What are you currently writing, user?

What are you currently writing, user?

this reply

Currently writing a short story as a means of catharsis to relieve myself of my agonizing affection for my cousin. I'll post the story on Veeky Forums when I finish.

Vagina Wolf vs Evil Robot Spiders

4 column poem that can be read across of down each

A long "meditation" on my problems with women and their source (not historically, but just the honest emotional source).

I hope that by identifying the problem and by admitting that I'm wrong, I can FEEL that I'm wrong and I can come to a solution.

Fantasy short story. It sucks and I don't know what to do with it.

Email to my future self

Nice

There are like 2 girls besides my gf that I think of constantly. I've known them both for years and they constantly pop into my head. Then I always wonder about what could have been...

Is that normal? Or does that fall under the umbrella of agonizing affection?

>thinking of other women while dating someone

You're basically cheating on your girlfriend, mate.

I have to some shitty small close reading piece on King Lear for my class but soon after I'm gonna continue working on my book

Tone poem, or rhapsody, it depends on how it's going to develop

Probably garbage tier story about a man slowly losing his mind while trapped inside during a blizzard because being alone makes him realize how alone he has made himself

I doubt it will turn out to be anything worthwhile but I really need to write this shit to get something off my chest

I know. I feel pretty bad about it but I can't help it

I think it will all work out. It's normal to have those feelings. There are girls that I've dated that I only did so because they reminded me of one I lost. I think you maybe should think about exploring those feelings and finding some closure (for both you and your girlfriend's sake)

A spooky occult thriller.

details?

It'll probably end up hokey and silly but it's about an occult text that can prove the soul being stolen by a group of Satanists and main character's trying to get it back.

Hey a little hokiness can be fun at times. Have fun with it friend!

Currently rewriting my mother's suicide note

story?

Trying to change the wording so my brother is written out of the will instead of me.

This is literally one of the most normal feelings to have, as a guy, when you're in a serious relationship. The fact that you're worried about them means that you're absolutely fine. Every guy starts to think about other girls for a brief period when a relationship becomes serious, and you realize that you might spend the rest of your life with this one girl--it's just your brain making sure that this is really what you want. Think about why you love the girl you're with, and keep treasuring her every day and you'll be ok: those thoughts will go away

just my suicide note family

Not cheating dude. Don't put your thoughts off just because your in a relationship.

A journey into the underworld inspired by the time I became so physically sick that my perception of reality warped.

With digits like that you are now obliged to finish it no matter what.

A Grimm's fairy tale-esque story about a boy who gets lost in a forest and has his body stolen by a fox, who then travels to the boy's home and lives as an imposter.

Both of these have a lot of potential. If you have any excerpts, I'd love to read them.

Here's an excerpt from the blizzard one, keep in mind it is in a very early state. Love to hear any criticisms. I've never written any stories before:

"I stand up from my dimly lit room and wander to the bathroom. After doing my business I take a moment to look at myself in the mirror. It’s strange how alien looking at yourself can feel. Like the person in the reflection isn’t you, but simply humoring you by imitating your movements. Like he silently pities you. Like he mocks you when you turn the lights off. I turn the bathroom light off and try not to imagine him silently laughing at me from behind the glass"

Hard to take seriously. Stop trying to be deep lad, just be deep. Don't let me know you're preaching, or to be magnanimous, musing.

That's entirely fair. I feel the same way. Thank you

I kind of agree honestly.
It almost sounds like a monologue that the main character from some comedy film would do as a voice over while showing him getting ready for work at the start of the movie.

I would suggest varying your sentence structure. There are a few too many "I do x, I do y, I do z".

For example, instead of saying, "I take a moment to look at myself in the mirror," you could vary it up and even combine a few sentences by saying something like, "The soulless gaze that met my eyes from the mirror belonged to anyone but me."

Might not be a perfect example, but the point is, try to imply action, not just state it.

