Thoughts on these things?

Thoughts on these things?

Do they have any advantages over cheap tablets for reading ebooks?

Other urls found in this thread:

willus.com/k2pdfopt/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you haven't I recommend going to a store like best buy or Staples with a display one, or checking out a friend's if you can. The display is much much easier on the eyes and pleasant to read on. I love my Paperwhite. I tried to read a physical book again but ended up getting it on my Kindle and reading it on that

Yes- they're cheaper than tablets and they're e-ink, so they're more comfortable to read.

I love how it wasn't mentioned yet, but the only rational reason to get a kindle aside from storage is to pirate books.

I thought it was obvious

Just get a cheap tablet.

E-Ink is much easier on the eyes than a Tab. They say the blue light from computer screens and such mess with your circadian rhythm.

Most books worth reading on kindle are free or under $5 and the screen is much easier to read compared to a tablet imo.

Can you recommend a site user?

libgen.io

>the true lord and savior

Use Calibre (I think) to reformat if needed.

Thanks

Just download them off your library's webpage?

you're still dealing with that on a paperwhite or any "backlit" e-reader, unless you can turn it off (which you can't on the paperwhite, even at the lowest setting)

I do agree it's way better than a tablet or a regular PC monitor but if you want to read before bed time it might be better to just go with a non backlit one

>Not using an EPub reader app on your smartphone

Paperwhite is godly and if you read electronically without e-ink you're a fucking peasant like

battery life is WAY better than a tablet

they also weight less usually, and that matters for long reading sessions

Is there any way to convert pdf to mobi or azw3 and have it look decent?

seconding this.
online conversions are a crapshoot.

I don't know if this is the normal issue, but the line breaks are every two lines, regardless of the sentence length.

Found this one
willus.com/k2pdfopt/

But maybe Calibre is also able to do it?

You can get free books with them when authors do promotional things.

yeah, but I don't really want to download anything. have you used it?

I am trying the k2pdf program now

alright, let me know how it works out.

I'm looking for other sites atm. I found one that lets you change author and title, which is something, but the problem still persists.

MOST RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (Updated 10 Mar 2017)
While I prefer open-source solutions, if you already have a recent version of MS Office, try loading your PDF directly into MS Word. MS Word now converts PDF files to Word documents amazingly well (another example here). It even automatically finds the text in scanned/bitmapped PDFs and uses (quite accurate) optical character recognition (OCR) to convert it to editable text characters in the Word document. Once you have your PDF file in MS Word format, you'll have a lot more capability to manipulate it into other formats and/or form factors. For example, you can use the free e-book management utility, calibre, to convert .docx to epub/mobi, or you could use Writer2ePub or ePub Tools--a Word add-in.

As long as its e-ink, then yeah i absolutely recommend it.

The paperwhite kicks ass. The display looks great and is almost indistinguishable from ink-on-paper, there's a large store of content that frequently has sales, and it's stupid easy to pirate books as well.

not at all. All conversions look like dogshit. You're better off using software like Vellum and copy/pasting the content in. That sounds time consuming but it's really not, as it does all the formatting for you. Exports iBooks & Kindle formats flawlessly.

My GF got me ebook copies of all the Elric stories, but those ebooks rearranged all the stories in some arbitrary ridiculous way. I used Vellum to fix the order and export Kindle MOBI files. They look like complete professionally edited books now.

thanks, I downloaded it, but how do you use it? I unpacked the zip and now I just have a folder full of bullshit.

Wait, is Vellum exclusively for mac?

How to pirate books for my kindle?

How easy is it to use calibre to convert books? Because it looks like a clusterfuck.

I just want my pdfs in mobi format goddammit. This shouldn't be this goddamn hard.

Calibre won't do jackshit besides spit out a formatting nightmare. Either find a ePub/MOBI version or reformat the thing manually. Those are your choices. PDF will never NOT look like shit on an e-ink device.

yeah, looks like it's mac-only. sorry bro, looks like you should have bought a non-peasant computer

You can easily tweak blue light in a pc or a windows tablet in intel graphics config

Personally I think this is the only reason to use them over pads and phones. But it's a huge one. You can get a month out of them easily. Even under heavy reading at least a weak without charging. The difference between them and lcd's in power consumption is astronomical. It's even bigger than what is apparent by longevity. Modern phones and pads have extreme batteries to accommodate new screens and cpus, einkers are at the same time all with tinny low powered ones.

Get 8incher for pdf. Pdf is pain with small screens. And no, no conversion works. If you're really desperate, crop the borders with pdf crop tool, or acrobat, and use landscape. I managed to go through few Oxford Shakespeare, but I don't recommend it.

As neat as they can be, I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars for what is essentialy just a dumbed down tablet with better battery life and a more easy on the eye screen. It just doesn't feel worth it. Get a regular tablet.

>you're still dealing with that on a paperwhite or any "backlit"
They aren't backlit though, they're front lit.

The lights are along the edge of the display and shine down onto it, not into your eyes in the way an LCD screen does.

The small iPad works fine and is easy to sync different formats to.

Dude, an e-ink Kindle is like $99.

>hundreds of dollars
Paperwhite is $120.

yeah, paperwhite, you can get a standard one for 60 bucks

a tip for prospective purchasers of kindles, check ebay every once in a while for "blacklisted" kindles. basically stolen, and the only thing that is done with them is they're restricted from the kindle store, but you can still just use calibre and get whatever books you want on the thing, though used kindles are super cheap these days anyway.
>t. guy who got 2 kindles for less than 30 bucks

Calibre is good.

Calibre

I bought my first one (Kobo) for $20 at the swapmeet, then I found on for $20 again (Nook) at a yard sale. Check your Craigslist dude, I'm gonna check and will more than likely find a cheap one.

I only buy e-books when I don't want people to know that I've read that book.
That's as far as I'll go.

>supporting theft

>being spooked

You can read for hours with no eyestrain compared to a tablet.

I can play video games and watch anime upwards of ten hours a day without eye strain

videogames and anime are not 10 hours of white burning into your retina