EXISTENTIAL CRISIS!

EXISTENTIAL CRISIS!
Any chefbros here?

>> Be me
>> Start working by chance in a high level with no coulinairy training
>> In the beginning without salary for liek 2 weeks or so.
>> After 2 weeks head chef calls me.
>> Ok user U good have 750euros/month for starters and let's see how this goes.
Cont.

Swapped to laptop.

cont.
>>YESCHEF.jpg
>> Week 1: Take over salad and dessert section solo. Life is GOOD.
>> Week 4: Hey user I know it's Saturday and we are expecting 120 covers, but here are some new desserts for you to make as well.
>> Well fuck.
>> Salad expectation time 3 mins.
>> Have 20 salads and 14 desserts to make.
>> MINOR DELAYS ~7mins
>> Maitre waltzes in.
>> Hey guy in charge salad was late, by Sunday get a new saldbro and fire current one
>> Wait souchefbro I am saladbro, plsno.

.cont

Fired because you write 4 lines of text and then make us wait fuck off I hope you get fired and starve

>> Sorry saladbro :(
>> 2 days later found a job as line cook at another restaraunt.
>> bb lol
>> Go to new place.
>> Owner calls me over.
>> user we got a problem. Chef gtfo'd we need you to take charge of the kitchen.
>> wtf.png
>> Here some money go to that island take recipes from gtfo chef. U GOT 2 DAYS LOL
>> Okay.
>> Go to island get recipes gtfo back to town to start cooking.
>> Looks ez actually I manage to get everything in line with one assistant and food is ok
>> Start service everyone is happy first day with no delays.
>> Fuck ya I rock.
>> 1 month pass, restaurant is not doing too hot.
>> Come to work one day.
>> Here is Chef K user. He is here to change the menu.
>> New Chef is hotshot worked with Ferran Andria in El bulli
>> OMFG WOT
]cont.

fuck off mobile was spazzing had to rewrite everything you hoe.

.cont

>> Chef K is OLD FUCKING SCHOOL. Screaming, punching, kicking, throwing pots all the jazz.
>> Kinda takes a liking in me cuz I had Japanese shit lying around, kimchee base and the likes.
>> Chef K has hardon for japan.
>> Introduces me to some cafe bar.
>> They want sushi every Saturday for lunch.
>> 100eur for 4 hours work. I am shit at rolling rolls but had some glimpses at head sushi chef in previous restaurant, so I manage some nifty shit.
>> Dey happy.
>> 3 weeks later owner of the restaurant I am working in calls me.
>> Ur fired bitch bb
>> Y do?
>> No explanation.
>> Well balls. At least I have sushi gig, can barely survive on 400e/ month.
>> Cafe gig owners happy so not sweating it keep rollin dem rolls.

cont,

Will continue if this gathers any interested. Can't be fucked to write for myself.

Im reading retard just fucking post

Keep going and
>greentext properly

cont by "popular" demand.

>> Cafe gig going GREAT.
>> Deal was 40 rolls so many people coming I need to make over 100 per session.
>> Feeling confident.
>> No money do.
>> Get in contact with the butcher I had in the previous restaraunt.
>> Hey user it's Christmas we are in the shtter need help too many orders can you help?
>> Okay Butcherbro I'm on it.
>> Butcherbro provides meat for public as well as over 70 restaraunts in town.
>> CHRISTMAS IS HELL
>> In the meantime Cafe owner calls me.
>> Sorry sushibro we can't afford sushi lunch anymore so we stopping it.
>> WTF Y AM I NO GOOD?
>> No sushibro u good we have sushiplace in the center u go there in 3 weeks for tryouts.
>> AH BTW WE GOT DIS HEAD SUSHI CHEF FROM NOBU CONSULTING. HE WILL BE TRYING YOU OUT.
[Nobu is the largest chain of japanese restaurants in the world google it]
>> Sweatrolls.png

TELL ME ABOUT THE GLANDS!!!

>fired with no explaination
>fired for being 7 minutes late
>750 euro a month

Find a different career

Why are you typing like a 12 year old girl? Do you have a mental disability? Just use normal English, jesus fucking christ.

