Is expensive Whiskey worth it?

Is expensive Whiskey worth it?

Not really

Depends. If I can afford it without stressing, then yes. If I can't, then it's a conspiracy to make me feel uncultured.

If I can "afford" it in the sense of having the cash to buy it, even though I'm living beyond my means and stressing over the purchase, then I can autistically follow "the rules" when I drink it to make sure everyone understands that I am a wealthy patrician who does things "properly". And if anyone drinks it "wrong" I can pedantically explain why they are "wasting" liquor and the jewish conspiracy is why I'm not a winner

Worth what?

Not the way I drink

Nope... i can't control myself. If there is whiskey in the house, I'm drinking it every day until it's gone.

>Worth what?

dad pls... not now

only if your not alcoholic..

then no

Not even worthwhile gratis. Alcohol is terrible for you.

Yes
And no

When the last two episodes of Twin Peaks season 3 are being released (they're being released at the same night) then I'm almost certain that I'm getting a small bottle of Talisker or something.

I'm like and so it's generally not worth it for me unless it's a special occasion.

If you appreciate good liquor and have the money to spend sure. But if money is tight it's a ridiculous expenditure.

Anything aged beyond 12 years gains nothing more in purity and anything beyond 18 years has zero benefit in flavor from the ageing process. Most whiskies gain nothing at all beyond 12 years, any illusion of difference comes from different conditioning. Past those marks, you're paying solely for prestige.

Keep in mind there is no fun in paying $200 for a bottle and it's amazing. Paying $40 for something amazing is way more satisfying

No. I've bought two really expensive bottles of liquor in the past two years and it wasn't worth it.
>$120 bottle of Crown Royal XR wasn't that much better than normal $20 bottles. Drank it all with friends when best friend's dad passed away
>$150 bottle of Remy Martin XO for my dad for Father's day. Tried it and it wasn't that much better than the VSOP or 1738.

If you have the cash to blow and want to look sophisticated then go for it, but if you want to get drunk, it's not worth it in my opinion.

If you are not alcoholic, you won't value it enough to notice the difference.

If you are an alcoholic, you are going to consume in a way that is not perceived valuable.

Not of value.

It's for my dad's 70th. Maybe I should buy him a Whiskey Bar voucher instead.

It's looking like a flight to fucking Scotland is cheaper.

Yeah a whiskey bar voucher is better, unless you actually know exactly what brands and vintages he likes you will end up getting some overpriced swill that he will feel obligated to pretend he likes.

I generally just stay in the $30-80 dollar range. Generally focus on the $45-60 area. Anything below is just party-swill, anything above just isn't worth it.

It depends what you mean by "expensive". I've had $50 whiskey that was worth it, and would probably even say that a lot of whiskey are worth the 40-75 range. After that it's probably more about status than taste.

>>$150 bottle of Remy Martin XO for my dad for Father's day. Tried it and it wasn't that much better than the VSOP or 1738.

Same, I actually prefer the VSOP to the XO

absolutely not

if you spend more than $25 for a liter of alcohol you are a fucking retard

The best scotch I've ever tasted is a bottle I own now. It's a 1999 edition of the Lagavulin. It's their distillers edition and it's worth the $160.

People who don't drink taste it and are amazed.

> you spend more than $25 for a liter of alcohol you are a fucking retard
this is the sign of an alcoholic or just someone with shit taste

just don't break $80 or you're dumb. And if it's over $50, make it last. Not hard.

If you want to start with a really high end 'peasant' scotch, it needs to be Lagavulin 16 yr old sherry cask aged.

That's worth the hundred bucks.