Sushi thread general

Which one do you prefer, traditional or westernized sushi.

>RAW

Designer rolls can be fun. But most of them are pretty retarded. Spider rolls and California rolls in particular are bad.

I just wish they'd stop putting fucking spicy mayonnaise or Siracha in the sushi. The only spice used in sushi should be wasabi. Shits retarded as fuck.

>B-but Japanese mustard is good.

Traditional maki honestly

I still couldn't accept the idea of rolling fruit in it except avocado.

i fuckin love spicy tuna rolls, but i can still appreciate the handrolls and sashimi and nigiri
it has to be real fuckin fresh for the traditional shit to be good, but it doesn't have to be that fresh with the westernized shit like cali rolls and such

Western roll cover the odor emitted from off-fish by spicy source but I wonder whether or not it has health concern.

Westernized sushi is pretty good however, healthwise it's comparable to McDonald's.

Also: I try to avoid restaurants that serve their sushi on bare wooden plates, boates,.. Seems pretty unhygeinic to me, I prefer regular plates of laminated (?) wood.

They're all good!

Not to say that all westernized sushi is bad, but it often misses the point of sushi by needlessly adding shit that only obscures the taste. So i'll usually just stick to nigiri but i'll try other shit if the place has a good reputation.

Which is fair enough if we're talking about regions where you can't get good fresh fish. In that case it makes sense to add other flavors.

I'm okay with both depending on the situation.

Hanging out with friends and we want to go grab some food real quick? Western sushi is totally fine.

Going on a date or friends and i deciding we want to meet up and have dinner? Nicer traditional sushi is what we go for.

Western sushi is revolting.

Both are good. Though I don't like western rolls that add too much crap on a roll.

Here in California(central valley) I can get
>endless dinner service at a sushi boat bar including buffet shit for 15 bucks
Or
>two full size rolls at an actual restaurant for more

And honestly the quality difference is hardly noticeable. Seems like everyone is cutting corners so their fish tastes the same

Traditional. Usually when i go out for sushi, I stick with maki rolls, sashimi, and nigiri. I'm not into all that sauce covered shit, or giant rolls that have way too much going on, you can't even taste the fucking fish.

Japs are OBSESSED with mayonnaise on sushi. I don't fucking get it. It doesn't work at all.

That because you live in the central valley. No offense, it's just fact. Here in NorCal, I can get amazing sushi. And, to be fair, you have much better mexican food there than I do.

Do you guys like Shrimp Po Boy Rolls?

Wat. The. Fuck.

Leave Veeky Forums now.

If by westernized sushi, you mean 'reverse maki rolls' aka rice on the outside, then I prefer that because I like the texture of the rice being the first thing I feel.

If you mean the silliness that is avocado everywhere and california rolls, then traditional please. I'd get nigiri more often if rolls didn't have such a better fullness/cost ratio.

Taco trucks out here are unbeatable

Get out of here with your grocery store trash sushi.

They both have their time and place. It's like asking if you prefer driving or flying to your destination.

It depends on my mood honestly. Went out for lunch today and ended up having one weatern roll and a piece of Uni.

Biggest complaint is the overuse of spicy mayo or eel sauce. After a certain point is just overpowers the flavor.

I'm white.
I order the cali roll no cucumber.
No fucks given.

All pieces and styles that are delicious.

Never been a fan of the deepfried ones or any pieces with crabstick or "Spicy Tuna".

But other than that most things I have tried,as long as they are properly prepared, have been tasty.

Favorite pieces: Broiled Sweet-Water Eel, Salmon, Black Snapper, Squid, Flounder, Sweet-Water Clam, Ikura and Monkfish Liver.

they dont get enough fat in diets so mayonese is nice

just dont eat sushi at all

no

I don't really much care for seafood
but I do like Tamago sushi

i enjoy Americanized shit and traditional stuff as well

Dragon roll best roll

I like the best of both worlds.
I get a couple pieces or tuna, eel, and whatever fish sounds good that day. Then I get a western roll to fill me up. with warm sake and sweet tea or iced tea.

as long as it doesn't have cream cheese. cream cheese does NOT belong in sushi. You can slather me in spicy mayo though idgaf.

that looks completely american

>25$ all you can eat sushi place
>Eat 50 pieces (California and Crunchy), 5 shrimp tempuras, an order of mushroom tempura, and fried cheesecake
Did I get my money's worth, Veeky Forums?

