Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: POTATOES

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: POTATOES.

>MASH 'EM, BOIL 'EM, STICK 'EM IN A STEW

That's right: POTATOES.
What does that mean? Well, if you can't figure this shit out you should probably stay away from the knives.

Dishes will be scored on the following areas, so keep that in mind.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

Suggest themes for next month in this thread and during the voting period a strawpoll will be set up to vote for five suggestions chosen by a maniac that none of you have ever met.
>me
Thanks in advance you glorious glory thing glories.

Remember people, timestamp and unique identifiers. Stop forgetting damn you.

Results of last month will be posted soon, so keep your eyes open.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht#Cold_borscht
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cepelinai
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For me, it's the McChicken

Veeky Forums Challange 07/17 results.

Cold Main Dish Edition.

1st place: Mamushka Doll @ 16.09/20

2nd place: Birdskull @ 15.55/20

3rd place: Shake-kun @ 15.32/20

4th place: Georgiafag @ 14.64/20

5th place: Franz Liszt @ 14.50/20

6th place: Snowman @ 14.45/20

7th place: Akabeko @ 13.91/20

8th place: GradSchoolGuy @ 12.55/20

9th place: Toys @ 12.09/20

9th place: Webmfag @ 12.09/20

10th place: Toothpick @ 11.91/20

11th place: Spice Jar @ 10.73/20

12th place: Ya Dingus @ 8.18/20

There's not a single potato in that fucking thi... well, who knows what's in that shit.
Go fuck yourself.
If this was a well-intentioned bump, don't worry.
I can bump enough for all seven of us.

There are probably not seven of us, it may be the wine talking.
>it's not drinking if it's wine
I love all of you
Hurt by the
>bump
So something and something else too
When you don't know a thing
>this is where Weird Al comes in to play in my mind's... ear

Back-to-back last places with this simply dominant defeat!

Will have all hands and toes on deck for a genuine effort this month

>POTATOES.
Oh shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Good on ya, Ya glorious Dingus.
I will have your babies
>for breakfast
>not really
>okay, maybe
>yum yum yum

>Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: POTATOES.
Awesome. It will be interesting to see what everyone makes.

>shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Mamushka doll here. That was a really close round and there were a lot of solid entries. I'm definitely gonna have to step it up this month. Thanks to everyone who voted and thanks Numbaz for all the work you put in to keeping this challenge going.

My suggestion for next month is vegetarian. It would be interesting for sure.

Congrats Mamushka!

>potato
This is perfect, gives me an excuse to dig back through the old cookbook

>potatoes
Making a dessert then, cuz I don't think anyone else will.

Also
>#3
Holy shit? Really? Thanks! It's not cuz of weebfood, is it?

Where can we see previous entries?

just to be clear, sweet potatoes aren't really potatoes so don't use them
right?

>romanian
>names himself after an hungarian
Might I ask why? I'm from Italy but of muh heritage Hungarian background, kinda like Sarkozy is with being French.

Thanks Franz- I really liked your frog legs and calamari salad. It was super original.

Congrats, Shake-kun! Weeb food or not, your dish looked tasty.

Eh. They're not potatoes, but given how similarly they get used, you could do worse

Not Romanian actually, I'm from the U.S., spent a summer doing research in Bucharest and took the opportunity to pick up some recipes. The trip's from when I used to be really active on /mu/ (i play piano & he's my favorite composer)

Thanks, I had fun making it^^

Really? Fucking potatoes? That's a "challenge"?
I'm out. This has turned into a cook along.

Intradasting.
I've no talent for music. Coming from a musical family as I do makes me think I must be some gypsy baby left at the door one morning and my family decided to just take me in or something.

When Hearts was still around, these were actually challenging and there were actual prizes. Now, it's just an excuse for OC. I'm okay with whatever, so long as OC is produced.
And if you want a challenge, make it challenging or weird. That's why I'm making a potato-based dessert.

It's a nice broad category, and you can make it challenging for yourself by being less of a cock-socket and applying some creativity to the matter.

>POTATOES

I'm out this month, diabeetus, potatoes == death.

>can't into innovation
There's always a Jack or McChicken thread for you.

>he's my favorite composer
He also wrote a kick-ass LISP interpreter.

Well, you could cook a potato entry for someone else to eat... just something to consider.
>supersecretdisguisedbump

Weebness is just as likely to lose points as it is gain them

He also had a great name.
Lizst.
2cool4me

Thanks for the votes and comments everyone. Also, potatoes will be pretty cool since there is not much an excuse to not participate in the next challenge. There are so many options with them, they can be found pretty much anywhere in the world, you do not need any fancy equipment to make them, and they're cheap.

ALSO BUMP

Does it have to be ONLY POTATOES?

I got nobunny to love. :-(

Po-tay-tows should probably be the main component of the dish, or the focus of the dish.
It's really up to the voters.
Just do what I do when I feel like cooking up something more elaborate than a can of sardines: make a tasty dish and then throw it at people on bicycles!
Fun for the whole one person!

How To Make Good Photos Of Food
Courtesy of Webmfag.

