Bookshelf Thread

My niggas, let's have ourselves a bookshelf thread to suck each other.

I thought mine was bad but your shit is terrible.

It's getting there 1/3

>missing
Inherent Vice
Watchmen
The Pale King
Confederacy of Dunces
The Instructions

Field guides, spanish, ethics, poetry, and my gf's novels

Hey, it's guy-who-got-two-extra-Moby-Dick's-shipped-to-him-by-mistake. I remember you.

Learning, stoics, some philosophy I've never read, and some travel and nature writing.

Notebooks, natural history, geology, some nutrition, and climate books.

Novels and short stories. Far left unread, middle is short stories (like half of these are read maybe), right side is finished books.

Textbooks, art books, and fitness books.

I was gonna dog ya for all the starter pack and meme trillogy stuff, but most of those books are great. Also Grapes of Wrath is still the best book I have ever read. Some good shit on that shelf my dude.

holy fuck this i reddit incarnated

Is it?

i habe dat bibble :DDDDD

>Manga
>calling it books

Clive Barker was such a promising genre author but the latter half of his career has been a continuously burning dumpster fire.

this is a bit outdated but there's always some other brasil bros out there

1/3

I've only read Books of Blood vol. 3 is that past his prime or before? Because it has some good moments, but also a lot of duds.

2/3

Sideways, deal with it

3/3

Bonus shitty mass markets and leftovers. Have added a few books to the shelf and kicked others off on the past few days, but don't have a newer picture

duuuude good taste

What edition of Oblomov is that? I'm having trouble finding a copy/translation of the book that I trust.

I hide all my genre fiction in my closet, you're a braver man then I.

Is this bible better or worse than Harper Collins?

>two copies of Gravity's Rainbow

what? do you think you're better than me??

There's another on my shelf. Bought one, found out it had errors and went out and bought another since I was halfway through it, then emailed Penguin and got then to send me a new Deluxe edition.

acceptable explanation
you win this round, you bastard

>Rothfuss
>Jordan
>Sanderson

Wow, how did you word that email?

>heeey penguin? This book you published is WRONG and I'm MAD and VERY UPSET and I will no longer trust your publications AND I'm going to leave SO MANY bad reviews all over the Internet

Or what?

Which fantasy books would u recommend for a beginner?

Exactly like that, actually.

Honestly, though, I just told them I would like the corrected edition, which was printed like 6 months later. I'm not autistic and I'm not afraid of human interaction. If you're a paying customer and you're not a complete dick, you'll get what you want. Good life lesson for you, kid.

Read only Malazan, then move on to adult literature. Thank me later.

Anything in my to-read pile I should read soon?

I think you need more doorstoppers.

i recommend these before the rest (in chronological order)

Chekhov Stories
Kafka Stories
The Sun Also Rises
Under the Volcano
Labyrinths
Salinger Stories
Donald Barthelme
The Crying of Lot 49
The Box Man
Calvino
Phillip K Dick
White Noise
The Elementary Particles
My Struggle book 2 (if book 1 is good somebody let me know)

>supporting Tokyopop

Moby-Dick

Here's mine. Was was barely able to fit my whole collection in one picture. Thousands of books....

>Gnomes
when i was a kid i was loopy about that book

of those the only ones I haven't read are:
Under the Volcano
Barthelme
My Struggle Book 2

So I guess I will start in on Under the Volcano soon :) I've been really wanting too for a while.

And Book 1 is pretty good it's really long-winded, but it's pretty comfy and kind of flies by.

I started it and dropped halfway through when the semester started. I do want to go back and read it but I want an edition with bigger print.

how do you even read that shake pear

Love the faust
marlowe's dr. faustus is worth a read if you havent.

Just picked up Life and Fate, Being and Time, and Dhalgren, so my next picture should please you.

It's tough. I mostly use it for studying or deep reads.

Ignore the top left; I found them outside a dumpster and rescued them.

Thanks?

Dunno, never read the harper Collins

I haven't read it yet. But i loved undying so much when i saw this for a couple bucks i went for it. Lets hope his "essential" writing was from his early career.

By Cosac Naif, translated by Rubens Figueiredo, I don't think there's another portuguese translation, but even if there is, Cosac's translations are reliable as far as I know, and you can probably buy the book cheap since they went bankrupt last year and Amazon br has been having a perpetual sale of their stuff.

this + iphone is my "bookshelf"

is inherent vice a good start on pynchon?

Yes. Understand, thought, that it isn't at all like his 3 masterpieces. It's a fun book, though, and the best of Pynchon-lite. Most people will tell you The Crying of Lot 49, but honestly that's my least favorite Pynchon besides Bleeding Edge.

I disagree. I think Against the Day is the best entryway to Pynchon.

I love Against the Day, and think it's his most accessible long novel, but I have to disagree. AtD felt like Pynchon trying to pack all of his themes and philosophy into one last epic adventure novel. I don't know that I would have liked it so much if I hadn't read GR and M&D first.

AtD was the first book of his I read, so I'm partial to it.

Fair enough, though how does that translate into it being the best to start with for everyone? I didn't start with Inherent Vice, but believe it is a good introduction to his work.

