The infinite scale of the universe really fucks me up. For example...

The infinite scale of the universe really fucks me up. For example, the relativistic size of an atom and VY Canis Majoris completely sends me over the edge.

When I hear that an astronomical body like a galaxy cluster has the approximate mass of a quadrillion suns, it really rustles my jimmies while simultaneously turning me on, somehow.

I am looking for more shocking facts about the universe, statistics, or recent discoveries that will make my brain crash in a similar way.

Red-pill me with science please.

What is light?

nobody really fucking knows and that is why I am depressed, but also intrigued

Oscillations in the electromagnetic field, akin to sound being vibrations in an atmospheric field

A miserable pile of secrets

is light everywhere?

But also particles

How would you know that?

No, it isn’t. Dark energy/matter makes up most of the universe and doesn’t reflect any light. Like the way sound doesn’t exist in a vacuum, there are no photonic oscillations inside dark energy, where it’s possible there is no EM field

I’m not so sure photons can be defined as particles in even the most generic sense when you think about the fact that they have no mass whatsoever

I'm the conundrummer, in a band called lifepuzzler

Light has momentum and the mass of neutrinos might even be zero.

Well, i might be wrong about neutrinos but gluons has no mass

I dunno. Reading about baryogenesis makes me think that photons are just energy fluctuations in the EM field that, when sufficiently charged, spontaneously produce quantum particles. Gluons are potentially the same type of fluctuation but they happen in more specific scenarios, like when there is sufficient potential for weak force interactions between the aforementioned particles

Shooting from the hip desu tho

>weak force
strong force*

My bad

>Red-pill me with science please.
>I want to be a scientist, rather than spend time researching information.
Oh, the (pic related)

The lifespan of supermassive black holes really fucks with me. They can radiate away energy, but they do it so slowly that they are among the coldest objects possible. The current dim afterglow of the big bang is still tens of billions of times stronger than the radiation that they put out, so none of them are losing mass in this way currently and they won't start for many many many times the currrent age of the universe.

When they do start to evaporate,it will happen so slowly that it hurts me to try to understand. Imagine you started waiting on this,and to pass the time, you started counting each atom in a piece of gravel,one atom counted per year of waiting. trillions and trillions of years pass. you finally finish counting the gravel's atoms. The black hole has changed so immeasurably slightly in mass that even your most sensative detectors return a null result. You become more ambitious. you count every atom in the universe. This is a number that eats away a good chunk of a page with zeros. "Now my labor is surely done" you think, and turn to the black hole,only to scream in amazement and despair. It is still there. it has,in this incomprehensible span of time, lost around a billionth of its mass. You have counted everything there is, and have only just begun.

mass doesn't exist as an intrinsic property anyway, it is simply the result dozens of interactions between gravitons in the boson field.

This proves that some stars are not made up of atoms. Based black science communicator.

>This proves that some stars are not made up of atoms.
You've proved you haven't heeded Abraham Lincoln's quote that you can't believe everything you read on the Internetz