Why is living so expensive, Veeky Forums? Groceries cost me roughly 80 dosh a week and that's just for one person...

Why is living so expensive, Veeky Forums? Groceries cost me roughly 80 dosh a week and that's just for one person. What do you do to keep the costs low and still be able to cook nice meals?

Where the fuck do you live? Even in commiefornia I can keep my weekly grocery costs around $50 without really trying.

The Netherlands. Everything is quite expensive here.

how many fucking limes are you buying you retard

Just one or two!

$80 a week is pretty steep.
Common suggestions are going to markets (farmers markets in America?) and getting your stuff there. I know in Aus that fresh vegetables are nearly twice the price from the chain super market than they are from a farmers market. Get meat from butchers, they're not always cheaper but they wont be more expensive and their stuff will /probably/ be better quality. Stock up on home brand things like tuna and pasta, in that line figure out what products aren't really worth spending more money on compared to their cheaper options.I don't have lots of suggestions because what works for me might not for your country depending on manufacturing standards etc.
See if you have a discount food store. There's one near me that carries a lot of near best before stock/stock that didn't sell well for whatever reason. It can be hit and miss but it can be nice stocking a freezer with $2 high quality sausage packs/ bulk bacon for breakfast.

The real challenge comes in when your government taxes the fuck out of booze and a bottle of spirits costs as much as a week worth of food.

go to aldi

Buy in bulk and learn to budget retard.

>buy fruit in bulk

???

How am I able to buy in bulk when everything will just rot within 2 days? I'm also not able to put it in the freezer since its very small.
I don't live near an Aldi. I only have Albert Hijen, Puls, Jumbo and Hoogvliet in my city

Rice, meat, vegetables...

Dumbass

C A N N E D P R O D U C T S

Buy large cuts of meat, whole chickens, turkeys, etc, cook them, and then freeze the excess for later meals.

If you're really sucking for cash, buy frozen veggies instead of fresh.

Canned vegetables are all watery without much flavour.

My small freezer that I need to defrost at some point. Apartment live is not all that cool.

buy cheap or buy quality, you wanna save money? try and make the best of it by seasoning and cooking out the water

Prepare it better/mix it with something. Use seasoning. Can't exactly afford to be picky.

Bulk grains: rice, flour and learn to make your own bread

Eat less meat, eat eggs or beans (buy them dried and soak the day before) instead

Fresh produce like tomatoes, onions, or potatoes can be kept at room temperature

tbqehb 80 dosh is roughly 4 MKII credids
without a Winscreen
you're practically useless

t-thank you?

Wat sort of yurocuck gibberish is this.

Im euro and i have no clue what he said
Because you are not a good shopper obviously.
I feed 2 people with 50-60 euros for 5 days on the weekend we eat out or order in.

jebus, I spend around $900 US on food a month for one person; I really need to learn self control.

Don't have to penny pinch so don't really care. >Load up on starches, faggot.

I live in the Netherlands and I spend like €20 a week on groceries, but I'm cheap as fuck, for €30 or €40 you can eat real nice
>go to aldi or lidl or something instead of expensive stores
>don't by brand shit, it's expensive and tastes the same as cheap stuff
>cook your own shit from scratch, don't buy boxes and microwave dinners, buy vegetables, meat and rice/pasta/potatoes/whatever and make a meal yourself, it's way cheaper
>stop buying shit you don't need like 8 limes, just buy good essentials, ground meat is like €4 a kg and you can do a lot with it
>buy a freezer, a secondhand one can be cheap as fuck and you'll get the money back you save
>make meals in large quantities and freeze them for cheap and easy meals

Just stop being retarded.

> defrost at some point

Dude wtf, ice is covering half your space

Nah, everything I have still fits fine

>Groceries cost me roughly 80 dosh a week
What are you buying?

>Albert Hijen
Pretty expensive, but usually has everything
>not near Aldi
Calculate how much driving to Aldi and back costs once per week and compare it to your usual price.

I buy only whole plant foods, no (((value-added))) bullshit.

What? I live in the netherlands, 20 eu a week is possible.
25-30 is easy enough

Show me your ways