Can I cast Rob Schneider?

Sure. I was picturing Ron Livingston from Office Space myself.

Alright. When you guys write stories, what is your general process? I like the idea itself, but have doubts as to my skill in conveying thought in a non-cringey way. Do you guys imitate the styles of your favorite writers? Should I start by reading books similar in theme?

I tried writing a political manifesto, then I tried writing a sci-fi lite, and now I'm drinking a beer and wondering why the fuck I can't stay consistent in writing.

Do not say shit like this. Jesus, this an extract from a YA novel. Vary sure.
Stop using like to no comparison, none of that phony DFW colloquial illusion. And don't say "the reflection isn't you" because then you're talking about "us". Talk about you.

Same. Each story I start to write ends up starting with a suicide letter to a friend of family

His point is valid though. I use "I" sentences too many times. It makes the work sound more like a diary entry than interesting

I didn't say it was wrong. I literally said, "vary sure". His example is just not something you want in any of your work.

My bad. I thought you misspelled "very sure" as in "I'm very sure it's originally from a YA novel"

He did admit that the example itself was poor

ok

no dunt do it. pm me if u need 2 talk

>666
>journey to the underworld

I should become a fashion photographer.

I'm writing poems in my mother tongue language
I can try to translate one of them if you want but it will sound bad probably

The bulb above the toilet cut a thin strip of light into my bedroom where the shades were drawn. I got out of bed only because I had to shit and after a perfunctory crouch of a few minutes I was done. On the way out, the groggy decision to leave my hands unwashed, I cast a glance at my passing self in the mirror: uncanny, caught mid-motion in an awkward hunch. The reflection never seems truly human, so obsequious in its imitation. There's no person there, you have to remember. Just a pitying blotch of colors and lines that mocks you as it bounces back your little twitches of movement, eyes above waiting for your gaze to stray back into the pupil to pupil deadlock. I can't stand it--enough for now. I'm even self-conscious as I imagine the panel display the back of my head as I leave the room.

Nothing, I'm too afraid of making something cringey.
Any tips to overcome my aversion?

Literally, unironically, JUST DO IT.

Just do it and accept it's going to be cringey. It's a craft, an art, a skill. These things take time and effort to hone.

A blacksmith does not walk into his shop on the first day and craft Excalibur. He starts small, he starts practical and hones his craft in this way.

If you write something cringey you literally never have to show it to anyone.

Six words story, about OPs faggotry

A short story, about a Korean waitress, concerning 'To what extent do the hardships inflicted upon us by others confirm our own worst imaginings of ourselves?'

suicide notes are cliche. leave your family some mystery. the motives they think up will probably more interesting than why you really did it.

A translation and editing of a short story that I wrote years ago as practice. Then I will probably write another short story. A friend of mine told me to publish all my stuff on a blog of some sort, but I'm not completely sure about it...

Wright the most cringey thing ever, so cringey that the cringiest of the weebs think is cringey. Then proced with your regular writing desires.

i liked it

Nothing

Why are armpits so great, Veeky Forums?

An essay on the Schopenhauerian influence in Frost's The Wood-Pile and the Augustinian influence in Eliot's Burnt Norton and how despite having different trajectories in their writing both poets view poetry as a moment of clarity (for Frost it is a stay against the confusion of life, for Eliot it is a moment of glimpsing the sacred in an otherwise profane space) in a chaotic world.

>get an idea to write a story where a guy joins Quantrills raiders during the Civil war and winds up doing/seeing some pretty depraved shit
>realize it would just be a ripoff of blood maridian

Veeky Forums's obituary

I'm writing a dark comedy dystopian PolFi novel about a future where everything is controlled by AI. Two main characters, a rich engineer and a neet living off Basic Universal Income, and some minor characters, the NEET's son and his robotic 'partner'. Writing it in Spanish because my English vocabulary is a bit too basic.

