How Long Would It Take For Me To Understand This?

10 years? 20 years? Never? I am kind of a brainlet, but I think not having a math background might be beneficial.

Other urls found in this thread:

mathoverflow.net/questions/216184/a-road-to-inter-universal-teichmuller-theory
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm
kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/sokkuri-hausu-link-english.pdf
i.imgur.com/aqzlzL4.gif
mathoverflow.net/questions/35288/undergraduate-roadmap-to-algebraic-geometry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabelian_geometry
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It sounds like he is a bullshit artist who was formerly a respectable mathematician. Maybe he spent 10 years trying to built a theory, snapped, and just filled in the gaps with BS. The proof of Wiles for FLT was confirmed very quickly. Its been ages and it seems no one has found any 'intermediate' gems from his work. I think it was Kedlaya who said that the theory makes very little reference to anything which could be pinned down to produce a concrete example, bound, or anything else computable/falsifiable.

I thought that around 20 mathematicians have said his ABC proof if correct, which would imply his system is viable to solve other arithmetic conundrums.

Yes, but how many of those are his students and other Japanese people who can't call him out due to cultural deference to authority, and how many of them are people trying to decipher hundreds of pages of his work and singing preemptive adulation so they don't appear as brainlets in case they get proven wrong in public in the scenario that there is some underlying meat?

>The proof of Wiles for FLT was confirmed very quickly

Dude, don't be retarded. If this is your argument then you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Wiles' proof was not an original idea. The Shimura Taniyama conjecture was well known to imply Fermat's Last Theorem and basically, everyone in the world had the same idea: Prove Shimura Taniyama to prove Fermat. It just so happened that Wiles succeeded first. Then when Wiles published there was an army of mathematicians who already had a perfect idea of what the proof was about, they studied the conjecture, odds are half the people in the room he gave his original talk had already tried to do the exact same thing and therefore knew at least half of what Wilrd was going to do. It was proven that Shimura Taniyama implied Fermat 1 decade before Weil published, after all. Everyone was studying the same thing. And the Shimura Taniyama conjecture itself dates back to 1956 so the idea Weil used to prove the theorem had been brewing for half a century. Everyone understood what Wiles did immediately.

On the other hand Mochizuki did not have such a luxury. There had been no amazing breakthrough in the a b c conjecture. So basically he had to do an entire revolution on his own. What Mochizuki did would be equivalent to:

Weil discovering the Shimura Taniyama conjecture, proving it himself immediately, and then proving himself that it implies Fermat.

If Wiles had done that then he would be in the same spot as Mochizuki. No one would have even understood what the fuck was the point of his weird conjecture. Everyone would be asking: What the fuck is this man smoking?

Next time you decide to post something stupid, at least try to have some perspective.

Where did Kedlaya say that?

>I think not having a math background might be beneficial.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahaha
ha ha haaah.... ha.

Why? It is, by many accounts, a whole new paradigm and every professional mathematician has had trouble grasping it initially. I think a black slate might be good. I have some math ability. Also, this is abstract stuff, not complex stuff.

According to Mochizuki himself, the essential prerequisites for the IUTeich papers are:

Semi-graphs of Anabelioids (sections 1 to 6)
The Geometry of Frobenioids I: The General Theory (complete)
The Geometry of Frobenioids II: Poly-Frobenioids (sections 1 to 3)
The Etale Theta Function and its Frobenioid-theoretic Manifestations (complete)
Topics in Absolute Anabelian Geometry I: Generalities (sections 1 and 4)
Topics in Absolute Anabelian Geometry II: Decomposition Groups and Endomorphisms (section 3)
Topics in Absolute Anabelian Geometry III: Global Reconstruction Algorithms (sections 1 to 5)
Arithmetic Elliptic Curves in General Position (complete)
While other sources also recommend:

