Is this man really our guy? On the surface you might make the mistake of screaming no...

Is this man really our guy? On the surface you might make the mistake of screaming no, but once you look past the veil of pseudointellectual circlejerk you'll bare the truth

This is the common man who sees the big picture. He makes no effort to lie: he fully accepts that he is pulp and even likens his works to fast food. He isn't a pseud, he isn't a "philosopher" acting like his opinions aren't just pasttime for people taking a shit while science actually deconstructs the world atom by atom. This man lives doing what he loves, and although obviously talented as his better works imply, he simply does what he likes.

He seems like a jolly fellow. Leading us from one adventure to the next. His name will stand the test of time.

Other urls found in this thread:

shortlist.com/entertainment/books/20-things-you-(probably)-didnt-know-about-stephen-king
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>and even likens his works to fast food

Where did he do this?

shortlist.com/entertainment/books/20-things-you-(probably)-didnt-know-about-stephen-king

I like his writing style. It's very simple.

>he fully accepts that he is pulp and even likens his works to fast food.

Yeah but for some reason he's upset the academia doesn't take him (or other "pop writers") seriously.

Veeky Forums doesn't really talk about him so he is not our guy

he's also called his work "salami"

What are his top 5 books?

in no order
>it
>misery
>nightmares and dreamscapes
>skeleton crew
>nightshift

if you're talking novels then tommyknockers, needful things, the shining, or desperation replace the last 3.

honorable mention: pet semetary was his best idea

Please stop coming in here from reddit and talking about how everyone in literature except Stephen King and Orson Scott Card are pseuds, high-minded, or pretentious. Stephen King has more pretense than Thomas Pynchon or James Joyce (maybe not DFW, to be honest), & most of the writers discussed on here. That's not to say he's bad, but you think you outsmarted everyone on here because you got frustrated on your 3rd attempt to read someone other than King. This is like how Americans will constantly try to argue that television is a legitimate medium of art-- and it is, it just has more pretense than painting, literature, or music.

Sorry, bub, I like getting newcomers on Veeky Forums other than the 3 other guys and myself, but you need to go back.

Thanks. I read Nightmares and Needful Things years ago but enjoyed them. I've got a few of his books knocking about, but I've not dared touch IT or The Stand yet. In all honesty I've never read such long books.

Ive never even read King. "Le go back to memeddit" only discredits your stupid shit further. This board is full of laughably pretentious cucks like you who actually think something like "philosophy" is important or a subject worth spending time on. Are you so retarded that you need to steal your ideas and thoughts from people that have died hundreds of years ago? There is literally nothing more pseudointellectual in this world than philosophy, and this board is constantly creaming over philosophers like the ragtag group of fresh highschooler fedoras they are.

libtard

No, really, go back to whatever shithole you came from.

>g-go back

go kill yourself fedoralord

not surprised that's the best reply you could come up with

stay dumb

if you want to discuss stephen king that's your choice, but don't come here and force your preferences down our throats and then cry when we tell you to fuck off

11/22/63 is the single greatest time travel book ever written. It uncannily evokes the terror of seeing mundane societies in the past and how alien they feel to us now.

coked out King was best King

If we supply him with coke and booze would he write us something batshit crazy again?

This.

I'm so tired of this King shill.

I dunno why anyone likes him, I get that he is easy to read but there are far more talented horror and fantasy writers around

Nigga look funny Lmao

Different Seasons was prime King, still my favorite book of mine. lot of his stuff is hit or miss though, his son Joe Hill is loads more consistent and tends to do conclusions better

none of that changes the fact that OP is a fucking homo

He should've written more Richard Bachman books

>This is like how (((Americans))) will constantly try to argue that television is a legitimate medium of art

He'll be forgotten within 10 years of his death.
It's happened before.

I like him. He does whatever the fuck he wants, and that's the way a writer should be.

If he was less commercial I'd agree.

>and it is, it just has more pretense than painting, literature, or music.
Could someone please explain to me how "pretense" is being used in this sentence, I don't really get it

I like his early short story collections. Not into his novels or his more recent stuff.

Doubtful since he's been popular and referenced even in films back in the 60s.

>I like his early short story collections. Not into his novels
I think in general the short stories are better

You said the same thing but longer.

Read Hearts in Atlantis my man

Because they act like he doesn't know anything about writing a book when he's written many bestsellers. All because he doesn't write stuff that fits an esoteric list of vague qualities they pulled out of their ass.

lol

Kek, nice larp

>referenced even in films back in the 60s
His first book was published in 1974

Sshhh
Don't wake him, he's dreaming

>pseudointellectual

how is he a pseud? I never got the impression he even tries to be an intellectual.

Never read him. Care to give a few recs ?

Like, his 5 best novels. And which ones should be avoided.

tommyknockers is one of the worst books ive ever picked up

How retarded are you? Learn to read

This. Read Cujo in one sitting and King doesn't even remember writing it.

King is a great entry-level link to lit, which doesn't remove any pretense for credibility.