Who are your favorite writers in the hard sciences?

There are many technically sound but stylistically mediocre authors. Not all practitioners make good teachers.

What was one book that endeared itself to you for its clarity or style? Maybe it really opened up a certain field to you.

I'm trying to improve my writing and I'm looking for good role models.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum
explorer.opensyllabusproject.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good: Milnor, Serre, Koblitz, Manin

bad: Lang, Rudin

Feynman is a god. Maybe the greatest lecturer ever. There's a ton of his stuff on youtube and you should watch it.

I think in terms of mathematical writing Henry McKean is my favorite author I've read.
His writing reminds me of listening to that one ancient crotchety professor in every math department.

He's not. His stuff is shit for any real study.

Munkres obv

Will he survive to publish TACOP completely?

Rick Durett (probability)

no

fpbp.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations#Required_Reading

I always enjoy reading Ed Witten papers

I wonder. Is there a guide on how to become a world-class computer scientist?

Something like this?
staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

something like this?
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum

Thanks.

The above linked guide boasts to have a goal of inspiring nobel prize worthy theoretical physcicists.

I guess a computer scientist might have to study more related math (or hardware related topics) to reach an ACM award or at least have a chance at leaving an impact?

Also:

This link seems helpful too:
explorer.opensyllabusproject.org/

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Introduction to Topology and Modern Analysis by George F. Simmons.

I don't really care if the science in science fiction is hard or soft. What I do care about is that it is fully fleshed out and makes sense in its well-defined universe. Here's my list based on that criteria,

E. E. "Doc" Smith
Robert A. Heinlein
Michael Crichton
Liu Cixin
Stephen Baxter
Alastair Reynolds
Arthur C. Clarke
Joe Haldeman
Ernest Cline (haven't read 'Armada' yet though so I'm on the fence still)

>tfw this is the best post ITT because everyone is all non-fiction bullshit

science fiction != hard sciences

Figures there was too much autism ITT for that joke.

This is a science and mathematics board. Not fantasy/scifi genre fiction shit, we are not man-children here, just children. The thread is about textbooks. You need to go back to your it was a joke!! omg ur so autisticc !! i am aschually really funnny
>I was merely pretending to be retarded
In any case, it was an unfunny shitpost, make it funny or leave. Otherwise you're just actively reducing the quality of this board, hence my hostility.

>codemonkey shite
>hard science

Hardass.

he's 79. Not a chance.

No.
It really sucks how you're reading Vol. 1, and you come upon cross references like pic related, but then you realize those chapters are in another volume, and even worse, that volume hasn't even been written yet.
He's only up to chapter 7.2.2.2.
I wonder who (if anyone) will complete it after he dies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming

Kim Stanley Robinson

Now I'm just sad... Apparently he had planned to make seven volumes, but he might not even finish Volume 4 before he passes