youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking
youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZjKl-d2Tc&t=22s
youtube.com/watch?v=YT5kI3zJFmA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Creamy chicken and dumplings

Depression Cake
(no eggs, no milk or butter)

Soylent green

White Castle burgers or burgers where people mix onion into the Patty. It happened because beef was scarce and people mixed in onion to make the beef supply stretch out longer.

is that peas on mayo? looks as good as jellied eels with ranch on flatbread.

prolly just a creamsauce

>knows about jellied eels but doesn't know that is either gravy or a cream sauce with the peas
I feel like I might have been baited into replying.

From pic related:

Creamed Spaghetti With Carrots
1 1/2 cups broken spaghetti
3 Tbs margarine
3 Tbs flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups fresh or diluted evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups cooked carrots

Clean and scrape carrots, cut in long, narrow slices and cook until tender in a small amount of salted water. Cook spaghetti until tender (about 25 min) in 3 quarts of boiled water to which has been added 1 1/2 Tbs of salt. Drain. Melt fat, add flour and seasonings and blend thoroughly. Pout in the milk and stir until thick and smooth. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Put one half of spaghetti in baking dish, cover with 1/2 carrots then add 1/2 sauce. Repeat using remaining ingredients. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Whitesauce, most basic stuff.

Niiice, just placed it into my amazon card. Thanks for the tip, user.

>go to Amazon
>take a LOOK INSIDE
>sweet, a table of content

>Chapter 1-11
Yeah, thanks for nothing.

youtube.com/channel/UCRKls2LLMqU-uK2csT6FOKw

Definitely a good read. It not only shows the origins of some foodgore dishes that still hang on in our culture, but also the kind of bullshit (not unlike today) of politicians trying to block food aid to people starving to death out of fear it would undermine the national work ethic.

Here's another:

Liver Loaf
2lbs liver
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 onion
1 cup milk
2 flaked wheat cereal biscuits, crumbled
3 beaten eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 cup tomato ketchup

Let liver slices stand in hot water for 10 min. Drain. Grind with onions, parsley and bacon. Add beaten eggs, crumbs and seasonings and pack into loaf pan. Spread tomato ketchup over top of loaf. Bake one hour at 350 degrees. Garnish with broiled bacon slices.

It's a history book about the food culture of the fucking Great Depression. What did you expect?

A table of contents.

>chop onions
>run through a food processor until they're almost a paste
>roll up onion mince in a clean kitchen towel and wring the juice out, save some of it
>mix into ground beef, adjust consistency with onion juice
>form patties and grill
It's the best I've ever had.

Sounds great, I'll try it next week. Thanks user.

So what is in it other than flour and sugar?

>Cook spaghetti until tender (about 25 min)
Well, it'll certainly be tender after 25 damn minutes.

The table of contents just lists the chapters by number. But I'll give you an overview. It starts with the move from the farm to cities post WWI, covers efficiency experts critiquing the inefficiency of rural living from a culinary point of view, the amount of pork fat in the cuisine of people who burned as much as 4000 calories a day, the kitchenette replacing a proper kitchen in city apartments, the rise of the deli, misguided ideas about nutrition, government pushing milk really hard, fad diets, breadlines, NYC's experiments in food aid, Hoover's being dead set against the government being involved, school lunches, food rotting on farms because the markets all dried up, Cornell's expert advice on diet, the evolution of casseroles as poverty food, riots, Elanor Roosevelt's food austerity in the White house and guidance for the nation, hoboes, WWII breaking out, Vitamin B discovered and a cheap way to synthesize it leading to enriched white bread, Good Housekeeping and the rise of salads, the rise of convenience foods, Republican resistance to the WPA, HL Meneken and Sheila Hibben as American food heroes railing against what Home Economics had done to our cuisine.

That's most of the topics in order. That help?

Just google Depression cake, there are multiple ones you can make. My favourite is the Carrot one.

sweetlittlebluebird.com/2015/10/crazy-carrot-cake-no-eggs-milk-or-butter.html

My sides, haven't even read that due to how obvious the recipe is. That reminds me of the edwardian cookbookes which wanted to be fancy and listed thinks like spaghetti without ever having made them, therefore also writting to cook them such a ridiculous amount of time.

Dear user, I was just beeing silly in my autism because I like the table of contents to have contents in a table. But thank you for listing it, I'll would still have probably bought it.

It was the last time in American history when the shit really hit the fan, and it totally changed how we ate since then. The story of exactly that happened proved more compelling than I expected. I tore through it in three days, and have returned to it many times.

I am surprised that no one posted grandma's YouTube channel.

Join 91 year old grandma and learn to cook depression era meals while listening to her stories.

youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

I'm very interested in the history of european, and therefor as an extension of the american culinary evolution. After getting all the dry facts it gives history it's "sauce", seeing how people handled it and how even chicken feed was made into cloths. I also think that most young people like myself could learn quite a bit from those generations. Living a bit more frugal instead of all this Avocado nonsense due to lacking older grandparents with life skills.

Chicken and dumplings wasn't everydays food but made for special ocsasions, you history pleb. Furthermore there is no reason why just few ingredients should have been used when herbs were free and most people had a vegetable garden from which to pick. Using a bit from all your plants is the way to go.

I'm with you on frugality, but wouldn't pick on avocados as the symbol of what's wrong with the state of today's cooking. I'd point the finger at convenience foods, heat and eat stuff and poor quality industrially processed shit that has totally dumbed down how we eat. Artificial flavorings get a special place in hell. You want to cook as frugally as great grandma? Buy ingredients and cook them into meals.Most of the stuff in the supermarket really doesn't count as ingredients.

