Why haven't you read the greatest living author of all time, Joseph Mcelroy?

Why haven't you read the greatest living author of all time, Joseph Mcelroy?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.co.uk/books?id=DCBbAAAAMAAJ
youtube.com/watch?v=SWi8_mmSqeQ
jstor.org/stable/pdf/24514809.pdf
jstor.org/stable/pdf/1207862.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Night Soul was alright.

My library doesn't have any other of his works tho

I can only get Smuggler's Bible, W&M and The Letter Left To Me. Which do I read first lads?

Both Smugglers Bible and W&M sound great and i canny decide.

Smugglers bible. Women and men calls upon things a few things laid out in his previous novels so I would save that for later.

>greatest living author
>of all time

wat

Our*

Well that's solid enough advice. I'll do that.

books.google.co.uk/books?id=DCBbAAAAMAAJ

how do you download a whole book on google books if the only bits you can see are when you search certain words

i need to reeeaaaaad hinds kidnap

It sounds like his best book. I also want to read it.

me too but its also his rarest

is it pronounced mac elroy or mackleroy

My pet rat is reading w&m rn. Apparently it's really gud.

Because his books are out of print, you fucking mongrel cretin.

By all means mail me a copy of Lookout Cartridge at a fair rate.

Many of them are being rereleased in the coming months. Actress in the house and W&M are getting reprints

This pls. Free me from my suffering

Nice ratto, shoutout /an/ nation

I thought I'd hate rats, but now that I have them I realise what a mistake I made. They're literally just pocket sized dogs, they're so loving.

dzanc are fucking jews everyone knows this. they promised reprints with the release of cannonball which is nearly four years old.

They aren't that expensive on abebooks. You can get most for $5 plus shipping.

>plus shipping

Meh, it's not that great. Now, Actress in the House and Cannonball: those are his best.

Wrong! Smugglers bible and ancient history are, you stupid fucking faggot. Kill yourself. Everyone knows his newer books aren't as good. God why do I even come here.

Is that book on water ever coming out?

I think so

I refuse to read him until someone provides an answer to this question

Mic elroy you stupid fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=SWi8_mmSqeQ

wrong

>le author's first two books are better than the rest meme

I bet you think that's true of Pyncheon and Gaddis as well.

lookout cartridge isnt getting rereleased and im looking at ~$100 CAN for it

fuck you

his other books don't sound interesting whatsoever

Woah wtf dude I got mine around Christmas time for $10 on abebooks. None of them were this expensive Is going on.

None of his books 'sound good'. Just try a cheap copy of Smugglers bruh.

LMAO you stupid faggot

McCarthy

There's an ebook you fucking moron

Has anyone else on this board read WnM and want to talk about it with me? Or even people wanting to ask any questions who are reading it/wanting to read it. I've spent a good amount of time reading up on old Joey

ebooks dont count as reading

McElroy
it is Mc not Mac

refer to this

What's the deal with the Hermit inventor of New York?

please help me

Can't tell if you're joking but if not what's your personal ranking of Gaddis' novels?

It's a few things, you have a sort of dualism with the hermit inventor and the anzazi weatherman, who's a more mystical figure and immortal, whereas the hermit inventor is reborn every other generation as a nephew. The hting about WnM is that things build out of a sort of mythology complete with reincarnations and avatars, so the Hermit popped up more than a few times (telling the grandma to go west while also telling Jim about the final more sci-fi setup). Try to attach notions of puritan seculaism (if such a concept exists) to the hermit, thinking of him as the creator of newyork as well as an image of our salvation (i mean jesus was an inventor). WnM will try to reconcile seemingly opposing forces a lot: the earth and the sky, faith and reason, men and women.

more on this "reconcilliation" I think there is at least one point where the hermit inventor becomes Jim or the weatherman, this is another thing WnM will do a lot, merging two objects or diverging the histories of one object into two (think the pistol that's been passed around in Jim's family only to show up among some hicks living outside his home). So there will be times where you can assign the role of the inventor to Jim, the guy by the statue of liberty who tells his grandma to go west, or even Jim. (or his brother)

He has to be joking

Holy fuck this sounds complicated.

