Southern Food

What's your favorite Southern cuisine dish?

Deep fried butter.

Blackened catfish with jalapeno cornbread

Chicken fried steak and eggs with hash browns in a bath of cholula.

I like chicken fried steak too, but with mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables.

A properly done shrimp po-boy and some coleslaw, but that might just be me getting hungry for lunch.

i had shrimp and grits, that was good. i really cant think of much else southern that i like. i didnt care for hush puppies, chicken and waffles, or catfish really. not my think i guess. i do like white bbq sauce tho on pork

One of the very few things I will not make for myself at home due to self control concerns

Ham hock w/ black eyed peas, cornbread, collard greens, and a mint julep.

NCfag reporting in. Cornbread that is savory and not sweet with country ham is my favorite. I've only seen yankees make sweet cornbread.

NC is barely even southern

remove hot sauce
add white gravy

I really like boudin balls. They're great with beer.

NC is about as North as you can go and still be in the South. You're thinking of Maryland and some parts of Virginia.

Banana pudding is so damn good, thank you for reminding me of this food

Iowa isn't southern.

This is my favorite too.

Of course the steak comes drowned in gravy.

Nah, Indiana is as far north as the south goes.

My granny's cornbread

>Johnnycake.
My family is from Texas and Oklahoma but I was born in Michigan. We found a bad ass BBQ joint nearby with real cornbread and they changed the god damn recipes to fit nothern tastes.
I like both kinds but I'll be damned if johnnycake can pass as cornbread.

I love Southern breakfasts.

The only problem is deciding which carb to choose from.

There's so many good options between grits, biscuits, potatoes, toast...

Gumbo

Virginia country ham, black eyed peas, spinach with onion and red pepper and a side of corn bread.

stewed beans and cornbread

>favorite Southern cuisine dish?
>dish

That's impossible to say.

BBQ is great. ALL of it. Between ribs, chicken, pork, or brisket, how can you choose just one? Then you've got the Cajun trifecta of gumbo, jambalaya, and etoufee to choose from as well? No fucking way. Hell, the breakfasts alone are hard enough to choose from with shit like country ham, biscuits and gravy, or shrimp and grits, there's just no way to pick only one dish.

THIS fuck the dirty spic sauce give me that gravy dawg

Low-Country Boil

>Indiana
That's a laugh. They weren't even part of the Confederacy. What you're doing is confusing the presence of rednecks with being part of the South. Rednecks come from all over the country, friend. Some of them are Southern, some Northern, a fuckload of them are Midwestern, hell there's even some on the West Coast.

Fuck yes.

Hell fucking yes!

>Tfw trying biscuits and gravy at a new diner

It's always the fucking bomb, or a huge ass disappointment.

hushpuppies, biscuits + gravy, crawfish boil, southern bbq

WNCfag here, born in nawlins

>low country boil
>biscuits and sausage gravy
>bojangle's
>salt n vinegar Laura Lynn pork rinds
>hushpuppies
>gumbo
>crawdad étouffée
>deep fried cookie dough
>pic related, but freshly made
>literally any part of a pig smoked over bourbon-soaked hickory chips over 12 hours
>ranch + papa johns pepperoni pizza
>carolina reapers
>tony chachere's
>any savory cornbread made by a 70-year-old obese black woman who happens to be baptist and had her husband die

divinity because nostalgia
similarly but fried okra instead of roasted vegetables
I've been playing around with pandowdy a lot. It's really more of an East coast thing, but they seem to have forgotten about it while places in the south are still all about it.

>eating nigger poorfag food for dumbshits
Probably nothing

I found the missing stick

>Low-Country Boil

So why is your pic crawfish boil? Low country boil has shrimp and sausage. There's no crawfish around here,

t. low country resident

>fried okra

I just recently tried this and damn was it good. Okra isn't common here, but hopefully I'll find some one day and fry them myself.

What if

hear me out, man, ok?

What if you put hot sauce

Okay?

ON the gravy?

Huh? Huhhh??