>> I like to greentext like a retard.

cont

>> Gotta go buy a knife. Otherwise no chance.
>> Settle for a small Yanagi from Kai. Pic related.
>> No money for something better.
>> Christmas passes I survive butchershop rush.
>> Meantime we start a meat sushi roll gig in the butcher shop. Sell 1euro per a PIECE [1 roll = 8pcs]
>> Needless to say I am still completely TRASH at making rolls or sushi of any kinds.
>> Chances are slim but meatsushi doing GOOD. Every Saturday/Sunday 50eur/day
>> Judgement day arrives.
>> Go to the sushi bar.
>> Shitting BRIXX
>> Japanese dude there and some Filipinos fidgeting around.
>> Calls me over.
>> Ok user, make me a roll two nigiri and present them to me in a plate.
>> Yeschef.jpg

cont.

OKAY
I live in Greece. Miminum wage 420eur. 750 is SWEET considering I had no prior exp.

cont.

>> I make some shitty rolls and two DISASTERS of something resembling nigiri (no exp in making those). But I knew how to present a sushi plate at least.
>> Japchef looks at it with obvious disgust written on his face.
>> You know nothing user. But you are not Fillipino and look at least kind of clean so I will try to train you. (he did not give a flying fuck about the sushi bar he was consulting in retrospect so I got a free pass)
>> Start training for a week or two pick up as much information as possible.
>> The japanese did not train me, fillipino did
>> Protip: they were shit and they taught me shit.
>> 3 weeks later owner calls me
>> Okay user we are happy with your progress, we have this hole of a sushi bar north of town, the chef bailed with no notice.
>> Go there take as chef
>> WAT? ok
>> have 1200 salary

cont.

Keep posting for some reason reading about your shitty life is giving me pleasure

pay your debnts greek

cont.

>> I arrived to the sushi bar.
>> WHAT A SHITHOLE
>> 2x2 open kitchen with EVERYTHING set around it. Fryers, fridges, stoves, all the shibang.
>> A realization hits me: I am expected to work alone. Do everything. Salads, appetisers, sushi, sashimi, nigiri, entrees, main courses and desserts.
>> Weeeeeeew
>> Start setting up, cleaned everything up, tested the recipes.
>> Went up to the attic where the freezers were
>> 4 years worth of fish scrap.
>> Damn son. Gotta throw everything.
>> Opening day arrives with nothing of interest to report, actually the whole thing was boring so I will skip most of it.
>> Owners wife a COMPLETE BITCH SMARTASS HOE that breaks my balls daily.
>> One day I arrive at 1pm to start prep (opening hours were 7pm-1am) She has 2 cooks there cooking chicken skewers for her daughter's birthday.
>> Took them 5 hours to finish, I had to enter the kitchen to prep 1 hour before service.
>> Needless to say that day was a fucking NIGHTMARE.
>> Across from sushi bar is a high end eatery, half japanese guy works as a sou chef, we talked a couple of times.
>> Get friendly and talk often.
>> One day we were babbling on about this and that.
>> Hey japfriend, I know what I make is shit and I feel shit about it. Wat do.
>> Well user, I have a japanese sushi chef working in a restaurant in need of an assistant. I can arrange a tryout for you on good terms.
>> YESPLS

cont,

Not Greek fagget so no denbts for you.

By the way all the photos of food are made by me.

Can you please PLEASE stop writing like such a faggot? Either that or go back.

.cont.