I don't mind spicy source for tuna or salmon.
Retards put those on white fish(sea bream etc.) need to be gassed.

What looks good Veeky Forums

Id say yea. Im going to a place that has all you can eat for 30 bucks. but yiu get a lot of shit with it

it's both good who cares?

turning your fucking phone looks real good about now.

Wegmans is good grocer bad sushi

that typesetting is garbage, I ain't got time to read a damn book

Sushi should never get down to fridge temperatures. It ruins the rice and fish is actually fine for many hours at room temperature or slightly below.

i'd probably try it desu

Stop being a weeaboo little bitch. That is the best part and everybody loves it, even the japanese... cause it's not gormet, it's fucking street food.

I used to live in central, sushi was so cheap there and still pretty satisfying

In LA there's much better sushi but it's not cheap by any means.
>tfw no taylor's hot dogs

I work in a sushi restaurant in New Orleans. We make these. How fucking desperate do you have to be to eat one more than five minutes after it's been made and the tempura has gotten soggy?

>gormet
Retard.

4got ur pic

What?

daily reminder that philly rolls > everything else

Salmon >>> Tuna

as long as its good my mouth don't fucking care.

I hate anything with so much sauce you can't taste anything else. Those are the absolute worst and they're expensive for some reason. I would much rather have a salmon roll, although I prefer sashimi and inari if I'm getting anything

So I want to make a bastardized version because I love imitation crab.

If I buy imitation crab from the supermarket and put it in the freezer while stored, is it safe for me to cut and serve raw?

That is 100% westernized garnage 'sushi'.

Neither, it's literally Japans mcdonalds

>what would the japanese know about sushi

I love sushi but I always feel like I hate it more and more everytime I get it. I always eat it at an all you can eat restaurant near my house, and I order so much that I feel like I'll throw up. I can never stop myself, and I'm too polite to leave shit uneaten.

If you turn up your nose at shrimp tempura rolls just because of "muh authenticity," you're a fucking cunt.

blasphemy

Imitation crab is sold ready-to-eat.

I like both, but salmon isnt a traditional ingredient at all

imitation crab is a cooked product
also sushi fish is best frozen below a certain temperature to kill parasites etc and thawed for use instead of fresh

>eating anything with imitation crab in it at a AYCE sushi.
you're only tricking yourself user, that stuff is cents for pounds, why do you do this to yourself. you're better off ordering sashimi or nigiri only for value

>sushi place delivers

It's terrible, but I was craving it so bad.

I just wish they would fucking stop using the shit-tier fish salmon in the damned sushi.

Traditional duh.

Where can I find sushi like this in [spoiler]Sweden[/spoiler]?

not him but 3/5 plates contain solely japanese pieces.

bottom right: tuna/salmon nigiri, sashimi
top left: tamago nigiri
top middle: sunomono

uhh you guys flyovers or something??

also I'm not saying that it looks like good sushi or fresh fish. just that most of the pieces were traditional jap sushi.

I've only had it once but I thought it was way too sweet. Is it supposed to be or did I just get bad poor quality.

This mentality is silly imo. Eat what is tastiest, not what's most expensive. Why would you? You're not going to shit it out and resell it for profit; value in food is experiential, not cost-based.

Or shouldn't be. That being said, fake crab is gross as fuck. I made the mistake of ordering a crab roll that was basically "crab", mayo, and avocado, and I've never struggled to get something down as hard as I did there. Never again

I've never liked it myself. I don't like most Japanese things involving eggs though. My worst experience was orange, runny, "scrambled eggs" at a Japanese hotel in Kyoto. I think I'm just picky with eggs. Gordan Ramsey thinks runny eggs are good, and Japanese people don't have a problem with tamago nigiri. My taste is probably the issue

More about how it's served, with the oversized farmed salmon and the gigantic disgusting soaked centerpiece plate.

There is nothing Japanese in spirit about that image, sans the cat looking at food.

at least with how most americans make eggs you will fit in

Traditional. Westernized sushi is pretty gross

Definitely some traditional 'shi!

hai hai hai!

Coming from an in-land state any kind will do

I work at a sushi restaurant and I can firmly say the there is really good stuff in the filthy western style and really good stuff that is traditional.

That said fuck California rolls. I have no clue how that shit's popular.

I'm fine with westernized rolls as long as the fish and rice is good. Also no mayo or cream cheese, unless its some sort of spicy drizzle. I have a particular weakness for tempura battered spicy tuna