Breakfast: Eggs and Grits with sausage, ham or bacon, hot sauce and sawmill gravy

Dinner/Supper: Nashville Hot Chicken with white bread and dill pickles, coleslaw, stewed greens and iced tea

Bar Food/Snack: Fried pickle spears. green tomatoes or okra

Dessert: Lane Cake

I'm also partial to cornbread and shrimp/andouille gumbo.

>There are no crawfish around here
Yes, there are. They are in the creeks. You are right that they are not a common ingredient for frogmore stew / LCB though.

sketti n butter

White gravy isn't good, stop trying to convince me it is. Grits are amazing, stop trying to convince me they aren't.

t. a guy who visited the south exactly once.

I'm Mexican and this nigger KNOWS

Blackberry Pie
Mint Julep
Sweet Potato Fries
Fried Okra
Chicken and Dumplings

I'm from South Carolina. I've been vegan since I started college, but as a child my mom made a lot of greasy, delicious southern cooking. My favorite meal that she would make was fried gizzards, grits with all the fixings, and fried okra.

I think if I tried to eat a plate like that now, the grease would put me in a coma. Luckily most of my family eats healthier now.

The basis of most Southern food is Scots-Irish.

Stfu.

Fried Chicken Liver
A side of Dirty Rice and Mac and Cheese too

Spaghetti with a strong helping of sugar is a Southern classic!

red beans and rice
gumbo
crawfish/shrimp berl
turkey neck
boudin
po boy

delicious

Nigger detected

I was dating a girl one time and she wanted me to have dinner with her and some of her friends. What I didn't realize is that her friends were making dinner and were super poor. They made a huge pot of spaghetti, drained the water out, and started adding ketchup and sugar. See, I didn't know this was actually a thing people did. Though it was gross as fuck, I ate every bit they put in front of me and thanked them for it. I was tempted to buy them some real groceries or something for next time but we broke up pretty soon after that for reasons unrelated to the sketti.

Protip: southern MD is more northern than Northern MD

Had a roommate from the south who dumped like 3 cups of sugar into the pot of spaghetti we were making. I wanted to stab him in the face.

Thing I order most down here, smoked wings.

Traditional 'southern'- hoppin john

>shit that never happened

The DC effect I would assume? The same way it has affected northern Virginia.

>choosing

On the money. Grew up in Bethesda, MD which is very close to DC. My parents are in PR but both grew up near Hagerstown in the 60s and 70s. Very Southern and conservative mindsets, which made for some hilarious antics growing up. Watching my mom try to understand wtf gluten free was in the early 2000s and shit. Or my dads friends simultaneously realizing he voted for Bush twice at a dinner party.

What kind of cuckold even bothers with artichokes when they're surrounded by crawfish, sausage, potatoes, corn, and junk drinks?

>hating on artichokes

Fuck you and fuck your whole family. Artichokes are as delicious as they are impractical to eat.

me

Indiana is more southern than Virginia

You gotta stick with the poor girls. They're easy to please because you don't have to buy them much and they can't complain

>mac and cheese with a bloated crepe

For me, it's the Hawaiian Burger, the best southern sandwich, from America's southern most state.

Nashville hot chicken

Can't afford pasta sauce but can afford ketchup and sugar? What does them being poor have to do with anything. That girl was just literally retarded.

Euro who used to date a Southern AmeriNigress from the Lowcountry here.

Biscuits and tomato gravy, shrimp and gravy with grits (it's basically the same thing as something from back home, just with different type of shellfish since we use riverprawns instead of shrimp), biscuits and white "gravy," stove top mac and cheese (different recipe for stove top v oven baked; oven baked had eggs in it), cornbread for pork rinds in it, fried okra, pickled okra, shrimp and okra (basically LC simplified version of gumbo), perloo (shrimp and rice with or without okra) and dirty rice (chicken liver, gizzards and boneless thighs ground together and cooked with aromatics and rice). Also fried shrimp.
The family couldn't fry chicken to save their life, though, my ex included.

>Indiana
>The South

Is Europe trying to post about the American Civil war? Newsflash you fucking clown, nope.