>> I arrive at the address the japbro gave me.
>> HOLY FUCK THIS IS ONE OF TOP 3 JAPANESE RESTAURANTS IN THE COUNTRY WTF.
>> Get SUPER anxious, hyperventilating and the such.
>> NO WAY they would hire me.
>> Well fine, might as well bit the bullet.
>> Walked in, two Japs working in the sushi bar.
>> A hot as FUUUU hostess greets me and tells me to wait while she calls the chef.
>> Chef walks out of the kitchen.
>> You are here for the tryout user? This way.
>> Leads me to the sushi bar.
>> Angels sing out in an immaculate chorus while I approach the sushi bar, large, spacious, clean and neatly organized.
>> At this point I realize that it's very HOT even though this was an outdoors sushi bar.
>> White plastic panels covered the ceiling creating an actual effective greenhouse effect.
>> 42C HOLYSHIT.
>> GO through the tryout the japanse were polite and nice.
>> You know nothing user.
>> But if you want I can train you.
>> YESPLZ
>> K have 1300/month
>> I'm nearly crying while I walk out.
>> Start working two weeks later.
>> INTENSE SHIT 120 covers per day, HEAVY on the sushi bar while.
>> Cost per person is aprox. 120eur
>> ELITE RESTARAUNT, celebs, politics and the such.
>> No room for fuckups.
>> One advantage I have is I absorb what I see like a fucking sponge and produce very fast results of what I learn.
>> Get on an OK level within two weeks.
>> Japanese enjoy my MASSIVE weaboo-ness since I catch some of what they are saying and try to say shit and japanese while they laugh their ass off.

cont,.

The fuck dude, I greentext but at least most of the sentences are coherent after the first time someone asked me to stop fucking around.

Sushibro pls
>pls sushibro

I mean the autistic 2011 Internet slang and ending random phrases with file extensions. It's clear you're from reddit, and that's fine, just stop talking like a twat

You do know you can greentext with just a single angle bracket and no spaces right:
>be shitty chef
>> greentext like a sperg

Please continue though, rags to riches stories are neat.

cont.

>> The head sushi chef tells me he is going to leave after the end of the summer season and plans to open his own restaurant.
>> Tells me that if I want to I can follow him as an assistant and of course I agree.
>> The dude has SKILLZ.
>> Season ends in early October, I resign from the restaurant with the promise from the Japchef that his joint will be open by the end of December.
>> It turns out the guy doesn't even have a place yet.
>> Greek bureaucracy is a nightmare, takes MONTHS to get a license to run a restaurant and only after you establish your location.
>> November arrives and I found him a location. He is happy with it and starts the renovation etc. I come in daily to help with whatever they needed free of charge of course.
>> Japchef promises me 1.3k and 30% tips cut once we open.
>> MONTHS PASS, no income. The joint opens in fucking MAY, I am a couple of THOUSANDS in debt at this point.
>> First day, he and his partner announce to me that they can not pay me 1,3 k and will only give me 1. At this point so deep in shit I can only accept this.

cont.

cont,

>We start working. Only me and my Sensei in the kitchen, almost pure blood sushi bar, albeit with some twists and extra plates here and there besides sushi.
>He is starting to beat mad skillz into me with the Japanese prowess you only seen in fucking anime.
>after a month passes I have some bowel accident and get 20mins late to work.
>HE IS SO MAD
>Dude actually stops talking to me and is not letting me do anything.
>I try to iron shit out, apologized properly work twice as hard to no avail.
>I would later find out that the shop is not bringing enough money in to support my presence there.
>Two weeks of this shit. I get so anxious that I am actually nearly throwing up every time I walk through the door to start my shift.
>Hours are insane as well >80/week
>Exhausted and enraged I quit.
>Leave the joint with my clothes and the knife Sensei gave me as a present when we started nearly in tears. [pic related not the actual one but same thing]

cont.

Really interesting. Posts like this are the only reason I keep coming back to this board. And OP from Houston .

That's rough bro, did you burn your bridges at the high-end place your current boss and you came from? This sounds like a shit deal DESU familam

Not sure you can fix it other than take that resume packing to another abusive restaurant

