I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen. Why is this allowed?

I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen. Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16904539
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19828712/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12442909/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312295/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why is this allowed?

Why is what allowed? Your strange mental state? Or coca cola?

BTW, you can make cola in your kitchen.

Me neither. I avoid industrially produced food.

You do realise that the only real difference between factories and domestic kitchens is scale and use of additives for consistent quality and increased shelf life?

For instance, it's perfectly possible to brew something very similar to Coca Cola in your own home, but can you ensure that it turns out just as good every single time you make it?

Yeah, sure (((buddy)))

That's not the whole picture, though.

Mass consisstency requires using lowest-common-denominator ingredient quality.

There are also frequent trade-offs made that favor things like long shelf life or durability during shipping at the cost of quality.

Nice (((retort))).

Ingredients:
1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
3 oz (85 g) citric acid
1 US fl oz (30 ml) vanilla extract
1 US qt (946 ml) lime juice
2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring", i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
30 lb (14 kg) sugar
4 US fl oz (118.3 ml) fluid extract of coca leaves (flavor essence of the coca leaf).
2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
caramel sufficient to give color
"Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool."
Flavoring (Merchandise 7X):
1 qrt alcohol
80 oil orange
40 oil cinnamon
120 oil lemon
20 oil coriander
40 oil nutmeg
40 oil neroli
"Let stand 24 hours."

It's also ingredient quality. In order to mass produce food with a long shelf life you pretty much have to use seriously degraded ingredients. Even basic shit gets fucked up - sugar becomes HFCS, flour becomes enriched bleached brominated flour, lemon juice gets replaced with citric acid, olive oil gets replaced with soy/palm/cottonseed bullshit.

That's true. That's the reason why supermarket tomatoes often taste bland compared to heirloom varieties. They're bred to be high-yield and to ship well over long distances. Fresh produce of any kind is far better than overripe, rotting mush.

Still, saying that factory food is somehow more 'dangerous' than home-made is pretty ridiculous, especially if you're a sloppy cook with Pajeet-level hygiene standards. And ultimately, worrying about what you eat is more vital than where it's from; home-made doughnuts will clog your arteries just as surely as Dunkin's, if not worse if you fry them in saturated animal fat.

There's that "saturated fat causes atherosclerosis" meme again!

But it does. It's common knowledge at this point, along with the fact that certain unsaturated fats (e.g. linoleic acid/Omega 6) also have poor effects on health.

Literally every single diet plan made by qualified nutritionists, and even a lot of fad diets advise eating a wide variety of healthy unsaturated fats and giving saturated fats a wide berth. Even then, fats should be eaten sparingly, because all of them have the potential to cause heart disease and increase the risk for developing others (e.g. type 2 diabetes).

>I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen. Why is this allowed?

Because it's immoral to regulate people's health decisions in a free society

>Still, saying that factory food is somehow more 'dangerous' than home-made is pretty ridiculous

I don't think anyone said that.

I watch Adam Ruins Everything too. Its a pop science liberal garbage show

>I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen.

Then what exactly did the OP imply with this statement, if not that? By that logic, do they also think willow-tea is a more 'trustworthy' medicine than generic Aspirin tablets from a pharmacy?

I can't speak for OP, but I don't trust commercially produced food to taste good. I have no worries about safety, rather I expect the food to taste bad (relatively speaking) due to the aforementioned shortcuts and shitty ingredients. It's not safety I lack trust in, it's flavor.

I thought kola nuts were involved at some point?

Can't legally make coca-cola though, as it's still flavored with coca leaves that have had the cocaine removed.

You can make something close enough that the distinction is irrelevant.

And I'm sure if you really cared enough you could source cocoa leaves, though I can't imagine the hassle would be worth it.

>But it does. It's common knowledge at this point,
Sure sounds like a funny thing to say when you won't even find a single scientific study claiming it causes it.

>'dangerous'
One could make the argument that food that provides lots of calories with little in the way of nutrition, while simulating the flavor of nutritious food is dangerous. It's what allows people to become obese and malnourished at the same time.

i'm trying to drop soda entirely, how much better would it be to switch to lemonade?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16904539
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19828712/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12442909/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312295/

Not much, switch to flavored seltzer water.

Mostly useless. Theyre both sugar water

you can though

An ice cold coca cola once in a while is one of life's small pleasures.

Depends, if you're making it yourself with less sugar it'll be healthier. If you're drinking packaged lemonade it'll have as much sugar as soda. If you're a guy you should limit your daily sugar intake to about 40 grams = 10 teaspoons = 3 tablespoons, and one serving of soda/lemonade could have all of that.

Yeah it'd be better if more people thought of it as a dessert/treat and drank it in 6 oz portions. It's not a substitute for water.

This.

>what is a sodastream

They removed it early 20th century over fears it would cause black men to rape white women

clearly didn't work. must be one of the other ingredients.