Besides the meta reply of "this post," I'm most immediately writing about Jared Diamond's Collapse. I was assigned it from school work, but I noticed he also wrote Guns, Germs, and Steel, which someone commented that I must have taken notes from when I was writing my fiction work, so I'm paying it some special attention to see what they were on about. It's a bit egotistical to say that the correlation someone made between his ideas and my story makes me more interested in what he has to say, but that's what's happening.

As for what project I'm working on as a whole, I'm writing a story about a society of dysfunctional people stuck in tribalism while the world around them evolves and they simply are unable to change, either from the overwhelming outside force inflicting itself upon them or their own desire to become different. They won't ever move beyond this tribal state, no matter how many crusades, internal or external, are conducted to change things. It also deals with the identity of the people who live in there, for example, whether they choose to view the fact that they've been barbarians for longer than anyone can remember as a brand of sub-human shame or a badge of indomitable pride. It's written as a fantasy story, firstly for ease of implementing the themes I want to convey, secondly for easily selling it to people, and thirdly because I hate the focus of the fantasy genre on junk information like worldbuilding and political dramas, so I'm writing about failing nations, social disenfranchisement, and cultural relativity in the guise of pulp fantasy.

philosophy of mind essay on anomalous monism and epiphenomenalism

I shit out a story as fast as possible and then go back and carve it down into something more worthwhile when I'm done

I'm not good at explaining things, but I feel like the speaker is describing things in the world in a very uninvolved level. 'A dimly lit room,' is a poor description; the room is dimly lit, how does this affect the speaker? "My bare feet stand flat on the chill wood floor. I can barely make out the contours of my desk that I know sits beside the bathroom door. The jingle of the metal handle bounds on the walls behind the door. I drag my hand along the wall until I feel the switch flip, and with a hum the string of lights over the mirror burn hot. I push through, wincing, turning away, and fumbling with the door until it's closed again."
Of course, it doesn't need to be this elongated, but it gives some sense of intimate relation to the action. It's never mentioned that the speaker walked to the bathroom door, it's heavily implied through the speaker's observations that he is moving through the room (and, unless you're going for He Was Dead All Along!!!, it's one of the few things a reader can infer). If you walk to your bathroom door right now, the last thing you might think of is, despite how true it would be, "I am walking to my bathroom door."

Also, I find the most effective use of "i" as a pronoun in the first person narrative, generally, is when the speaker is unsure of something (and that unsureness needs to be expressed), or wants to be sure that something is as he thinks (and that desire for sureness needs to be expressed).

my suicide note to be published posthumously after i die of old age

One experimental novel
book on aesthetics
epic poem

Maybe if you wrote it as an action adventure story and published it as a pulp novel you could do pretty well.

I'm about to start on my seminar paper.
It's for a class that was about "Archeology in modern times", focusing on ex- and inclusion, analyzing what kind of effect places such as barracks have on it.
I will write about containers as living spaces.

Code for my computational physics homework
It's pretty cool but I need to be more diligent in working on actual creative outlets like my short stories

Keep going, user.

I just about completed/filled in all the gaps of the storyline for a short fantasy duology I was writing.

Then I was inspired today to instead make another branch off that follows the story of the deuteragonist with alternate timeline fuckery (which is nothing new in my fictionverse)

Depressed people use the word "I" disproportionately more than healthy people, and suicidal people use it even more.

Do you have a citation for that?

A short story about a semi-autistic university student neck deep in classical Latin studies who wakes up one morning with a vague and shapeless pain inside of him. He goes to several professionals, doctors, psychiatrists, and gurus who all give him a different diagnosis that is heavily biased towards their world view.
Pls don't shit on this idea Veeky Forums I love it too much

Actually not a bad decision as long as they're basically a more extreme version so you can realize your mistakes more explicitly.

That 'I love you' with my cum on your mom's ass.

My shitty fantasy novel living out all the self-inserts that I've ever wanted.

Its so liberating.

