Going to college in the age of youtube, MIT courseware, coursera and online education

>going to college in the age of youtube, MIT courseware, coursera and online education

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lfYot1IsqCM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

College=creating a network

>what is the internet

you aren't going to get fucked on the internet

Why do americans call university college? Wtf is up with that. In my country they are 2 separate things.

Resume
>watched YouTube video on scientific subject
>print out browser history as proof
Hang that on your office wall

>he needs a degree to do humanities shit
ayy lmao

What you refer to as college is what Americans refer to as community college, or it can even refer to a trade school depending.

A university is a collection of colleges. We're generally lazy and college is only two syllables, so there it is.

>not leeching off your parents for an extra 4 years while getting a free certification in a high-paying field and writing your breakout novel
Sucks to be poor, eh?

Because they're not 2 separate things in America. Was that too hard for you to infer?

Stefan?

youtube.com/watch?v=lfYot1IsqCM

Good lucky trying to explain that in a job interview

>yeah bro, i'm basically an MD, i've watch a bunch of youtube videos about doctoring

You generally can't use people you met online as references for jobs.

Well it's easier to get a job if you got a degree and university is free and you get money for studying(in the first world).

I think the thing people need to realize and understand about college is that it's ok to have different opinions about it, though it's pretty clear that going to college for some things will not be as rewarding as others.

If you're passionate about subjects in regards to building your cities and countries forward through technical means college will almost always be great for that.

Many times the people who make fun of college and students are the ones that either:
>Have gone to college already for subjects that don't really need it (English, Philosophy, etc.) and have realized this after becoming trapped into paying bills those careers have trouble paying for
or
>Don't realize that college is more than just paying tons of money to stare at boards. It includes the entire experience with the personal connections made that will benefit students through time

That's not to say that it's completely useless for some subjects, however. An English major, perhaps, can use college like anons have explained to gain those personal connections and establish social lives for outside of writing and working. It is, however, wasted in the sense that everyone can be a writer just my sitting at home or anywhere and practicing and reading. You don't need to pay absurd amounts of money for that kind of experience, and most of the time a writer's pay just isn't going to cover it like an engineer's can.

>online
>education
be honest, pick one.

How do you have the time to start these threads every day and spend every waking hour responding while keeping up the high-paying job you got without a degree?

What are you going to do that doesn't require a degree?

teach tennis

Kek! I wish you all the best, and yes I am very happy that you didn't wind up going to uni to study tennis.

It's free in America if you're actually smart. The only excuse for paying tuition is if you're rich and go to a top-tier private university.

Why do you make these threads every day?

I hope you remember that time you jokingly tried to justify your degenerate neet lifestyle when your parents kick you out and you try to tell perspective employers you got a 4.0 from Khan Academy.

8/10 got me annoyed enough to reply despite being so obvious

Didn't get into college, nothing better to do.

There is a point here, though.

If you're studying literature, all you really need are books (including access to a research database) and someone who is qualified to determine that your paper is up to academic standards and isn't plagiarized. There's not a whole lot of reason to live in an overpriced dorm and buy overpriced textbooks when ebooks and the possibility of YouTube/Skype lectures exist.

College has never been about gaining knowledge, it was a place to enlighten oneself and make royal connections

kekd

>mfw i dropped out of school at 17 and have been making six figures since i have been 20.
>mfw my money makes me money now and I can read and travel for the rest of my life without working for some else

god it feels good to be patrish as fuck.

This would actually be more pathetic if it were true. Can you imagine someone in that position who still felt compelled to shitpost on Veeky Forums?

thx im making $40/hr :)

im never leaving this shithole.

>getting paid by the hour

what is tinder?

youll spend the rest of your life working, you dumb wagecuck. college is an opportunity to spend 4 years learning things, dicking around, and oggling qts in the quad. never, EVER consider abandoning that gift of western society

This dude is the biggest retard. So arrogant too. He's probably convinced himself that his infinitely receding hairline lends him some kind of credibility.
Fucking big head know it all talking like his stupid opinions matter.

Where are you employed, and in what field?

>three years into college and no friends
>scared of making a LinkedIn
haha...

It's kind of funny because based on past studies, people who have college degrees generally make more money than people without degrees. Sure, you can cherry pick and find people who didn't go to college and make a lot of money, but that's not the point. People in the comments are literally saying "Charles Darwin and Ben Franklin didn't go to college, so why should I?!" It's pretty absurd how delusional they are.
Many of these people supporting this guys views are bound to be making less money in the future. College dropouts and people who didn't go to college generally are more likely to become walmart night stockers or something like that. Better yet, they might even make to a management position at walmart after a decade or two.

>I'm not going to college!!
>I'll show em by making my own business
>I'll be a millionaire when I'm the CEO an awesome business!!

Good luck, you goofy shits.

although i've seen the life time earnings charts by education and it shows that a masters isn't really worth it, it only gives u a marginal bump in lifetime earnings, but between no degree and degree it's like night and day, a bachelors (in anything including humanities) will drastically increase your earnings potential over a lifetime. the problem with grad degrees is it's very much like your thing about people thinking they will drop out and get rich starting a business, grad degree is the same "i will get a phd in computer science and become the lead engineer in charge of google search like udi manber and be rich rich rich!" no actually u will get a phd and do the same programming job that some kid with a bachelors from a slightly better school does in the cubicle next to you while do occasional intro to computer science classes as an adjunct at the local state uni etc.

forgot link. was referencing Stefan's vid

Molyneaux has a BA from McGill and a Masters from Toronto (and some training in theater) but he tells you not get an education...poor fools who believe this redpill crap

actually laughed