If ya spoke any Hungarian, ya might not think so. It means "meal," as in "cornmeal" or "peasemeal" etc. Basically, 'flour.'

So wait: with 'betus, potatoes are bad? I did not know this.

too thicc of a slice of tomato 3.75/10

How To Make Verticals What Are Nice
Courtesy of Webmfag.

>implying anything can be too THICC

How To Make Dank Webms That Are Double Dank
Courtesy of Webmfag.

>So wait: with 'betus, potatoes are bad?
Yes, very. They're mostly starch, after all, and starch is just polymerized sugar molecules.

Same with rice, which is even closer to pure starch than potatoes are. And wheat, corn, cassava. . . .

Are sweet potatoes non Wilford Brimley friendly?

OI!
Will that let me mute the webm so I can post on Veeky Forums with a Mac OS system?

I honestly have no idea.
Webms are not yet in my wheelhouse.
Sorry that I'm not being helpful in any way at all.
>tanks for de bump

I could go for a potato right about now.
Might bake a few and then devour them like some sort of weird lizard man thing.
My Veeky Forums habit might be leaking into my Veeky Forums posting.
It's an illness, and there doesn't seem to be a cure.
>and that's fine by me
>also this is a poorly disguised bump
>that might be another symptom of the illness

Bump from page 7

Bump

I'm approaching it like iron chef, improvise a dish around a theme ingredient and try to express its best qualities.

Oh fuck yes. They're worse than regular potatoes because they're chock full of sugars (monosaccharides and disaccharides) on top of the starch (polysaccharides).

How about I do a potato substitute, like a steak? We can just pretend it's a "potato", sort of like vegans pretend that tofu with flavoring is "chicken".

Seeing as I know no diabetics and that sweet potato is not a common food in my culture, I can only go by what Google tells me and it says sweet potatoes are actually great for diabetics. The boniato variety, especially, can subsitute for regular potato because it's considerably less sweet.
Again, this is all hearsay, but maybe Google is on to something. If you could eat them, wouldn't it make you happy to have a potato-like substitute to make mash from? Since you're more invested in it than I ever could be (being that you're actually diabetic), look into it and let us know if Google has misled me.
I wouldn't wanna live in a world without mashed potatoes.

>9th place: Toys @ 12.09/20
I think I should feel butthurt about being so low, but then again, it was a lovely experience. Will have to step up my game for this months challenge, that is if all will be good.

LOL no. When I google "sweet potato diabetes", the top results are sites saying that they are "better than" regular potatoes for diabetics. (One of the sites is from the North Carolina Sweet Potato Growers Commission, I'm sure they have my best interests in mind.) That doesn't mean that they are GOOD FOR diabetics.

Any type of carbohydrate is bad; they all inevitably get transformed into glucose, which either has to be burned or stored, which requires more insulin, which stresses the body. Physicians used to teach this for diabetes management, but now we have injectable insulin and a few dozen drugs that can be used to treat it, and so now they go around telling people, "Sure, go ahead, eat a bag of potato chips! Then you can inject some more insulin to bring down your glucose level! So what if it causes vascular damage and will eventually make you lose your feet and go blind, you can eat chips now!!! Hey, we also have SGLT2 drugs now! You can take those and just piss all of that extra glucose out! So what if you'll need a kidney transplant in a decade? Have a couple of kids so they can donate a kidney to you!"

The proper way to manage diabetes is to not eat carbs. This means you don't have to inject a shitload of insulin, don't have to take drugs that will eventually destroy your body, won't lose your toes, feet, fingers, eyes, and kidneys, and won't have to monitor your blood sugar levels constantly ("Hey, we got a new continuous glucose monitor! Only $1000 per month to replace the platinum-electrode needle sensors that you have to stick into your body!") so that you don't pass out from low blood sugar or go into a diabetic coma from high blood sugar.

I just don't think there're many cultures left which eat aspic, so many people who voted can't appreciate how wonderful it truly can be.

Are canned aspics common in Lithumuhwania? In Italy, Simmenthal is a pretty common brand of beef aspic sold in cans. And it's delicious.

>he doesn't understand Glycemic Index
Retard.

Yeah, I'm completely ignorant on diabetic diets and treatments, but I know all about dietary management because reasons.
Sorry to hear, friend-o.
What were your prior entries in the challenge?
Could cauliflower, which is under 3g of carbs per 100g servings, make for a decent potato substitute for you?

If you mean pre-packaged you can buy in the store, then yes. But if you mean in an actual can - no, they sell them in plastic containers in here.
I guess you are right, I think it might actually be the combination of what you said and the fact that younger generations don't eat 'yucky' looking food.
I remember when I was in Ireland and made some en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht#Cold_borscht for local, they said it was delicious and proceeded to ask me what goes it to it. Then, when they found out that there are some soured milk going in it - freaked out and started complaining that I am a monster. I know Irish do like to take a piss, but this time they were for real. Pussies.

Before the Colombian exchange taro root was widely used in Indian cuisine. A lot of the potato dishes today are just direct replacements of the taro root recipes. I don't know if it's good for diabetics but I'm sure you can make something good with it.

