Most Veeky Forums STEM major?

I love literature, but since I hear that most literary degrees are nothing more than scraps of paper, (and I hear that the education that colleges give you these days is biased towards Social Justice anyway) what's the most useful and most Veeky Forums STEM degree?

math

chemistry

Maths or physics I'd say
Architecture too if we're counting it in engineering

This.

Above all else, stay away from biology and engineering.

Environmental Science t b h f a m

Definitely math, as the first user said. It is very steeped in logic. Most great philosophers of the past jointly studied math.

Chemistry/physics are also nice when combined with philosophy. They give you a broader view on metaphysics.

I've only done gen chem/physics and calc 2 (I'm a freshman in engineering), but I also read a lot and I feel like they are all quite complimentary

Not OP, but how is that career? I thought about it because it appeared to me on of those "what career is right for me" quizzes, and i like Linkola (and some ideas of Kaczynski).

its shit

ok

These only work if you plan on getting a Ph.D.

>/adv/

>some ideas of Kaczynski
derivative thinker, expand your mind

All bachelor's degrees are worthless now unless you're willing to do shitty lab research for $30k or be a code monkey

Computer Science. Imaginative people who also have a knack for abstract thinking tend to be good at coding.

Well what do you recommend? Are double majors worth it? As of right now, the STEM subject that interests me most is Computer Science, but I'm wondering if I should synthesize Computer Science with some sort of second literary or humanities major or if I should just opt for a STEM major and get educated about literature and the humanities by myself.

I did engineering. Biggest mistake of my life.
I did it for money and job security but have neither after graduating.
And the courses are numbingly boring, nothing fancy science ideology, all practical application.
Go do maths of physics. It doesn't give you a better chance at a good job but you'll find more open-minded lit people.

>if I should just opt for a STEM major and get educated about literature and the humanities by myself.
do that
i was gonna double major but cs work is too much shit to handle.
nothing's worse than spending all night trying to get your code to work :(

why? are they oversaturated or something

As long as u dont care too much about making 6 figures, pretty much all the jobs are with the government(go figure) and agencies so its never too hard to find work. On one hand you get to be in the wilderness often which is nice if you like to be outdoors, but on the other hand most of the time youll be spending months away from home doing studies.
Overall not a bad career path, but not one you would want to try to have a family with.

Get the fuck out.

Biology is a joke major that doesn't teach you to think and just requires rote memorization. There aren't a lot of job opportunities; it's mostly done for an easy pre-med 4.0 GPA.

No idea what his problem with engineering is. It's a good degree, but mostly practical, so it can be boring for abstract minded people who enjoy philo/lit

>m-muh literary academia bubble
Guess what son
The renaissance man is making a comeback

which engineering major?

Is mathematical engineering Veeky Forums approved? Or does it have to be pure math?

Anyways, Pynchon was an engineer wasn't he?

Pure math is more abstract and so, at least to me, seems more literary.

But I wouldn't recommend choosing a major from posts on a Minoan fresco-sharing site.

It's not really the same thing. Math is something aside from application, engineering doesn't really factor in at all.

Also the bulk of people who study engineering don't read

Academia is for brainlets. If you were truly smart, then you'd make an app or website and sell it for billions.

Petroleum engineer is the best bachelors degree, though.

>starting a fossil fuel career in the 21st century

wooo laddy

Sometimes that starts by being well educated. No one likes someone who is only in life for the money. There is no love, passion, or life in that.

Ah, how refreshing is to be young and naive.

He's right though. Nobody goes into it so there's a huge shortage of petroleum engineers. My dad's friend worked in a big oil company and said as much.

yeah, too bad you'll have to work in queer places like texas or north dakota or some shit, and you'll have to become one of those embarrassing climate change deniers since you job depends on it, and you'll have to hate any new companies like tesla or uber for threatening your future, basically you will become a reactionary luditte stuck in a backwater, but hey you'll make about as much as ... as ... every other kind of engineer! totally worth it!

Engineering teaches you to think, but in wholly concrete ways. It's the most concrete of the sciences, and therefore doesn't motivate abstract reasoning. There's a reason most engineers are dull fuckers who like trashy fantasy novels and anime.

>Engineering teaches you to think, but in wholly concrete ways. It's the most concrete of the sciences

engineering is not a science u fuckhead, it's engineering. holy shit, these stem memers don't even know their own bullshit

Biology is the least Veeky Forums major but medicine (psychiatry in particular) seems to be a very Veeky Forums profession

t. medical student

Seriously, there are entire academic branches and areas of politics devoted to running against the idea of obsessing over money.

It's incredibly childish and arrogant to be in life only for the money.

Don't do biology. There is no thinking involved.

>Memorise stupid amounts of information you won't retain
>Write excessive essays on the shit you learnt

It's English literature with a scientific masquerade

Math > science > tech > engineering

Somehow I came out dumber after I studied biology.

En/lit/ened Tier:
1. Linguistics (w/ emphasis in a quantitative field, like statistics)
2. Maths (theoretical)
3. Physics (theoretical)

High Tier:
4. Architecture
5. Maths (applied)
6. Computer Science
7. Statistics

Mid Tier:
8. Physics (experimental)
9. Chemistry
10. Biology and/or Pre-Med
11. Electrical Engineering
12. Robotics (yes, this is actually a major at some universities)

Low Tier:
13. Mechanical Engineering
14. Chemical Engineering

This is based on personal experience, so if anyone wants to contribute anecdotes, I'm happy to make revisions and add majors.

Are you incapable of handling money responsibly? You know you can make lots of money, and then use the money for common good.

>a bunch of nerds who feel smart becuase they don't watch the big bang theory but find mr robot "profound and philosophical"
Yeah, nah. Comp sciences have some interesting folks, but most of them are plebs who are obsessed with cyberpunk and play "complex videogames" for the sole sake of creating the illusion that they are actually smart.

What do the tiers measure?

Certainly not economic stability.

Meant for

It's the official objective 100% guaranteed unbiased personal opinion chart by user

>Yeah, nah. Comp sciences have some interesting folks, but most of them are plebs who are obsessed with cyberpunk and play "complex videogames" for the sole sake of creating the illusion that they are actually smart.
This is true of every STEM major. I'm listing CS up there because I notice a higher-than average number of people reading literary fiction. Saw at least 5 copies of memefinite jest in one of my graduate classes.

Of course they dont measure that. If anything related to Veeky Forums was asociated with a possible profit then people would have an incentive to actually read. In fact I have met people who started reading because of "all the benefits for memory and concentration" it provides (and guess what? They mostly read YA crap).