Which writer writes the consistently best constructed sentences in the past 100 years?

Which writer writes the consistently best constructed sentences in the past 100 years?

Joyce

examples

italo calvino

examples

Just pop open the last chapter of Ulysses my dude

Tolkien

Conrad

This guy's writing is incredibly underwhelming compared to the praise he gets.

Updike
p
d
i
k
e

Pirandello

this. I think Dubliners would be the best proof of his conventional writing chops

Best constructed as in straightforward and robust? Possibly Carver. Lean, economic, incredibly readable.

Kafka

Borges

Whatever you subjectively think constitutes "best"

Carver is a good choice

Nabokov.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Truman Capote
Ernest Hemingway
Cormac McCarthy

Nabokov
Kafka
Hemingway

Henry James
It's close okay

I haven't read all of Dubliners, but Araby has some of my favorite writing. A few examples:

>The space of sky above us was the colour of ever-changing violet and towards it the lamps of the street lifted their feeble lanterns. The cold air stung us and we played till our bodies glowed.

>She was waiting for us, her figure defined by the light from the half-opened door. Her brother always teased her before he obeyed, and I stood by the railings looking at her. Her dress swung as she moved her body, and the soft rope of her hair tossed from side to side.

>We walked through the flaring streets, jostled by drunken men and bargaining women, amid the curses of labourers, the shrill litanies of shop-boys who stood on guard by the barrels of pigs' cheeks, the nasal chanting of street-singers, who sang a come-all-you about O'Donovan Rossa, or a ballad about the troubles in our native land. These noises converged in a single sensation of life for me: I imagined that I bore my chalice safely through a throng of foes.

I like this stuff.

Imagine what it must be like to read that and be irish at the same time (that is, to naturally get the references)

wew lad

naomi klein

F. Scott Fitzgerald

His ideas aren't as deep as some other authors. And I'll concede his books aren't as dense with allusions and symbolism as someone like Joyce or even Hemingway. But make no mistake, Fitzgerald could write a sentence that made your soul ache with longing. And I'm not just talking about Gatsby.

Henry Green

Malcolm Gladwell

Robert Graves

almost barfed

> Dark and lovely tree shadows raced across the white gallery and the shadows of my two comrades continually glided toward me getting devoured by the pursuing shadow of the door frame. Then, all of a sudden, red signal luminescence rushed into the boxcar and flushed us with the blood of the entire world.

Gass
source: The Tunnel

>using shadow multiple times in consecutive sentences with no sense of rhythm or reason.

absolutely disgusting

And if anyone's looking for recommendations, try 'All the Sad Young Men' (specifically "The Rich Boy"), 'The Diamond as Big as the Ritz,' or 'The Beautiful and Damned'

>The water shone pacifically; the sky, without a speck, was a benign immensity of unstained light; the very mist on the Essex marsh was like a gauzy and radiant fabric, hung from the wooded rises inland, and draping the low shores in diaphanous folds. Only the gloom to the west, brooding over the upper reaches, became more sombre every minute, as if angered by the approach of the sun.

How's this?

James died in 1916 senpai

name a single good sentence in The Tunnel besides the meme "wildflower" one, the opening one, or any of the other meme sentences that people post on here as if they were examples of good writing.

Proust. Julien Gracq. Bernhard. Kafka (third mention in the thread).

The first two are purple af, but the third one is sublime.

Unironically Pynchon.

>Joyce
>Nabokov
>Proust

non-meme choice would be Henry Miller, plus he makes you diamonds

gass

Not you, apparently.