The Hodge-Arakelov Theory of Elliptic Curves: Global Discretization of Local Hodge Theories
The Galois-Theoretic Kodaira-Spencer Morphism of an Elliptic Curve
A Survey of the Hodge-Arakelov Theory of Elliptic Curves I
A Survey of the Hodge-Arakelov Theory of Elliptic Curves II
Particularly interesting is Fesenko's recent extended remarks on IUT (and learning IUT):

Ivan Fesenko, Arithmetic deformation theory via arithmetic fundamental groups and nonarchimedean theta functions
There's also an introductory paper by Yuichiro Hoshi, but at least for the moment it is avaible in japanese only

Yuichiro Hoshi, Introduction to inter-universal Teichmüller theory
As for the (considerable) gap between Hartshorne and Mochizuki's work, the references on each paper are quite concrete and helpful (see for example the ones on Topics in Absolute Anabelian Geometry I for a good sample).

Poor guy
mathoverflow.net/questions/216184/a-road-to-inter-universal-teichmuller-theory

>this is abstract stuff, not complex stuff.
It's both, actually. By the time you get the prereqs, you will have a math background.

It is a new paradigm but don't take that too literally to mean that not having a math background would be 'beneficial' in any way. At the end of the day it IS a mathematical theory and exists in the context of other mathematical theories. See for a list of prereqs.

The reason why so few people understand it or have taken the time to understand it is that most people who are in a position to understand it are already high level academics who are busy with their own work and unwilling to invest the significant time mochizuki has (rather arrogantly) stated is required to understand his theory. With no guarantee that IUTeich is correct/valid/useful, many academics are reluctant to pause their own work to spend the time to understand mochizuki's. Mochizuki has also been very haughty and dismissive about this and for a long time refused to travel outside of japan to attend conferences where he could explain his theory, despite many requests. So people had to both pause their own work and travel to japan if they were serious about trying to understand mochizuki's work. Therefore few people have done this, understandably.

If you have a blank slate and have a talent for understanding abstract math, I would estimate 5 years, full time, 8+ hours a day of intense studying, to start from the beginning of undergraduate real analysis to get to IUTeich. Not impossible if you have the time, talent, and money to support yourself. Most people are lucky to have one of these three, let alone all three.

Wow. Thanks. This would be a multiyear hobby for sure.

What would be a study path for someone in the level of Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry to understand and study inter-universal Teichmuller (IUT) theory?

>Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry
Just Hartshorne as prerequisite
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm

>but I think not having a math background might be beneficial.
You need to have at least undergrad-level mathematics to even begin. First you need to learn mathematics. So it will take you 15-20 years, most likely.

kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/sokkuri-hausu-link-english.pdf

This is cool. And just with Wolfram I can at least follow along with his metaphors. This is ten times more clear than the pop-math articles I read on it. Our arithmetic universe is just one of many, connected to others where some things get distorted but some things stay the same. Not that I really understand it, but it is a lot better than what the reporters give.

>You need to have at least undergrad-level mathematics to even begin. First you need to learn mathematics. So it will take you 15-20 years, most likely.
Why would I need to know differential equations to learn this? Why would I need to know complex analysis? Is it really that connected?

Here is the Sokkuri Animation. The link is broken.
i.imgur.com/aqzlzL4.gif

Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry
Almost as prerequisite means study undergrad-level mathematics

mathoverflow.net/questions/35288/undergraduate-roadmap-to-algebraic-geometry

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabelian_geometry

>How Long Would It Take For Me To Understand This?
Depends. Are you extremely gifted with mathematical understanding and intuition?
Then you could probably do it within 20 years.

>I am kind of a brainlet
Then you will not.

that's some nice history user

>black slate
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahaha
ha ha haaah.... ha.

Thanks for showing you've read a pop-sci book on FLT. Mochizuki has published papers on anabelian geometry and p-adic analysis since ages. There's been tonnes of work tying the abc conjecture to a wide variety of domains including elliptic curves. The fact that he refuses to put effort into communicating his theory is a huge red flag.

He has done previous work but his four papers on IUTT are what really matters. Those four papers create their own theory.