What's the oldest recipe you've ever followed?

Pic from 1910

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.lomion.de/Mittelalterrezepte/fleisch/gerstkraut.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYTuNXq1eBk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopolium
youtube.com/watch?v=NRRULZe0CdU
youtube.com/watch?v=IN03MUqeUa4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thread with potential

Bump

I make batman batter french toast all the time, it's actually really good

I make porridge every day for breakfast
recipe: boil water then add porridge
this recipe has to be hundreds of years old if not thousands

the one where I take a slab of animal flesh and heat it over fire

Web search "medieval cookbook" and you'll find some interesting stuff. Almond milk was used extensively where available.

I've done stuff that predates agriculture, but I didn't use recipes.

Epyterum. Recipe from Cato's De Agricultura:
Pitted, chopped green and black olives
Mix with olive oil, vinegar, coriander, cumin, fennel, rue, and mint.
Serve with bread, in a pot with a layer of oil on top.

it's basically spiced, "fresher"-tasting tapenade.

might make this for dinner

Those are probably going to be the oldest formal recipes you can find. I remember hearing somewhere that people only started to actually write out recipes and make cookbooks around that time period.

i got an old recipe from the ny times probably from the 40's. its an actual clipping. we use it when we hunt duck in the winter. its pretty good, just brown gravy with a lot of onions. ill have to pull it out and take a pic later

>breakfast for dinner
>mom would call it topsy turvy
i love my mom but those were my least favorite dinners

my mom makes cheesecake from a recipe from the 1930s

Romans did it, as did the Chinese.

flour
salt
water

I make mine without the salt because I'm not a sweaty manual laborer :^)

you do automatic labor huh

My cup of water recipe is 10,000 years old.

A pancake recipe from the late 1800's. It's a good one, I made them often when I was a kid. I should copy my old favorites from that book next time I go to my mom's house.

No idea. I've read up on various historical accounts of food like some on Ancient Rome and Greece, Native American, Gaelic, Aboriginal, and Medieval foods of all sorts and done some stuff out of that. I guess the most ancient type of dish I've ever done is cooking on heated campfire rocks. Must have made momma Grugg proud.

Medieval beef stew

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.lomion.de/Mittelalterrezepte/fleisch/gerstkraut.html

>followed

I don't follow, I lead,
all you betas be jelly

It's muuuuuch older than that, famalam

Take clene whete and bete it small in a morter and fanne out clene the doust, enne waisthe it clene and boile it tyl it be tendre and broun. anne take the secunde mylk of Almaundes & do erto. boile hem togidur til it be stondyng, and take e first mylke & alye it up wi a penne. take up the porpays out of the Furmente & leshe hem in a dishe with hoot water. & do safroun to e furmente. and if the porpays be salt. see it by hym self, and serue it forth.

Fucking alpha

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYTuNXq1eBk

Si. Yo soy un programador.

Found the book on Amazon. I should just buy my own copy, I don't want to take my scanner out of my apartment or do a lot of writing.

>The chad recipe

Yeah but the majority of Romans lived in shitty apartments without kitchens and ate fast food every day. No, seriously. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopolium

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopolium
>Implying roman fast foods were in any way comparable to fast food

so basically like the entirety of non-flyover anywhere?

All of these guys vids are kickass. He essentially LAPS as a 17/1800s cook and has good times.

youtube.com/watch?v=NRRULZe0CdU
youtube.com/watch?v=IN03MUqeUa4

>pic from 1910
They didn't have internet back then, dumbass

Duck is delicious, bet that's pretty good