So, what are you supposed to do?

So, what are you supposed to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride
web.archive.org/web/20060318221608/http://www.airproducts.com/nr/rdonlyres/8479ed55-2170-4651-a3d4-223b2957a9f3/0/safetygram39.pdf
alibaba.com/product-detail/Chlorine-trifluoride-ClF3_60691601019.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxygen_difluoride
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=M4l56AfUTnQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride
>Fire control/suppression is incapable of suppressing this oxidation, so the surrounding area must simply be kept cool until the reaction ceases.
You're just fucked and have to wait for it to finish burning you while the AC's on.

Perhaps the best answer is just to not have any chlorine triflouride.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride
>Ignites the ashes of things that have already been oxidized.
>Byproducts are hydrochloric and hydroflouric acid.
>Too fucking hypergolic to be used as a rocket fuel.

This stuff is LITERALLY nightmare fuel.

>So, what are you supposed to do?

Kiss your ass goodbye before your lips burn away.

It will give you a useful opportunity to learn an important life lesson -- sometimes, there is not really much you can do.

>not have any chlorine trifluoride
That sounds shitty

What if I place steel beams on it?

But it's so cheap though. If we mass produced it you could buy a kilogram for a dollar.

They don't melt. They catch on fire.

I don't see what the big deal is. I put chlroine trifluoride on my burritos.

Try jumping out the airlock. It might not extinguish you but at least you'll have something else to take your mind off things.

That's like getting punched in the face because it's only ten cents.
Also, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable living in the world were people can create instant unquenchable white-hot fire so cheaply.

I mean, you could just buy a few kgs of the stuff for barely anything and set a large building ablaze.

At least it's no Azidoazide Azide. The thing that explodes from any stimuli at all. Even no stimuli. Nitrogen is dangerous, kiddos.

if it's so easy why hasn't anyone done it?

RUN! Get the fuck out of any place that even mentions chlorine trifluoride. Anyway, bye I'm out of here!

>For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.
You can't wear running shoes in the lab, they are far too porous.

It would be easy from a purely economic standpoint. It isn't in reality today because of how dangerous it is and how difficult it is to store properly. It's not even like the precautions needed to store it properly cost a lot of money so much as they're easy to mess up and then you have a really bad, unstoppable disaster on your hands.

clean it up with fluoride. That thing that lobotmized alex jones

>it's easy from an economic standpoint
>except for all the costs
ah yes

i get your point though

>all the costs
No, I specifically said it wouldn't be a cost issue. It'd be very cheap even accounting for how you need to store it, it's just that it's very easy to mess up. It's the same reason people don't go into any number of other business ventures with low costs but extreme hazards like Alaska Bering Sea crab fishery or ice road trucking.

couldn't you just do the reaction (3f2+cl2->2clf3) on-site? then you wouldn't need to bother with any risks

>you wouldn't need to bother with any risks
Except all the risks associated with transporting, storing and using fluorine and chlorine gas

yeah but it's way less of a risk to transport and store those than it is to transport and store clf3

Run.

This shit is amazing, it got spilled on a highway once and burned through several feet of concrete while flooding the area with toxic fumes and shit, the flames apparently went up like 60 feet or something insane like that.

>"It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."

What an amazing quote. and these people fuck with hydrazine on the daily too, that shit's nasty but this stuff makes it seem like cake frosting.

Any video or news stories?

Couldn't find this, I think youare misremembering this user

web.archive.org/web/20060318221608/http://www.airproducts.com/nr/rdonlyres/8479ed55-2170-4651-a3d4-223b2957a9f3/0/safetygram39.pdf

>ClF3 reacts explosively with water
What the absolute fuck

>It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured

>chlorine triflouride
Where can I buy this? Asking for a friend.

copper?

I love the present so much...
alibaba.com/product-detail/Chlorine-trifluoride-ClF3_60691601019.html

>It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers

LMAO

just use liquid N2,
the NF3 formed is relativity safe

well so does all group 1 elements, further down you go the more explosive

Until Francium, which is an atom so large that the outermost electrons gain mass due to travelling at near lightspeed and this somehow makes it less reactive.

this is not true, it reacts even faster than cesium with water

Ok then, looks like I can never visit shanghai now.

>Upper/lower explosion/flammability limit : No data available.

>that picture

How much can I safely use to prank my friends?

I don't think you can use it to do anything safely.

spray it with liquid Argon,
cheap and effective

Remind me to never piss of my chemical engineering prof

Dump liquid nitrogen on it?
Depends on if they've been fluoridated or not.

Put it underneath a waterfall. Let's see how well your little chlorine trifluoride fairs.

Use smaller fires to take away the heat

>waterfall is on fire

Only a little bit of it.
Water takes a lot of energy to heat up, and a waterfall has a lot of water.

literally just get a fan to blow away all the oxygen

no oxygen = no fire = no burns

Linus Pauling estimated the electronegativity of francium at 0.7 on the Pauling scale, the same as caesium;[9] the value for caesium has since been refined to 0.79, but there are no experimental data to allow a refinement of the value for francium.[10] Francium has a slightly higher ionization energy than caesium,[11] 392.811(4) kJ/mol as opposed to 375.7041(2) kJ/mol for caesium, as would be expected from relativistic effects, and this would imply that caesium is the less electronegative of the two. Francium should also have a higher electron affinity than caesium and the Fr− ion should be more polarizable than the Cs− ion.[12] The CsFr molecule is predicted to have francium at the negative end of the dipole, unlike all known heterodiatomic alkali metal molecules. Francium superoxide (FrO2) is expected to have a more covalent character than its lighter congeners; this is attributed to the 6p electrons in francium being more involved in the francium–oxygen bonding.[12]

It IS the oxidizing agent you brainlet. I also don't know why you think all these professional hazmat authorities somehow just never thought of your brilliant using a fan idea.