I think that "Wild West" elements of AtD, especially with the Traverses' setting, will remind a new Pynchon reader of John Steinbeck's works. Reading those chapters of AtG called to mind The Grapes of Wrath and, strangely enough, The Red Pony.

That makes sense. Realistically you could start anywhere, but if you start with GR expect it to be demanding. I thought I had "worked up" to it, but it still kicked my ass at times.

I haven't started GR yet, but I will after I'm done with Ellis' Glamorama.

Nothing will really prepare you for GR. It's best to just jump in cold and research along the way.

occult mysticism is fun af

How do you research it?

Meu camarada, você tem ótimos livros. Fiquei geleia.

Você já leu aquele "Grécia Clássica"? Se sim, poderia falar um pouco sobre o que achou? E outra, essa editora Vozes é de Portugal?

Opa, Verbo, editora Verbo.

>kare kano
a true patrician
>zatch bell
even from a young age!

You disappointed me with the following shots. I was thinking, wow this user is like Lincoln with only the GOOD stuff, but it was only a part of your collection. Sad shit.

Ainda não li nenhum livro dessa coleção, mas eu estudei artes plásticas, e uma tia que também estudou achou esses livros e me deu, e eu estou desde o ano passado numa "desintoxicação" artística porque eu simplesmente não consigo ler sobre o assunto mais e preciso voltar a fazê-lo pro mestrado (e sim, a editora é portuguesa).

Se você se interessa por história da arte e é um completo iniciante, eu recomendo A História da Arte do Gombrich (tem uma edição de bolso bem barata, se não me engano comprei por 45 reais). Se você não é um completo iniciante, ignore a recomendação e vá atrás das coisas da Contraponto, em particular A Imagem Sobrevivente do Didi-Hubermann

(Esqueci de dizer mas a editora Vozes, do Brasil, apesar de ser basicamente literatura católica tem o catálogo GOAT de filosofia, as traduções do alemão em particular são sensacionais, e muito pouca gente sabe disso)

Obrigado pela dica, anão. Mas na verdade eu me interesso é pelos Gregos e pelos Romanos (sim, caí no meme).

Pros últimos eu desejo ler a obra prima do Gibbon, mas não queria fazê-lo antes de conhecer melhor os Gregos, e sobre eles eu não consigo encontrar uma obra compreensiva, em português, e de preferência que eu pudesse comprar usada (quero o livro físico, para eBooks eu até já encontrei algumas). Infelizmente, comprar dos usuais sites estrangeiros não é opção válida pra mim, visto que eles não chegam.

Outra boa dica. Valeu, anão.

Olha, enquanto não tenho nenhuma obra específica, tem 2 professores - um da UFMG e um da USP - cujos textos e palestras que vi (por acidente, diga-se de passagem) são muito bons, profs. Jacyntho Brandão (UFMG) e Donaldo Schwartz (USP, coincidentemente ele também é o tradutor do Finnegans Wake pra portugues)

Exactly what i was thinking. Bloody hell, where's the essential Mein Kampf?

Is that Kero from that anime and manga with the weird card monsters that was not YuGiOh?

I still haven't found the boxes I packed all my books into, so I won't post a new photo of my pathetic bookcase. I'm still the druid that moved out of mom's basement.

Read Lord of the Rings first. The book is a chic magnet.

Imagino que você pensou em Donaldo Schuler, certo?

Ambos tem vídeos no YouTube, principalmente o Donaldo. Vou assistir a alguns deles.

Mais uma vez agradeço. Um abraço, anão.

Excuse me, this is an English sub cartoon website. Provide a translation at the bottom before posting.

GR is the only pynchon i've read. It was one of the first books I read when I got back into 'serious' reading of fiction, and I didn't find it that troublesome. it left a good enough impression that id like to get to M&D eventually, but that's about as much interest as I have in the guy.

Why? Research on a re-read, just experience it the first time. I don't feel like I missed anything doing that. I looked a few things up after the book but there was nothing particularly eye-opening, just some factoids that made me think 'huh. neat.'

Don't bother imo. Just look up characters if you forget who they are. Their names are so memorable that you probably won't have to.

We're either plotting to turn north-america into our new country or discussing brazilian works about greek antiquity

Satantango e antologia do Bioy.
Parabéns, anão. Bons livros.
Já leu o tratado da magia do Giordano Bruno? É bem interessante.

Não mas como você sabe que eu tenho ainteresse (casual) em magia

i like you.

Foi um tiro no escuro influenciado pelos teus Viveiros de Castro, Peter Lamborn Wilson e Kurt Vonnegut. Me pareceu lógico.

Aliás, qual teu Pynchon preferido?

The Blade Itself trilogy
actually it might be more fun if you read some more classic fantasy like lotr and the like first, Abercrombie messes with the tropes of the genre.

Hopefully the photos aren't too small. I didn't want to obnoxiously post multiple times to get them all. I have slow learner and a few Harold Bloom books lent to friends.

>Unread copy of Infinite Jest.

I think The Idiot is also in mint condition. Eesh.