand dollar knife.

Wtf kind of brain surgery are you doing that requires obsidian edged knives? Pull your head out of your ass. You are a chef, the most delicate cut you do on a regular basis probably is just dicing some carrots.

Don't suck your own dick too hard.

The usual Veeky Forums strawman shit, where people don't actually answer and argue with another poster but instead hear some single buzzword/cue word and immediately start spouting off their own preconceived opinions.

>$1400
And there we go again with the poverty logic
You can get a perfectly good knife for under $200, your problem is you can barely afford the $15 knife so anything beyond that might as well be a $60,000 knife with a solid platinum handle and decorated with diamonds and emeralds

youtube.com/watch?v=sijUq_Gxyu4

Judging by this video, cleavers can do extremely fine cutting just fine. This guy cuts tofu to threads.

You are the poorfag projecting your own poorness onto other people. Losing argument on functionality and you end up calling other people poorfag.

Please sit down.

>No U!
You're really bad at this

read

>when I cook to entertain

not

>if

read it as

>when

Hey, if you don't like it I'm sure can find a website where you'll fit in better.

A single line would have sufficed. Say "I mean to say ______". See? That was easy!

Like if you need like, say a quart of brunoise mire poix and youve got maybe 20 minutes to do it, you need a hilariously sharp edge to pull off an even remotely competent cut on those carrots. And if you have to do that literally everyday whilst making a shitload of other cuts that day, thats where the value comes in. Anything even remotely under 100 dollars and youre gonna be sitting there mad as fuck that you thought you got something good enough.

As far as my work, uh, I mean ive got some pictures of food? I made some dope ass shrimp and grits last weekend at home.

Which, the knife used for all the shit in that picture was only a 60 dollar 8 inch chefs knife that used to be my main knife.

GJ bruh, is that your dish?

You need a fucking "good knife" to take the gut out of shrimps?

How far is your head up your own ass?

Good dish though, nice inspiration with the tortilla, but with that much sauce it's soggy as fuck by the time customer eats it.

>$60
Your hand made luxury high end exclusive hipster knife is making me feel dumb

Please never spend more than $5 on disposable knives otherwise you're just proving you are covering up your lack of skill with your custom hand forged folded over 9000 times trust fund richfag luxury toys

LMAO, dat roughly diced green onion, you need a fucking good knife for that too?

At least show a fucking cut that's slightly thinner.

See
Holy shit, those are yellow grits you fucking retard.

>tortilla
Are you fucking blind?

Yeah?

Brother, fellow "professional".

Knife is a tool, as long as it's functional it's fine. In real life, a high quality knife does not have the suffix "of adding epic skillz". There's no such knives in the real life that improves your skill. It's the other way around.

A good knife is a status symbol to show off, nothing more.

Hollay fuck bruh, cutting an egg in half, getta have to use that samurai sword that's folded 1000000 times.

Soft boiled eggs are hard as diamonds, we all know.

Holy fuck rye bread, we all know that shit's dense as granite, getta bring out that demascus fucking steel bro

Yeah good luck getting those little cuts on those chives with a shit knife. You idiot.

I have a £30 Mora with a Scandi grind.
It does everything I need in the kitchen from butchering deer to finely diced mirepoix.

>buys $500 dollar knife
>for cutting chives
>chives not even evenly diced
>different width

well done, nicely proven your point.

youtube.com/watch?v=gy-v1MwAJTI

Your chives are no where near this. Western chef, I swear to god. Boast about your knife skills when you can do delicate cuts with a cleaver, not before.

EXACTLY!

Im not saying that the better knives add skill. Im saying that theyre an absolute requirement of executing consistency every day for 10+ hours a day.

Thats not a cleaver.

If you are really a chef, the only knife you need is a sharp knife of any material. You'd do your own grinding to keep it sharp, use good techniques not to dent the edge, and wanting nothing more.

You are a faggot that thinks an expensive knife increases your shitty bottom tier skills. Guess what, they do not.

You are sitting there typing with a straight facing telling me you need a fucking $500 dollar knife to dice chives?

Seriously, how far up your ass does your head go?

>started at $1400 and it keeps creeping down asymptotically
By the time the thread hits bump limit you'll be within $10 or so of the actual stated price

I sharpen my own knife for sure dude. Me and another chef threw down on a really nice stone set that we keep at work. And what Im telling you is, yes you can totally get any edge sharp AF. But those cheap blades lose that sharpness super fast. Like that 60 dollar knife I used to have I would say fuck it and spend 45 minutes putting a hilariously sharp edge on it starting at 400 grit and finishing at 6000, id then have to julienne like 30 full sized spanish onions and then literally later that day struggling to get into a slightly over-ripened tomato. That shit right there is what youre paying for.

I mean, first and foremost you keep throwing out 500-1000 dollars like anyone is saying that. However, when you need like, literally a quart of chives, all tiny and compact for a big event, yeah you need a really nice knife to get that done in any reasonable time frame in addition TO ALL OF THE OTHER FUCKING CUTS YOU HAVE TO MAKE. And I mean like a fucking massive hand full of chives that you use a c-fold towel to keep together while youre making your cuts.

What kind of steel ass chives are you using that dent a stamped steel knife? I want to fucking know.

Seriously, here is this guy that argues he needs an expensive knife to cut chives and other people on this board are supporting him?

I know Veeky Forums is amateur heavy, and always been a blistering pustule, but this is a bit much.

a cheap tadafusa santoku, carbon steel
>easy to sharpen
>super light
>nothing sticks to it
>versatile shape that feels perfectly balanced in my hand
I'm pretty glad I feel for the santoku meme

Youre just an idiot thats never actually had to do any of the shit Im talking about. Id honestly explain it to you, but youre probably too much of a retard to understand.

God damm, plastic ferrule wa handles really piss me off

I mean if it's a $40 knife fine I understand but there is no excuse for that on a knife that costs over $100

Also inb4 the guy who thinks a tadafusa costs $1400

Because again, youre not at some restaurant and literally the only thing youve had to cut that day are 3 strands of chives.

*you're

This is some of my work from my restaurant.

yeah, it feels like all the time and effort available at that budget went into the blade, which is the right choice in my eyes, but I can see why people would complain. I can't complain at all though as I got it for way less than $100

3/10 jus is cloudy, underside of drum soggy, pickled mustard overwhelming the delicate chikkun, soggy shroom with full tough stem cut lengthwise
5/10 cum all over, salmon hidden from view, nicely done eggs being the saving grace though
2/10 crispy skin ruined and soggy, waterlogged navet/radishes, precooked day old potatoes of the waxy type

>my restaurant
being a panhandler at a place doesnt make it yours.

Come on then tripfag, name the restaurant?

Oh, I wont tell you that. Lol this is Veeky Forums, man.

Man, literally all of that is wrong. Haha you dont know shit about food.

>salmon hidden from view
wut?
There is a giant chunk of salmon right under the egg you fuck wit.

And there arent any mushrooms in that first pic. Thats confit chicken.