You're going in time out.

I lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois, and I can confirm Indiana definitely feels like the South. As does Ohio.

I mean technically I guess slavery wasn't legal but that was 150 years ago and things change in 150 years. There are confederate flags all over Indiana and everyone drives a pickup truck covered in racist bumper stickers. It's definitely more southern than northern.

I live in Wisconsin. Now. I lived in Indiana for 10 years.

I also lived in Kentucky for 2 years. People from Indiana work tractors and are kind of "redneck". That's pretty much it. As far as southern culture, cuisine, or anything else they are different. Maybe hospitality is the only common virtue.

So what is your context for "the South" if the only places you've ever lived are 3 northern Midwest states? How can you say something feels like the South when you don't even know what the South feels like?

Indiana and Ohio do not feel like the South.

Did I say those are the only places I've ever lived? Or did you just assume because you've lived in the same place all your life? You probably don't even have a passport.

Those are contrasting examples of states in the Midwest I've lived, and, traditionally, Indiana has been considered "Midwest".

The reason it's relevant is that southerners are always trying to argue over who is the most southern. Obviously if South Carolina isn't the "real south" according to someone from Mississippi, then Indiana might as well be Denmark as far as they're concerned.

But the opinions of Southerners are irrelevant, and as far as the rest of us are concerned, Indiana is basically the South.

Did you really just say that Southerners' opinions on whether or not they're actually Southerners or others are Southerners is irrelevent? Really? You do know there's a difference between rednecks and Southerners, right? Most Southerners are indeed rednecks, but most rednecks are not Southerners. For shit's sake, there're rednecks in Alberta.
Not even a Southerner (or American, for that matter), but what the shit.

>Indiana feels like the South
Literally no one considers Indiana the south. Maybe the Midwest will take you

That's a lot of text with no substance. The mason Dixon line is the bare minimum requirement to be Southern so you can fuck off

>But the opinions of Southerners are irrelevant, and as far as the rest of us are concerned, Indiana is basically the South.

Yeah, we get it, you hate southerns. But I think they know more about what is southern than "the rest of us"

>what is your context for "the South"

If you live in a state that fought in the great war of northern aggression for the confederate states of America, then you're in the south. Period.

PO' BOYS

>boiled peanuts
>0 results
what the fuck

fuck me that pie looks amazing. Ive never actually had "blackberry pie". How does it rank as far as other pies?

>non-seadfood po boy

I know this is ok but it's never going to feel ok

A non-seafood po'boy isn't a po'boy. It's just a sandwich.

Fried gator is best poboy

Red beans and rice.

K dumb faggots. Same restaurant.
Very nice of them to offer tri tip.
Blackened Shrimp>Fried btw

When I lived in Nashville I'd go this tiny little shack place called Moe's and get the greatest catfish po boy of all time.

That and the Nashville style hot chicken have stuck with me.

Just because some yank restaurant owner labels his roast beef sandwiches po boys doesn't make it true kid

This.
>Calls it a po-boy
>Serves it on a hoagie
>Doesn't even serve Barq's in a glass bottle

Look at this greasy crap and compare it to this

Only a retarded restaurant owner would exclude chicken, pork, and beef when Po- Boy's are their major selling point.
Stop being a flyover. Stop being stupid.

So you admit it's a marketing play. I think we're done here

Tri-Tip Po Boy's genuinely taste better than Fried Shrimp Po Boy's.
Try em sometime.

>Blackened catfish & softshell crab poboys will forever be the best tho.

I will try it sometime but I will not acknowledge it as anything more than a roast beef sandwich

texture is much different than roast beef quite frankly.
Crispier and more savory. The Head Chef would BBQ and smoke his tri-tip.

Biscuits and gravy.

My non southern GF was befuddled I know how to make it. Her gravy experience involved powders.

I'm from Ohio and live in KY.

Indiana and Ohio are loaded with rednecks but are not southern at all. In Ohio's case a lot of rednecks have moved back and forth for work from KY.

Collard greens by far