Is literature destroying our children?

Children's books simplify the workings of the world.
>There are good people, and then there's bad people.
>Beautiful people are good, ugly people are bad.
>Men must be brave, women must be helpless.
Etc.

Aside from children's book, literature is often said to be great because it yields sympathy and understanding, and it can explain complex human conditions.
Yet children's books seem to do the opposite.

Do you think this is an issue and do you think you were negatively impacted in some way by what you read as a child? What would you have your children read?

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-kaoma-uganda-gays-american-ministers-20140323-story.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bitch did I stutter?

no

>What would you have your children read?
I'd start my kids with the Greeks at age 2 and have them writing my analysis of Infinite Jest on Veeky Forums by 6.

I'd pick up some recent children's books user, the whole field is a Tumblr monopoly at this stage discounting the evangelical market

>I'd start my kids with the Greeks at age 2

"Daddy what is the swan doing to that lady?"

>americans and their fear of sex

>There are good people, and then there's bad people.
>Beautiful people are good, ugly people are bad.
>Men must be brave, women must be helpless.
All of those are correct, you limp-wristed twerp.

How do you talk to a two year old about rape
inb4 SHOW don't TELL

>reading bad children's literature
>complaining it's bad
No shit fampai

is there a children's books guide? i don't want to read my kid pleb night time stories

I don't think it's an issue because children move on from those types of books early on. Even if it did impact them it will pale in comparison to whatever individual factors they will go through as they grow into adulthood that it's just a non-issue.

What's funny is that all the problems you list you'll find readily apparent in mass media right now. As far as what I would I give my children to read I would just give them greater access to a library or at least a bookstore than what I had as a child. My fondest memories of reading ware not about shakespeare or socrates but a book I just happened to find in a box of women's smut.

Umm, wrestling.

It is a nude forceful hug, essentially.

>Thinking that nigger-speak is funny

Good luck getting that to hold in court

Would it be child abuse to raise your child to speak Latin as their first language?

I want my kid to be a Classics pro and be able to say Latin isn't a dead language anymore, but I also don't want them to hate me.

they will hate you anyway

>Bitch
>"nigger-speak".

Good point.

Yeah what makes it reddit is that its a Tarantino quote

Tarantino is white.

Not by choice.

Are you a retard by choice?

No. Just like QT would choose to be black.

Hold up
I thought the beak was going into the vagina? How does human-swan sex work ?

The swan puts his pickle in the human's tomtom.

penis in vagina

>not utilizing the length of the neck

Start with stuff like Goodnight Moon, then progress to narnia

>Narnia
I don't want to raise a Christfag.

What are some good, wholesome, Hyperborean children's books?

Look, I work in a library and we do a tonne of research on this stuff, and most kids need the picture book phase to learn about very basic things. They recommend you read 1000 books to your child by age 3, and that's just unattainable with chapter books.

Besides, kids need to learn about things when they're ready. I'm not saying keep your kids innocent or anything-I believe children should have complete freedom in their reading. But you can't expect a 3 year old to comprehend complex issues, and if you expose them to more confronting things it can actually damage their brain development.

Read them myths. That's what I had read to me. Myths and fables and stuff, but not the tame versions- original Grimm's fairytales and the like.

Also, Call of the Wild is good for kids.

Thats hot

Moar

>Not reading Babar and Mumin

I don't think reading in general is harmful at all, almost all reading is good reading. Unless you're on here.

Picture book phase does not mean it has to paint ugly people as bad, for example.

I'm not suggesting children's books should deal with existentialism, but it's very possible to explain things in a more diverse matter without making it overly complex.

For example, a kid can learn that dropping a glass and causing it to shatter is bad. But they can also learn that there is a difference between throwing it on the ground with purpose, and accidentally breaking it. Thus, you teach your kid about intentions. And then you can also teach them that people may do things that are bad or hurtful or whatever, but that maybe that doesn't mean they ARE bad people. That people do mistakes, get misunderstood, etc.

Yeah, americans not only cucks themselves. They want to cuck the whole world, because when men have fun, it's problematic.

For instance: There's a proposal to ban male masturbation in Texas.

For instance 2: Ugandan homophobia has been fomented by american cuckians.

latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-kaoma-uganda-gays-american-ministers-20140323-story.html

Pic related: American ingenuity.

When I was a kid, my mom read me the Dr Seuss poem about yurtle the turtle, the turtle that tries to be the highest turtle by standing on other turtles. I loved it, I really identified with Yurtle, and then when I grew up she told me it was supposed to be about Hitler, so...

>disappointing your mom
absolutely NOT patrician

>Besides, kids need to learn about things when they're ready. I'm not saying keep your kids innocent or anything-I believe children should have complete freedom in their reading. But you can't expect a 3 year old to comprehend complex issues, and if you expose them to more confronting things it can actually damage their brain development.
We have a good liberal here

Picture books do that. Have you gone and looked at them recently?

They don't do it enough.

There is research to back that up you know.