cont.
>At this point I haven't even made a DENT into paying off my denbts.
>Decide to swallow my pride and send a text to the previous restaurant chef(The good one) "Good evening chef, are you looking for sushi chefs?"
>Get a reply in 30 seconds: You start on Monday 1.3k/mo
>THANK YOU SWEET BABY JESUS
>In reality I am a fucking shell at this point, burnt out with no interest in being a sushi chef or whatever. But I need the money and I have confidence in my skills. At least in the skills I was needed for where I was going, In addition I learned how to fillet fish properly, still in practice phase though.
>Get into work, some bald dude with a goatee introduces himself as the assistant sushi chef and the head sushi chef will be in later.7
>Tells me fish has arrived but the sushi chef does not let him cut fish cus he sucks balls.
>He shows me around (this is a different location of the chain mind you with different people) and while he shows me around the second japbro from the previous branch waltzes in, looks at me.
>The dude is in the grind for a loooooong time and is near retirement.
>Squints at me: I don't know you! Go do fish!
>Haha very funny.
>I take my knives and go to fillet the fish.
>Remember I am still in the training phase so I am slow and not as precise as I would be later.
>Still the whole staff is looking and me with a dumbfounded look on their faces while I dance around the fish with no confidence.
>Feels good.
>Take the fish to the sushi chef. He's happy AF no need for him to do this assistant job anymore.
>And a lot more as I would later find out.

cont.

do you have a father?
you sound like a clueless son of a bitch

Mind elaborating?

Jesus fucking christ, I'm about 3 posts in and I'm done

Find a way to shorten this shit I'm not reading a fucking novel, take your life story over to /adv/ or /r9k/

If everyone agrees I will condense this to the bare minimum

Jesus Christ OP. I'm not reading that.

Yes, FFS, do a TL;DR version. Your story is interesting, but you're not good at writing a novel offhand, it's been a little hard to follow at times.

I'm enjoying the read OP :)

you quit a job with no where to go and went into massive debt and worked for the guy for free, seems like you've got no financial sense. Got rolled by a guy selling you a fairy tale.
I just ask about the father because it seems like something if you mentioned to him he'd probably cautioned against living on savings as a young man.
I'm assuming this all works out in the end though

cont.

>all this is happening mid july.
>23d of july I get a call from the head chef: Get your shit ready user you are coming to help into this amazing paradise island branch for the high season. (200e per person in this one)
>When?
>Tomorrow evening.
>Get my shit packed. Take the ferry. Sayonara big city.
>At the island branch they had a hardcore mothafocka japanese working.
>250 covers per day. Actually quite hard.
>After a month and a half a couple of hundreds of fish later I am a master of filleting any kind of fish you throw my way.
>MAD SKILLZ in rolls and prep. Still no idea how to make nigiri and sashimi. Try to pry some lessons from the head sushi chef and he tells me some bear tips.
>The head chef announces that he is going to resign along with the whole crew. Japanese does the same.
>I get a call after a shift: we need you at the city branch to help the new head chef start shit up.
>Pack my shit get back to town filled with new knowledge and skills feeling good.
>Walk into town branch.
>Chef K is there.

Yeah my parents split early and I left home when I was 16. barely speak to them since

I like the retard wording dont shorten it OP

Thank you for fixing your green texting sushibro. Please keep going, I'm interested.

cont. TL;DR - ish version

>Chef K remembers me as a shithead 2 years prior that didn't know shit and nearly fires me on the spot without even checking if I learned anything.
>Within 4 months I am the Head sushi chef of the town branch 1.5k/mo denbt free.
>Trying hard AS FUCK to keep the image of my sensei making nigiri and sashimi and trying to perfect what I am doing without guidance.
>Management is happy so whatever. I am not happy at all but constantly improving
>Chef K is happy
>Chef K has a HUGE fight with management and picks up his crew same day and storms out.
>Tells me to follow him.
>Sorry chef the company owes me 2.5k at this point, I can't quit I will lose my money.
>Okay :(
>Continue working, the management brings in a new chef, chef S
>Chef S is the previous head chef of one of the other top 3 japanese rests in the country.
>VERY FUCKING SURPRISED AT MY PERFORMANCE AND QUALITY
>Actually WTF-ing

cont

OP I think you are genuinely autistic and if you bullshitted to me about your experience in order to get a job, just to end up fucking me over with the chaos you cause, I would keep one of your fingers before firing you

SIDENOTE.

Before the island japchef left he sold me his moto, which was in the company's name since he did not have the right to buy a vehicle in the country. Some time before Chef K left my wallet was stolen along with my passport and ID so I could not transfer the moto to my name untill I got my docs back, the process took 6 months. this will be relevant later

I did not bullshit anyone about my work experience actually. I was very clear and honest about my experience everywhere I went

We are almost done.