>Exposure to larger amounts of chlorine trifluoride, as a liquid or as a gas, ignites tissue
>"so, what are you supposed to do?"

die

Regret that you tried to lobotomize a planet full of AI robots and steal their assets?

Ignition! is a hell of a drug.

*snnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffffffffffffffff*
*dies*

*spontaneously combusts with no measurable ignition delay*

>lab shoes that also double as running shoes too.

Guess who's got a killer business idea.

They're called chef shoes.

>hydroflouric acid
Doesn't that melts bones?

Please post more interesting compounds and chemicals PLEASE

Sure why not, it melts everything else.

The ultimate in onomatopoeic compounds- FOOF

>Dioxygen difluoride reacts vigorously with nearly every chemical it encounters – even ordinary ice – leading to its onomatopoeic nickname "FOOF" (a play on its chemical structure and its explosive tendencies).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxygen_difluoride

Look up "Thing I won't work with" by Derek Lowe, it's the source of these quotes

that's awesome, thank you Veeky Forums

see how cool u can be when you don't make shit threads about iq tests, race, or pemdas?

>you could just buy a few kgs of the stuff for barely anything and set a large building ablaze.
That's not how it works, for fuck's sake. It doesn't make magic fire, it reacts with things and is consumed in the reaction.

If you buy a few kg of the stuff, it will react with a few kg of fuel. Any fire resulting after that from the heat produced will be normal fire.

A jerry can of gasoline works better for lighting a large building on fire.

Funnily enough, it actually doesn't. HF is surprisingly non-reactive. In fact, it's so non-reactive that it soaks through human skin. That said, yes, it's extremely reactive with calcium so HF poisoning does indeed lead to your bones softening. Unfortunately, if it's not spotted when it occurs, it may be about half a day before the chalky burn is noticed, at which point your bones may already be fucked.

>The compound has no practical applications, but has been of theoretical interest. One laboratory used it to synthesize plutonium hexafluoride at unprecedentedly low temperatures, which was significant because previous methods for preparation needed temperatures so high that the plutonium hexafluoride created would rapidly decompose.[11]

he was being purposely retarded. a fan to blow away the oxygen. yeah i always get lightheaded because of the fan blowing away all the oxygen

Yeah! "Ignition!" is my favorite historical technical document, esp. since I'm already interested in rocketry. (One surprise from it is that nobody seriously tried the methalox fuel combo in the early days of rocketry. Why is it all the rage now?)

Add more until there is nothing left to react with.

>May react violently with combustible materials.
>May

*combusts your path with no measurable ignition delay*
Heh... nothing personnel, kid

Running isn't going to help the gas products of the reaction are lethal at 100ppm

>Keep adding more
>React with all the mass on earth
>"fug :DDD" -t. God

Put it into a vacuum.

>implying it wont set the vacuum on fire

james dyson pls go

underrated

>Chlorine Trifluoride : The Compound That Can Even Set Fire to Glass

!!! How does this work?

Also: Will it set fire to quartz glass?

well you're gonna end up storing your finished product anyway whether you make it of buy it

>Fire control/suppression is incapable of suppressing this oxidation, so the surrounding area must simply be kept cool until the reaction ceases. The compound reacts violently with water-based suppressors, and oxidizes in the absence of >atmospheric oxygen, rendering atmosphere-displacement suppressors such as CO2 and halon completely ineffective.

>it destroys glass on contact, in present of trace amounts of water it destroys quarz to.

Georg Brauer: Handbuch der Präparativen Anorganischen Chemie. 3., umgearb. Auflage. Band I. Enke, Stuttgart 1975, ISBN 3-432-02328-6.

So that's what this was about.

I remember a bitter but funny comment about some poor fucks who tried one or another fuel and concluded it will take a couple tweaks to the process to make it work - If they knew it would take another 20 years and multiple accidents to do so they would have gone outside and blew their brains out.

I'd like a updated chapter 13 of "Ignition!". I wonder what happened in the rocket fuel field in the meantime.

Fun times.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=M4l56AfUTnQ

BOIIIIIIIIS

Shut up.

That was high concentration hydrogen peroxide used for jetpack fuel. Split on a motorway in the UK and ignited the tarmac.

I wonder. Is there an easy way to make low concentration Hydrogen peroxide on a small scale directly from water or Oxygen/Hydrogen derived via Electrolysis?

Extra spicy.

Because if you try it you just end up on fire. But at least it only cost you a dollar

All the waterfall would do is explode repeatedly over it until the chlorine trifluoride is spread out over a wide area and still on fire

It will burn just as long in vacuum as it would have if you left it were it was

Well at least that would look cool.

it would burn the vacuum chamber