In an actual can. Butchers and supermarkets don't sell homemade aspic anymore. For that, I'd have to cross the border into Slovenia, I think. If not go even further and into Hungary. We like our canned aspic, though.

Now, when you say "soured milk," do you mean pasukos or gretine (insert dot where appropriate)? Or something else? Cuz Irish people use both in cooking so I'd wager they were likely taking the piss.

>gretine
Err... 'grietine,' rather.

I would accept a taro based entry as a potato dish from beetus-bro if it's something he can eat.

Brb making vodka

>"soured milk," do you mean pasukos or gretine
I mean kefiras or rugpienis. But no, they were crying and moaning and shit. I've lived there for five years and I know how they take the piss, hence I knew it was for real.

Fancy-ass potato chips to make up for my shitshow of an entry for last month.

I understand "glycemic index" just fine. I also understand that mainlining heroin is different from slapping a fentanyl patch on your dick, but the end result to either one is addiction, health damage, and eventual death.

>I know all about dietary management because reasons.
Sympathies! I hope whatever it is, managing diet prevents any problems.

>cauliflower
Sure, no prob there. But if I entered cauliflower they'd probably put me in last place behind Ya Dingus. I'll just hang on until next month, when the challenge will probably be "drink a gallon of HFCS". That or I'll post a potato-shaped ball of bacon. :-)

Neat idea, never thought of it. But looking it up it's 28% carbohydrates and about 2% anything else. Bacontato!!!!!

I'm not good at taking photos but this is my entry. It's a curry potato taco with ground pork, curried tortillas, kewpie mayo, okonomiyaki sauce, radishes, katsuoboshi, and grated salt cured egg on top. Most of my prep was done yesterday, with the salt cured eggs being started on Friday.

New Mexico?

California.

Timestamp? Proofs?

Assembly

Gimme a unique identifier and something to refer to you as.
Also, why would you go and make me hungry like that?
You delicious monster.

Yeah, you were holding steady at Second Place, but last month... Tenth.
Hey, we all learn from our mistakes.

Bumping the thread with my wholly unrelated dinner.
Ten internets to whomever should guess what it is.

Lemme see if I can pull my prep out then. Identifier: loco

Is it a bowl of carrots, red cabbage and broccoli topped with a gently fried egg?
It makes me think of a flag, though I can't remember which one.
Sorry.

No idea, but my gramma had those same bowls and they're the shit

Bump

Bump
Bump
Goose

soonTM by Toys

Kugelis by Toys.
I still can't take photos for shit.

Bet it was tasty. A shredded green onion garnish or even sliced grren onion would have helped your photo here. Also, because it's an Internet challenge and one quarter of the votes are for appeal, a good description of your ingredients used and the cooking process is appreciated.

I will make a collage later on. Little busy right now - all the family needs to be fed.
Thanks for the advice, I am sure one day I'll learn how to make a picture that doesn't suck ass.

Yes, no, no and yes, in that order.
The two 'nos' are beetroot fried rice with chilli and garlic and mustards sauteed with garlic. The carrots were braised with various spices and about a tsp of coconut cream.

Thanks. My brother bought me the set. They're nice and I like them.

Just read up on it and that's similar to a dish we eat where I'm from called gattò. Ours is a mashed potato casserole layered with smoked cheese and various cured meats, topped with fried breadcrumbs. It's served with salad on the side. I was considering making that for the challenge but decided to go with a dessert instead. Gonna pick up ingredients for it Wednesday, although I'm cooking baker's lamb and potatoes for lunch today.

Anyone got an image joiner website or app to join a bunch of shit together?

I might be going on a work trip this week, and that's a long ass work trip - might be two-three months. So I've decided to cook my thing ASAP. It was delicious.

Thanks for the Entry, Toys.

>I will make a collage later on
Here it is.

A little bit more.

And another one.

Do you live in Lithuania?

Mostly, yes. But my work takes me around the world(mostly EU, but sometimes other places).

Cool, what do you do for work?

A few weeks ago I was looking into traditional Polish dishes. I'm Polish but live in Canada and I don't really cook much Polish food (bland and boring to me). Was an older family friend's birthday so I decided to do a whole dinner with only Polish dishes, ones that I don't cook often. This was the first time I came across Kugelis as apparently it's a thing in eastern regions of Poland. I ended up making Didžkukuliai en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cepelinai instead.

I do mechanical assembly, as vague as it sounds.
My work took me to Poland too, and I enjoyed it there. The food and the people. But I was staying in a small town, so this might be why.
Kugelis is piss easy to make if you have a food processor(unlike what I did, using a grater) and potatoes are cheap too.
Cepelinai(proper ones) are a bitch to make. You need to do shit to potatoes before you form them things.

Testing phoneposting.
Technically this involves potatoes

Boiled
Mashed
Stuck in stew

You can barely see the potatoes but it tastes good anyway, can I enter now?

Name/identifier?

Starting this now.

Oh, I like where this is going.

kinda agree, desu, i'd like to see a category that takes people out of their comfort zone a little more

Bump

Red potato lobster bisque with brie duchess potatoes and purple dauphin potatoes. Description and pics to follow later