Ever time I see OP's picture my skin crawls looking at that sticker residue.
For fuck's sake clean that shit off and use different picture.

Invest in a bottle of Goo Gone, guys, this shit removes all sticker gunk and won't damage the book.
This shit works miracles.

Those aren't even my books haha

i think the reason why w&m intimidates me is because there isnt a huge amount of commentary on it (as there is for pynchon, gaddis, gass etc) the only secondary material is a couple of odd essays and posts like this on here/goodreads

for what it's worth there ARE some resources that I found super useful. If you're at a place that gives JSTOR access there are a couple interviews with McElroy that sort of dig into his process a little more, as well as another essay I really like that explores his (as well as gaddis, pynchon, ect) obsession with "excesss." I'll see if I can attach the links to a reply.

Here's a nice little interview that was done after WnM:

jstor.org/stable/pdf/24514809.pdf

And here's the more critical essay I mentioned:

jstor.org/stable/pdf/1207862.pdf

this is really good, thanks user

It isn't simple, but there is a lot of fun to be had. Some of the short story pieces in the work rank among the best stuff I've ever read.

Alright so I read ancient history and it was dope. He had a bit of science in it that went over my head but didn't effect the book. It was still great. After I read about that science and it made sense. Can I read women and men and maybe not understand some of it and still have a good time?

cheers, let me know if you guys wanna discuss anything in particular

I actually haven't read Ancient History but if you're already a fan of his style then go for it. Just go in with a good amount of patience and time to spend on it. There are some sections (one that comest to mind is this 100 page plus sequence on a prisoner written in this incredibly fragmented and barely connected style) that your'e just going to end up having to read twice. The book has this insane frantic energy about it too that you have to trust. Off of the top of my head I remember this part where it makes some obscure allusion or reference and then in the next sentence says something like "wait what did that even mean? what you just said" which was followed by a "it doesn't matter we have to keep moving forward." This little dialogue is pretty indicative of what to expect desu. Read slowly then quickly and don't worry too much about the science science aspects. McElroy is a little less technical than someone like say Pynchon (but also somehow still a lot more dry)

Well I will be reading his other novels and waiting patiently for women and men to come into print. When it does I will read it asap. I really liked the style. It was an excersise in style. Good stuff.

It's pronounced in DJ jargon user, as in
MC-Elroy (emcee - elroy)

what did he mean by this?

so if read and greatly enjoyed ancient history what should I read next?

price isnt an object because i think my uni library has all of his stuff, even w&m

check out my earlier post

ancient history has plenty of nonsense jargon you just ignore, and it all comes from the present tense narration. the work is also extremely fragmented, its literally cut in half

so it doesnt sound that different

You don't know what DeeJays and eMCees are? Like MC Ren and DJ Yella?

Why do Americans put their used toilet paper in baskets?

I already have.

fair, but I'd be a little careful of the whole "it's experimental and by the same author so it's the same idea." ASB is completely different from LC which is leagues away from WnM. McElroy uses a lot of the same material as inspiration but uses it a differently especially in the case of narration. We have floating disconnected narration in Plus and a much more clamorous interweaving narrator in WnM for example.

and, to further elaborate, our relationship (as a reader) and the text is what this idea of fragmenting or isolating or corrupting narration is all about. Depending on where we stand in relation to the text, its references to science/history/Hamlet/economics are framed within that narrators perspective. When we get narrators sort of clashing, as with Jim and the boy (the one with his mom being cucked by a lesbian and who's taking economics in WnM) come into contact the text itself has a jarring quality to sort of 'signal' this clash or collision of perspective.

SB, on the other hand, is similarly fragmented but the pieces are a lot more isolated and only accidentally interact with each other, whereas in WnM there's a 'desperation' to the excess. (And all of this is flipped on its head in Plus, which works well as sort of an antithesis of what McElroy does best).

beckett isnt fucking french

Anybody read Hind's Kidnap? What's it like? All I know is that it's expensive and has a beautiful cover. Also would be helpful.