Cont.

>At this point it's nearly summer season and people are getting ready to go to the island, a new japbro gets appointed as executive sushi chef. He is also very surprised and happy with my performance so thins are going well.
>Chef K calls me.
>Sushibro. I have a job for you as a head sushi chef in this island pay is 2k you will have a house to yourself and all that jazz.
>HELLYEAH
>Start planning out my exodus. Corp ows me 3k moto still in their name.
>I am an honest guy so I go for the honest approach.
>Owner-san, I want to leave here is my two week notice, please arrange for the moto papers before I go (he was delaying them HARD)
>Okay sushi bro of course no problem.
>Next morning I am woken up by a call.
>It's owner-san.
>Sushibro, you will stay the summer season or I will go to the police and say you stole the moto and you are an illegal without any papers.
>WHAT. THE. FUCK?!
>Actual hardcore blackmail here bro.
>Okay :(
>Call chef K explain the situation and send a previous assistant in my stead as to not to completely hang chef K up.

cont.

cont.

>Soooo I scramble my stuff and head back to the island for the summer season.
>Maybe the situation is shit but at least I can get the japbro to teach me since we are very friendly and beef up my skills even more.
>I am nearly at head sushi chef level but still need one last HARD push to be there.
>Season passes with no actual issues besides my knees giving out by the end, most days I would have to dish out 110 covers just by myself since the japbro was busy with other stuff and the second assistant was still very green.
>I am a BEAST at this point, nothing phases me. everything comes out beautiful and proper.
>Everyone is happy. Except my knees.
>At this point I am working already 2 years in this rest non stop with 1 or 0 days off per week.
>TIRED AF.
>Bite the bullet, carry on.
>Summer season over, get 5 days break then back into the fray.
>Continue through with the winter season.
>I am in charge of one branch japbro another one.
>Chef K calls me.
>Asks me if I have all my shit in order to leave and he has an important job for me summer season.
>I'm ready bro. All is in order.
>I plot my Exodus.

Cont.

anyone still here or should I bail?

Still here

would you even need papers?
the government would have records for you and the guy could have been contacted about the moto I am sure. Cocksuckers

I'm here

keeping you posted...

plz finish the story sushibro!!!

Still reading

reading, this shit is so interdasting

cont.

>At this point the comp owes me 3 months worth of salaries.
>I realize that I either wait for the day I get SOME money and just bail, completely fucking over the chef and japbro in the process, or I inform them and take my chances that I can kiss 3k goodbye. (comp only registers everyone on basic salary 420e and the rest is off the books so proving that they owe me money would be impossible)
>I take the chivalrous route and inform about my decision.
>Two weeks ether corp pays me or not, but not a day more if I get no money.
>Chef and japbro in shock but not surprised considering everyone is owed salaries and people are leaving in droves.
>2 weeks pass.
>No money.
>I call chef.
>Bro no money in my bank account.
>Sushibro THe owner told me that he will FO SHO pay you till monday.
>Okay chef I will wait until monday. But you know that he says this to everybody every time. I like you but at this point you are backing him up. If there are no money in my account by monday you are free to never call me again.
>Okay sushibro I promise money will be there by monday.
>monday comes.

cont.

Hurry up

>leave current good job to follow some fucko you barely know

why are you so goddamn fucking horse shittingly stupid? Jesus fucking tapdancing christ

>In reality I am a fucking shell at this point, burnt out with no interest in being a sushi chef or whatever. But I need the money and I have confidence in my skills

Congratulations. You are now a chef.

cont

>Ofcourse no money in bank.
>I pack up my shit and Travel to the 6 star compound hotel in which my current restaurant resides.
>One of the top 3
>The one the liar chef came from.
>Executive sushi chef
>2.5k/mo
>My name at this point is well known within the restaurant sphere.
>One of the top 5 sushi chefs in the country
>My own menu.
>Serving celebs and politics daily.
>Shit is SO easy at this point
>Actually kind of disappointed
>Not sure if I actually am as good or wtf is going on.
>Everyone is ecstatic with the food I serve.
>Owners are happy
>5 star reviews all over the place
>And I really don't know.
>Am I really good?
>At every point in time I described
>At THAT TIME, I felt like I was good.
>Looking back I KNOW now I was trash.
>And even now sitting at the top, I am disappointed and not confident with my abilities.
>Shit Sucks.

