I'm getting into EE next year. The thing is I know jackshit about what electrical engineers actually do, like...

I'm getting into EE next year. The thing is I know jackshit about what electrical engineers actually do, like, what is a typical day of a typical electrical engineer on a typical EE job like? Can anyone describe it to me, because I have literally no idea what it would be like and I'm going into the field completely blind. I picked it because I like Physics but I also wanted to actually get a decent job, and as a physicist that would be harder. Electrical Engineering sounded like the coolest engineering major so yeah, that's why I picked it. Am I fucked? Will I like it? Do you need a lot of "social skills"? (Because I'm awkward with people (not completely autistic, tho))

EE thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e5v01iAfQvQ
falstad.com/circuit/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Do you need a lot of "social skills"
kek no, but if you want to be successful it's valuable

They write C programs, badly.

You must simply perform the smol EE dance. This is so they are not startled by your presence.

youtube.com/watch?v=e5v01iAfQvQ

Somebody answer because OP is literally me.

I'm half way through my masters degree and know basically nothing about circuits or computers.

falstad.com/circuit/

I've had a couple six-month internships. The first one I was basically an Excel drone because it was my second year of college. The second one has been much more like what I think actual engineering is.

>get to work an hour before everyone else
>fuck around on reddit and tinder
>open outlook at nine and see if anyone needs me
>work on projects and go to meetings for the rest of the day

Typically I had one or two projects at a time. They started out being Excel drone shit, but ended with making the schematic for a board in an upcoming instrument. To do that, I did a lot of SPICE sims and talked to the engineers that were also working on it.

The company I was working for had me mostly on analog design. Depending on who you work for, it'll vary a lot. You could be doing microcontroller circuitry or programming, communications, or analog stuff. There's a lot of variability. The important thing is that you're paid to think. You don't have to spend the entire day writing out equations and shit. You can socialize, mess around on your phone, get coffee, whatever.

How is electronics done? If you can't get hired at more interesting companies than that, you're bad, kid.

t. retard

Prove me wrong?

Someone is going to be making new tablets so it's not technically done. It and material engineering are the majors closest to actually developing hardware.

They fix TVs

> what is a typical day of a typical electrical engineer on a typical EE job like?

-come in to work ~8 am. i usually skype in to morning meetings
-get coffee, spend the first hour or so responding to emails, approving requests, checking the status of purchases/invoices.
-go walk around checking the status of various mcguffins
-look at some charts
-take an hour or so lunch
-read articles and do some cursory research for ideas i might have
-another meeting
-wrap up any paperwork for the day
-hit the gym
-go home

the white collar world isn't "work" the way being a roofer or a cashier is work. you are paid to use creativity and thought and that kind of thing isn't sustainable for the 8 straight hours you are there. you are going to find your fellow engineers spending just as much time shooting the shit and surfing the internet as they are doing actual work. also, you will probably only do "engineering" about once or twice a week.

those "soft skills" like knowing how to write a solid memo or being able to negotiate are actually really useful because you are going to be doing a shitload of it.

i think this is all a bit misleading. research is a grind just like any other. framing the problem, thinking of the ideas, implementing the solution, and collecting data to support all of the above requires time on task.

just like any other job, at the end of the year your boss is going to consider what the fuck you've actually produced, and your ass is going to get let go unless you've already proven yourself by coming up with some good shit in the past (and that might not even save you, depending on the company)

Yeah my dad once told me "being an autismo pays off in school but not at the workplace". He worked with a civil firm for a while and he spent most of his time doing soft skill work, when he was new he would do grunt work. Told me to talk to girls more and to hang out with classmates after classes end, im kind of a neet tho

Please don't go into EE. All of a sudden it seems like all the autists realized CS was a sinking ship so they're all jumping off to EE. You people will ruin this field like you did CS. Please just go major in something else. Go get a meme degree in math or physics or something. Do CE. Do mechanical. Do liberal arts. Just do anything but EE.

??? CS and EE are booming right now as things are all switching to digital. Everyone wants to make electrical cars now including ford and they are gonna hire a bunch of new EEs to replace their not needed MEs and they need CE/EE to write their program shit and brainstorm.

Whoever told you EE was booming was exaggerating, it's not particularly in decline but there aren't a lot of new jobs opening up. My major fear is EE gets overrun with autists like CS. We don't need it. I need competent coworkers, not people we're forced to hire to meet quotas who can't do their job properly and can't interact like a normal person. If you are like that there is no place for you in this career. Hopefully your intro courses filter you out before you get that far.

Too late, already got my associates and I'm making 40k as an entry level industrial programmer. You don't need to blame me for your HR having shit hiring practices and they should be gone soon if they do get hired in if your bosses are worth anything. I get work done so I stick around and get put on projects and even help to solve mechanical problems so I would think that you would want me at your place if I was there.

