Anons, what should I read to become funnier and interesting?

Zizek

I should get around to reading him tbqh, but I'd have to start with Lacan and Hegel first and that just seems so bothersome :(

i'd recommend Emil Cioran

now you know you're funnier than he is

reading books won't make you funnier or more interesting

try killing yourself

No you don't. Jesus everyone here falls for the 'you need to read X before you can read y' meme. Just read what you want and look up the shot you don't understand

>he didn't start with the Greeks

Yes I did, alright? I'm sick of people assuming I haven't read the Greeks. I started with them for Pete's sake! Sick of this bullshit. Dont ever reply to my post again.

>mfw I do find Cioran funny

I mean, he wasn't trying, but you can't read a sentence like “It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.” and not laugh

Can I?

Gene Wolfe

Post-modernism

Just watch Seinfeld.

floating opera by barth

Pinecone and RAW have enough neato little factoids to keep your pals reeling with laughter for days! Epic!

Tapestries

you're either naturally funny or you're not and it's better not to force it. you cant do anything to make yourself funny desu

Why? I can practice what's set out in the books.

What do the funny people in your life do?

just repeat things in public that you see people on reddit say.

Eww

Usually funny people have stories to tell, often ones involving interactions with other people. Hate to say it, but you don't get this from reading books anymore than you get it from watching movies or playing video games.

I think it's difficult to change your innate ability to do comedy, as it is largely a part of your temperament. However, I do think you can change your appreciation for comedy. Maybe try Catch 22, or Clockwork Orange.

Did you fart?

The few funny people in my life that are genuinely funny make me laugh because there is some kernel of absurdity at the center of their personality, and it suffuses everything they say and do with SILLYNESS

Suffice it to say I don't know any practiced wits, only natural ones...

But I would say that literature is unusually averse to levity, probably because it's so intellectual, and intellect is weirdly a kind of enemy of comedy.

Eh I disagree. Perhaps comedy isn't as effective on paper because its in a bad prose form, but a well constructed, well timed, well executed, and/or intellectually based joke is some of the best ones out there. Maybe you possibly mean that complex diction is the problem?