Chicken and dumplings was a pretty common dish in American farmhouses in the early part of the 20th Century. Here's an account of a midsummer Midwest farm lunch from A Square Meal:

"With the kitchen garden at full production , the midday meal often included stewed beets, stewed tomatoes, long simmered green beans, boiled corn and potatoes fried in salt pork, all cooked to maximum tenderness. At the center of the table often sat a pot of chicken and dumplings, with cushiony slices of white bread to sop up the cooking broth. The gaps between the plates were filled with jars of chow-chow, onion relish, and pickled peaches, cauliflower and watermelon rinds. The midday meal concluded with a slice of pie. Like bread pies were baked in bulk, up to 12 at a time, and could be consumed at breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Yeah, the whole Avocado thing was mostly due to a business article making fun of young people wasting good dollars on Avocado sandwiches instead to invest them in their future while whinning about not having any money.

And yes, I'm very glad I only buy "raw" food today. Sure here and there some frozen spinach or fish fingers but beeing able to buy everything you need to create a good meal from a farmers market is a great feeling. You really get a new appreciation for the most simple dishes. Especially fresh hand made pasta is so delicious, easy and cheap. Even if you just add a piece of butter, some salt and fresh tomato pieces it's so delicious. We really forgett how good fresh, pure ingredients taste.

> Artificial flavorings get a special place in hell.
In germany we have a thing called "Maggie Würze" which is more or less pure monosodium glutamate. People add that shit into everything without even giving the dish a taste. Soups, whole homemade dishes and even on a piece of good german bread with butter.

Great. It's 11pm on sundays and you made me hungry. I hope you're proud of yourself.

>We really forgett how good fresh, pure ingredients taste.
Especially if you get used to eating artificially flavored heavily processed stuff. Good food simply prepared from quality ingredients still might not seem all that flavorful if you just ate a bag of Doritos washed down with a coke. Which is why so many people have turned away from real food. Not only is the shitty stuff less effort, but its flavor is so exaggerated that real food seems boring by comparison.

That reminds me I have yet to read the Dorito Effect.

>That reminds me I have yet to read the Dorito Effect
>quick google search
Good thing I'll get my shekels tommorow.

My grandma grew up in the Depression.

She would make biscuits and top them with simple syrup.

And eggs.

That was all she ever made for breakfast when I visited her.

And God forbid if you didn't finish every single morsel on your plate.

You mean like sweet pancakes? And additionally eggs?

that's great depression food? oh, I thought it was a british dinner

>White gravy

That's your shitty food, fat boy.

Rip grandma ;________;

>Cumming on bread
>Adding peas

Everything about your post screams Reddit.

Ah, Clara.

The announcement of her passing was one of the most devastating videos on YouTube. I think it would even make Doctor Doom shed a tear.

youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZjKl-d2Tc&t=22s

>It'll make your teeth go grey.

;_____________________;

>flour
>milk
>salt
>water

>will make teeth grey

Are you retarded?

>when she says that if she lives to 100 she will cook a special meal for her audience
>she didn't

Feels sad man. Respect ;_;7

Nah, American biscuits.

And she always had eggs because she raised chickens.

It´s a reference to a youtube series, grandma.

Nice, they do look very fluffy.

I think hoppin' john also counts

I know in my family, something like Plov was very common meal during great depression. My grandfather though made a living traveling by foot between provinces and then states (Canada and US) with his older brother, hunting and selling pelts. The food they ate was whatever they could gather (mushrooms, chives, etc) and the meat from hunted animals.

Shit must have been hard. Something I know I would struggle with today.

That's an example of poverty food done right. You know Home Economists had nothing to do with that dish.

yea doesn't sound half bad
of course, the catch is that hoppin' john is the main dish, it's not served as a side to any meat

I only know of it from Boardwalk Empire, there's loads of nice info like this in there, even old american idioms (not amerifat myself)

think hoppin' john was popular with black folk from down south

also saw these a lot in the show too
if they're similar to dutch butter-cake (boterkoek) then they're quite heavy and soft, but they don't seem very cheap to make; wasn't actual butter rather expensive back then?

Water and highly pitched to keep it fluffy. Like simple vegan cake are made nowadays.

youtube.com/watch?v=YT5kI3zJFmA

>the catch is that hoppin' john is the main dish, it's not served as a side to any meat
Beans and rice can totally be a main dish, and if you're starvation level poor you're not spending money on meat anyways.

I WANT MY DAMN HOPPIN' JOHN

Go to WalMart and buy only Great Values brand!

SLumgullion

Looks like much minced meat and a modern piece of "cheese". Don't think that's a depresssion meal.

Looks like white trash lasagna

There's just a slice of cheese on top.

Slumgullion is pretty much just another name for
beefy mac
american goulash
american chop suey

Yeah but it's not a Depression Dish, user. I'm pretty sure those people didn't had "cheese", so much minced meat and pasta. Trash food for trash people needs not apply.

Prisoner food is prolly closest to depression food.
I hear of some nasty shit that gets steamed in a sock, made from tortilla chips and commissary junk.....

Do you even know anything about the Great Depression?

Pic related, original Fried Cabbage with Bacon.

Old people have told me that chicken was expensive until the 1950s. Something you might have for Sunday dinner. If you lived on a farm, it was something you had once in a while when a hen got too old to lay, or a young rooster got big enough to eat.

>nasty shit that gets steamed in a sock, made from tortilla chips and commissary junk
That shit didn't exist until the postwar boom in America. The kind of convenience and junk food you see in the supermarket didn't exist yet. Hell, the supermarket didn't exist. The closest they had to junk food was bologna, hot dogs, white bread and American cheese.