>is X, Y, or Z artistic medium destroying our children?

Only the ones who can't distinguish fantasy from reality.

>ban male masturbation

good

What? I can't read toddlers Hegel at bedtime?

Next you'll be saying SS+GOMAD isn't appropriate either.

childrens books give kids answers

adult books teach those kids to grow up and question those answers

>had fun once and hated it.jpg
It's really funny that the #1 anti-christian is when it boils down to the brass tacks, is just the same as the fun-hating bible-thumpers.

I know about the second thing, but could you link to the Texas initiative? It seems rather drastic even for Texans

I hope you were born after 1990 and your test levels are responsible for this post

I think children benefit from depth in their media. I can only speak from my own experience, but I watched and read many things at an age younger than I perhaps should have and it has been very beneficial.
Even when I didn't immediately grasp the deeper meanings in the stories, I would think on them later and come to understand them. It may have helped that I was always introspective and curious.
There is also the fact that because I was read to, I was predisposed towards reading later in life. My mother read Eliot to me before bed time and he later became one of my favorite poets.
A child is never too young to hear a story, within appropriate perimeters of course. Please don't read smut to your kids.

It was created as an attempt to satirize texas' abortion policy. Its a near false-equivalancy though. In a very superficial sense, it could be said that its comparing the waste of semen to the waste of life from aborting a fetusx although this would be a terrible argument as such is probably not the message behind the initiative. It is more likely that the intention (I hope) was to point out a discrepancy in the law. In a christian value system, sex without procreation is purely hedonistic and therefore sinful, and so is masturbation. The representative is pointing out two things. One, if Texas law is built on christian values, why are the (male majority) lawmakers only following ones that don't impinge there freedoms. And two, that the law of a state is built on religious values rather, making this law feasible (in a comic sense); but also showing the disresgard for full separation of church and state.

Honestly either way its dumb, since the tenents of liberty are to do with any individual being able to act upon any wishes or desires they have that do not directly hurt others. The debate is centered around whether abortion kills harms another individual without their consent, not that abortion is unchristian.

You haven't read very many children's books, have you?

>ask for a link
>get a tirade

That's all swell friend, but I value my defecation more highly than "the tenents [sic] of liberty" or the "rights" of an "individual." I'll find the bill myself.

>court
american indeed
meanwhile said 2 year old can get his gun license
no problem

why the fuck would you do that you sicko?

birth control not abortion

>meanwhile said 2 year old can get his gun license

People have been encoding values and reinforcing culture/tradition in stories since before written history. This isn't anything new.

Are children destroying our literature?

Is destruction infantilizing our literature? I would say yes.

Children's books are there to introduce children to some of the more complex things in the world that are normally represented through stories and little fables, they don't have to (and shouldn't) depict the whole range of human emotion

Indeed.

It's good for a child to know where he come from

There was a guy who spoke his son only Klingon, so he became its only native speaker. He’ll likely learn English or whatever language you speak there anyways; he'll just be bilingual.

literature follows the trend
>children read
good joke

>reading sht books to your kids
>complaining they are shit

you can't except the kids section to have better books on display than any other section. if you want good books, do your research, read them and decide for yourself. it's as if you expect the real gems to be the ones being advertised in the bookstore. or do what i do. i just make up bed time stories. the kids love that, it's intimate and it also hones your plot development skills. ofc i also read them classics. but for short stories, i mainly make them on the go.

>Actually think they can ban masturbation

Did the point just swoop right over your head? The point of the proposed law was To point out the hypocrisy of how women's healthcare is treated in the court of law, you dolt.

I didn't read as a child, and I never read any children's books.
What are they like? I imagine they are like dreams, nonsensical chains of events that don't exactly follow one from another, with no established rules of what goes and what doesn't.

why don't you read one?
they're basically shorter and less elaborated stories, usually with a happy ending

>the giving tree
Perfect metaphor for how some see the government?

i always thought the tree was a metaphor for parents

Why did they even censor that? His tits are probably bigger than hers.

no

So-
1) You don't have children
2) You don't grasp what literature truly is
3) You're naive about the world
Anything else you want to get off your chest before mom puts you on the bus for school?

How strong is *your* Latin? How good is your wife's Latin? Are you prepared for home schooling your child?
It had better be pretty damn strong for you to raise a child as a native speaker of it.

So you've never read many picture books for children?
Shouldn't you know about the topic before you complain about it?
>Picture book phase does not mean it has to paint ugly people as bad
Funny thing - children grasp symbolism at a surprisingly young age. They 'get' that the ogre in Puss In Boots is ugly because he is wicked, not wicked because he is ugly - which seems to sail past you.

>There's a proposal to ban male masturbation in Texas.
FFS
This is a STUNT by a state legislator trying to get press attention. And even if she was serious, it isn't a ban.
>I'm not an American and I know this

america
if they all had gunshot wounds it woul be ok tho

ITT: kids who have no clue what a kid is

i, OP, did that because SFW board
don't blame me blame moot

t. James Mill

(((research)))