>>Sorry chef the company owes me 2.5k at this point, I can't quit I will lose my money.
GOOD, jesus I almost slapped you when you left the last job

Good story.
I'm proud of you user.
One day you will own your own place

All i'm gleaning from this is that Greeks are fucking crooks with no fucking employment laws.

>Greeks are fucking crooks

They've been the same fucking way for over 150 years now

It's insane how corrupt the people can be

Keep it up Sushibro, this inspires me to start working at someplace with zero experience and starve for a couple of months.

What do you really expect from a country that's gone bankrupt multiple times

Actually yeah, waaay to many holes in the law and the laws are tilted towards the employer

do you have a favorite piece of sushi or is it all just work?

OP, if I may ask, what restaurant are you at now?

This is a great attitude to have, the second you are happy with your work is the moment you stagnate

I would prefer not to disclose that sorry. except if you have a serious reason you want to know :)
Probably Shime saba (mackerel) with ginger and chives nigiri style.
I generaly love nigiri more than everything else.

I was just curious, but I understand if you don't feel comfortable telling a bunch of strangers. I would love to try your sushi someday, in the US most sushi bars have an extremely limited selection, and the fish is pretty mediocre as well.

I will probably leave this rest after the summer season. I have an offer to work near the US and I am seriously considering it.

i love you sushibro

I love you too anonbro!

Wait wtf happened to the story?

This story concludes at present day, with sushibro in his existential crisis

What area in the US will you be locating to? Here we have a ton if sushi places, depending where you are, it might be very competitive.

We got to today.
I won.
Went from zero to hero in a span of 4 years
The lesson is that it's not enough and I am still doubting myself

Pls come to Arkansas. Too many koreans and vietnamese that keep fucking up sushi then charge an arm and a leg for it. Half them don't even know how to season the rice properly, which is the biggest tragedy. I swear they even use parboiled rice at times.

Mexico actually. I said "Near" the US. :P

I will be applying to some US sushi joints this or next year. But only big chains would go through the trouble to pay for the working visa etc. I doubt there is something in Arkansas of that description.

>2.5k euros/mo
wtf, is the restaurant business this trash? I make about the equivalent of 2k euros a month landscaping and I only work 8-4:30, 5 days a week in Leafland, and I consider it an in-between job.

Yeah Arkansas, no offense, doesn't seem like an ideal place to live or a place where there is a lot of money to be earned.

I was hoping it would be NYC. I'm going to spending 3 months in Europe, would love to try your sushi sushibro. How expensive is it?

Dude, GREECE 420 minimum wage.
>30% unemployment.
2.5k is equivalent of striking oil here

landscaping and in general trades are very profitable

Right now for a full course meal without wine or cocktails it would be around 80e/person

No offense meant, I love the US and not only big cities but rural areas even more. TX is prob my fav state of yours :P

I feel like I am reading a shitty anime story with a sad ending, I bet he killed himself

Shit, for someone who came from such subpar circumstances you're fucking killing it, my guy. Very happy for you.

TYPE QUICKER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thanks a lot bro. It was a hard road :) And still ways to go.

I've never been to Texas, only along the entire east coast. Never had a reason to go.

What are your concerns about going to Mehico? I'm stupid so I would say potentially getting kidnapped and forced to make fancy sushi for higher ups in a cartel like a personal chef.

80 euro isn't so bad but a bit expensive. Do you have more pics of your work? I would like to see a comparison of your earlier stuff and where you are now.

I would also like if you could clear up a few things for me about sushi and it as a cuisine.

it's done, the story is written until next OP gets fucked by the restaurant industry

the story is over why would I need to type quicker? :P

Good story bro, it shows hard work pats off, I learned HVAC on my own, went from 9usd to 33usd a hour in 3 years,

>Arkansas

Why would you want OP to be unemployed