A couple things.

1: The story of a small town in the west of Ireland, in the near future. It follows a number of different character. A priest trying to restore faith in god, 2 farmers fighting over land, a young man spiralling down the path of violence and a woman trying to escape her responsibilities by repairing a old fishing trawler and making off for somewhere foreign.
I'm really happy with how this one is coming along and I've had positive responses from an editor. So I'm going to start throwing it at publishers.

2: A silly fantasy adventure revolving around the adventures of a reformed serial killer and a gestalt spirit community called "the committee" that runs itself via direct democracy.
This ones quite esoteric and I doubt I'll ever publish it. But I'm having great fun writing it.

>having a german cousin

i envy him

:3

a story about a 15 year old mexican boy who starts torturing and killing people for local narcos in order to earn some money to help support his family. does well enough and is trusted enough that they send him on a mission to the border city of Tijuana, where he has some misadventures, witnesses and does some fucked up things, all the while making periodic phone calls to speak with his 16 yo sister and 9 yo brother, to see how they are doing. Sister is going to marry a narco and MC feels ambivalent about it, being that he and his sister used to fuck when they were younger and still messed around sometimes before MC joined narcos as child torturer. MC hangs on to his humanity somehow but ends up getting picked up by feds who interview him and determine that he has suffered almost irreparable trauma and diagnose him as clinically psychotic. MC recounts violent childhood experiences that he never told anyone before and that probably contributed to him joining the narcos and showing talent for emotionlessly torturing and killing people. Not sure what ending will be yet.

A rapist sentenced to 15 years in prison joins a penal millitary company in exchange for a reduced sentence. They are armed against mecha with only a set of landmines and anti-armour rifles

would read/10

An essay. What are some good words, and general aspects in an essay that professors like to see? It's a literary analysis essay btw.

my sellout fantasy novel with plucky heroines

The sequel to a noir novel (I wrote that too).

A story about a college student who is upset that he has to take gender studies classes for his degree. There are two protagonists; the butthurt student and a female SJW. The story takes turns showing how each person tries to achieve their ideology. The butthurt student tries to rallies individualistic minded people to his cause but fails because they're too individualistic and never agree on anything. The SJW suceeds in recruiting people to expand the requirements on the basis of their identities, while each of the people she recruits doesn't actually agree with the things she is proposing. The faculty has taken a democratic approach to the issue, not picking sides til the end. Spoiler: the SJW wins her case and gets more classes added, even though nobody that helped her agrees with any of the classes she proposed. In the end the main ally of the butthurt protagonist gets fired, the butthurt student fails out of class and is bitter against academia. The university has to hire a shitload of new teachers for jobs that nobody really knows how to do, and ends up having to fire all the classics teacher, winding up with a university that effectively brainwashed the masses who are told they need a degree to be successful.

Is it bad if a story doesn't have any deep themes or symbolism?

I decided to start writing down some story ideas I had to pass the time. I might introduce those later on, but for now it's just a relaxed fantasy adventure.

postcolonial

I'm writing a mythological allegory about the sun and moon.

A man who lives in the depths of a cave emerges to find that after a lunar eclipse the sun has stopped rising and the night has been ongoing for months. He climbs to the highest plateau of the cliff that houses his cave and makes a plea to the sky for the return of the sun, but nothing answers him. He then begins asking the moon what has happened, and through the course of their conversation it's realized that the sun only rises in order to chase the moon. He then has to figure out a bargain to make with the moon so she will set and beckon the return of the sun.

A short story about a philosopher rabbit and his companion, a turtle, and a jazz cellist.

Also poems. Tons of them, almost all bad. 107 since December.

Same. I went from shining knight to saving the galaxy. It's fun, and I am often left surprise on what pops out of my mind.

On a serious note, I plan to write a story that focuses on moral dilemmas. How everything is not black and white and that the world is shades of all colors.

sounds cool, I would read that user