Then you obviously aren't OP and my comments aren't directed at you if what you claim is true and you aren't actually talking your own skills up.

Why are you so insecure about your shitty little job? Someone who is competent wouldn't lash out like that. Seems like you're a fuck up on the verge of being fired. Why? Incompetence, autism, or both?

Do you see the state of CS right now? This is exactly what will happen to EE if we keep encouraging people to get into the field. Autists, SJWs, pajeets, and worse. If you cared about improving/maintaining the quality of your current job you should be making sound as unattractive as physically possible to ward people off.

Autism

9233172 here, that's not really necessary as there's lots of opportunities available and competent people are needed. In making things sound attractive you attract people yes, but you also offer competition and new opportunities for yourself to lead them if you are worthy. Pajeets come into play if there aren't competent people nearby so the longer there's a competent worker shortage the higher the chance of Pajeets coming.

I have a non disclosure agreement but I can tell you that the company I'm contracted out to just said last week that they were doing a restructuring to be more flexible because they only received 60% of their expected earnings for the entire year since their business model isn't working anymore.

Cringe

>t. average incompetent

Ok, I chuckled

I don't think you're really in EE if you don't know that it's already filled with Indians and autists

This
The field is 45% indian, 25% percent gook, 20% middle eastern, 10% white, and that one black guy
Hardly exagerating

Fair amount of Mexicans too

Like most jobs you'll tend to mostly manage things, write reports etc.

As far as technical stuff goes, I've worked in both Embedded Systems and RF electronics, the former mostly involved writing firmware in C, as well as some digital signal processing knowledge, the latter involved designing analog circuits like filters, mixers and amplifiers that made up parts of larger communication systems. This involves surprisingly little math and physics because large systems are too complex to analyze rigorously, there's a lot of rules of thumb and gut instinct.

It's often hard to find out what engineers in any field ACTUALLY DO partly because there is such a wide variety of stuff out there.

Turns out it’s a lot of writing, telecon, meetings, and office politics. Not a whole lot of solving equations or doing physics problems(which is fine for me, I discovered that I’m not actually good at them around third year of college; but by then I’m done with all the math and science classes)

EE is a wide field, there are people I went to school with that do completely different things I do

You really shouldn't worry about people being retards in the field. I'm one of those idiots that signed on for the memes and got my ass handed to me in the most basic courses. I didn't expect it to be easy, but I spent more of my time in school getting high and shitfaced than actually studying.

Just try and remember that some of us do learn from our mistakes and improve our habits or abandon interest in the field. I like to think I've learned enough to go back into the grind without making the horrid mistakes I did back then. Not every brilliant mind in the sciences was successful at first, and many were not even first in their class when they graduated. Others, who were apprentices when engineering wasn't even considered worthy of being featured in academia, were not even under the tutelage of the best innovators of their time. In the end it came down to a willingness to learn or risk facing the somber realization that stubbornness produces mediocrity.

They suck cock all day like every other engineer

EE here, can confirm. everytime I write firmware for a MCU I wonder how much better it would be if I actually knew what I was doing.

that is rad as shit

Cuz give up now. I'm an electrical engineering student and I don't know the difference between voltage and current. Everyday I pray for the sweet release of death.

Last semester we had to write a shit ton of libraries and code for an MCU project. Felt more like CS than actual engineering, was good fun though, even though I pretty much picked EE because I absolutely despised programming before. You accept and adapt or just go into MechE like all the other computer illiterate faggots who nauseated at the minuscule amount of Matlab work for one of our common courses.

>graduating with BSEE in May.

EE has many options. My university requires a course concentration in at least one of the fields. The fields my school offers are: Control Systems, Communications and Networks, Digital Systems, Electromagnetics and Optics, Electronics, and Power Systems.

If you enjoy the physics field I would recommend you looking into electromagnetics or communications those two are, in my opinion, the heaviest in physics, an example of a subset of the two is antenna theory, has extreme vector calculus and magnetic signal theory.
If you just wanna work at a power plant and get paid doing as little as possible, power systems.
Controls and digital systems is more robotics and automation systems.
Electronics is related to circuit development, weather it's the transistor design and research or just board creation.

I'm going into controls and automation.
I believe the most difficult field is the electromagnetics because it involves so much physics.

Hopes that helps.
Also no matter what field you focus you'll be paid well. It's an amazing degree for a bachelors.

First step to success in EE is to stop posting anime on a science board.

School is nothing like work. You’ll be expected to know how to code like the CS and CPE, but you most likely won’t know much past basic C. Do internships, keep a high GPA, realize 99% of the shit you’ll be learning is mostly irrelevant and it’s more about the engineering mindset, a foundation, and your specialty.
>new jobs aren’t opening up
EE has one of the best job outlooks for the coming years.

Agreed, with just Automation set to be involved in over 80% of all fields in the next few decades, EE jobs will boom.
Not to mention we all will always need electricity haha